Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

p' sure revolution in the metropol won't happen so I wish china a speedy victory over the forces of fascism in ww3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
they ought to make their own Top Gun about a preemptive strike against an unnamed rogue Western nation

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
There's a Chinese action movie The Battle at Lake Changjin about them fighting off the US in the Korean war that someone recommended but I haven't watched it yet.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Vox Nihili posted:

lol @ having the crazy meme guy on a voter guide in the first place

It was for our local Palestinian Liberation org and at first someone just put all the candidates calling for a ceasefire on it.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/kcranews/status/1767732340845862998

Yeah we can feed a few more trillions into the black hole of Cali HSR.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

quote:

Central Valley segment between Merced and Bakersfield... That segment of the project is expected to be fully operational between 2030 and 2033.
justg nuke this stupid assf loving country this poo poo was voted on in like 2008

i'm learning mandarin, cya suckers

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i hope china takes over and pays me to convert all the middle lanes to trains

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

President Xi my people yearn for transit

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i hope china takes over and pays me to convert all the middle lanes to trains

should put them in the right-lane, it's the fastest lane

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

one of the last good free things about this state is weird small FM radio, had a fun call-in moment with tonight's dj

when it all falls apart i will pledge my labor to the best music lord of the wastes

Chard has issued a correction as of 07:11 on Mar 18, 2024

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Xaris posted:

justg nuke this stupid assf loving country this poo poo was voted on in like 2008

i'm learning mandarin, cya suckers

the most perplexing thing, to me, is that the 5 already runs along this entire route. ... ? its already govt property. ?????

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

i5 belongs to the devil, not his intermediaries

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Smythe posted:

the most perplexing thing, to me, is that the 5 already runs along this entire route. ... ? its already govt property. ?????

muh traffic

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

depressurize i5 for frictionless travel

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Wait are there parts of California where they say “i5” instead of “the 5?”

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

WrasslorMonkey posted:

norcal vs socal divide. socal is known for using "the ___"

that said im norcal born and bred and i say the 101 or just get on 580. we norcallers usually don't say i but don't say the either.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
if you say "the 5" in norcal you're instantly flagging yourself as a socal transplant, and everyone will judge you for it

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

WrasslorMonkey posted:

What's your story? How did you arrive here?

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Bald Stalin posted:

What's your story? How did you arrive here?

From AZ originally, moved to socal pretty young, and I don’t drive so I never really had a vocabulary for interstates. After being here a couple decades my family came to visit and kept saying “interstate one” and “interstate ten” and it was like daggers in my ears. lol.

I guess I didn’t talk driving plans with norcalers often enough to notice the “i” usage.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Xaris posted:

muh traffic

isnt there room on either side of it??? its a freakin train

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
put some normal train or whatever up to, uh, the base of the grapevine or whatever, at the edge of the dense populated area. then end the train, uh, idk just barely south of sf. then just puyt the hypertrain in the big flat middle along the 5. boom done. takes me 10 minutes.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

WrasslorMonkey posted:

From AZ originally, moved to socal pretty young, and I don’t drive so I never really had a vocabulary for interstates. After being here a couple decades my family came to visit and kept saying “interstate one” and “interstate ten” and it was like daggers in my ears. lol.

I guess I didn’t talk driving plans with norcalers often enough to notice the “i” usage.

Alright this checks out. You're now an approved CA poster.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

This reminded me of the first time I watched those "The Californians" sketches from SNL for the first time, and the surreal feeling I got when all their conversations about driving routes were the same exact fuckin things I heard every day at my first job in socal.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
who the gently caress watches snl?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
loving sitting down and watching snl until you memorize sketches, jesus christ

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

I record every SNL on VHS tape and play them on repeat for the entire following week unless the tape wears out.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Imagine being accused of being a transplant because you're from a culturally irrelevant part of the state

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
There's culturally relevant parts of this state?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Animal-Mother posted:

There's culturally relevant parts of this state?

yep Jefferson and bear week

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Smythe posted:

When they first started they consulted with some French company who suggested exactly this. But the 5 doesn't go through Bakersfield, Fresno, Modesto etc and we have to buy off local politicians or something so that was thrown out immediately.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

It does make sense that you'd want hsr to go through population centers

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That depends on the goals of the project. If you want to connect the major metro centers of LA and SF as quickly and cheaply as possible in an effort to replace air traffic between them, then maybe you don't want to stop in all those central valley cities. Sort of the same reason that the 5 itself does not stop in any of those cities.

bawfuls has issued a correction as of 21:48 on Mar 18, 2024

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/kcranews/status/1767732340845862998

Yeah we can feed a few more trillions into the black hole of Cali HSR.

Give it to them. Please finish this garbo.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Just make it to Vegas. I don't want to visit San Jose anyways.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

a.lo posted:

Brightline is building a Vegas branch, but the California terminal will be in Rancho Cucamonga. They're relying on CAHSR to build the link into LA.

Also, the headline is misleading - it makes it sound like they've already spent $100 billion when they've only spent about a tenth of that so far.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Weembles posted:

Also, the headline is misleading - it makes it sound like they've already spent $100 billion when they've only spent about a tenth of that so far.

That's somehow even worse considering how long they've been "building" this thing lol

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Morbus posted:

That's somehow even worse considering how long they've been "building" this thing lol

That's how non-freeway infrastructure construction works here. You can't spend what it would take to build the project in one lifetime because you get headlines like the one above. Instead, you spend as slowly a possible so everything takes a lifetime to build and costs 200 times as much.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

a.lo posted:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
last i saw there are going to be several at-grade crossings for it through the bay

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

last i saw there are going to be several at-grade crossings for it through the bay

lol

lol
Cool