Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

last i saw there are going to be several at-grade crossings for it through the bay

lol

that grade? F

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

last i saw there are going to be several at-grade crossings for it through the bay

lol
lmfao it's going to have constant delays everytime an suv thinks they can beat the light and the guards and gets stuck gridlocked on the rail and gets plowed

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Xaris posted:

lmfao it's going to have constant delays everytime a cybertruck thinks they can beat the light and the guards and gets stuck gridlocked on the rail and gets plowed

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPz16LHTtpo

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
What if it's not really meant to be built nor good? Maybe it's all going to plan

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
oh yeah it's gonna vaporize some cars

i wonder if it'll be going fast enough past san jose to derail from a collision like that

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

oh yeah it's gonna vaporize some cars

i wonder if it'll be going fast enough past san jose to derail from a collision like that

i think there's federal rail regulations that basically require trains to go like 15 mph through towns if not grade separated or something dumb like that

partly why vta is so loving stupid, other than just being vta

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Xaris posted:

i think there's federal rail regulations that basically require trains to go like 15 mph through towns if not grade separated or something dumb like that

partly why vta is so loving stupid, other than just being vta

It's going to run up the caltrain tracks. Caltrain already exists and doesn't run at 15 mph or hit cars every other day.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
the shinkansen was also way over budget and a clusterfuck at the time, but we all know how that ultimately ended up.

hold the line, finish the HSR and we'll forget all about the budget nonsense when it's done.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Rail will never come to my county so whatever

Too landslidey, earthquakey, not enough people, nimbys,etc

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.
California government can't do anything except give already wealthy people more money for doing nothing so unless a rich person wants to build rail it's just never going to happen. I hope this clears some things up for the people in this thread :)

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
As soon as the HSR is finished some 4.7 will knock it offline for five years.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Weembles posted:

It's going to run up the caltrain tracks. Caltrain already exists and doesn't run at 15 mph or hit cars every other day.

yeah FRA standards have a maximum of 79 mph for level grade crossings (unless they're special grade crossings that have gates on all 4 sides and obstruction detectors, which I've never seen in CA). so, that's the maximum speed you can run at on the Caltrain corridor rn

I'm not sure what the track class for the Caltrain corridor is off the top of my head. Class 4 has a limit of 80 mph for passenger travel. I know that the electrification project has been replacing the wooden sleepers with concrete ones, and they publicly anticipate traffic of up to 110mph on the route, so they might be upgrading the track to Class 6.

hypothetically if they upgraded the grade crossings they could run trains up to 124 mph over level crossings

https://toolkits.ite.org/gradecrossing/sec04a.htm

edit: according to this PDF the "blended criteria" for mixed Caltrain / CAHSR traffic will be Class 6 track (110 mph max)

https://hsr.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/Final_EIRS_FJ_V2-06_APP_2-D_Applicable_Design_Standards.pdf

corona familiar has issued a correction as of 02:31 on Mar 20, 2024

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

corona familiar posted:

yeah FRA standards have a maximum of 79 mph for level grade crossings (unless they're special grade crossings that have gates on all 4 sides and obstruction detectors, which I've never seen in CA). so, that's the maximum speed you can run at on the Caltrain corridor rn

I'm not sure what the track class for the Caltrain corridor is off the top of my head. Class 4 has a limit of 80 mph for passenger travel. I know that the electrification project has been replacing the wooden sleepers with concrete ones, and they publicly anticipate traffic of up to 110mph on the route, so they might be upgrading the track to Class 6.

hypothetically if they upgraded the grade crossings they could run trains up to 124 mph over level crossings

https://toolkits.ite.org/gradecrossing/sec04a.htm

edit: according to this PDF the "blended criteria" for mixed Caltrain / CAHSR traffic will be Class 6 track (110 mph max)

https://hsr.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/Final_EIRS_FJ_V2-06_APP_2-D_Applicable_Design_Standards.pdf

Hm dunno I'm gonna need Hadlock to chime in on this one

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

A week of nice weather and whoops here's more daily rain for the predicted future. Such is life in California

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Hey at least we don't have drought to worry about for now

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

*drought comes back in*

forgot mah keys

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

titty_baby_ posted:

A week of nice weather and whoops here's more daily rain for the predicted future. Such is life in California

rain is nice weather

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

We planted two oak trees at home last fall and I was really starting to worry that one of them wasn't gonna make it, but they are both a vibrant green and full of new growth now thanks to the good winter of rain we had.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
free car wash if nothing else

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

titty_baby_ posted:

lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

The Voice of Labor posted:

*drought comes back in*

forgot mah keys

lol yea

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Chard posted:

rain is nice weather

It is until its February and it's been raining almost every day for weeks on end

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I can't complain I moved away from the valley on purpose for this

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
People complaining about rain in tyool 2024 need to stfu tbh it's boomer poo poo

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

you don't know what it's like

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
You're right I don't it doesn't rain here enough so stfu ;)

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

bald Stalin, please practice empathy

titty_baby_ has issued a correction as of 18:15 on Mar 23, 2024

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
MORE RAIN.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I hope it rains forever and everyone who hates rain cry's and cry's and cry's

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I just miss Mister Sun

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lol

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

You want to fight?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
do you want to learn how to use apostrophes

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

N'o

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

do you want to learn how to use apostrophes

yeah it goes right after I kick your rear end

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
idk i've got a p big rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

MORE RAIN.

wet here.

e: sun came out now