Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

titty_baby_ posted:

I heard another take on the dialysis one was that it was a push to raise the price of dialysis (forcing clinics to always have a doctor on hand)

i heard this too, apparently a lotta doctors were tut-tutting it for being a big unnecessary new cost

still voted for it because gently caress that dialysis monopoly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Mayor Dave posted:

Prop 22 is impossible to unwind, it requires a 7/8 majority to amend or repeal

no. it requires 7/8 majority of the lege to amend

another prop could change or repeal it with 50% of the votes from the public needed to pass

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

titty_baby_ posted:

Well it turns out her father was one of the founders of stormfront and he lived in fresno.

david duke lives in louisiana

lol they were just a stormfront mod and had to exaggerate that poo poo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
sacramento has the third largest urban tree canopy in the world, behind vancouver and singapore

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Bideo James posted:

its been steadily decreasing as rents go up and vacancy increase lol

anyways i just left that hellhole after 6 years

still three times what paris has

it's nice, we even have our own confounding kind of fog

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
for real i gotta get better headlights, that poo poo is dangerous and my jeep basically just has lovely 40 watt incandescents or some nonsense

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
yeah when i used to live in new orleans the fog would regularly kill people commuting in from the north shore across the lake pontchartrain causeway because it's a 20+ mile 2-lane bridge over warm water filled with half-awake morning drivers so you just get highspeed pileups on the reg

fog is no joke on the road

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
sac daycare costs just under half what it does in silicon valley

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Xaris posted:

were they yelling at you that paper straws are able-ist? Berkeley tried to ban disposable straws but that was able-ist (as if you know, humans havent been consuming liquids for hundred of thousands of years before the invention of a straw) and then they did paper straws but that was also ableist because some people have a paper allergy or cant drink fast enough

the best one i heard was some cluster b rear end in a top hat complaining that the paper straws are ableist because some people are too mentally ill to not chew up and eat the straws

also lol when they arrived in individually-sealed plastic sleeves

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Raskolnikov38 posted:

it’s an English language acquisition issue but holy lol it should literally be at the bottom of a list of problems to be solved

they also tend to obscure speaking and writing to anyone unfamiliar with the jargon and can easily get out of hand

but lol there is a global pandemic going on right now that's loving up schools big time

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Yea I would grow outside is I had a yard, but I live in LA...

lolling at the idea of growing weed in a local community garden next to like tomatoes and cucumbers

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Larry Parrish posted:

as a el dorado county hillbilly i generally lol at the concept of paying for weed, and not growing it outside, and also not shipping it out of state illegally. everybody i know who grows still sells it black market out of state because it pays more than the legal and gray market lol. well besides the people who actually smoke it themselves.

all my friends still in louisiana like to annoy me about shipping it back there, because even with postage it's still cheaper here than what they can get there, nevermind quality

loving lol at risking prison time for that poo poo tho

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
stormwater/erosion control for active construction projects is still required to be from october 15 to april 15 for the rainy season, i wonder when that'll change

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

actionjackson posted:

is there any reason to live in CA besides the weather

there's jobs here, and paid maternity/paternity leave

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
yeah affordable houses anywhere in the country are gonna be like three hours from the nearest job

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
did y'all hit up an wineries

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

has he left his bunker in NZ since last year

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Xaris posted:

hallelujah praise be to governor theil.aa the first openly gay vampire governor of america, very progressive best state in the nation bay-bee

he has the blood of every ethnicity coursing through his veins

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Ammanas posted:

yea like 1.5 million people are filing new claims right now with the Anniversary of Covid. ofc you're not getting through

id.me sucks monster dicks and is a total failure atm (although both me and my wife had no problem doing it)

i dunno about defending the EDD, its an OK job, most claimants are just frustrated due to the lack of information clarity within the UI screen although most things are spelled out clearly in support docs. and my coworkers are MONSTER loving DUMB

it's pathologically stupid signing up for the new parent paid leave, they make you fill out timesheets and are completely vague about when you're supposed to start counting days and stuff

at least they finally got rid of that dumbass week of unpaid "paid" leave they gave you at the beginning

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Larry Parrish posted:

it's cuz we let all the old people die already

inshallah

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Xaris posted:

this is all of california, sorry. except some places instead of nothing but taco bell and nail salons there is $17 gin n tonic bars where bartenders have waxed hair and farm2table restaurants called Rusted x Tavern or The Fat Pig or Flour + Water

there's one in mountain view called Scratch

lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Raskolnikov38 posted:

god jaxyon is the worst

i've considered doing the adblock thing for their username in order to never ever see another one of their posts

it has to be a gimmick

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Xaris posted:

they absolutely are not and everyone was onboard with him complete with this. there's also a fair bit of jax-lites in yospos and other places.

ugh jesus

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Burning_Monk posted:

Statewide, average water use is roughly:
50% environmental
40% agricultural
10% urban

The smallest number is somehow the problem here... right.

from 2014, during the last drought

sf/mf is single/multi family

source is the california department of water resources

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Is there a break down of the Agriculture section?
I want to see how much of it goes to loving almond milk!
Or is just grains for cow?

almond farming accounts for ~10% of statewide usage, and alfalfa is ~15%

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
oh yeah also the agricultural sector accounts for ~2% of the gross state product

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

fermun posted:

i spent 4 days camping up in Stanislaus national forest and just got back yesterday, and the Tamarack fire made the air quality so loving awful starting Friday. It was also loving horrific seeing what the heat wave did to the fish; the water was too warm and the fish were dying. There were fish that were mostly dead that were swimming super slowly in the shallows so that they could be in the shade of the trees and didn't even have the energy to swim away when you walked by them. there were two osprey and a bald eagle having the times of their lives eating all the fish that were about to die and the sunsets were beautiful though.

yeah apparently the heatwave has annihilated the northwest coast's oysters

like drat

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

titty_baby_ posted:

*earthquake happens, tearing up buried power lines in a shitload of places. Buried status makes it extremely difficult to find breaks. Pg&e just cuts the ends, writes it off as a loss, and build power poles again

that isn't at all how underground utilities work

burying them is better in every single way except cost, which is why they haven't already done it and why you should be skeptical that they'll ever meaningfully do it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Smythe posted:

sometimes i get really annoyed at how hard it is to "do it right" instead of just not. i remember spending sundays wiating in line for ages at the toxic waste place to get rid of paint or electronics whereas every contractor or whatever would jusrt throw 100x that painty quantity directly into the dumpster and move on with their lives. hosed up

in new orleans i used to see guys park their trucks up over the curb and just empty their engine oil directly into storm drains

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Maximo Roboto posted:

What if there's a need for a second lockdown because the delta wave hits critical mass, but Newsom doesn't call it because of recall political considerations.

lol "if"

this is from an article on wednesday

marin there's at 9.75 cases per 100k, it's probably already tipped over into purple today

and santa clara's not far behind them

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
people in los angeles (should, if they don't) live in fear of a tsunami. there's signs everywhere for it. if you get the alert you're literally supposed to run straight to a car and drive directly to the highest point, you might have 15 minutes to clear 500' elevation

this is also true of everyone living west of i-5 in oregon, but they don't have the signs for it there

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Larry Parrish posted:

im literally voting to recall just because they did that lol

lol i'm voting to recall so that gavin won't ever run for president

and yeah you've got my vote dave

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

LionArcher posted:

this is someone I care about. It’s just a little hard for me to hear him talking about how problematic lost in translation is because of its depiction of Asian stereotypes about the same time listening to their church talking about how homosexuality is unnatural and advising the congratulations to not go to a gay wedding because they love the sinner too much but they’re always be there for them.

judging homosexuality negatively doesn't sound very christlike to me

neither does having opinions about the government

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

sb hermit posted:

https://ballotpedia.org/Appointment_to_replace_Kamala_Harris_in_the_U.S._Senate,_2021

At most, a replacement would serve until 2022, assuming that I'm reading this right.

her replacement was already sworn in

dude is the first hispanic californian senator lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
if you think newsom hosed up the pandemic response and are also voting no on the recall then lmao

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Xaris posted:

i grew up near bodega bay and the routes there are not that different. only the TTD whereas one you plunge 50 ft into the ocean and drown, and the other you plunge 500 ft off the side of a mountain tumbling into everything before getting obliterated by a tree.

i did some work out at calaveras dam for several years and theres a narrow very windy road that rich idiots from Livermore with Waze and expensive Sports Cars would try to take to shave off 1-minute vs taking 680, and without fail almost every month some dipshit would spin off into flames. definitely had a lot of audi or beemer assholes tailgating and then speeding around blind turns to pass and I ended up driving past one of them later who wrecked their expensive poo poo real bad

it got so bad that the construction management team had to pay highway cops overtime to stay out there occasionally because it was otherwise completely unpatrolled

lol at having to use cozeep just to get them to do basic enforcement

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
lol forever at ceqa

https://twitter.com/catrope/status/1427439076601319425

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
the dark version of this thread is hilarious

quote:

Yes. Vote no on question 1 and for the Youtuber for 2. It's not ideal, but it's better than one of the Republicans getting in and potentially replacing Feinstein when this dark time causes her to croak.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Xaris posted:

q4 2024 rolls around and breyer hasn't resigned and libs start talking how we have to vote for the buttigieg/pompeo ticket to save the legacy of breyer's seat against the upmost evil fascism ever.

pete buttigieg/paul ryan on the dudes rock ticket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Vox Nihili posted:

Agricultural use should also be strictly regulated but we do also actually need food to live. We do not need golf courses and sprawling resort pools in the desert.

FOOD GROWS WHERE WATER FLOWS

lol they blow through more water growing nuts and alfalfa alone to ship out and sell internationally than every single person in the state uses

and keep in mind this is water they have basically no restrictions on and are barely even charged for using it