Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Judge Dredd: Dredd Vs Death was a rare first person shooter on the gamecube that also had a full splitscreen coop campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is not only incredibly mediocre, it also nearly bankrupt the state of Rhode Island because Kurt Schilling was seen as a god at the time, and they gave him a 69 million dollar loan. That said, I played it twice and had a lot of fun with it. Reminded me of the old double A game titles that disappeared. I'm going to play the remaster at some point too.
I played the hell out of this game. There's not much to it but they got the core action-RPG gameplay right, and that makes it enough fun to play that I had a good time with it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

American McGay posted:

MC Kids was one of my favorite NES games, although that one might be straddling the line of "not very good". The explore an easy platforming area while looking for secrets style gameplay really clicked with me, and I remember the music being pretty good too.

I think MC Kids counts as a legitimately Good Game tbh. I rented it as a kid and then played it again as an adult and it holds up

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Anyway I have a lot of nostalgia for the 8/16 bit Simpsons games even though they’re pretty objectively bad. We rented them a lot as a kid and I liked how every game had a bunch of different playstyles even if they didn’t do any of them that well

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Anyway I have a lot of nostalgia for the 8/16 bit Simpsons games even though they’re pretty objectively bad. We rented them a lot as a kid and I liked how every game had a bunch of different playstyles even if they didn’t do any of them that well

I still have a soft spot for virtual Bart and Bart's nightmare

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

I played a lot of Jurassic Park 2: The Chaos Continues on SNES back in the day. The game is just ok, and either it was very hard at times or I just sucked at it being a dumb kid. I should revisit it and see how it holds up. What lured me in was that dinosaurs were cool and you had a wide selection of guns. Last but not least the soundtrack was phenomenal and really made an otherwise not that good game really stand out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FggOnzJlZI

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Similarly Journey to Silius is just a very ok game at best, but the soundtrack kicks rear end.

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

Paper Boy for N64 is pretty hilarious to play with the sound effect cheats. I miss the days of whacky cheat codes.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Jet Li’s Rise to Honor had some cool ideas

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
the first like 2 levels of Stranglehold are incredible

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

The Milkman posted:

the first like 2 levels of Stranglehold are incredible

i clearly remember the demos for stranglehold and bioshock came out on the same day and i couldnt understand why anyone would care about bioshock when they could be playing stranglehold. i didnt buy either

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think Shenmue falls into this even though imo it's just regularly really good and people who don't respect missing the bus and having to wait ten minutes can gently caress off. The popular perception outside IZ is not good

Final Fantasy XII is really good and I played it for like 150 hours but in many more real ways it's kind of bad

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
Every single Track & Field and Olympics style game. I love them all regardless of quality

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

I still have a soft spot for virtual Bart and Bart's nightmare

Virtual Bart and Bart vs. the World are the ones I have the most nostalgia for.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
Poy Poy [PS1]
Local 4p multi game where you just throw rocks and poo poo at each other. Don’t need to gild the lily, this is what I’m here for.

ho fan
Oct 6, 2014

the star wars ep. 1 game for ps1

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ho fan posted:

this rocked lol though I suspect it was very bad

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

you could play plo Koon and mace windu!

ho fan
Oct 6, 2014

EmmyOk posted:

you could play plo Koon and mace windu!

i have fond memories of brutally murdering jawas with lightsabers and a secret rail gun you could find, but yeah its probably trash

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wormskull posted:

I famously played APB for nearly 20 hours a day for the three months the company that made it wasn't bankrupt and then another month after it was rereleased, and was considering selling my plasma to preorder it so I could play three days early when it released as well.

To be fair APB was really good, or at least could have been if it wasnt run by a bunch of dipshits who then sold it to guys just collecting the cash shop money and calling it a day.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

False.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

HolePisser1982 posted:

Poy Poy [PS1]
Local 4p multi game where you just throw rocks and poo poo at each other. Don’t need to gild the lily, this is what I’m here for.

this reminds me of Intellivision's Armor Battle, a game where both players (it was only two player, no single player mode) controlled a very slow moving tank that could shoot bullets, lay mines and move. the mines were really awkward becaus their hit box was large enough that if you didn't move a specific way, you'd blow up your own tank before you could even get away from it. when you blew up the other guys tank (or, often, your own), he'd get a new one and you'd both start from your starting positions. each player got 50 tanks, which i don't think was tracked anywhere on the screen. because the tanks moved so slowly, it would take like 3 hours to play a full game, so almost everyone just did it until they got bored. except...

my dad's friend got really into Armor Battle for some reason. just wanted to play it with us the entire time any time he came over. he thought the mines were particularly funny and would holler and hoot whenever someone got exploded by a mine, especially if it was their own (he got himself often). until one day he showed up when my dad wasn't even home and when all of us, both of my brothers and i, had the chicken pox. finally my mother had to make the armor battle cartridge disappear for awhile.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

ho fan posted:

jedi power battles? i unlocked everything and beat it multiple times. it had a lot of bullshit platforming sections

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Bolverkur posted:

I played a lot of Jurassic Park 2: The Chaos Continues on SNES back in the day. The game is just ok, and either it was very hard at times or I just sucked at it being a dumb kid. I should revisit it and see how it holds up. What lured me in was that dinosaurs were cool and you had a wide selection of guns. Last but not least the soundtrack was phenomenal and really made an otherwise not that good game really stand out.

i really loved the first jurassic park game where you go into buildings and play lovely wolfenstein but i never beat it because not one person in the entire development team floated the idea of saving or a password system

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

trying to jack off posted:

i really loved the first jurassic park game where you go into buildings and play lovely wolfenstein but i never beat it because not one person in the entire development team floated the idea of saving or a password system

I finally beat that in college with save states and it's not worth it. the overworld dinosaurs were good jump.scares in it though

ho fan
Oct 6, 2014

jedi power battles? i unlocked everything and beat it multiple times. it had a lot of bullshit platforming sections

no, the movie tie in game. Jedi power battles was fun too though

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

Fungah! posted:

i fuckin love the way of the samurai games even though they're super jank and kind of bad, also i played the hell out of the wizards and warriors games for nes even though the second wasnt very good

the way of the samurai games kick rear end

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is not only incredibly mediocre, it also nearly bankrupt the state of Rhode Island because Kurt Schilling was seen as a god at the time, and they gave him a 69 million dollar loan. That said, I played it twice and had a lot of fun with it. Reminded me of the old double A game titles that disappeared. I'm going to play the remaster at some point too.

i couldn't believe this poo poo when it happened lol. its such an insane piece of gaming history

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

ho fan posted:

this lol. and yeah the way of the samurai games are great even though theyre bad. 1 and 3 were the best and really wish there were more games like them. the ps2 era was great for having so many unique games and kinds of games that you cant find anymore

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
For some reason I have a thing for agents of STEAM. It’s a grid based strategy game where every design decision is just weird. We need movement? Let’s make it grid based, but not lock units to the grid. We need characters? Hey, all these literary figures are public domain. We need levels? Okay, let’s make them very vertical, even though only one unit can jump. We need difficulty? Let’s put in unkillable units that call down an orbital strike if they see you. We need a theme? Steampunk is popular, let’s use that. But don’t forget it’s gotta get an E rating. Throw in a giant robot Lincoln, that’s always popular.

Then again, I owned Mr. Mosquito and Cubivore long before they were collectible. I just like weird games.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

The Kins posted:

tbh i'm kinda amazed the servers are still up almost 20 years after launch, stunning longevity

also like once a year i'll spend an afternoon throwing myself at Keith Courage in Alpha Zones. it's pretty sloppy (the way you turn around is very strange compared to other platformers, like it turns you around at your nose instead of at the center of your body) with a lot of instant-death traps and shops that demand grinding for health refils or weapon upgrades, but there's some wonderfully weird monster designs (especially in the mecha bits) and each level likes to throw new ideas at you for a surprisingly brief amount of time (oh, here's the upside down bit. here's the toxic pipes...) it tries to avoid getting boring, and i like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ldb8F_4F6g
yeahhhhhhhhhhh boyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

you're posting my childhood

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I've played a lot of this game called Delve Deeper where up to four players compete to get the most treasure in a dwarven mine. It doesn't even have online play and hasn't been updated for almost a decade now but I still fire it up from time to time and play a few hours. There's something really compelling about it, and it's a lot of fun to play with friends hotseat. It's not deep at all and honestly after you've played a few maps you've kind of played them all. But damnit there's something so satisfying about timing a treasure run at the end of the game and dumping dozens of points worth of treasure at the last second.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Bolverkur posted:

yeah, ocean weren't very good at the whole "gameplay" thing but their pixel art and music were absolutely top-notch. i've got fond memories of both snes jurassic park games despite not getting very far in either of them

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I beat Paladin's quest and it was an entirely forgettable game

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Plank Walker posted:

n64 mission impossible

Accidentally sniping some dude in the train station level because his wife called and he pulled out his cell phone

For me though, it’s this big piece of FMV loaded trash

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Martman posted:

Disney's Toontown

i put hundreds of hours into that game and to this day it is the only mmo ive ever played

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Tyranny is unfinished and has that blah obsidian games have now but I had a really good time with it. I can never really bring myself to play evil in rpgs so a game where you had to be evil was real fresh for me

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Mass effect 3. I played it and beat it before they fixed the endings and got deep into the multiplayer to the point I almost failed a calc final in University. Every day during exam season This cool black American pubbie I befriended would log on at the same time and invite me too a party chat where he was smoking weed and shooting the poo poo with his friends like a Lean and Cuisine stream. I would sit there listening in to their conversations, playing mass effect & silently chuckling my white rear end off in my sisters freezing cold garage on the other side of the world until one day, without a word, he never logged on again. I basically stopped playing Xbox after that.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

an actual dog posted:

Tyranny is unfinished and has that blah obsidian games have now but I had a really good time with it. I can never really bring myself to play evil in rpgs so a game where you had to be evil was real fresh for me

Tyranny is a great game wtf

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Mass effect 3. I played it and beat it before they fixed the endings and got deep into the multiplayer to the point I almost failed a calc final in University. Every day during exam season This cool black American pubbie I befriended would log on at the same time and invite me too a party chat where he was smoking weed and shooting the poo poo with his friends like a Lean and Cuisine stream. I would sit there listening in to their conversations, playing mass effect & silently chuckling my white rear end off in my sisters freezing cold garage on the other side of the world until one day, without a word, he never logged on again. I basically stopped playing Xbox after that.

Respect to the lost gamer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
road trip: adventures. i got all the stamps