Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
sometimes you play a game and you like it more than it probably deserves. maybe it has cool music over bad gameplay? maybe it has interesting characters in a buggy world? maybe it tries to do something unique or interesting, but the devs don't quite have the skill or budget to achieve it? or maybe it just inexplicably gets its hooks into you somehow. either way, you somehow end up liking it unironically, even though you know it's not exactly great.

i played a surprising amount of Mighty Bomb Jack when it landed on the switch subscription nes app. it has a really weird jumping mechanic that emphasizes madly tapping the button to hover, monsters spawn randomly around the screen every few seconds instead of being carefully placed, the game actively punishes you for getting too many powerups ("YOU ARE GREEDY GO TO THE TORTURE ROOM") and the level designer has a grudge against you that reaches the point of warp zones that send you backwards, but for some reason i just kept trying to push deeper, seeing how far i could get before the game spawned a mummy on top of me with a quarter-second of warning. it's weird and hostile, but it's also decently challenging with a lot of secrets to dig up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7ngsg86R7w

so what about you? what's your favorite mess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kongming posted:

Final Fantasy XI, which I still play.
tbh i'm kinda amazed the servers are still up almost 20 years after launch, stunning longevity

also like once a year i'll spend an afternoon throwing myself at Keith Courage in Alpha Zones. it's pretty sloppy (the way you turn around is very strange compared to other platformers, like it turns you around at your nose instead of at the center of your body) with a lot of instant-death traps and shops that demand grinding for health refils or weapon upgrades, but there's some wonderfully weird monster designs (especially in the mecha bits) and each level likes to throw new ideas at you for a surprisingly brief amount of time (oh, here's the upside down bit. here's the toxic pipes...) it tries to avoid getting boring, and i like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ldb8F_4F6g

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Bolverkur posted:

I played a lot of Jurassic Park 2: The Chaos Continues on SNES back in the day. The game is just ok, and either it was very hard at times or I just sucked at it being a dumb kid. I should revisit it and see how it holds up. What lured me in was that dinosaurs were cool and you had a wide selection of guns. Last but not least the soundtrack was phenomenal and really made an otherwise not that good game really stand out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FggOnzJlZI

trying to jack off posted:

i really loved the first jurassic park game where you go into buildings and play lovely wolfenstein but i never beat it because not one person in the entire development team floated the idea of saving or a password system
yeah, ocean weren't very good at the whole "gameplay" thing but their pixel art and music were absolutely top-notch. i've got fond memories of both snes jurassic park games despite not getting very far in either of them

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

My submission is Robotron 64. I don’t think it’s a BAD game, just a basic arcade shooter. But it made great use of the C buttons and was the perfect balance of enemy swarm chaos without being too stressful
robotron 64 is pretty great, and the soundtrack goes HARD, but i will admit the graphics are preeeeeetty ugly. probably to keep the framerate up.

there's also a playstation version, robotron x, but i haven't played it. apparently it's more frantic due to gameplay tweaks and worse camera/framerate.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Flunky posted:

captain comic, the only platformer i had for a long while as a kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZW0A3zFUTU

the physics and camera are fairly bad like almost all dos platformers but it had a cool progression of powerups, fun changes in scenery, and the level design was pretty concise. solid half hour replay when u feeling nostalgic for dos games
p. sure this was my first game as a kid, except i think our version had a corrupted file or two because i clearly playing a level with random garbage tiles

...which explains a lot tbh