Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I think we just talked about this but artillery gameplay is tedious. Spending the match so far behind enemy lines just keeping dummies off the guns is critical and boring as hell. also Foy needs a rework to make it fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Mauser posted:

I think we just talked about this but artillery gameplay is tedious. Spending the match so far behind enemy lines just keeping dummies off the guns is critical and boring as hell. also Foy needs a rework to make it fun.

I actually like firing artillery but I think it needs to be completely reworked. I get that we're trying to encourage all encompassing team work play, but when the other team has good arty and your teams recon teams aren't doing anything it can make a hell of a game.

Also, just a reminder if you're new. Cap races are a myth. In the sense that capping a point takes a specific amount of time no matter how many guys are in the sector. Now someone correct me please if i'm wrong. However if you've heard your commander or your officer of the squad you're in urge you into the circle of the cap point (strongpoint) it makes sense at times because you are weighted 3x1. Which means if you're trying to cap 'Train Station' and you are the only soldier in the strong point and there are 2 defenders in the area you will actually begin to capture the point. But adding 10 more guys won't make it go faster. This took me a long time to figure out and I think its maybe the one thing Hell Let Loose should absolutely really spell out but never does.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

soggybagel posted:

I actually like firing artillery but I think it needs to be completely reworked. I get that we're trying to encourage all encompassing team work play, but when the other team has good arty and your teams recon teams aren't doing anything it can make a hell of a game.

Also, just a reminder if you're new. Cap races are a myth. In the sense that capping a point takes a specific amount of time no matter how many guys are in the sector. Now someone correct me please if i'm wrong. However if you've heard your commander or your officer of the squad you're in urge you into the circle of the cap point (strongpoint) it makes sense at times because you are weighted 3x1. Which means if you're trying to cap 'Train Station' and you are the only soldier in the strong point and there are 2 defenders in the area you will actually begin to capture the point. But adding 10 more guys won't make it go faster. This took me a long time to figure out and I think its maybe the one thing Hell Let Loose should absolutely really spell out but never does.
That's how it works, it takes two minutes to cap in warfare and one in offensive mode. Also the commander counts for more players in the circle, I think 3, so if he reinforces and is in the circle, the commander can count for a whole squad himself. I think a normal soldier counts for two in the circle, but I can't exactly remember.

Edit: I think I am remembering all this wrong as far as cap weight, maybe you are right with 3, but the commander is worth more I believe and a reinforce adds one cap weight per soldier.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 15, 2024

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Mauser posted:

critical and boring as hell

Describing the most important roles in any of these war games. Long days of playing solitaire next to a radio while playing commander in Red Orchestra 2. Sitting and looking down your rifle at a whole lot of gently caress all on defense in any game you can think of. Running logistics in Post Scriptum.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
If I'm not mistaken the commander being worth more on a cap point is false. It's this persistent urban legend of sorts but the commander counts simply as a standard soldier would.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
yeah, I'm wrong, not sure why I thought that, I am usually good on things like dead guys not adding cap weight and such.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Rusty posted:

yeah, I'm wrong, not sure why I thought that, I am usually good on things like dead guys not adding cap weight and such.

Its a thing I saw when I was looking up tutorials when I first bought the game too. It's just a thing that must have been started early and stuck around and is now passed down to new players all the time. Not a big deal. I know I keep saying things they should hypothetically fix, but I think they should somehow buff commander somehow. There are too many games I join either midway through or even the beginning where no one wants to play Commander. I get it, its not really a fun position to play especially when your team is already losing because theres a lot of "noisy" players who just love making GBS threads on commander. But I think there are ways they could probably make it more fun and incentivize play.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Commanders should get half respawn time, the ability to place garrisons at a distance, an ai squad of riflemen that always listens to them and their own personal artillery gun outside the maps boarders so that no recon or other enemy soldiers can bother them.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Commanders should get half respawn time, the ability to place garrisons at a distance, an ai squad of riflemen that always listens to them and their own personal artillery gun outside the maps boarders so that no recon or other enemy soldiers can bother them.

Half respawn time is a good call.

I was playing last night and the team I was on refused to place garrisons. I was the only one placing them and my friend was support so we'd just run around trying to place ALL the garrisons. Also, maybe more people are coming to play on PC as well but its a bit maddening when you lose a point and so you have to double back to defend the next spot and you still see teammates just loitering around in enemy territory doing nothing. Lately I've seen a lot of dysfunctional play and when you're getting rolled it is very frustrating. It is impressive though when you're fighting another team and they're just really well organized. I was on the receiving end of two tanks just sieging a point for a while and I wasn't even that mad. Just like "well poo poo, the enemy is just loving good."

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
A woopsy poopsy bombing run on the two rear end in a top hat squads that are 2 points away holding the middle of nowhere from noone.

:thunk:

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Seeing a ton of level one folks with no microphones and had to squad hop until I found one that I could convince to hop off squad lead. We got very brutally crushed, but we did manage to put up a good fight for 50 minutes

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
There's really no way to fix this but it is always so annoying when your squad leader quits. I'm trying to level up other classes but inevitably I always am the one to switch to officer.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Give squad leads half respawn times.

Give squad leads a portion of exp earned by the soldiers in their squad.

Give squad leads a cool ability or two like calling in a tiny artillery strike.

Or just give them binoculars which are the best item in the game oh wait they have that why don’t people play squad leader?!

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Binoculars don't come in the lethal variety

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Binoculars don't come in the lethal variety

They did in CoD: United Offensive. Bino-bash kills were the greatest mark of shame because it took three hits to kill you and it means someone really got the drop on you,

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
If we offloaded artillery to be a call in from squad leads and the commander I think that would actually be better. I think it would be a fun thing for squad leads. It would likely lead to better communication between commander and squad leads to coordinate an artillery barrage. And it would also end the recon-arty loop that while some feel is fine, I think is kind of stupid overall.

Still keep artillery tied into the need for nodes and just have it on a cool down timer.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Beastie posted:

They did in CoD: United Offensive. Bino-bash kills were the greatest mark of shame because it took three hits to kill you and it means someone really got the drop on you,

That owns.

On the con side of this SL chat, if SLs had too good of a toolkit such as artillery call-ins the job might get mobbed by selfish types who aren't prone to doing the work of flanking to put down OPs or making garrisons. Needing to coordinate with the commander could help. Half spawn time would be a good middle ground, or experience for other classes that your squaddies are using.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

If you use your binoculars and pinpoint someone’s head then then switch to a gun and steady your aim you will be set up for a perfect headshot. It works despite having no logical basis. You can snipe stationary targets at will which is amazing if you’re flanking which you should be.

They also just let you see things better which is 90% of the game unless you’re literally in a trench or underwater

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

soggybagel posted:

There's really no way to fix this but it is always so annoying when your squad leader quits. I'm trying to level up other classes but inevitably I always am the one to switch to officer.

There's no way to fix SLs leaving because people don't want to lead a squad and have to use comms to talk with command/relay orders and will just go SL to create a squad and then leave and rejoin as regular infantry the second someone else is in that squad.

You can fix the second thing by just letting people pick any class as SL, with their kit being overwritten by the SL kit but the XP going to the chosen class.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Lemon-Lime posted:

There's no way to fix SLs leaving because people don't want to lead a squad and have to use comms to talk with command/relay orders and will just go SL to create a squad and then leave and rejoin as regular infantry the second someone else is in that squad.

You can fix the second thing by just letting people pick any class as SL, with their kit being overwritten by the SL kit but the XP going to the chosen class.

I really don't mind being a squad leader and often am, however, it's going to suck once I hit level 6 squad lead as I'm almost there and then will have nothing to keep grinding for with that class. But you are completely and totally right.

Also, yesterday twice I was pleading for my squad leader to just quit and said I'd take over. One just refused to put outposts down. He was level 60's so he had definitely played the game a lot. He got pissed off because someone (not on our squad) tk'd him accidentally and when we asked him to put down a new OP he just got all pouty and was like "I'M NOT GONNA DO STUFF IF YOU ALL ARE GONNA JUST TK ME!" so we just had to join a different squad. And then the very next game a guy who was like level 2 was squad leader and just didn't talk and it wasn't clear if he knew what he was doing but also didn't have a mic so I also just left and started a new squad.

That's also a good point about making squad leads too powerful because then it would always just be an annoying rush to get that just like recon. I just want to level my freaking anti-tank guy up

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Had a great game tonight with a good squad. Entered as engineer and dropped our team nodes. Spawned as anti-tank and put the final rocket in the tank everyone was getting griefed from. Then ran out and laid down in the airfield under a burned out plane and started making 120-165m kills with the British rifle. Finally got tracked down by a tank and killed, so spawned in the back and ran a solid 30 kill streak on artillery with my squad dropping points.

But for everyone one of these games, there’s a few of no communication or garbled mic stuff. :smith:

BitAstronaut
Mar 7, 2024
Anyone else having issues with audio on Xbox Series S? For some reason, I can't talk and can only hear others.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

BitAstronaut posted:

Anyone else having issues with audio on Xbox Series S? For some reason, I can't talk and can only hear others.

Check the settings to make sure the voice communications are enabled. If it says disabled, try changing it to enabled and see if it takes, and then just see if the little blue or green icon pops up in game when you unmute yourself.

I’ve had a similar issue on my Series X every now and then where I can’t talk, only I usually can’t hear anyone. The communications will show as disabled and won’t connect, and the only way to fix it that I’ve found is either restart the game, which usually works, or occasionally the console itself. Doesn’t happen often, but I’ve seen it before.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Nothing in gaming beats the feeling of hiding along an approach path to a point and hearing the tank you’ve been waiting for roll to a stop right next to you so you can satchel it.

Did that twice to an enemy team on an offense map on the second point. I would have given anything to hear that tank crew when their second heavy blew up before even seeing the point.

BitAstronaut
Mar 7, 2024

fartknocker posted:

Check the settings to make sure the voice communications are enabled. If it says disabled, try changing it to enabled and see if it takes, and then just see if the little blue or green icon pops up in game when you unmute yourself.

I’ve had a similar issue on my Series X every now and then where I can’t talk, only I usually can’t hear anyone. The communications will show as disabled and won’t connect, and the only way to fix it that I’ve found is either restart the game, which usually works, or occasionally the console itself. Doesn’t happen often, but I’ve seen it before.

Got it! Thank you.

Just started playing and having a blast so far. So much to learn however.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

If anyone on Series X or PS5 is looking to group up, I have a good mix of goons, former goons, and cool normies who play about 2-3 nights a week on US East or US Central. There's about 6 of us but at any given time we're operating in the 2-5 range.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
My new favorite thing is being a bastard shotgun engineer and mining points, then satcheling approaches.

Today I got to satchel ab enemy airhead, then talked everyone into running away and seeing if the spawn wave gets vaporized.

Spawns didn't pop but I got mad street cred and some laughs

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I always see people using the snow outfit as some weird trolling kink. I could only imagine the dorky crews if they allowed this classic option:

BitAstronaut
Mar 7, 2024
Looking for some older players to play with. I play mainly as medic as I'm learning the game.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

BitAstronaut posted:

Looking for some older players to play with. I play mainly as medic as I'm learning the game.

Hot Dog 7 and The Line are both good Eastern TZ/East US servers that suck less. That's where a few goons play - I don't believe there's a goon discord for this, but I'm happy to let you pick up my shotgun crazed sapper engineer anyday.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

We should get a group going so we can rotate out who has to suffer through being squad lead, lol.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Last night I had one of those games where you keep ending up in great positions and also you're hitting your shots. Guys running laterally to you at 100 meters and every shot his hitting and dropping them. This will sustain me for another 15 hours of absolute dogshit level play by me.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

soggybagel posted:

Last night I had one of those games where you keep ending up in great positions and also you're hitting your shots. Guys running laterally to you at 100 meters and every shot his hitting and dropping them. This will sustain me for another 15 hours of absolute dogshit level play by me.

Heh, I had something similar. Another guy and myself were setting up AT guns to keep supporting attacks, him firing and me loading so we had a crazy rate of fire going, knocked out some vehicles, but racked up a good number of kills and whatnot helping push 3 objectives as the Germans on Kharkov. Made up for the horrible games on El Alemein that I was stuck in today :v:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

It's like golf. One great flank/moment can make up for hours of bushwhacking and drudgery

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Wait you can build an AT gun?!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Target Practice posted:

Wait you can build an AT gun?!

Yeah, the Gun Crew loadout for Anti-Tank, unlocked at AT level 3.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
The AT Gun is great if you have a buddy with you because you can not only have them drop the needed supplies but also as noted, be the reloader. The one downside is its a bit finicky when placing and there's no way to see prior to placing the gun how the sight will be/sightline will be. A couple times I've had my friend place it and its just way more obstructed due to a slight incline or decline in the ground or a fence or something is completely blocking it when we thought it wouldn't. But you catch on fast.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I figured out how to get onto rooftops and people would rather die constantly rather than look up.

:getin:

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I saw a video of someone getting on the roof and it did not look like it was an intended part of the game where they were doing it. I've been paranoid about roofs ever since! :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Mauser posted:

I saw a video of someone getting on the roof and it did not look like it was an intended part of the game where they were doing it. I've been paranoid about roofs ever since! :tinfoil:

My favorite roof so far is just north of the cathedral in the middle of st marie.theres a shed with a fence you can hop onto and shoot from inside the tree branches all the way down the street.

Machine gun heaven.