Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
There’s a couple places where you can hop up along the fence lines and get to roofs you’re likely not supposed to and it’s great.

Also though by far one of the most frustrating things in the French maps is when they have back yard back of house areas that you can hop up on something to see over and then it’s just an invisible wall blocking you. I was playing on Sainte-Mère-Église the other day and our garrison was built in a spot that ended up being our doom. It was on a side area by the church but the only way out was a narrow alley that opened up to the street or I think a back way out but a tank had us pinned down. It was hilariously bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I cannot stand the invisible walls blocking your entry to certain areas. Always throws me off for a bit until I remember you need to go all the way around certain sections.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Btw I tried out squad and told people I was new, but that I'd played HLL and everyone in my squad started calling me grampa

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
How is squad? I was intrigued when it got the Squad 44 moniker but I honestly really have no strong desire to move over as I’m fully enjoying HLL.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Mauser posted:

Btw I tried out squad and told people I was new, but that I'd played HLL and everyone in my squad started calling me grampa

This rules.

I've been in squads with so many variants of OLDMANXXXXXX

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

soggybagel posted:

How is squad? I was intrigued when it got the Squad 44 moniker but I honestly really have no strong desire to move over as I’m fully enjoying HLL.
Squad is a lot slower pace modern shooter and a bit more hardcore as you don't get permanent markers on factions above their heads so you mostly need to check your map and memorize uniform differences (there are obviously a lot more differences but I don't play enough to list them all).

Squad 44 is Post Scriptum renamed, a WW2 shooter that came before Hell Let Loose and has really low player counts. Same deal, no markers above friendly heads, a lot more supression, better sound design, guns feel a bit more realistic, more tank mechanics, but also just not a lot of people are playing it. It's a good game, I kind of wish it was more popular. The main mode in Squad 44 or at least in the few servers I have seen is their offensive mode. I always end up TKing people playing these damned games, I just need the friendly markers I guess.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 25, 2024

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
If I recall too isn't the big thing about that game that the main mode (maybe there is only one mode) can end when your (using Battlefield language) ticket count runs out? So even if you are on the side that has 4 cap points to 1, if your teams reserve of player lives/tickets runs out you lose. Part of me kind of wants that in Hell Let Loose, but part of me is deeply relieved that isn't the case as well. I guess Its ultimately good that both of these games exist.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

soggybagel posted:

If I recall too isn't the big thing about that game that the main mode (maybe there is only one mode) can end when your (using Battlefield language) ticket count runs out? So even if you are on the side that has 4 cap points to 1, if your teams reserve of player lives/tickets runs out you lose. Part of me kind of wants that in Hell Let Loose, but part of me is deeply relieved that isn't the case as well. I guess Its ultimately good that both of these games exist.
In Squad the game modes have tickets, yes, and medic is pretty important, and the expectation is that you try and wait as long as possible for a revive, which in general I am not a big fan of. In Squad44, the main mode is just like offensive in HLL I believe, I can't remember if there are ticket counts in the game formerly known as Post Scriptum.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Squad 44 had some neat map ideas like spawning in via parachute

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

soggybagel posted:

Squad has modern setting with almost everyone rocking 3x or 4x optic. They recently did a big update called ICO (Infantry combat overhaul) where it takes significantly longer to stabilize your aim, especially if you are at low stamina, oh yeah, there is stamina so you can't sprint at high speed for long (you can sprint forever, but you'll slow down to a jog). It is slower paced, due to lower movement speed, longer spawn timer and spawn usually has to be placed further from the objective (otherwise it'll get proxy'd, spawn get disabled when certain amount of enemies are close to it). Squad rally straight up disappears if the enemy get close to it AND it's an expensive to resupply item instead of on a timer so oftentimes your squad will have no rally.

There's also almost no dead-dead in Squad (like when you get shot in the head in HLL or blew up), to encourage reviving. There is less one shot kill weapon, intermediate caliber guns that most faction uses are 3-shot kill.

Team wide spawn called a HAB is more elaborate to setup than HLL. You need to get vehicle loaded with material to where you want to build to set up a radio (FOB), then you can load construction material into the FOB to build structure such as spawn point, ammo crate, etc. Besides building material, there is also ammunition which has to be trucked or flew in otherwise people cannot rearm (ammo load is kept between death, so if you die with no grenade, and only 90 bullets left, you'll spawn with no grenade, and 90 bullets). Vehicles are more powerful in squad, as they are faster, has accurate, stabilized weapon, and very high zoom level and the amount of good AT kit is very limited (only 2 heavy AT available for the entire team, rest of the team only has light anti-tank kit which is more of a deterrence against vehicle, especially a tank or tracked IFV). There are more vehicle types, too, helicopters, amphibious vehicles. Tanks, IFV, APC, ATGM vehicle, etc.

There is the aforementioned ticket system, spawning costs ticket. The side that runs out of ticket first loses. Capturing objective yield some tickets. Losing vehicle and radio costs a lot of tickets (radios are worth 20 tickets, for example).

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 26, 2024

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Squad is a great military sim. It's 25% running from place to place, 35% sitting in trucks so you don't have to run, 20% moving supplies between locations, 19.9% filling sandbags, and firefights in between everything else.

It's fun but it's a lot more focused on the "squad" because your squad leader is the one controlling the humvee. If you run off by yourself then you aren't going to get shot because you aren't going to make it to the fight. It's interesting but very slow and it has a lot of weekend warriors in it. I'd only recommend it if you're into the idea of being ordered around like a soldier would be.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Pass. I'll stick to recruiting a supply guy to feed me rockets that I'll launch from rooftops at individual infantry from 300+m

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

yeah, squad is pretty fun and there are somewhat casual servers, but it's still a lot more teamwork/squad focused and way slower paced than HLL, which is already a pretty slow pace game.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Squad and Squad 44 seem a bit more hardcore than I'd prefer. I'm in a happy place right now with HLL.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

CuddleCryptid posted:

Squad is a great military sim. It's 25% running from place to place, 35% sitting in trucks so you don't have to run, 20% moving supplies between locations, 19.9% filling sandbags, and firefights in between everything else.

It's fun but it's a lot more focused on the "squad" because your squad leader is the one controlling the humvee. If you run off by yourself then you aren't going to get shot because you aren't going to make it to the fight. It's interesting but very slow and it has a lot of weekend warriors in it. I'd only recommend it if you're into the idea of being ordered around like a soldier would be.

Really overstating how common the milsim esque aspect is ime. The badass Full Metal Jacket roleplay squad leaders are very rare and half the time for SL it's just a guy who had the role.dumped on him and only really exists to place a spawn point. The most detailed orders are like 'shoot that tank' or 'move to the east side of the objective and shoot your guns a bunch'. It's fun and people should play it, as well as play the very good video game Hell Let Loose

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Anyone experiment with satchel delivery, by satcheling a friendly vehicle and riding it into a hot spot.

Unrelated, I'm 50 hours of emergency phone calls into a 3 day crisis at work and I'm getting squirrelly

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Anyone experiment with satchel delivery, by satcheling a friendly vehicle and riding it into a hot spot.

Unrelated, I'm 50 hours of emergency phone calls into a 3 day crisis at work and I'm getting squirrelly

Would need to find a non obvious spot on the jeep to plant it, but it's also incredibly easy to die in a vehicle before you get anywhere.

Both of the things you posted sound like a great way to kill a lot of teammates

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Mauser posted:

Would need to find a non obvious spot on the jeep to plant it, but it's also incredibly easy to die in a vehicle before you get anywhere.

Both of the things you posted sound like a great way to kill a lot of teammates
You've somehow made it more appealing, but I'm a man of morals.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
You can't attach them to friendly vehicles.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

loving bullshit

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Anyone ever have a game where it feels like you can't hit poo poo? I was playing last night as recon and I swear to god my bullets simply weren't hitting. I'd aim at a static target no more than 100 meters out with crosshairs dead center and they aren't moving and I'd miss. I checked my ping and it was only 100ms. Again, the enemy wasn't moving at all. I was missing and then I'd lower aim to at least hit center mass and get no hits. End of match I checked my stats and I seriously had like, 14 kills with around 100 shots taken. My shots were simply missing. It was very frustrating and puzzling. I get that sometimes when you're taking those long rear end shots sometimes there are things that don't fully load in at distance so you might actually be getting bullet impact on like, a fence post that just hasn't drawn in. But in this case I wasn't that far away.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Definitely had those games. No idea what the deal is, but the last time it happened I did actually land a bunch of rifle shots, though fewer than I would have suspected, but they must have hit a limb or whatever that isn't insta-kill. Gotta check that shots hit number instead of just kills

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
That was the weird part. I had the sniper rifle and there isn't much of any bullet drop until you get extreme ranges. Basically if I hit them I was killing them but I just wasn't hitting them. And some of these shots were gimmes. Either way it was just one game but I seriously thought something was broken or I was going insane.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

When this game is good it’s real good

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Blue Raider posted:

When this game is good it’s real good

:yeah:

I took a squad into the enemy hinterlands on the hunt for armor, nodes, arty, and glory. with some compliant randos we pulled the attention of multiple enemy squads and ended up shifting the momentum of the battle.

I love that you can stack 3 people on deconstructing a node and it speeds it up. Nice discovery.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
My big complaint. They need to let you walk through barb wire. Make it take 45 seconds. Make me wounded so I have to bandage. Make it even noisier when I touch it so people hear it even more. But let me walk through it.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Or jump over it, the invisible wall poo poo loving sucks

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Or jump over it, the invisible wall poo poo loving sucks

Right. Sometimes you're able to jump on top of the wood X's but sometimes you aren't. It's very unreliable.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I'm only level 66 but recently started playing more commander and actually really enjoy it. I just want to say though playing Stalingrad night was horrible. I actually don't mind the russian maps like some do but trying to drive a truck in the darkness of that map I was constantly getting stuck by hitting some small obstruction or falling into a trench and getting the trucks stuck. It was horrible.

Also I don't have many commander games under my belt but my pet peeve is being yelled at by Officers being like "we don't need you doing anything other than building garrisons" which in the most recent game is exactly what i was doing, except if I see a garrison or OP i'm going to go take it out while I'm trying to build my own. I've become "that guy" but man its really frustrating when you've got whole squads loving off in another corner of the map doing nothing and not responding to comms. It's also really frustrating when the enemy recon teams are super good because you'll be driving a supply truck way off away from the action trying to set up stuff and get sniped. Fun times! But seriously, I do love being commander. Nothing is as satisfying as coordinating with the officers and letting them know a bombing run is going to clear out a lane and its time to push a point and then it SUCCEEDS!

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Commander can be incredibly thrilling gameplay, but I feel like I need a cup of coffee to even think about it because end of the day I'm just tired.

I recently had the game crash and all my settings get reset and then my fps refused to climb above 50 on Ste. Mère Église even when I cranked things down.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
One question I have if anyone happens to know, when it comes to supply drops off the back of supply trucks is there a maximum number of supply drops allowed? Will you hit a cap at some point where it just starts replacing them? Or could I hypothetically litter the battlefield with dozens of supply drops off the back of a truck?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
There are unlimited supplies at HQ for the truck. People go on empty servers and do exactly what you're saying to level up.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
new map preview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DvoL2IU0YM

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

I'm sure this gets asked a lot but is there a Discord or Steam group to find goon squads? I couldn't see one in the OP or PGS, and I'm a bit apprehensive about learning the game with pubs.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I think that's been asked a bit and I'm not sure there is one. if someone can confirm that maybe we just set one up. Someone mentioned playing on the hotdog7 server, which I started doing, but I don't really recognize names well

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I ended up being in a game with Summit1G and I’m pretty sure the opposing team was watching his stream. Anywhere he went was a bad place to be while on his team.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Sockington posted:

I ended up being in a game with Summit1G and I’m pretty sure the opposing team was watching his stream. Anywhere he went was a bad place to be while on his team.
I watched part of that stream. He didn't cover his map so not surprised, though the only time I see people actually watch a Hell Let Loose Stream is when Summit streams it.

Also aside from the new map today they reworked SMDM city area and opened up a bunch more playable areas around there finally. Also that and the new map I believe get the new hedge rework where you can shoot through the bushes now, and see people on the other side.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Had a 18 kill streak as assault until I finally ran out of ammo and tried to charge with grenades the enemy tank finally blew my brains out

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

drat game keeps crashing and resetting all my settings. seems to happen sometimes when minimizing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Triple posting:

I do not like the new map. It's been a stomp every time I've played it and advancing is incredibly frustrating because you end up with dumbies scattered all over the place and every single bush could house one of those left behind Japanese soldier that's still fighting over the locked point for 20 years