Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PrivRyan
Aug 3, 2012

This rock smells like stone.
I haven’t played in a good while, Eastern Front is looking really good.

I’d love to play with you guys sometime, steam is priv_bryan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

So frustrating; I have about 200 hours into this game pre update 9, and since that update poo poo starts lagging after about 10min which makes it unplayable...

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I like the idea of asymmetrical balance but the Russians really need at least an AT grenade like the RPG-43. A PTRS is just totally inadequate against Panthers & Tigers no matter how close you get (as it should be). You can use satchel charges or mines of course, but then you have to get literally on top of the tank and if it moves at all before you lay the charge you're probably dead and if it moves afterwards then it was all for nothing.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
I think the Russians might need a faster respawn or something to make up for the less heavy hitting weapons too. I've heard the Russian anti-tank is useless unless you light up tanks from directly behind but in the open maps it's pretty hard to circle them without getting killed if the other team knows what they're doing.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The lack of proper A/T does seem like an issue for the Russians, the only counter is really having tanks, and if you don't, it can be difficult to counter the medium tank and especially the Tiger. I think the way to use the A/T gun is to track the tank and try and have someone satchel, or have a tank help finish them.

As far as weapons, I think they are pretty balanced against the Germans, they get a bunch of automatics and the DP is pretty accurate in my experience and the bolt is exactly like the Kar.I think the thing they lack is a Gewehr equivalent but that only shows up in high ranked classes ( level 6 rifleman, level 6 assault, and maybe level 5 officer?)

Also I just really hate the suppression in this game, it's far too powerful and the Russian weapons really highlight how overpowered it can be. Like, even at 100m, they can make you not see anything and you end up a sitting suck with a Kar.

Edit: Okay, the SVT seems a lot like the Gewehr and sounds better, so I was wrong there.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 30, 2021

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
how is the performance these days

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

I played last night with no issues and I don't have an amazing computer or anything. I'm lucky though that there's usually some full servers showing like 30ping for me so maybe it depends on where you're playing from?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I have to say, I very much do enjoy how the Russian equivalent to the other factions' morphine revive is just a hearty pat on the back :allears:

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

eonwe posted:

how is the performance these days

Noticeably better than a year ago

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Picked this up last weekend and have played a decent amount this week. I am slowly branching out to other roles, but feel most comfy with rifleman, medic, and AR for now. I would LOVE to get some goon squads together for some actual real cooperation and coordination. I would be willing to cough up a few bucks to help fund a server if we decided we had enough people that wanted to play. Even if it was only 20 or so, that is plenty to help wrangle pubbies to victory.

The visceral feel of combat is pretty well done. It is quite satisfying to put down enemy troops, especially when you make their helmets ring. I have had some luck body-shooting guys and camping their corpses a couple of times too.

If you want a shooter but are tired of getting murdered by autists in planes and dancing spray and pray encounters, you could definitely do worse. Watch some videos and read up about it- I jumped in cold, and was COMPLETELY clueless about everything. My first 10 deaths or so I never know what hit me. At least know I can figure out (mostly) which direction enemies should be coming from.

If you wanna lone wolf it a bit, belly crawling around in the forest with a rifleman can be rewarding if you are patient. I actually had a guy run past me from behind (he literally almost stepped on me) when I was flanking alone. His helmet made a fun sound when I shot him in the back of the head :thurman:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Performance is definitely better after update 10. Only thing that's made me chug is being high up on a roof top in Stalingrad with lots of poo poo going down

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

Perestroika posted:

I have to say, I very much do enjoy how the Russian equivalent to the other factions' morphine revive is just a hearty pat on the back :allears:

haven't had a chance to play them yet but do Russian medics not run out of revives? or am I confusing that with bandages

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

ghosthorse posted:

haven't had a chance to play them yet but do Russian medics not run out of revives? or am I confusing that with bandages

Oh nah, mechanically they work the same as the other factions, it's just a different animation. Russian medics have a supply of exactly 20 backpats, I guess afterwards their hands get sore.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This game has no squad support atm and I really want to play with goons, so I got a server.

:siren: It's called "HLLJK" at IP 172.107.179.39 :siren:

If this thing actually gets used, maybe I could make a Patreon or something to help pay for increasing the number of players

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

rt4 posted:

This game has no squad support atm and I really want to play with goons, so I got a server.

If this thing actually gets used, maybe I could make a Patreon or something to help pay for increasing the number of players

Added to the OP!

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If you're also in the mood for wasting money like me, you can donate to the server funds here: https://www.g-portal.com/int/donate/e470c8bdd973e5390b900b0af11904ec/gportal_27912066
I don't think it's possible for me to use this money on anything but the server

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

rt4 posted:

If you're also in the mood for wasting money like me, you can donate to the server funds here: https://www.g-portal.com/int/donate/e470c8bdd973e5390b900b0af11904ec/gportal_27912066
I don't think it's possible for me to use this money on anything but the server

Also added to the OP!

lol

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Rusty posted:

Also I just really hate the suppression in this game,

Hey buddy, I like suppression. How dare you rob me of my immersive role play of a shell shocked good ole boy from Nebraska!

rt4 posted:

Oh cool! So does that mean we have a goon clan tag now? LLJK?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I've been using the clan tag "BAD" because it best describes my playstyle

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Amazing Member posted:

Oh cool! So does that mean we have a goon clan tag now? LLJK?

Hell yeah, let's do it

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

I picked this up a while ago in EA but wanted to wait until it was out before really getting in to it. Any recommended guides or youtube channels on playing the classes so I'm less of a liability right out of the gate? Played a ton of RO and RS2: Vietnam sounds I'm at least familiar with the more realistic shooters.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A lot of the infantry stuff isn't that complex. Tanks are less self-explanatory. A single good tank crew can turn the tide of a match

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrlR2g0yFKA

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
:siren: cum play h*ll let loose on the lljk server m'lord :siren:

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
is the server in north amerlca or EU?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
North America, Washington, DC

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

rt4 posted:

:siren: cum play h*ll let loose on the lljk server m'lord :siren:

Did they rip you off or is the server only for 64 max players?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's 64 max players. I don't understand what you're suggesting?

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

rt4 posted:

It's 64 max players. I don't understand what you're suggesting?

Wait i'm confused, i thought max players were like 50v50,

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Most servers are 50v50 yes.

Game good, update ur OP, OP with some game deets/pics/vids

MrYenko posted:

Also added to the OP!

drunkill posted:

Okay, had some fun on Kursk tonight.

This patch has really improved performance, I've got at least a 10 frame improvement even in heavy battle, no noticeable chop.

The new devblog has an updated roadmap for the game, most of the things we knew about, but a few surprises in there like deployable AA guns and an Ostwind coming in the future. You can read it here: https://steamcommunity.com/games/686810/announcements/detail/2998819078306679126

I think the OP should be updated with some more information.

The game is really fun, devs support it very well with constant updates for 3 years now and a long roadmap for another two years at least (British faction, Japan & Pacific added in the future) and the game is good, a bit of a running simulator at times, but with the introduction of transport trucks and Halftracks being added soon, should help with the meta game in the near future.

Rolling around in tanks is fun, especially on Foy where the map is open enough for long range battles.

You don't need a super well coordinated team, just a squad with Mics and a half decent commander. If you're a Squadleader you can use command chat to yell at the other SLs to mark targets on the map and provide information for everyone to relay to their own squads, that is when the game shines.

Here is the past roadmap showing what has been added to the game since it launched on Steam as early access and where it will go in the next 12-16 months now that the game has reached version 1.0

Also include some of this stuff in the OP, it is all handy

HLL Artillery calculator
https://www.hell-let-loose-calculator.com/#/

HLL Wikia
https://hellletloose.fandom.com/wiki/Hell_Let_Loose

Some other tips and tricks, all explained in the ingame Field Manual which explains each class, weapon, vehicle and map.

Infantry Controls
X = Command chat (red/brown colour), squad leaders and the commander can talk to eachother to coordinate the battle.
C = Squad chat, talk to your squad mates (green colour)
V = Local Chat (blue) talk to those in proximity, warn a tank there is a mine infront of him or yell for a medic over voice comms.

MMB = Ping. Very useful to warn squadmates of targets, where to go, things of interest. Brings up a small red ping marker on your squads screen and map for 5 seconds.

Z = Prone (Crtl = Crouch/stand)
G = Grenade, pull out a grenade, you can cook them before throwing to reduce the fuse timer. Right click to drop a grenade in an underarm throw over a wall or out a window.
B = Melee, stab or bash the enemy to death with a shovel, knive and in the future, bayonet.
F = Use, deploy your machine gun bipod, enter a vehicle, pick up ammo from a crate, dismantle an enemy garrison or supply crate, also pull out your bandage when wounded.
T = Tactical overlay, rings up the HUD including ammo count, weapon selected, commander/officer map markers, map sector information/location name

Vehicle Controls:
E = Start the engine or turn it off
Shift = Change Gear Up
Ctrl = Shift gear Down
Space = Handbrake for trucks (do tight cornering)
F1,F2,F3etc = Change seats, F1 is Driver, F2 is Gunner, F3 is Commander/Spotter seat in most tank and vehicles.
1, 2, 3 = Ammo type selection, for most, 1 is Armour Piercing ammo, 2 is High Explosive Ammo and 3 is smoke where applicable.
RMB = Coaxial machine gun, either as the gunner or in some tanks, the driver has a Coax MG they can shoot infront of them.

Roles

Command
Commander: Leader of your faction. Responsible for coordinating actions of all squads, maintaining a view of the overall battlefield, and for using commander abilities to do things like drop air support supplies, strafing or bombing runs, using the resources you get from resource nodes to spawn tanks and vehicles for your team.

Infantry
Officer: Lead a squad, talk to other squadleaders and commander in Command Chat (X), place down Outposts (squad spawn) and Garrisons (team spawn, requires supplies) with your pocketwatch. Hasbinoculars, frag and smoke grenades, pistol and an SMG or Rifle
Rifleman: Basic soldier, carries a rifle (M1 Garand, Kar98, Nagant), grenades and a deployable box of ammo to resupply your teammates.
Assault: close quarter combat infantry, carries an SMG (Thompson, MP40 or PPSH) or auto rifle (BAR, Geweh43, STG44) and grenades and smoke grenades depending on the loadout. Storm trenches, buildings or strongpoints.
Automatic Rifleman: Suppressive fire role. Carries either a BAR/STG44 or a Thompson/MP40/PPSH depending on loadout with some grenades and bandages.
Medic: Can revive downed teammates who are bleeding out. Use morphine to revive and bandage allies much faster than they can. Has a M1 Carbine or Kar98 in standard loadout with smoke grenades. Can unlock a pistol only loadout with extra smoke grenades.
Support: Drops supplies on the battlefield for squad leaders to build garrisons (team spawn points) or engineers to build resource nodes or defensive structures. Can place ammo crates for teammates.
Machine Gunner: Suppressive fire with your machinegun (M1919, BAR, MG42, MG43, DP-27) also carries a pistol (M1911, Luger)
Anti-Tank: Rocket launcher (Bazooka with 4 rockets, Panzerschreck with 2 rockets) or AT Rifle for Soviets. Use your wrench to construct an anti-tank gun emplacement with supplies (PAK40, 57mm M1) or place AT mines with an alternate loadout.
Engineer: The most complex role, use supplies to build fortifications (barricades, wire fence, hedgegog/belgian gates and upgrade them or place down repair stations for friendly tanks, resource nodes for the commander (Fuel, Manpower, Munitions) carries a Carbine or Kar98, AT and AP mines or an explosive satchel charge. And a repair wrench/blowtorch to repair tanks.

Armour
Tank Commander: Leader of a tank squad. Can talk to other squadleaders to mark enemy targets, carries an SMG and Binoculars.
Crewman: Drive, Shoot or Command a tank, allows you to enter friendly vehicles, carries a pistol and smoke grenades, can unlock a repair blowtorch as another loadout.

Recon
Spotter: Recon squadleader. Can place down an outpost behind enemy lines (only person who can) for snipers to spawn at. Hunt behind enemy lines and scout for your team. Has an SMG (Thompson, MP40, PPSH), smoke grenades and an anti-personnel mine.
Sniper: The onlt person ingame with a scope. Only two recon squads can exist in any team. Uses a M1903 Springfield or a Kar98k with a x8 scope.

Some random good gameplay videos to get an idea of the game:

Hell Let Loose - !!NEW!! GUIDE to EVERYTHING (Update 10) [2021]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaY27yiOPPA

Is HLL Still worth it? July 2021: Update 10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK1lomGigec

Infantry gameplay: Hurtgen Forest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwdo9NHL9CM

Infantry gameplay: Machine Gunner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzNvgPGQHRs

Infantry gameplay: Anti-Tank
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAIRIQGEbNc

Tank gameplay: Sainte-Mere-Eglise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VVORUbETsI

Tank gameplay: Foy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3UlgRgyxgA

Throw a few images into the OP too

The maps are even based on 1:1 real life layouts using terrain data and era period aerial photos to recreate battlefields, like Saint Marie Du Mont below:

And Hurtgen Forrest has an easter egg off map too, the P-1000 Ratte! My Tank is Fight!

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Amazing Member posted:

Wait i'm confused, i thought max players were like 50v50,

That costs a lot more! If fellow goons chip in, I can get a bigger one

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Woops I was looking at the 3 month price lol; time to upgrade

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Crucial information for pubstomping

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBZpLNGeYl0

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Have to say, I'm not much of a fan of the Kursk map so far. The wide-open nature of it means that the only way to not get murdered instantly is to cling to the occasional buildings scattered around, which in turn will be constantly bombarded by arty and tanks. I figured I'd try to go with MG and get some longer-distance flanking fire from a reverse slope going, but it turns out there's knee-high grass everywhere so that you're completely blind whenever you go prone. Even the trenches are so shittily made that you either couldn't see anything out of them, or just plain couldn't deploy the gun on them.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

something for the op, the dev team posted this to steam as a new players guide:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HellLetLoose/comments/ou3g0t/hll_new_player_guide/

e: just found out too that medics and sl's drastically debuff suppression for everyone around them which I don't think the game tells you anywhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccL9andkr-k

ghosthorse fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 2, 2021

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccL9andkr-k

Another tip, tool, and reason you should be close by with your squad

It seems a lot of new people don't seem to get this is a more cooperative squad game than a lone wolf sim

Edit: ^^^ what he said

Bomb-omb Texting
Sep 24, 2009
Is this squad but in ww2?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bomb-omb Texting posted:

Yeah but it's a little more accessible

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bomb-omb Texting posted:

Same general principles of logistics, bases, squad spawning, that kind of thing but even with the movement and gun play revamps throughout EA I'd say the gameplay itself hews a bit more Red Orchestra than Squad, though it is as lethal.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Updated the OP again!

Did it from my phone, so it’s rough. I’ll give it another pass when I get back to my computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for keeping the OP updated! This thread is all about teamwork