Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Bomb-omb Texting posted:

Is this squad but in ww2?

ehhh i'd say the continuum is like this

Day of Defeat -> Red Orchestra -> Hell Let Loose -> Post Scriptum/Squad

post scriptum is almost literally squad ww2, for better or worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to try to get on HLLJK Goonserver every night at 9:00pm EDT this week to start things up

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

rt4 posted:

If you're also in the mood for wasting money like me, you can donate to the server funds here: https://www.g-portal.com/int/donate/e470c8bdd973e5390b900b0af11904ec/gportal_27912066
I don't think it's possible for me to use this money on anything but the server

Donated. I will jump on and hang for a bit and see if we can get this thing started.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WayAbvPar posted:

Donated. I will jump on and hang for a bit and see if we can get this thing started.

Thanks! I hope this becomes a real thing because playing TF2 with goons was the most fun I've ever had with video games

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Playing Battlefield with goons has resulted in more hysterical laughter from me than any other gaming experience.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

rt4 posted:

Thanks! I hope this becomes a real thing because playing TF2 with goons was the most fun I've ever had with video games

Perhaps post your server and details about it to the main HLL discord group? I think once you get like 20-40 players in it'll organically attract a lot more as a lot of the servers get filled to the brim if its got a good ping

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Looking forward to getting home and checking this game out!

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Protip: lean left as often as possible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSuw_GJ9mW8

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I think I'm actually getting worse at this. I think the problem is I can't see poo poo - close up I'm okay, but any distance and I can't see muzzle flashes or anything barring a machine gun hosing rounds out. Like, I'll be in concealment somewhere, fully prone, not actively firing, ding. Head shot. Don't know if I should try changing graphics settings or what.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

a mysterious cloak posted:

I think I'm actually getting worse at this. I think the problem is I can't see poo poo - close up I'm okay, but any distance and I can't see muzzle flashes or anything barring a machine gun hosing rounds out. Like, I'll be in concealment somewhere, fully prone, not actively firing, ding. Head shot. Don't know if I should try changing graphics settings or what.

This might be useful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOAbfNTSHBk

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Gonna watch the leaning and not-dying videos and try a couple of matches tomorrow. Thanks!

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Well, died a bunch on Kursk as infantry then got my first enemy kill in the game dropping artillery on marks. Felt useful at least :unsmith:

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

If you want to be really useful, go Enginèer and build nodes. Munitions first, then manpower.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Played my first match last night and had a good time. Lost my voice comms, in and out bound, when I turned off my blutooth headphones (mic was a usb desktop mic tho!) and the fun of the game dropped a lot when I wasn't bantering with my mates. Would love to play with goons some time.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

rt4 posted:

Protip: lean left as often as possible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSuw_GJ9mW8

:holymoley: tried this out last night and it's a gamechanger. i feel dirty

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Wrr posted:

Played my first match last night and had a good time. Lost my voice comms, in and out bound, when I turned off my blutooth headphones (mic was a usb desktop mic tho!) and the fun of the game dropped a lot when I wasn't bantering with my mates. Would love to play with goons some time.
If this happens you can go in to the audio settings and disconnect and reconnect again and it will usually give you comms back.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
So I, as a medic on the German side in the battle of Kursk managed to run behind the enemy lines and killed the two gunners on the arty causing havoc with our advance with a shovel.

I then waited a while until they came back, then threw in a grenade to kill them again.

Forgetting that I was a medic, so all I did was increase their chances of emphysema. Whoops.

Good times.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

I have done the grenade thing more than a few times. It makes it especially fun when you are always switching classes.

I have yet to accomplish a melee kill. I am always so terrified when I see an enemy that close I just spam fire until I hear their helmet come off...

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

WayAbvPar posted:

I have done the grenade thing more than a few times. It makes it especially fun when you are always switching classes.

I have yet to accomplish a melee kill. I am always so terrified when I see an enemy that close I just spam fire until I hear their helmet come off...

There was a surprisingly long delay between me being able to swing the shovel to kill the gunner after I killed the loader. Of course it helps that when you are in the arty positions you have no situational awareness, with the loader's view locked on the back of the piece and the gunner being locked into the sight of the gun.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Yes, when attacking guys on arty try to come in from the right, the in-arty camera is pointing left.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Only got in one full map but it was better. I'd been falling back to playing it like Battlefield instead of, you know, keeping my head down and not doing anything stupid.

I wound up mid-match on our far left flank, the Russian team was trying to go between two houses in front of me and I just kept dropping them - pop one, wait for medic, pop the medic, repeat. Got 9-10 kills right there in just a couple of minutes and they quit trying to go that way :smug:

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

that awkward moment when you stumble across an enemy garrison and 15 german nazis phase into existence

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Its very frustrating when you crawl into an area, stick your head up to get a look and get popped almost immediately.

Spotting hidden infantry is very difficult, but apparently they can see me super easily.

Dwarf Named Magnus
Jul 27, 2019
I've been playing as an engineer lately and it's pretty fun. The tank crews are always super happy to see you.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Cimber posted:

Its very frustrating when you crawl into an area, stick your head up to get a look and get popped almost immediately.

Spotting hidden infantry is very difficult, but apparently they can see me super easily.

Ive had pretty good luck with crawling and waiting for the bad guys to run into me , very map specific though, needs long grass.

They can’t see you until they’re right on top of you usually , and you can just wait for the foot steps and fire at the movement

Ive taken entire trench lines from behind clearing out 4-5 guys and a garrison that way

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

rt4 posted:

I'm going to try to get on HLLJK Goonserver every night at 9:00pm EDT this week to start things up

did I miss the boat, i can't seem to find the server in the list?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Blue On Blue posted:

The server's online and had a few players last night. I've noticed the HLL server browser is fickle and sometimes needs a refresh to show all servers. Also, you may need to click a button to show empty servers since it's usually empty

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Blue On Blue posted:

If you're new and just want to try all the buttons I totally recommend the goon server right now, good ping and you can try out commander without the stress of SLs yelling at you and learn the ropes!

A functioning SL and Commander, or even just a tight tank crew can really objectively make the game 10x to 100xs engaging and fun!

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A good 3 person tank crew is one of my all time favorite online game experiences. Commander also isn't that hard, just talk, put down supplies and garrisons, do recon flights, and watch your team steamroll the opposition

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I have to say, I do wish the server browser was a bit smarter. Telling it to filter out full servers is a bit useless when it then shows me a couple dozen servers that are supposedly at 98/100 players but still have full queues and can't be joined.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Perestroika posted:

I have to say, I do wish the server browser was a bit smarter. Telling it to filter out full servers is a bit useless when it then shows me a couple dozen servers that are supposedly at 98/100 players but still have full queues and can't be joined.

i think its a rite of passage for games to have horrible server brower UI's

as no one in the history of video games has managed to crack the code on making one that just works yet

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Blue On Blue posted:

i think its a rite of passage for games to have horrible server brower UI's

as no one in the history of video games has managed to crack the code on making one that just works yet

The HL/HL2 server browser with bones from the mid nineties is legit better in most respects than most modern server browsers.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

One small thing I like is that squad leader chat is it’s own little world compared to the rest of comms with your squad.

Been loving the game and it definitely hits the RO itch.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

George H.W. oval office posted:

One small thing I like is that squad leader chat is it’s own little world compared to the rest of comms with your squad.

Been loving the game and it definitely hits the RO itch.

I particularly enjoy the times when our squad leader is gossiping with the rest of the squad about the angry drama in leader chat whenever the round is going poorly :allears:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Picked this up the other day and been having some fun with it. Still have precisely 0 idea what the hell is going on, how the scoring works, how to tell if I actually hit someone other than opening the score board to check my kills, how the supplies work, how the spawnpoints work. All I know is follow my team around and shoot mans.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The only sure fire way to know you got a kill other than scoreboard checking is to listen for that satisfying *ding* of a headshot.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

Blue On Blue posted:

you can put "HLLJK" into the tiny search bar on the top right of the server browser and that found it for me (not being a jerk I seriously didn't see the search bar for the longest time). then I added it to my favourites for when I finally get time to play again hopefully

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

George H.W. oval office posted:

The only sure fire way to know you got a kill other than scoreboard checking is to listen for that satisfying *ding* of a headshot.
You get hit sounds as well, they are a bit more subtle, but you can definitely tell. If you're in the rifle range of one shot kill and get a hit sound, they are dead. For the automatics, I know if I hear 3 hit sounds they are dead for the most part. I think the farther away the hit, the softer it is, I know from like 200m you don't hear it.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Don't worry, killing enemies counts for very little compared to building stuff or just hanging out in a contested sector

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I would say the most important thing in this game is taking down garrisons and taking down outposts, followed by killing the person who is able to place these things. You will have a hard time taking a point if they have a garrison and can spawn their whole team in 40 seconds. Also, as the defending team, you should have at least two garrisons for this reason and OPs all over the point if possible to see when they ping red.