Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
this is all really good information, listen to this guy

aldantefax posted:

Organization and Logistics

The key difference in logistics between one versus many games has to do with organization. If you don't have an orderly and predictable lifestyle to carve out for your game, then this is also something that will cause your game to come to an abrupt halt.

So I'm in grad school now and my schedule is chaotic as hell because most of my lab work is based on short-term contracts and I also used to have to do a lot of traveling before lockdown. If you have something like this going on, there's an alternative option where you GM for a "West Marches" or "Living Community" style game, where each session is a pickup game composed of whatever players can make it at the time (or whoever you pick depending if there are a lot available). This way you can maybe run a game once per week, three on a slow week, or take a week off without interrupting too much. You just prep the notes like you normally do and run it when you have an open spot on the schedule to sit down and play. While I wouldn't necessarily recommend this for a newer GM, all the scheduling and workflow are pretty much unchanged from everything Fax has described so far, so all this stuff still applies.

Discord has made this way easier to organize than in the past, but keep in mind large group dynamics can be very different from having a "home game" where you're with one gm and the same group of people all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU