Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pasha
Nov 9, 2017

aldantefax posted:

I have about fifteen minutes before my game tonight but I remember I'm supposed to make a dungeon so I'm probably going to take a nap or two and some encounters and bash things together or make the players build me a map. We run in Roll20 for this group but I am probably going to try to move them over to tabletop simulator in the future because I like it way better.

Perhaps a bit off-topic, but what about Tabletop Simulator do you like (compared to Roll20 or Fantasy Grounds)? I have seen screenshots of intricate table setups for Tabletop Simulator, but it also looks like it might be a lot of work to set all that up ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pasha
Nov 9, 2017

aldantefax posted:

I do run things in Roll20 still but it is because the chief drawback of Tabletop Simulator is that it causes computers to melt sometimes. It is a physics simulator, and weird physics interactions like rolling a lot of dice can cause people's computers to fall over.

One nice thing about Roll20 (and Fantasy Grounds) is that the software performs many of the calculations for you (for example, adding together the 1d20 roll and all the proficiency bonuses, magical weapon bonuses, etc). Is TS sophisticated enough to do something like this, or do you generally just do it manually? I have used TS in the past for random board games, but I haven't done anything complicated with it.