Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
There's a lot of interesting ideas here, but I hope it doesn't go the way of "the standard generic GM advice, plus have a ludicrous amount of energy and time."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
I was afraid of this. I think I’ve only ever seen one recent game where the players were close to reciprocating passion and that was overloaded with players so they were disengaging for other reasons.

It’s easy to say “have passion reciprocated” but you do not get passion reciprocated by trying to get passion reciprocated. You appear to get it by being the popular kid so that you can easily burn through groups until you find one that happens to do so.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

aldantefax posted:

It strikes me as odd being accusatory by saying "you appear to get passion reciprocated by being popular"...Since, most to all of these games were cobbled together with disparate groups of people. About half of the players are people that I know and are friends with already that are interested in playing, but the other half were strangers that I met through random online conversations, and later they came to be engaged with the game after talking through things with them.

That’s what I meant - the ability to do that is popularity, or rather is the talent that manifests as popularity. A non popular person is restricted to limited sets of people and if they withdraw from those sets, they lose, rather than the set losing.

From your writing above, it sounds like you have infectious enthusiasm, which is a great gift indeed, but a rare one and a partly competitive one.

quote:

Pretty much anything is easier to say than do in the notes that I put into this thread or any other. If your intent is to read the thread and go "that isn't what I'd do, nor are they my experiences in the past, nor do I agree that this is a thing that I can do" - then, this is something that is on you.

On the one hand, the first statement is true; on the other, representing yourself as an advisor means it is not wholly on the reader. If nobody else in the world could do what you suggest, it would be invalid as advice; if nobody else agreed they could, it would be correct advice but poor transformational writing.

hyphz fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 31, 2021

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Pasha posted:

One nice thing about Roll20 (and Fantasy Grounds) is that the software performs many of the calculations for you (for example, adding together the 1d20 roll and all the proficiency bonuses, magical weapon bonuses, etc). Is TS sophisticated enough to do something like this, or do you generally just do it manually? I have used TS in the past for random board games, but I haven't done anything complicated with it.

TS has a full Lua backend so can do a bunch of this stuff, but it isn't always convenient to integrate the user interface for doing so with the table, and there's weird restrictions in doing so.