Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

IUG posted:

gently caress it, months-long double posting. Got an email this morning about the tribute concert.

https://foofighters.cmail20.com/t/ViewEmail/r/6ED88267504D34392540EF23F30FEDED/2E3FA4556B15BE8A8BD4C707EBCCB890?alternativeLink=False

Might try to watch it via Pluto on Saturday, especially since the time difference (I'm on the East Coast) means that it starts at noon.

I know the billing order doesn't mean what it does for other festivals or anything, but I get a warm fuzzy feeling seeing Nandi Bushell third billed on this poster. That's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Holy poo poo, that line up is stacked

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Starts in about 10 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOnjLuBBkhU

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

I'm already crying.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Did the audio go out of sync, or is the guy from James Gang lip syncing?

Fixed by exiting and reopening the feed.

IUG fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 3, 2022

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

thrawn527 posted:

I know the billing order doesn't mean what it does for other festivals or anything, but I get a warm fuzzy feeling seeing Nandi Bushell third billed on this poster. That's awesome.

agreed, nandi owns! (i honestly would not be upset if she took taylor's place in the foo fighters, like, at all. but only after she's graduated college. they can get a temp till then.)

this whole concert has been effing insane. this will go down as one of the greatest concerts of all time. great venue, great sound, absolutely unbelievable lineup. dave's gotta be over the moon getting to play neal's part along with geddy and alex.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Aishlinn posted:

agreed, nandi owns! (i honestly would not be upset if she took taylor's place in the foo fighters, like, at all. but only after she's graduated college. they can get a temp till then.)

this whole concert has been effing insane. this will go down as one of the greatest concerts of all time. great venue, great sound, absolutely unbelievable lineup. dave's gotta be over the moon getting to play neal's part along with geddy and alex.

It was some straight up sunset strip butt rock when I tuned in. Some lady in a leather dress singing something that sounded like an Enuff ZNuff song. Turned it off.

Slavik
May 10, 2009
Aww Dave, trying his hardest to keep himself together ❤️

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Yeah id call it a stretch to say a concert thats mostly covers as one of the best of all time, even if the line up of names is stacked.

That said Violets covers of Grace and Last Goodbye were pretty good, I was wondering why Jef Buckley till I realised Ive listened to those songs so many times I've forgotten what they're about, Grace being about death and Last goodbye being, well

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Balls, they made that video private? I didn’t get to finish it yesterday, and was hoping to finish it today. I hope they put this thing up somewhere to watch again. (Maybe edit out all that dead air between sets.)

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
It's up on Paramount+, Pluto TV, and MTV on Demand.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Goddamn

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Surprised CC Deville couldn’t make it.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Not sure if we want/need a new thread or can just turn this into a FF megathread, but the first track from a new album has dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3S8wdJhgac

No official word as to who's drumming on the record, to my ear it sounds like it could well be Grohl himself.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I already pre-ordered the white vinyl from their store, and added the Dave Grohl “Play” LP that I’m not sure if I’ve even heard of.

I didn’t listen to the new track though. I already knew I was blind buying this record, so I’ll just listen to it with the rest of the album.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Didn't think we'd be hearing anything so soon. That song definitely strikes exactly the tone I want from them at this moment. Feeling a little bit like One By One with the angsty urgency but less of an ear-bleeding production style. (It feels somehow selfish even saying anything about what I want from them right now, but in theory this is a thing I'll be paying money for, so there you have it.)

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 19, 2023

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Very In Your Honor. I like it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Apparently they were gonna perform on SNL some time this month, but the writers' strike ended that. I wonder if that would've been the official reveal of a new drummer?

https://pitchfork.com/news/foo-fighters-were-going-to-perform-on-snl-before-the-writers-strike/

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

My tribute band knocked out the new song last night, not sure if we're the first or if someone else has beaten us to it

https://youtu.be/jOnc_4kAmRM

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
2nd single, "Under You":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seok6lO1n-8

Really old-school vibes on this one. Guitar tone seems unusual for reasons I'm not schooled enough to articulate. More upbeat than "Rescued" but lyrically I think there's some pretty serious stuff going on. Seems like it might be reaching back to that older trauma.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

So, Josh Freese then

Anyone else watching the live thing on Veeps?

Weird seeing him try to feel his way into such a settled group dynamic, personally as much as musically. Punk roots really got him pushing some tempos too! He's a very good drummer but I'm definitely not 100% on him as a Foo Fighter yet.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I do think at the end of the day Josh Freese will always be Josh Freese. The Foos are just his latest gig. Which kind of feels perfect to me. He doesn't have quite as much of a burden as someone less accomplished would be, because if people don't think he's as good as Taylor, who cares? He's still Josh Freese. He'll be fine.

Plus he seems to be able to play anything, which obviously is the more important thing I guess.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I've enjoyed the two recent tracks more than anything they've put out in at least a decade. I have high hopes for this album.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I’d rather have Josh Freese than, like, some 30-year-old person I’ve never heard of.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkniPW6JilM

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
Freese kicks rear end.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

So he's just playing with the Foos live? Is he or is he not an official member?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Happy Hippo posted:

So he's just playing with the Foos live? Is he or is he not an official member?

Grohl plays drums on the album, but he also did for 95% of the Colour and the Shape, so :shrug:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

Grohl plays drums on the album, but he also did for 95% of the Colour and the Shape, so :shrug:

And about half of There Is Nothing Left To Lose :eng101:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Edward Mass posted:

Grohl plays drums on the album

Oh, has this been confirmed? I know people were speculating based on some song credits or something, but I hadn't heard anything concrete.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

Oh, has this been confirmed? I know people were speculating based on some song credits or something, but I hadn't heard anything concrete.

I think the most confirmation was Freese saying to Dave "on the album you played it like" re one of the new songs.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Another new song, "Show Me How".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idib1kDvPyM

This one is really dreamy and vibey, along the lines of There Is Nothing Left To Lose, but with an extra helping of shoegaze/dream-pop influences. It also features vocals by Dave's daughter Violet. (as per Pitchfork)

It's drat beautiful.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
No shame double-posting, they dropped another new song already. Presumably the last one before Friday. Also, it's 10 minutes long and freaking amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MF6trC529M

It's the second-to-last song from the album so you may want to hold off if you want the maximum dramatic impact. It's presumably about his mom, who was a teacher.

Also, reviews of the album are dropping and they're very positive so far.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah I’ve been holding off on all the singles for this album. A 10 minute song has me pretty excited though.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

IUG posted:

I already pre-ordered the white vinyl from their store, and added the Dave Grohl “Play” LP that I’m not sure if I’ve even heard of.

I didn’t listen to the new track though. I already knew I was blind buying this record, so I’ll just listen to it with the rest of the album.

I had no idea what 'Play' was either. Then youtube showed me that it was a cool rear end one-man instrumental that Dave did nearly five years ago!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e05H80-k0mY

Also.....they dropped 'The Teacher'. Ten minute (epic) tribute to his mother who passed just a few months after Taylor. I'd say it's easily the best thing Dave's written since Wasting Light came out around 12 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MF6trC529M

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Album is really loving good guys

Instantly my favourite since In Your Honour, at least.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
First impressions of the full album:

"But Here We Are" is another excellent track, on par with the singles for sure.

"The Glass", "Beyond Me", and "Rest" are probably gonna be growers. I only realized about halfway through "The Glass" that it's probably about his daughter, and I'm probably gonna cry like an idiot next time I listen to it. Not that these songs have to each be specifically about one person. I feel like in some sense all of the songs are about all of the people he's loved -- Taylor, his mother, Violet, and probably also Kurt.

The album definitely felt a little overly loud/distorted at times, but I'll have to do some more listens (and on some more equipment) to really evaluate it and figure out what the cause is. It doesn't seem like the same type of thing that bugged me about One By One. I would still say the overall vibe I get from this is OBO with better writing and (probably) better production.

"The Teacher" remains the crowning achievement here, and I've lost any doubts I had about whether the second half is necessary. The whole thing definitely holds together; the first half is this sort of dazed life-flashing-before-his-eyes thing, very impressionistic, like random phrases from his life are just popping into his head. That "Who's at the door now?" is so haunting. Then the second half is where it settles down and he learns how to breathe, grieve, and say goodbye. Really incredible stuff.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

sebzilla posted:

Album is really loving good guys

Instantly my favourite since In Your Honour, at least.

It's a great album. Definitely my favorite since 'Wasting Light'. 'The Teacher' has not left my head since I first heard it. It's incredible.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Man. Rest hits me so drat hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Side note, if anybody buys the vinyl and discovers that it comes with a digital download, let me know. So far I'm not finding any such language at any place where you can buy it, so I'm assuming the worst. Even Amazon looks like the album isn't available for "AutoRip" (where they give you MP3s immediately alongside any format of the album).

It's a really annoying trend lately. I know in theory you're getting 2 things for the price of one, but in like, the real world, we all know it costs them next to nothing to give you MP3s. I like vinyl, and I'm particularly curious about this album where I have some questions about the mixing/mastering, but I know I would regret not having it digitally since I'm way more likely to actually listen to that on a regular basis. Having to choose between the two basicalliy kills why vinyl had become such an appealing option to me lately. I really like having a physical product (and giving more money to bands I like!) but CDs are just so lame at this point.