Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I preordered the vinyl as well, and won’t get it until Thursday (according to UPS). So yeah, it’s disappointing they didn’t even give me a digital code when it shipped. I ended up just pirating the album so I could listen to it the day (after) it came out.

Aesop Rock gave me mp3s as soon as I ordered anything from his web store. Minutes later, days before anything shipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Sir Lemming posted:

Side note, if anybody buys the vinyl and discovers that it comes with a digital download, let me know. So far I'm not finding any such language at any place where you can buy it, so I'm assuming the worst. Even Amazon looks like the album isn't available for "AutoRip" (where they give you MP3s immediately alongside any format of the album).

It's a really annoying trend lately. I know in theory you're getting 2 things for the price of one, but in like, the real world, we all know it costs them next to nothing to give you MP3s. I like vinyl, and I'm particularly curious about this album where I have some questions about the mixing/mastering, but I know I would regret not having it digitally since I'm way more likely to actually listen to that on a regular basis. Having to choose between the two basicalliy kills why vinyl had become such an appealing option to me lately. I really like having a physical product (and giving more money to bands I like!) but CDs are just so lame at this point.

I like vinyls.....but compact discs are just way more practical.....in a day when physical media has basically already lost practicality. I buy CDs in order to rip them in any format that I so choose. Amazon and their MP3 only deal is absurd. The vinyls that I do buy are typically some of my favorite all time albums.....because there's better chance that I'll actually play them.

And it's super lame if record companies stop offering digital downloads with vinyl purchases.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

RestingB1tchFace posted:

And it's super lame if record companies stop offering digital downloads with vinyl purchases.

Unfortunately it seems to more or less already be happening. It's been a while since I got a legit digital download with any of the records I've bought. The best chance at this point is usually Amazon, but that seems to be getting more rare too.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I like vinyls.....but compact discs are just way more practical.....in a day when physical media has basically already lost practicality.

but the pictures are print bigger

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Sir Lemming posted:

"The Teacher" remains the crowning achievement here, and I've lost any doubts I had about whether the second half is necessary. The whole thing definitely holds together; the first half is this sort of dazed life-flashing-before-his-eyes thing, very impressionistic, like random phrases from his life are just popping into his head. That "Who's at the door now?" is so haunting. Then the second half is where it settles down and he learns how to breathe, grieve, and say goodbye. Really incredible stuff.

The song is a journey, no doubt. A journey through grief. I’ve never heard a song that quite nailed it like that.

I love it.

And then Rest comes in after it like a warm blanket. It’s an amazing album.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Got my (white) record in from the Foo’s store, no code for whoever it was asking.

I also got the “Play” solo album from Dave Grohl. The thing has much nicer packaging than the Foo album, lol. It was in this interesting gatefold design where there was a diagonal cut across the cover. It had some kind of studio sheet replication in it, and they sprang for one of the nicer sleeves with the plastic lining. Side B is an etching of one of Dave’s “blueprints” for how he set up the recording space.

This whole project completely got past me somehow, despite the effort he put into it. Looks like he recorded the whole 23 minute thing in one pass, doing each instrument one at a time. There’s a short documentary he did on this (which then just turns into some kind of music video for the whole thing). I think it’s worth checking out of you missed out on it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e05H80-k0mY

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
After careful consideration, I've determined that while BHWA is a great album, it would've been a stone cold classic had there been more acoustic instruments prominent.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Song Exploder just did their final podcast episode of the year, and they're going out with a bang by covering "The Teacher". Definitely worth checking out, Dave goes into a lot of detail about exactly how the song came together and when each part was written, and you get to hear plenty of snippets of demos and multitracks.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Sir Lemming posted:

Song Exploder just did their final podcast episode of the year, and they're going out with a bang by covering "The Teacher". Definitely worth checking out, Dave goes into a lot of detail about exactly how the song came together and when each part was written, and you get to hear plenty of snippets of demos and multitracks.

Thanks for the heads up. I've been meaning to check this podcast out.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I didn't know FF released anything after Medicine at Midnight, so I'm getting caught up now.

Dream Widow - Took a couple tracks to really get going for me, but The Sweet Abyss rocked my cock off, and I enjoyed everything thereafter. I added the whole drat thing to my workout mix. It's a fun metal album, even better than Probot. I can't believe I slept on it for two years.

But Here We Are - Totally missed when this one dropped. After reading this thread, I started with The Teacher, and I'm glad I did, because like Bridge Burning, it encapsulates much of the Foo's best stuff—high energy, catchy riffs, and some endearing weirdness. I was expecting a ballad, and was pleasantly surprised it wasn't. It didn't feel like 10 minutes at all. The rest of the album has a lot of the big sound that I really like about FF, even if that one track almost steals the show.

Gotta agree, BHWA is at least about as good as Wasting Light, my favourite FF album. I'm looking forward to this new direction the band goes in.

Poor Dave, losing Taylor and his Mom five months apart. :(

I tried listening to Medicine at Midnight again, and yeah, I haven't really changed my opinion. No Son of Mine got me in a great mood, though.

VVV Edit: I still think Concrete and Gold has some moments, despite being a departure from their usual stuff. I still have no idea what the hell Sonic Highways was supposed to be, and is thus my least liked album. VVV

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Medicine at Midnight is above arcade for me, it’s Concrete and Good that’s the recent album for me at the bottom of the list.

And since this got a bump, I picked up “The Glass” 7” single because it was $10 from a Discogs seller (and I was getting other stuff from). I didn’t care for the H.E.R. version, so that was kindof a lost bet. I need to track down that Record Store Day EP by Garbage next though, since that has a track featuring Dave on it. I figure that’s a better gamble.