Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
seconding the onlyfans, get that homegroan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Congratulations to Sky13lazer on becoming part of internet history.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

jeffrey owns btw

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Jeff sell nicely printed and bound copies of the mod forum archive, I'd buy that

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

I have no problem whatsoever contributing to a Patreon. The $10 to join I gave up literally 15 years ago has paid for itself countless fold at this point.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Patreon sounds like a decent idea.

Patreon takes, what, 5%? In december, 8% of gross got wiped out from fees. SA probably gets loving fleeced on CC transactions, because each individual transaction is so small, and I doubt the forum has a particularly advantageous fee structure. Might be worth exploring something like "you can redtext one person per month at Tier Krust and two people per month at Tier Fiestacat" simply to disperse the fees if Patreon's are lower.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I would like to congratulate Skyl3lazer for spending the most the first month - he will get to permaban lowtax! He spent enough to pay for an entire month of hosting costs, super cool.

Sorry Lowtax, bad Infest coming.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Jose Oquendo posted:

How difficult would it be to setup some sort of SA subscription for recurring revenue instead of going through Patreon since they'd take a cut. Offer something like something awful.com email addresses and other cheap nerd poo poo in exchange for a sub.

This.
I want erulisse@somethingawful.com

Jeoffrey pls pls pls pls

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

low key sex master posted:

I'm an Old School Poster (tm), but I gotta say I love how refreshing your transparency is Jeffrey. The drama with [INSERT OLD OWNER'S NAME HERE] is what brought me back to the site, but this sort of up-front stuff is what's keeping me coming back after like nearly a decade in the wilderness

thanks for being cool about this and giving me a place to shitpost that doesn't use my actual name

very much :same:

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Love this transparency, J.

el blanco suave
Oct 27, 2010

This would not be the stupidest thing I pay monthly for

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Lmao at how much lowtax lied about barely covering hosting costs and this place almost unable to stay afloat.

For the absolute transparency and good faith so far, I'd be willing to kick into a monthly patreon, something I'd NEVER have even considered before with Lowtax.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Jose Oquendo posted:

How difficult would it be to setup some sort of SA subscription for recurring revenue instead of going through Patreon since they'd take a cut. Offer something like something awful.com email addresses and other cheap nerd poo poo in exchange for a sub.
I've been looking into this and it's hard. I certainly don't like the idea of paying patreon a cut though, clearly, the credit card companies take their cut as well. Subscription code would have to function differently from existing code, because I don't want to store any payment information on our side, and we'd need a way to set and expire your subscription status without you personally making web requests to do it. It's something I want but, imo, it will be a long time before the gains actually outweigh the development and maintenance cost. Unlike the forums I am not attached to our current store software and am going to be evaluating alternatives.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Income:
October 22nd - October 31st, 2020:
Raw store revenue: $8,401.55
Processing fees: -$509.30
Hosting cost: -$1,127.33

November 2020:
Raw store revenue: $7,903.01
Processing fees: -$635.22
Hosting cost: -$1,126.40

December 2020:
Raw Store Revenue: $5,549.14
Processing fees: -$463.28
Hosting cost -$1,138.45

Not a single funny number in the bunch :sigh:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

:blastu: :fedora:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Why did fees go from 6% in Oct to 8% in Nov? Renegotiated contract?

I'm just lolling at the amount of profit this place makes. Obviously hiring someone will eat all of that up but still 4-6k a month to just sit there and do nothing while dnd sad brains redtext each other is just easy money.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Any plans to work alongside the developer of the AwfulApp to make it officially endorsed by SA (of it hasn't been already)?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

bloody ghost titty posted:

seconding the onlyfans, get that homegroan.

if we banded together we could absolutely take over OF, I'm just saying. Not goonzurg or anything, just, yeah.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

Who What Now posted:

Any plans to work alongside the developer of the AwfulApp to make it officially endorsed by SA (of it hasn't been already)?

The app is awesome and how I browse the forums almost exclusively. This is a good idea.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
More info from a single post than from 20 years of Lowtax lol

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Thanks for the update and the transparency. It's good to have some confidence in the future of this website while the rest of the internet has a meltdown.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Thanks for the post. I think a Patreon is a good idea

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I also think a Patreon is a good idea, and I'm on these forums enough to justify donating a few bucks each month.

gently caress Lowtax for lying so loving much, Jesus.

Krolm
Nov 10, 2004

friendly and non-threatening

Bleak Gremlin
I'd happily chip in a few bucks a month for a Patreon thing should you need any more convincing, and I appreciate the insight in how the business side of things is doing :) The Awful app is also a fantastic piece of software and I agree it should be a part of SA in some official capacity if possible.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride

Who What Now posted:

seconding this, the app is incredible and is almost single-handedly responsible for me becoming a regular user of the forums again

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Hosting fees are actually way lower than i'd imagined. That being said, I'd definitely support the forums monthly somewhere, be it Patreon or something internal.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'm on board for the Patreon, but I do like the idea of having a @somethingawful.com email address too.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I've been looking into this and it's hard. I certainly don't like the idea of paying patreon a cut though, clearly, the credit card companies take their cut as well. Subscription code would have to function differently from existing code, because I don't want to store any payment information on our side, and we'd need a way to set and expire your subscription status without you personally making web requests to do it. It's something I want but, imo, it will be a long time before the gains actually outweigh the development and maintenance cost. Unlike the forums I am not attached to our current store software and am going to be evaluating alternatives.

If you want to integrate fancy features into a recurring payment, fine, but for me, it's just a way to keep the lights on. I don't need anything more in return than this place's continued existence and ideally funding improvements that benefit everyone. I already have a Patreon, so that's the least friction for me personally.

Please do not start hosting peoples' email.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Jeff we absolutely don’t deserve an admin as good as you lol

BUT thank you so much for being transparent and open with us about how this all works. You’re a good dude, dude

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

adding a recurring income stream seems reasonable for figuring out the development plan, but is there an idea of how much per month we'd all want to fund operations in perpetuity with a cushion for risks? obviously the development would flow off of the poster's needs and what the internet in year+x is like, but is there a plan for $100k/month to discourage donations, etc?
Lol this is a good point and no I have not thought about what I'd do with 100k/month. Maybe I'll buy a GTR and blow it up with SA-branded hand grenades. There is certainly room for more developers if astral and me both end up working full time - I don't know what the actual limit of my ability to manage and dispense money on behalf of the site is, but getting to 100k is pretty hard to imagine. Even in like 2005, I don't think the forums made more than 60k/month.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

can't remember when geoffpos bought the forums but i'm guessing the oct/nov income includes a load of saved-up avatar purchases that people didn't want to commit to under the rule of the previous owner

so watching number go down shouldn't really be a concern. i would like to know how much of the forums profit has been reinvested in Gamestop stocks though; anything less than 100% is criminally negligent

CHODEGOD420
Oct 27, 2020

by Athanatos
ill pay another $10 for the video of ozma fingering herself. i lost the link

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Could open it up to cryptocurrencies as well, especially if people wanted anonymous donations through Monero or such.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Make a Patreon tier where for one day per year you have full mod powers, letting you rampage through the forums taking revenge on your posting enemies.

Also thx for keeping me from being internet homeless, Jeff.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Here's a question Jeffrey, and you may not know the answer yet. I assume that SA LLC is its own entity and has its own bank account, and I imagine you're going to let it build up some cash buffer, but... Do you ever plan to pay yourself income from SA LLC? I think it would be reasonable if you did, I mean you fronted the money to buy it after all and you are doing work to run the place. I appreciate the transparency and hope it continues and I think if you are going to pay a dev for their work (good idea) you would have every reason to pay yourself too.

A big problem with the previous ownership was, as others have said, bursting in here twice a year to say the forums are dying we need money, which I think most of us now know was never really true. His lying about this and lack of transparency is a big part of why people begrudged him of buying fancy cookies and stuff. But with the transparency you're giving, and running it like a non-profit, and putting the needs of SA first, I don't think it's inherently wrong to receive some income from the business you bought.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I'd be fine kicking $5-10 a month towards a patreon.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
Jeffrey thank you for keeping your word here. Being transparent means a lot.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Patreon sounds like a decent idea.

Patreon takes, what, 5%? In december, 8% of gross got wiped out from fees. SA probably gets loving fleeced on CC transactions, because each individual transaction is so small, and I doubt the forum has a particularly advantageous fee structure. Might be worth exploring something like "you can redtext one person per month at Tier Krust and two people per month at Tier Fiestacat" simply to disperse the fees if Patreon's are lower.

That's a good idea.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

really queer Christmas posted:

Probably has to do with the number of transactions vs the size of the average transaction. There's probably some combination of flat fee and percentile per transaction that the CC companies take.

I still don't have an update on the front page. There has been so much to do for the forums themselves that it's hard to even start thinking about the frontpage. I managed to get lowtax's name off of it, eventually.

As long as Lowtax's articles are down I really don't mind waiting for new content.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I would totally subscribe and pay like, 20 bucks a month to get two gift certs to change someone else’s avatar emailed to me because the forums store is clunky enough that it’s definitely stopped me from doing some redtexts because :effort:

Storing payment info/a PayPal button so I don’t have to hunt down my wallet to make store purchases would rule, but I’m not sure how much that would add to overhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

really queer Christmas posted:

I'm just lolling at the amount of profit this place makes. Obviously hiring someone will eat all of that up but still 4-6k a month to just sit there and do nothing while dnd sad brains redtext each other is just easy money.
It's variable and there is a fixed and percentage-based portion for each transaction. I believe in October, in that initial burst of purchases, we had a bunch of large lump sum donors, saving money on those fixed portions. In addition, the credit card companies charge varying amounts for various cards and generally, the fancier the card is, the higher a fee we pay. It's very opaque even for me - I get some manner of breakdown of names of various fees, but they aren't exactly illuminating. November and December have the normal flow of mostly $5 and $10 purchases and thus have a higher percentage going to fees.