Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

AHH F/UGH posted:

The forums seriously has needed a little icon that pops up in the corner whenever you’re quoted that will bring you to the quoted post. That will spur a lot of engagement, which means more active and retained users, which means traffic, which means more revenue for the servers and stuff. Why not done???

Wont this create some sort of internet addiction? where people post just for the vanity to see getting a lot of replies.

There are out there more important things than posting in a forum. We don't want people to be here all day instead of building a house with logs, fathering a children or running in a bike downhill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

Black August posted:

Preserve them as 'Legacy IDs' underneath the modern list of social media links

i’m not sharing my instagram account with you, buddy

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Tei posted:

There are out there more important things than posting in a forum.

Blasphemy

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Torrannor posted:

Read up to page 10, already voted 5, would also throw some buck on a patreon.

One thing I want to bring up, some of the user profile options are superfluous now. Who even uses ICQ anymore? Can you actually use yahoo or AOL instant messenger, I thought they had shut down? This is surely fairly low on the list of stuff to do, but a small overhaul of user profiles wouldn't hurt.

It's not a really high priority, but profile field updates are something that will happen.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Grump posted:

i’m not sharing my instagram account with you, buddy

instagram? is that one of those pot delivery services?

...do they have good sativas?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

istewart posted:

:drat:

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

AHH F/UGH posted:

The forums seriously has needed a little icon that pops up in the corner whenever you’re quoted that will bring you to the quoted post. That will spur a lot of engagement, which means more active and retained users, which means traffic, which means more revenue for the servers and stuff. Why not done???

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Skyl3lazer posted:

Yeah the ICQ field is used by a lot of 3rd party auth stuff

like what? Netscape Navigator plug-ins?

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

like what? Netscape Navigator plug-ins?

something awful secret santa and discord servers to name a few.

but also that’s not a good reason to not gently caress with the profile page imo. hopefully we can someday pay developers to create a SA API with auth tokens

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

istewart posted:

:colbert:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

AHH F/UGH posted:

Add this but turn it off by default

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Grump posted:

something awful secret santa and discord servers to name a few.

but also that’s not a good reason to not gently caress with the profile page imo. hopefully we can someday pay developers to create a SA API with auth tokens

For all the years I've done SASS I put the code into the occupation field.

But I also do have an ICQ number in my profile that I haven't used in over a decade :shrug:

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
for everybody saying "yes patreon", please be aware that there is currently a buzz of distrust and trouble brewing over some corporate intransigence and lack of transparent communication from patreon corporate level leadership. the official patreon discord for creators is rife with pitchfork and torch level grumbling and discussion over which ship to jump to.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

there's enough people here that a bespoke patreon competitor could work, tbqh

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
i like to entertain the idea that Jeffrey is some sort of demented puppeteer and the forums are like lamb chop doing windmills in the moshpit after the police have stated publicly "sort your own poo poo out nerds we have crimes to commit of our own"

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Potato Salad posted:

Nah, homegrown payment processing is a recipe for disaster, especially if the goal is recurring payments. Best bet is to diversify and have a donation page that links to basically every platform/processor you can sign up for. Make sure you also get one that can support bank transfers from Europe since they're usually super frictionless

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

RFC2324 posted:

ICQ is still the primary way goons communicate. Weren't you invited to the group chat?

uh oh!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

rear end-Haggis posted:

i like to entertain the idea that Jeffrey is some sort of demented puppeteer and the forums are like lamb chop doing windmills in the moshpit after the police have stated publicly "sort your own poo poo out nerds we have crimes to commit of our own"
wait, you're saying that isn't true?!

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

dee eight posted:

for everybody saying "yes patreon", please be aware that there is currently a buzz of distrust and trouble brewing over some corporate intransigence and lack of transparent communication from patreon corporate level leadership. the official patreon discord for creators is rife with pitchfork and torch level grumbling and discussion over which ship to jump to.

Are they going to actually do it or is it more whining until the illusion of acquiescing is given?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I would like to congratulate Skyl3lazer for spending the most the first month - he will get to permaban lowtax!

Ain't no time like today

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

John_A_Tallon posted:

Are they going to actually do it or is it more whining until the illusion of acquiescing is given?

who knows? it's really not something that fucks me over, but a lot of ppl that make a living at patreon are bent

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Goons need to set up our own payment system and call it Masturbatreon

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
GoonFundMe, surely

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

dee eight posted:

Google "Patreon California Lawsuit". TLDR: Patreon may well be hosed real soon.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Potato Salad posted:

He could use the payment model of a freemium game with an x month season pass as a donation alternative. Give those on it a free avatar change every month or some other small benefits. There's more useless cosmetics on games than a forum but it'd be a way to do a single payment to cover a number of months.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Rename this thread “State of the Goonion” tia

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Gynovore posted:

Google "Patreon California Lawsuit". TLDR: Patreon may well be hosed real soon.

I did that and everything is eight months old, on reddit, and boring garbage that doesn't seem perilous at all.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Goons need to set up our own payment system and call it Masturbatreon

we already ruled out an OnlyFans

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

if patreon falls apart then a de facto replacement will spring up pretty much instantly, in this economy it's obligatory

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Arrhythmia posted:

I did that and everything is eight months old, on reddit, and boring garbage that doesn't seem perilous at all.

yeah, every article i see about it is far-right sites claiming patreon has been epicly owned in court by some nazi who got his account banned

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

if patreon falls apart then a de facto replacement will spring up pretty much instantly, in this economy it's obligatory

Steady is one of them, I support some podcast on Steady because they apparently charge lower fees.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Rename this thread “State of the Goonion” tia

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Arrhythmia posted:

Try Googling it again but with more exclamation marks.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

AHH F/UGH posted:

The posting gloryhole should track emptyquotes

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Lets just put 10 bux into an envelope each month and mail to a Jeffreys po box. No transaction fee besides stamps !

(and I guess the cost of the po box)

(and envelopes)

(stop reading this lovely post)

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Can I send the 10 bux in stamps?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Fame Douglas posted:

Can I send the 10 bux in stamps?

Stamps are legal currency! They HAVE to accept them as legal tender, it's the LAW!!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Going to the bank and exchanging a 10 dollar bill into pennies to pay my forum dues.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Gonna mail 10x $1 Chocolate Coins to JOY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I'm gonna pay for my next avatar change with bacon, sent right to Jeffery's door.