Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Flair posted:

Any plans to open source the code or parts of it to have the OSS community to contribute?
This is legally murky as the code is still based on vbulletin 2. While large parts of it have been replaced, some of the code is very much still owned by jelsoft, and I cannot release that. I don't know to what extent they are litigious but I gotta cover our collective asses here. This isn't the only barrier but it's a big one. Working towards getting more of the forums code out is definitely in my long term vision for this place, but it's not going to happen tomorrow, or this year.

The javascript and css can and will be open at least. It's theoretically accessible now though I don't think we've put out any documentation for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Would definitely look at my own finances and make room for a Patreon. I don’t post much these days but read the forums every day.

Maybe 5/10/20 dollar increments with rewards such as a certain number of avatar changes, username changes, or rewarding platinum etc?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I am considering starting a patreon for this reason - recurring donations are difficult to implement in the store software we have, and it would be nice for planning purposes to be fairly certain we're gonna get at least $X/month. Please let me know what you think of this - my impression from the emails I've received is that a number of people are willing to contribute each month, and they currently don't have a way to do that.

Patreon does seem like the lowest friction way for us to contribute installments to keep the forums healthy.

The old patreon was crap because the money vanished and in return you were given secret access to a dead discord server - if there were even token rewards like a gold star on your profile or something, 1 free av change a month? I dunno.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Sirotan posted:

One of the things I remember being really worried about the last time Lowtax was complaining about all his medical issues was what the business continuity plan for the forums was, should Lowtax become too disabled to continue managing things, or if he died. Is there anything like that in place now?
No but it's on my todo list. I don't honestly have a great answer. If I die, well, it's not acceptable for the forums to go to my disinterested heirs. I wish I had more to tell you but I know this is an issue and I'm not ignoring it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Cyrano4747 posted:

poo poo it’s weird for the mod and admin team too. Having an active owner who cares about this place and works daily with the mod team to make it better is huge.

Thanks for all of this Jeff. Buying the forums, just all of it.

This financial report is fascinating too. So much for all that QQ about how the forums were going to shut down because we weren’t buying enough red texts to pay for hosting.

On the other hand, they made me a QCS mod.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

No but it's on my todo list. I don't honestly have a great answer. If I die, well, it's not acceptable for the forums to go to my disinterested heirs. I wish I had more to tell you but I know this is an issue and I'm not ignoring it.

Divide it amongst the admins and let them squabble over the remnants of your kingdom ala Alexander the Great

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I have not done this - the plan right now is to work with them enough to not break them too bad, but treat the forums software itself as the highest priority instead of splitting dev resources between the app and the site. Improving the site helps everyone. I think there are ways in which we can move the site such that the app can seamlessly benefit and I think they are worth pursuing.

So I'll stop short of an official endorsement in that sense but....I use the android app. It's cool.

A clear and concise answer that shows youve actually thought about the question? Unprecedented!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Seriously though that's a fantastic OP Jeff, thank you for the transparency. Assuming my income remains stable I would be willing to contribute to the upkeep of my favorite place on the internet.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Who gives a poo poo about the front page. Joke articles are dead. Comedic internet content today is naturally generated user quips in discussion or short video clips, memes, or tweets. The existence of the front page in its past form is archaic.

Putting all the energy and focus on the forums in the short term is the right thing to do.

Edit: poo poo just make the forums the whole website. Pay or take volunteer contributors to make effort threads, videos, photoshop challenges whatever.

I think the best use of the front page would be to condense it into an approved feed of forums content, with plenty of forum links. Which is something that should come AFTER the forums themselves are cleaned up and improved- it should be the last thing done. I think that way the front page could serve as an advertisement for the forums. Include a small timeline about it being 20 years strong and better than ever. Show off things SA is famous/responsible for. Advertise it as an anti to social media.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

I'd be happy to sub $5-10 a month to a patreon. I visit these forums literally every day and while I rarely post, I get a lot of enjoyment out from reading what goons have to say.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

That's cool, just glad it's on your radar. Wondering now how you'd feel about having some kind of publicly visible project tracking tool going ala Trello so goons would be aware of the status of dev work, to-do's (like business continuity planning), and other improvements without having to ask you or search back through threads? Or maybe that is coming soon in the new tech subforum.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Smugworth posted:

Has anyone else pointed out how expensive the hosting costs seem to be for the 20 or so of us still posting here?
:thunk:

it's my fault. i've been seeding anime torrents off the server

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Nth-ing support for a way to pay monthly and subscribe to something I use every day. I feel that my enjoyment here is greater than or equal to the ~$15/mo I pay for individual streaming services, premium subs to other platforms, etc.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Storing payment info is a :can: in that there are all sorts of Very Serious Security Requirements to taking credit card payments, and some of them are easily sidestepped by not storing any sort of payment information. This is not just me being paranoid, but would also represent new costs as there is separation required from the rest of the servers. Maybe making browser autocomplete work with our form would be a good step? Then you could save payment info in your browser and use it on the site more easily, without adding the burden of securely storing payment info to our backend.

As far as the autocomplete forms go, I know chrome and firefox both have 'secure'(i haven't checked how secure) storage for CC info, if the fields are correctly labeled.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Jeff, if you made a subscription for $1-3/month I'd gladly pay it.

e: also thank you for being transparent and for being determined to work hard for this weird and dumb community

How are u fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 27, 2021

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Smugworth posted:

Has anyone else pointed out how expensive the hosting costs seem to be for the 20 or so of us still posting here?
:thunk:

I actually thought that seemed low :shrug:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Black August posted:

I think the best use of the front page would be to condense it into an approved feed of forums content, with plenty of forum links. Which is something that should come AFTER the forums themselves are cleaned up and improved- it should be the last thing done. I think that way the front page could serve as an advertisement for the forums. Include a small timeline about it being 20 years strong and better than ever. Show off things SA is famous/responsible for. Advertise it as an anti to social media.

The best front page articles were literally articles about the forums, either summarizing funny threads, or retelling stories that came out(the flaming beehive), or the final results of a photoshop thread.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I also think some sort of subscription feature would be nice, I'd pay that. Though I wonder how it will affect the size of the community after a switch to that. Maybe have free accounts somehow as a carry on of the current system? I dunno. Glad to see things moving apace.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
fwiw I'd be happy to kick some kopeks to the cause on Patreon or alternative. These forums provide a ton of value and host some awesome communities. I would keep the same $10 to start off, I think the paywall does help keep this place better. Just add it on top of the existing infrastructure.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Thanks Jeffrey, your efforts and work are greatly appreciated.

Will there be an official Permaban thread when that goes down? Like with fireworks and maybe a potluck?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RFC2324 posted:

The best front page articles were literally articles about the forums, either summarizing funny threads, or retelling stories that came out(the flaming beehive), or the final results of a photoshop thread.

Weekend web was also great though I don’t know if that’s something that’s compatible with how the internet is these days.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Thanks for making sure that in 2021, when TV channels have been replaced by AI engines that auto-play dance videos tuned to everybody's specific preferences, I can still shitpost in BYOB.

I didn't realize how much it was going to help my stress levels. I would totally patreonize SA.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
If the previous owner had been this transparent about the sites income, no one would have given him $$ during one of his begging sprees.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

I have a few questions JeffreyofYOSPOS:

• What do you mean by development costs? Do you hire other developers to develop the site?
  • Is the site gaining or losing in popularity?
  • Do you live off the site?
I'm hiring astral as a site coder and, if he ends up working full time and there's still more money, I'm open to more.

I will see to it that this place grows. I don't know what the right metric to determine growing or shrinking is, and I know that the last six months have seen some crazy poo poo and aren't representative of any sort of trend. I imagine some people are gone for good after yikesaroo, and I imagine some older posters came back upon hearing the news, so we'll just have to see how things shake out. There is room to grow this place and funny people who hate social media but don't know this place exists are out there just waiting to be recruited.

I haven't taken any money if that's what you're asking. I posted about it above in that I am willing to eventually pay myself for development work, but as of yet I have not. I don't treat forums money as my money and I never will. Ironically, if you said "on" instead of "off", I'm guilty - I don't really go to other websites and "live" on this one. :)

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Clearly you should just have it in your will to go to a random user. I can't wait to see what Mas3rb8r6969's leadership will bring.

More serious answer: if you don't have any heirs, maybe making it permanently act as an election thing could be interesting, if somehow legally possible. I don't know if a real democratic website has ever been done before (with a non-trivial userbase).

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I'd back a Patreon that was actually used to fund forum improvements.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
Would definitely Patreon - I've already given this site hours of my precious eyeball time so why not add money as well.

I get that Patreon has dumb fees etc but it is definitely the quickest way to get monthly income up and running without the hassle involved with a global audience handing over financial data directly to you. Especially considering just how much some people would salivate at the idea of trying to pop this site open and steal all our precious throw away email accounts and pre-paid mastercard data.

Out of interest - which method of payment charges you the least fees? Just so I know if choosing a specific one if I red text can make a difference?

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

How are u posted:

Jeff, if you made a subscription for $1-3/month I'd gladly pay it.

e: also thank you for being transparent and for being determined to work hard for this weird and dumb community

Yeah same. Heck I can even do 5$.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Divide it amongst the admins and let them squabble over the remnants of your kingdom ala Alexander the Great

I'm down for a GoT-style war over inheritance of the forums. House MusclesShine FTW.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Transparency? In the finances of my dead comedy forum?

E: clearly for the forums contingency plan there should be plans to turn this site full communist and place it under the ownership of the posters. Be the vanguard C-SPAM wants to be, steal their thunder.

corgski fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 27, 2021

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

This is legally murky as the code is still based on vbulletin 2. While large parts of it have been replaced, some of the code is very much still owned by jelsoft, and I cannot release that. I don't know to what extent they are litigious but I gotta cover our collective asses here. This isn't the only barrier but it's a big one. Working towards getting more of the forums code out is definitely in my long term vision for this place, but it's not going to happen tomorrow, or this year.

The javascript and css can and will be open at least. It's theoretically accessible now though I don't think we've put out any documentation for it.

Jelsoft appears to be property of million-pound-gorilla KKR Private Equity by way of having been rolled into the successor company of https://www.carsdirect.com

so, no, do not cross them.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Thank you for being transparent and honest! Something Awful means a lot to me in a way I would never publicly express in a dead comedy forum and I think you're doing a good job considering the hand you've been dealt.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MegaZeroX posted:

Clearly you should just have it in your will to go to a random user. I can't wait to see what Mas3rb8r6969's leadership will bring.

More serious answer: if you don't have any heirs, maybe making it permanently act as an election thing could be interesting, if somehow legally possible. I don't know if a real democratic website has ever been done before (with a non-trivial userbase).

You could do that or you could go the Ready Player One route with a trial by quest to determine the next leader.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Still say the frontpage should remain, if for no other reason than as a landing pad for newbies more accessible at a glance than an impenetrable spreadsheet of sub-forums. Maybe not in its old incarnation as a sorta Cracked-esque comedy article repository (though there were some drat good contributions that really highlighted the local style and tone, like Zack Parsons' old stuff especially), but maybe as a slightly more reddit-like showcase of popular threads or curated funny bits?

All of this is lower priority to forum upgrades, of course. The front page is the inviting storefront, but you need a good product to shill.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

PurpleXVI posted:

Yes same here

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

thanks for being a cool transparent owner, jeffrey

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Start a Patreon, I’d throw a little in. I pay £10 a month for Spotify and I care far more for the posts of goons than all of the music I could ever want.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

PurpleXVI posted:

Hear hear.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
You're not going to see a single dollar or a good post from me, Jeffrey, but otherwise you have my full support. Love the numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avicus
Aug 31, 2007
Gentleman Bastard
Grimey Drawer
How does a paypal subscription option compare against patreon? I haven't seen it mentioned here.

I'd be cool either way; place deserves my money.