Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

shadow puppet of a posted:

It’s time to shed the front page. Make the forum index the front page. It’s been dead for months and nobody outside of sa has cared or noticed. The domain will never trend anywhere with high thanks to grandfathered algorithms from the “poison womb” days of edgelorde trash content.

Let it die. Don’t waste money on it. Make it available as a zip file for anyone that must see hulk hogan defeat the twin towers once more and yuck it up at fart smelling deviants, but like lowtax it’s time for his beloved front page to be shelved and slowly forgotten.

The front page brought me here. I don't care about SEO rankings or ad algorithms. If you publish good poo poo and your interface is at least ok, people will come. People less familiar with forums are going to get a lot of help from some links to good threads and articles from good posters.

That said it badly needs a redesign. Should move everything extant to old.somethingawful.com and make the front page just goldmined articles with the occasional piece of creative writing. Sometimes the forums go on the offensive (redditbomb) and it would be really nice to have a place friendly to public participation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

Some front page listicles that are just reformatted megathread OP's would go million miles. I check SA before making major purchases.

Picking a guitar
Car buying
Salary negotiation (goons have invented a complete nomenclature and game theory about these. See BATNA)
Lifting weights

Goons are good at coming up with simple, strong strategies with broad applications. That's a lot of value to offer the world. Review sites are G A R B A G E. The much-maligned goon hivemind is worth 100x what it's competition is.

Uncle Enzo fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 30, 2021

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

Oh hell yeah chief buddy! Let’s attract a ton of redditors here! Great thinking!

I am referring to the "redditbomb" media packet created by a set of GBS users in 2012 that highlighted the pervasive sexualization of minors on reddit. Goons spammed it to every media outlet in the western world. That easily-digestible set of links got r/jailbait onto Anderson Cooper and led to reddit's subsequent policy changes that got that poo poo banned from their site. The "redditbomb" changed the world (a little) dude.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

Slippery posted:

I do think SA needs its own independent image hosting ability. In house ability to control ones own destiny (not to mention preserving the images) is key to survival.

Agreed, this is a necessity. We lost a ton of poo poo when Waffleimages went down and it's going to be loving apocalyptic when imgur goes dark, which it will, sooner or later. We need to stop losing photoshop phriday content every time the image host de jour goes under.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe if we didn’t ha e a front page the kids that Aatrek raped and the forum mods (and admins) who covered up for wouldn’t would have been stopped

Would you prevent putting his rapist cock back in his pants by keeping up the front page?

What the gently caress are you talking about lol

But yeah, incoherent rantings aside I think a front page could be really cool and useful after a total redesign and cleanup. I'm not married to the existing content although I wouldn't like to see it scrubbed completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

AdmiralViscen posted:

Where’s the salary one?

Negotiation Thread: never say a number. jfc