Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Income:
October 22nd - October 31st, 2020:
Raw store revenue: $8,401.55
Processing fees: -$509.30
Hosting cost: -$1,127.33

November 2020:
Raw store revenue: $7,903.01
Processing fees: -$635.22
Hosting cost: -$1,126.40

December 2020:
Raw Store Revenue: $5,549.14
Processing fees: -$463.28
Hosting cost -$1,138.45

Not a single funny number in the bunch :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Here's a question Jeffrey, and you may not know the answer yet. I assume that SA LLC is its own entity and has its own bank account, and I imagine you're going to let it build up some cash buffer, but... Do you ever plan to pay yourself income from SA LLC? I think it would be reasonable if you did, I mean you fronted the money to buy it after all and you are doing work to run the place. I appreciate the transparency and hope it continues and I think if you are going to pay a dev for their work (good idea) you would have every reason to pay yourself too.

A big problem with the previous ownership was, as others have said, bursting in here twice a year to say the forums are dying we need money, which I think most of us now know was never really true. His lying about this and lack of transparency is a big part of why people begrudged him of buying fancy cookies and stuff. But with the transparency you're giving, and running it like a non-profit, and putting the needs of SA first, I don't think it's inherently wrong to receive some income from the business you bought.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I think it's pretty clear from this thread that a ton of people would pony up for a patreon out of love if the website, i don't think you need to tie it to any reward. A lot of us feel that we get a lot of value out of this website and could afford to help support it but don't particularly feel like we need to buy a new av every month. Some other posters can't afford it and deserve to keep getting the most of their original :10bux:. But I'm not an e biz mastermind so who knows.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I would certainly love to see better image hosting than imgur. We always joke about what classic threads would look like if imgur went under but it truly would be a tragedy. If we do end up with our own image hosting, might also be good to use a script to automatically transfer imgur files over and update the links.

Image hosting might be a tall order though, it's a lot of files especially with the kids these days and their 15 megapixel cameras and their 3 minute gifs

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

Its interesting skipping from a thread where someone is railing about how excessive computer usage is a massive drain on the planets limited resources to a thread where someone is talking about redundantly leeching and storing every meme posted here as extremely important cultural artifacts.

Might wanna keep in mind that we are already being archived by the Library of Congress, so its unlikely that imgur dying will cause everything to go poof to the ages.

I think the LoC thing turned out to just be certain select things from the front page, they are not actively archiving the entire forums.