Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
^ I've seen the imgur emerald thing personally, so it's not a joke image - they're clearly doing AB testing and slowly turning up the heat on the boiling pot

We should edit the post-adding script to scan for any imgur links and automatically curl them for a backup, and once that's in place run a db query to grab all existing linked images and churn through backing them up. Once there's an archive of images, it'll be easy to transfer them to the new server and (optionally) modify the existing links in the post db.

For comedy points, we could buy the old waffle domain if it's cheap

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Fiddler on the Reef posted:

You should amortize the cost of the site over time and pay yourself back some of the purchase price. IMO.

Unless you killing it irl and have money to spare. I guess. But even then.

This is a legit idea, I think you'd have the support of the huge majority of the users since you're putting in actual work

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

If we're talking redesign, there needs to be an About Us page with this as its only content

https://youtu.be/NdUHDDj7fhk

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

there's enough people here that a bespoke patreon competitor could work, tbqh

Nah, homegrown payment processing is a recipe for disaster, especially if the goal is recurring payments. Best bet is to diversify and have a donation page that links to basically every platform/processor you can sign up for. Make sure you also get one that can support bank transfers from Europe since they're usually super frictionless