Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Thanks for the post. I think a Patreon is a good idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Black August posted:

I think the best use of the front page would be to condense it into an approved feed of forums content, with plenty of forum links. Which is something that should come AFTER the forums themselves are cleaned up and improved- it should be the last thing done. I think that way the front page could serve as an advertisement for the forums. Include a small timeline about it being 20 years strong and better than ever. Show off things SA is famous/responsible for. Advertise it as an anti to social media.

Agreed

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I feel like if the Patreon rewards are free access to poo poo that you already have to pay for, it might wind up being revenue neutral or worse

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I think the temporary view-only access to the forums was a good idea. That’s why I signed up after many years of only reading the front page (Elentor’s FF7 LP).

I think free signup is a very bad idea. Maybe you could register an account for free, but it would only give you view-only access to the forums. And maybe there could be a specific forum for free accounts, with a high post cool down limit so it isn’t that popular? I dunno

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Sing Along posted:

Further along these lines, an asset that SA has which isn't immediately apparent is its 75 domain authority according to Moz's DA rankings. This means that there are almost certainly people who would be willing to create content for the front page in exchange for an embedded backlink to their websites. All links posed on SA are tagged as nofollow by default, which means that they don't count from an SEO perspective, but that could be changed for these front page posts specifically and it would absolutely attract people if they were aware that it was a possibility.

I have no idea about Jeff's thoughts here but if the forums are managed to the standard that it appears that they're being and we start to see healthy growth and more people being added to payrolls of various kinds, running this more like a co-op intended to create a sustainable and unique cultural space and invest in the production of culture is something that I believe would be appealing to pretty much everybody posting here.

Agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Uncle Enzo posted:

Some front page listicles that are just reformatted megathread OP's would go million miles. I check SA before making major purchases.

Picking a guitar
Car buying
Salary negotiation (goons have invented a complete nomenclature and game theory about these. See BATNA)
Lifting weights

Goons are good at coming up with simple, strong strategies with broad applications. That's a lot of value to offer the world. Review sites are G A R B A G E. The much-maligned goon hivemind is worth 100x what it's competition is.

Where’s the salary one?