Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I was doing a patreon for the forums 'before' quite happy to reinstate it. (Wasn't much but I get a lot out of this forum.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I can't afford much but would do a patreon - I don't need a reward, this is one of my favourite places on the internet with the 'curated' news from the particular threads I haunt. I'm a skint oldie :corsair: so was paying $2.99 - not sure how much of that was going to Lowtax / tax / patreon. (My av changes and platinum privs were donated by anonymous persons.)

Advantage of patreon is if you are doing several, it just comes off in one monthly hit instead of having yet another outgoings pot to think about.

Front page? I think I went on it twice. I found this whole site by googling a particular incident in British politics and landing in one of the threads so definitely agree it should be low priority.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

bewilderment posted:

I know it's heresy to many but there's cool people I know that I wanna introduce to the site but the $10 imposition is still a pretty large barrier when this isn't the happening 2002 site this was. Forum standards have also improved overall but I dunno if it has the same 'keep out the riff raff' appeal it once has. We make fun of reddit but the concept of "your post should be intelligible to other humans" has spread there and there's not as big a difference as there once was.

While keeping regular $10 payments to register and to unban yourself, I wonder if it might make sense to have regular periods of limited, free registrations. That drums up interest while keeping the influx of potential assholes low enough to boot out if need be.

You could introduce them and let them lurk for a while without registering to see if they like it and figure it might be worth $10 to them and maybe some sort of 'my mate wants to register but can't afford $10 can someone sponsor them' type deal.
I lurked for several weeks before deciding it was a good place to hangout. Also prompted by the sudden inability to see a great thread I was following.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jan 28, 2021