Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Hosting fees are actually way lower than i'd imagined. That being said, I'd definitely support the forums monthly somewhere, be it Patreon or something internal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

ColdPie posted:

If you want to integrate fancy features into a recurring payment, fine, but for me, it's just a way to keep the lights on. I don't need anything more in return than this place's continued existence and ideally funding improvements that benefit everyone. I already have a Patreon, so that's the least friction for me personally.

Please do not start hosting peoples' email.

I agree with this, all I want really is the site to stay online and maybe some common sense improvements. I think most would agree that we don't need wholesale change, or an entirely new forums 3.0 experience or anything. Maybe ensuring the Awful app can continue to exist would be good too. Outside of that I don't think contributors need to have a say in improvements or features added, or any return on their donation outside of the lights staying on.

And the email is another thing that strikes me as unnecessary. You don't want that technical burden, plus you then have people with those addresses who look like they are part of the site administration to the outside.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Smugworth posted:

Has anyone else pointed out how expensive the hosting costs seem to be for the 20 or so of us still posting here?
:thunk:

I actually thought that seemed low :shrug: