Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Jumped from page 1 to 9 but would also be down for a patreon, happy to contribute some sheckles per month. Again I mean -- but apparently the prior patreon was going to Nissan Skyline payments or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

punk rebel ecks posted:

I've always wondered why did Lowtax give up the site? Like what was in it for him if he didn't give it up? Even if the site stopped making money completely I'd imagine he'd rather shut it down than let it continue with someone else on the helm.

I'm a naive idiot but I got an impression Lowtax considers the forums as something important to preserve even if he was exploiting them. I don't think it all started out as a huge scam even if it ended that way, I want to doubt nuking them really was on the table for rich -- but, Jeffrey had those negotiations so who knows what was thrown around. I'm guessing it was just some number to walk away and rich may have been relieved to do it. ALL just guesses.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

ChubbyChecker posted:

perhaps the patreon folks should give their extra money to some charities instead

This isn't really the same equivalence, it's more like a subscription to support a service that I enjoy, two different categories of spending. Plus without knowing the numbers I think Jeffrey deserves some recompense whatever cash he outlaid to basically save this place -- someone mentioned resetera and if you know what happened with neogaf this place was on a similar trajectory, preventing that type of implosion was pretty clutch

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

bewilderment posted:

I know it's heresy to many but there's cool people I know that I wanna introduce to the site but the $10 imposition is still a pretty large barrier when this isn't the happening 2002 site this was. Forum standards have also improved overall but I dunno if it has the same 'keep out the riff raff' appeal it once has. We make fun of reddit but the concept of "your post should be intelligible to other humans" has spread there and there's not as big a difference as there once was.

While keeping regular $10 payments to register and to unban yourself, I wonder if it might make sense to have regular periods of limited, free registrations. That drums up interest while keeping the influx of potential assholes low enough to boot out if need be.

Free reg is an invite to bots and nonsense. a pay gate may be anathema by modern standards but holy poo poo does it stop a flood of otherwise un-stoppable bull poo poo. Look at how much this place already gets -- at least if you want to insult or troll or randomly toxify things, you need to pony up a bit.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Do we still have access to that strip mall head quarters in the middle of Wisconsin or where ever? Because i was planning my retirement around that couch

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

BubbaGrace posted:

I will suck genitals for dark mode.

Firefox > Dark Reader

(im sure other browsers have an equivalent-- uh just be warned that spoiler warnings won't work because inverted colors)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Lets just put 10 bux into an envelope each month and mail to a Jeffreys po box. No transaction fee besides stamps !

(and I guess the cost of the po box)

(and envelopes)

(stop reading this lovely post)