Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I've spent too much money on this drat game racing simulator. I get the 40+ piece club discount if that helps explain how deep I'm in. But, I love it, it's my hobby and since we can't go outside for fear of pandemic death, I get to spend a lot of time enjoying cursing at random people for crashing into me in turn one.

So I read Schorsch's writeup on the GT3 cars, and if I want to dip my toes into those I should probably go for an easier driving/handling one to start right? I don't have any experience driving anything on a road course faster than the Skippy, and I primarily stick to the Mazda because they are so much fun to drive. So the BMW M4 GT3 is where I should start right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
I am bad at iracing and got out of rookies in about a week

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you want to see why some people struggled to get out of rookies, watch the iRacing clip compilations that go on Youtube and count all the times people see a guy losing control of their car, or going for an extremely stupid move ahead of them and don't react at all then act shocked when they get collected in the inevitable wreck.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

V for Vegans posted:

Yeah, all those videos about “how to get out of rookies fast” seem like they miss the point of sim racing.

This is true, but look out for the Surviving Rookies series which is all about situational awareness and wreck anticipation/avoidance. The videos use ovals for their examples but the principles apply to road courses too.

https://youtu.be/uqsKm8irA7U

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rookies is “gently caress around and find out: the game”

Schorsch
Nov 23, 2010

Douchebag posted:

I've spent too much money on this drat game racing simulator. I get the 40+ piece club discount if that helps explain how deep I'm in. But, I love it, it's my hobby and since we can't go outside for fear of pandemic death, I get to spend a lot of time enjoying cursing at random people for crashing into me in turn one.

So I read Schorsch's writeup on the GT3 cars, and if I want to dip my toes into those I should probably go for an easier driving/handling one to start right? I don't have any experience driving anything on a road course faster than the Skippy, and I primarily stick to the Mazda because they are so much fun to drive. So the BMW M4 GT3 is where I should start right?

Yes, although if you can handle the skippy on cold tires, you're ready for the 488 or the lambo as well.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

When you get out of Rookies, don't race for SR or IR. At all. Race to enjoy the racing and to learn. If you're focused on grinding out SR or IR then it's going to be less fun in the end.

2 weeks ago I was a B class (oval) 3.9 SR with a 1790 IR. I was frequently in upper splits (mostly oval racing), and I was learning a tremendous amount from the people faster than me. I didn't grind that 1790 IR, it just happened over time. I was also racing in splits way above my skill level but I used it to learn and practice getting faster.

Right now I'm still a B 3.9, but my IR tanked because I decided to run some of those SimLabs mixed class races at Homestead on the oval where it uses your road credentials to get put in a split but affects your oval stats. Now I'm sitting on a 1498 IR, and I'm bottom split almost every race. It's fine with me, I'm not doing it to grind my IR out, if I deserve to be in higher splits it will happen over time.

Watch the replay of every wreck you're involved in, learn why and how it happened. Sometimes you're literally in the wrong place and had nowhere to go, that happens. Most of the time you will find a situation where you could have approached that turn differently in traffic or that if you let the guy go who was on your bumper you will live to see another lap. You might think the other guy drove down or into you, when you actually drifted up the track slightly. I watch every wreck to see what I could have done differently.

Point is, do this for fun, don't grind out ratings or you will burn out. If your goal is a certain license class so you can race specific cars and events, then hell yeah go for it but don't get discouraged when you have a bad week because you're going to have bad weeks.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Rookies is about slowing things down in your head by developing consistency, pattern recognition, and the ability to stay calm under pressure. As the cars get faster, all three speed up and so take more mental energy.

Random things to focus on in rookies:

- Race pace. A 1:40’ that wrecks out on lap 3 is slower than a 1:42’ that finishes. Hot laps in practice are cool and good, but also spend time doing laps at a pace you know you can run for the duration.

- Staying calm. A common cause of screw ups in lower tiers is trying to go faster when someone’s right on your rear bumper. Then you miss your brake point, or turn in, next thing you know you’re in the wall, or collecting dandelions. Just drive your race.

- Pattern recognition. Developing a sense of when to attack, when to defend, and how hard to do each. You only get this through experience, so get to it!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

V for Vegans posted:

Booted up the game for the first time last night. Spent a good amount of time adjusting my visual settings and then did a bunch of laps around Oran park in the Mazda since that was the track I saw associated with the rookie race and I wanted to practice with the car/ track combo and oh my goodness. I kept doing laps until I’d crash, be like ok I’m done for the night, and then watch the replay of my last few laps and decide a few more laps wouldn’t hurt. This process repeated several times and now I’m worried about my free time and money. The Mazda was wicked fun to drive, and hopefully my first races aren’t full of too much carnage and angry drivers.

iRacing 2021: Now I'm worried about my free time and money

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Roller Coast Guard posted:

This is true, but look out for the Surviving Rookies series which is all about situational awareness and wreck anticipation/avoidance. The videos use ovals for their examples but the principles apply to road courses too.

https://youtu.be/uqsKm8irA7U

I’d advise even the hardest of hard-core road guys to at least get their D oval license. You can get an entire season of wreck-avoidance practice in a single race. Two if you’re top split.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

waffle enthusiast posted:

Rookies is about slowing things down in your head by developing consistency, pattern recognition, and the ability to stay calm under pressure. As the cars get faster, all three speed up and so take more mental energy.

Random things to focus on in rookies:

- Race pace. A 1:40’ that wrecks out on lap 3 is slower than a 1:42’ that finishes. Hot laps in practice are cool and good, but also spend time doing laps at a pace you know you can run for the duration.

- Staying calm. A common cause of screw ups in lower tiers is trying to go faster when someone’s right on your rear bumper. Then you miss your brake point, or turn in, next thing you know you’re in the wall, or collecting dandelions. Just drive your race.

- Pattern recognition. Developing a sense of when to attack, when to defend, and how hard to do each. You only get this through experience, so get to it!

Great tips. Especially staying calm. I can't even begin to count the number of times I've passed people by just driving behind them for a lap until they crack from the pressure. We've all screwed up while driving in the mirror at some point as well, especially when starting out.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As someone who was vehemently against oval courses and was hugely pro-road, please try ovals. It’s great fun and that bumper to bumper tight racing that you only get once in a while on road courses can be stretched over an entire oval race

Please race ovals

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

As someone who was vehemently against oval courses and was hugely pro-road, please try ovals. It’s great fun and that bumper to bumper tight racing that you only get once in a while on road courses can be stretched over an entire oval race

Please race ovals

Oval racing in iRacing made me watch and appreciate some irl NASCAR. Don't get much exposure to it in Scotland so was always kind of on the "sounds boring it's just turning left" school of thought, but there's a lot more to it than that when you get into it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah it’s as complex as road racing I’d argue, just in a way different way.

Iracing has also given me respect for nascar whereas I was previously “turn left lol”

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
No sir I will not eat green eggs and ham, I do not like ovals. because I'm bad at them

Dirt is good fun though

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Re: GT3 cars. I am pretty drat bad, but with a not awful setup, I can keep the 488 or Lambo on the track pointing the right way. The engine is in the right place, too.

Highly recommend the Lambo with the Trading Paints twitter-featured Lamb Bro paint. Not biased on this paint being the best available at all.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Zaphod42 posted:

Dirt is good fun though
Dirt road and dirt oval are silly amounts of fun. The rookie dirt trucks go off twice an hour, which is great for getting plenty of racing in a limited time.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Schorsch posted:

Yes, although if you can handle the skippy on cold tires, you're ready for the 488 or the lambo as well.

I did a race today in the Skippy at the Roval, best lap time was 1:36 which was about 5 seconds slower than the aliens at the front. but I finished, 1 lap down. I let a guy who was clearly faster go by me because I could tell he was an idiot and 1 lap later he wrecked the car infront of him, then drove back onto the track and wrecked me. I can handle the Skip pretty well, even though I'm not setting world record lap times.

Maybe I will grab the M4 GT3 and give it a shot.

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug

Douchebag posted:

Maybe I will grab the M4 GT3 and give it a shot.

As a reminder we are running Sunday league sessions with the GT3s through Season 1, so that’s a great place to get some practice in. Also, Mazda Fridays that start about 1:45 from the time of this post.

e: and join the Discord for “helpful” ping reminders about 30 minutes before sessions launch.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Also reminder for any new people who want to race today that you need to join the league before the session starts or you won't be able to access the race, ping me in Discord if you need applications approved etc.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
P.S. if you don't put a forum/discord name on your league app it doesn't get accepted so if any of you are one of the three pending apps who did this: that's why.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
League race stream:

https://twitch.tv/teambearpope

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

So I got the BMW, Lambo and the 488. All 3 are fun. I think I like the BMW the best so far. Going to try and join Sunday so until then I’m going to try and focus on stringing together some consistent laps at Laguna, meaning stay out the drat dirt idiot.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The race earlier had some fun battles between me and Fuzz, recommend checking last lap of race 1 and first lap of race 2 for... happenings:

https://twitch.tv/videos/893290220

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The BMW has on board fuel consumption readouts and, I can't stress this enough, a icon on the hud that says FLASH when you use your lights like an rear end in a top hat.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also we need a real conversation about flashing. IRL at Nurbugring they have they fingers depressed on the button like the entire race and its seen as fine. But if I flash a car to let him know I'm gonna dive bomb him from 300 yards back I'M the rear end in a top hat????

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Just did my first race. Made it all the way to Fosters Dip on Oran Park before I got spun in a 50/50 incident, and then smashed into by another driver who didn’t even slow down first, and spent the rest of the race watching people fly away from me down the main straight while I was severely down on power. Honestly the best intro to iRacing I could imagine.

Is it true that safety rating is calculated per turns so it’s worth driving out the full cool down lap just to farm extra safety, or am I just wasting my time?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

V for Vegans posted:

Just did my first race. Made it all the way to Fosters Dip on Oran Park before I got spun in a 50/50 incident, and then smashed into by another driver who didn’t even slow down first, and spent the rest of the race watching people fly away from me down the main straight while I was severely down on power. Honestly the best intro to iRacing I could imagine.

Is it true that safety rating is calculated per turns so it’s worth driving out the full cool down lap just to farm extra safety, or am I just wasting my time?

It's calculated by incidents divided by turns but it stops counting turns/incidents after the last person finishes the race.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

VelociBacon posted:

It's calculated by incidents divided by turns but it stops counting turns/incidents after the last person finishes the race.

This also means that if you want to do some really stupid bullshit, you can do it after the last finisher without worrying about pesky repercussions. Go for the jump at Mt. Panorama, give your buddy in the race a 170mph fist bump, etc

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

First podium tonight in any road series. Mazda’s at Oran. Started 3rd finished P2. I’m feeling more confident with these type of cars with my new wheel and pedals for sure. My best finish ever was 5th High was last night, Mazda’s at Daytona in the SimLab race. I was car #30 in a pretty stacked field. Qualified 14th, finished 5th. Half of those positions were overtakes the other half died in turn 1.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Watching the LMP2s heading into T1 side by side with the GTLMs then backing off to give up the corner IRL and chuckling to myself.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I hope we all had a good laugh about the three-car GTD incident before green. It was a very iRacing start

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That GT3 that let the P2 by and then thumped into it at the apex was :discourse:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I've reactivated my account after a long time away. Is there a recommended 'first gt3' car? One that offers pliant handling, reasonable lap times and decent series chioce/participation?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

I've reactivated my account after a long time away. Is there a recommended 'first gt3' car? One that offers pliant handling, reasonable lap times and decent series chioce/participation?

I believe the consensus is that the BMW M4 GT3 - Prototype is the best mix of easy and fast, it's used in VRS sprint (B) and IMSA Sportscar (B). It's the new hotness since it's new this season.

However the Ferrari 488 is easy, reasonably fast and has it's own Ferrari Sprint series (D) and VRS sprint (B). So maybe better, particular if you are low license, though because of that Ferrari sprint is a wreckfest.

Unless you are top level the speed difference between GT3s is basically not noticable anyway.

If you can make it, come join us for the Sunday sessions (in the OP / discord) and get a practice race for next weeks VRS track in.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Be a rebel! Join team Huracán instead!

E: be warned, it is a wild beast that without a good setup prefers to drive backwards round the track, but when properly beat into submission, it is very fun.

carticket fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 31, 2021

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Fellblade posted:

I believe the consensus is that the BMW M4 GT3 - Prototype is the best mix of easy and fast, it's used in VRS sprint (B) and IMSA Sportscar (B). It's the new hotness since it's new this season.

However the Ferrari 488 is easy, reasonably fast and has it's own Ferrari Sprint series (D) and VRS sprint (B). So maybe better, particular if you are low license, though because of that Ferrari sprint is a wreckfest.

I would go with the BMW for a couple reasons: the fixed Ferrari series is Bad and will teach you bad things if you're a newish driver, but more importantly there's guaranteed to be at least one Bearpope team running the BMW in any given special enduro, and that's not the case for the Ferrari.

(If the current BoP holds and no other big changes are made between now and then I could see us having a Ferrari team for the Spa 24, but that's probably it. And we'd almost certainly still have a BMW team for it too)

Theris fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 31, 2021

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In VR, I am having trouble adjusting the view inside the cockpit, some of the closed cockpit cars, the view while in VR is undrivable, but out of VR it's just fine. I know about the CTRL + F12 command to adjust the camera, but that doesn't seem to do any good. I need help on what to do here.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You need to bind the button to reset the hmd, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Yeah, you are not able to adjust the camera in VR, as it is based on your headset and position/orientation. There is, hidden way down in controls, a re-center HMD button, which you will want on your steering wheel. It can be a button that is awkward to press. It's usually a one-and-done when you get into a car.

E: there might be some sort of seat adjustment, but if you find you are up too high or down too low, you can trick it with where you put your head when you hit recenter.