Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Theris posted:

I would go with the BMW for a couple reasons: the fixed Ferrari series is Bad and will teach you bad things if you're a newish driver, but more importantly there's guaranteed to be at least one Bearpope team running the BMW in any given special enduro, and that's not the case for the Ferrari.

(If the current BoP holds and no other big changes are made between now and then I could see us having a Ferrari team for the Spa 24, but that's probably it. And we'd almost certainly still have a BMW team for it too)

what are the bad lessons for ferrari fixed? just the required level of aggression because the races are so short?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

you push the tires hard because they don’t have time to falloff or overheat too much.

i don’t think that tire management is the hard part of enduros though versus reading the track/weather/time of day when you jump in the car.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
League race will be gridding soon, stream is up here:

https://twitch.tv/teambearpope

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

drat I was bad tonight, sorry bout that. Still getting a handle on this class of car. Glad I didn't take anyone out though.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Douchebag posted:

drat I was bad tonight, sorry bout that. Still getting a handle on this class of car. Glad I didn't take anyone out though.

Get mumble!

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Get mumble!

Better than the in game I take it? I usually don’t race with voice on because it’s hell on your ears. I’m gonna try and join the Mazda sessions while I try and get better at the faster cars so if that’s the voice chat option sure I’ll grab it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Douchebag posted:

Better than the in game I take it? I usually don’t race with voice on because it’s hell on your ears. I’m gonna try and join the Mazda sessions while I try and get better at the faster cars so if that’s the voice chat option sure I’ll grab it.

It's just what we use for goon league races.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It’s more for in the moment vocal shitposting during league races, and laughing at the last massive wreck you saw.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

bsamu posted:

what are the bad lessons for ferrari fixed? just the required level of aggression because the races are so short?

Pretty much. It's just not a great place to learn racecraft since everyone is hyper aggressive and there's not enough time for a recovery drive if you make a mistake. (And recovery drives are an excellent opportunity to learn how to pass.) My standing advice to people fresh out of rookie MX-5 is to either move to Skips or just stay in rookies until you're D4.0 and can do Advanced MX-5 or GT4 in IMPC.

That said, for someone who did put in their time moving up the ladder through Skips and Advanced MX-5/GT4/F3/IP2000 asking what GT3 to get, then sure grab the 488 and knock yourself out doing the occasional Fixed Ferrari race if you want. You should still probably get the BMW instead if you want to Bearpope it up.

Theris fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 1, 2021

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
My "I shouldn't buy any more content until I know I'm going to stick around for more than a single month renewal" resolve lasted about half a day. I now have the BMW GT3...

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
One of us, one of us.

Just need to join us on discord and get in the Sunday race and you will complete the ritual.

We had 23 cars on grid last night!

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Pablo Bluth posted:

My "I shouldn't buy any more content until I know I'm going to stick around for more than a single month renewal" resolve lasted about half a day. I now have the BMW GT3...

Now you can buy the Lambo and have fun with a car that is not your friend!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I just checked and realised nearly all of my race starts were 2011. I'm going to have to do quite a lot of practice time before it's safe for me to appear in public.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

carticket posted:

Now you can buy the Lambo and have fun with a car that is not your friend!

The Lambo is real, and strong, and is very much my friend.

Except at Imola. But, I don't think any car would be my friend there.

vvv: The SRF hates you more than the BMW GT3 hates front tires.

Theris fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Feb 1, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you want a car that is not only not your friend but that actively hates you, the Spec Racer Ford is free.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

njsykora posted:

If you want a car that is not only not your friend but that actively hates you, the Spec Racer Ford is free.

It will teach you all about lift-off oversteer.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The spec racer Ford was sent back in time to kill you, terminator style, and unlike the terminator, it’s super effective.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
idk for some reason I find that car specifically very easy to drive and is the only road series I ever win on, maybe that's just because I go slow and dont spin

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I have a history of poor car buying decisions....

C6R - even at my iRacing best, I don't think I ever got to the point where I could string more than a single lap together.
Skippy - one race
Lotus 49 - never raced, although I think I only ever planned on hot-lapping that one.
V8 Falcon - never raced

The Mustang and the Radical are the only cars I bough then raced a significant number of times, and the Radical is now free! The Radical is probably the only one I don't regret; if I do end up sticking around, I'll probably split my time between the BMW and that, depending on the tracks on a given week.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
The skippy is absolutely not a poor buying decision.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Fellblade posted:

The skippy is absolutely not a poor buying decision.

:hmmyes:

I wish there was more skippy racing. Oval skippys. Dirt skippys. Dirt oval skippys.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

It is if I never drive it!

edit: make future Bear Pope races BMW-Skippy Multiclass.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

It is if I never drive it!

The poor decision is never driving it!

We just ran two seasons of skips on fridays in a row.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MrYenko posted:

:hmmyes:

I wish there was more skippy racing. Oval skippys. Dirt skippys. Dirt oval skippys.

Well we've got Formula Skippy now

Anybody race the iR yet?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Buddy, I bought the original DP and never raced it, and now it's legacy and I've still never raced it, and I will never race it.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

edit: make future Bear Pope races BMWstreet stock-Skippy Multiclass.

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug

Now we’re thinking with Lemons.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

njsykora posted:

The Spec Racer Ford is a sadistic dominatrix. An evil sadistic midget dominatrix with four legs of uneven length, and she is very adept at making you stumble and fall so she can stomp on your neck and pee in your mouth. Driving this car is literally like struggling for breath through a mouthful of midget piss.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sebastian Flyte posted:

The Spec Racer Ford is a sadistic dominatrix. An evil sadistic midget dominatrix with four legs of uneven length, and she is very adept at making you stumble and fall so she can stomp on your neck and pee in your mouth. Driving this car is literally like struggling for breath through a mouthful of midget piss.

Also if you run any auto blip or auto clutch and don't lift a lot between shifts the engine explodes halfway through the race.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Iracing 2021: like struggling for breath through a mouthful of midget piss.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

M4 GT3 Question - I've realised there's ABS, TC and Fuel maps that can be changed. However the dash also shows 'ALS 1' but I can't figure out that that's meant to be. What is it?

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 1, 2021

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Still not over that multi class oval race we did in gooncar. Late Model, Street Stock and uhhh legends(?) Maybe? Anyway it was at Thompson Speedway and a blast.

Years ago, from memory.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

M4 GT3 Question - I've realised there's ABS, TC and Fuel maps that can be changed. However the dash also shows 'ALS 1' but I can't figure out that that's meant to be. What is it?

Wild guess, but anti lag system? A lot of cars in iracing have settings that appear on the dash that can't be changed in sim. The lambo has three: EPS (presumably the amount of assist from the electric power steering), APS (no idea, maybe another power steering setting?) and S12 (don't even have a guess for that).

The IR18 is another example. In real life all four rotaries on the face of the wheel are some kind of engine setting, but in iracing you just get fuel and throttle maps. I don't think what the other two do is public info, and might vary by engine manufacturer or even team.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I found the car user manuals they've started to produce this morning and having read the Lambo one, figured that was the case.

Should I just leave ABS & TC at the default values, turn them up or turn them down?

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

There's no one right setting for them, you'll need to adjust them based on the setup, track conditions, and how the handling is changing over the course of a fuel stint or tire stint. (which can be multiple fuel stints during an enduro) You'll just have to play around with them to get a feel for the effect they have on the car.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Factors to consider: higher TC values increase fuel consumption, may reduce speed off corners a little (they're not as accurate at holding traction as your right foot, depending on the calibration of said foot); higher ABS values give better braking efficiency, but the deeper you lean on the ABS the more wear imparted onto the tyres, so if you can't reliably brake right on the threshold reducing the ABS a little will give you more of a window to operate in without overworking the tyres, but you have to be more careful to avoid small lockups.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Not crashing is a bigger concern that fuel or tyre wear!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Does the BMW GT3 really have antilag? None of these cars sound like they do to be honest.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

now that they killed the merc the only allowable car for goons should be the 488 because of the wastegate chatter/turbo flutter whatever it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Would someone competent mind sharing a telemetry lap for the M4 GT3 at Outlon Park (International, next week's VRS venue)? I recall I managed to rapidly fix a few of my worst habits fairly quickly when I first got in to iRacing. It doesn't need to be world record time; based on the records for other GT3 cars, I reckon my optimum is about 8 seconds off a top time.