Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Yep, if you downshift too quickly without slowing down, the engine will overrev and blow up. Happens to the best of us a few times before it’s ingrained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Most cars don’t have a handbrake in iracing, mx5 included

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nybble posted:

Yep, if you downshift too quickly without slowing down, the engine will overrev and blow up. Happens to the best of us a few times before it’s ingrained.

I'll just add that this is only for the non-paddleshift cars I think, or at least 90% of paddleshift cars have downshift protection that prevents you from wrecking the engine. I don't have an h-pattern shifter in the rig (have one in real life!) but I think you can actually always use H pattern shifters even for paddleshift cars (I think?) so I guess you could shift a GTP car into 1st on a straight and end your race. I could be wrong on that but I swear it asks if I have an h-pattern shifter AND DO I WANT TO USE IT?? when I set up cars.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

phosdex posted:

Yeah I'm racing MX-5s at Lime Rock. Did 2 more races, finished 4th entirely due to everybody else crashing out around me. That got me my D class license. My next race I thought a guy on my left bumped me after the last chicane, but looking at the replay I bumped him. Anyway that spun us both and my car had some light damage, just drove it out and finished basically last.

My handbrake doesn't seem to work. It's mapped, but pulling it doesn't do anything. Trying to figure out how to launch. Funny that this game doesn't "hold" you until green light. Found that out in my first AI race.

I forgot to check replay, but I think a guy blew his engine. We exited a corner and this puff of smoke came out of his car and he just instantly slowed down.

The game will hold brake for you if you're stopped. I usually clutch in, shift to first, floor it and then try to modulate clutch to keep revs high until the car is moving and then fully drop it. If you have clutch paddles you can do bite point mode where you pull both in and releasing one will get you a set amount of clutch each time, basically makes for a cheater launch every single time.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

I'll just add that this is only for the non-paddleshift cars I think, or at least 90% of paddleshift cars have downshift protection that prevents you from wrecking the engine. I don't have an h-pattern shifter in the rig (have one in real life!) but I think you can actually always use H pattern shifters even for paddleshift cars (I think?) so I guess you could shift a GTP car into 1st on a straight and end your race. I could be wrong on that but I swear it asks if I have an h-pattern shifter AND DO I WANT TO USE IT?? when I set up cars.

It does ask that but it only uses the H-pattern for H-pattern cars. You still have to define a sequential shifter first. If you have both, when you get in a sequential car it flashes a message across the screen saying "This car uses the sequential shifter".

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

necrotic posted:

Most cars don’t have a handbrake in iracing, mx5 included
Worth noting touring cars do, but its only used during standing starts.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

The rallycross cars and jumpy trucks have them I believe.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Does the end of season promotion happen tomorrow or next week? I'll get promoted to C license. Been trying to get 4 SR for the auto promotion but lol, got to 3.98 once.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It happens at the end of W13, since there are still official series during W13 you can use to bump your SR a bit if needed.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
After week 13.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Ok, I haven't bought anything yet, waiting for the new season and then I guess I'll pick a series and buy a car and the tracks. Been driving the Formula Vee this week.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

is there a way i can see all the tracks the series runs on?

im class d and Arca for example only runs on Talladega which i own and i love that series so how do i do it on other tracks?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
The tracks a series runs on changes each week, for a 12 week season (though as of today it’s week 13 which is the weird exception where most series go away and silly stuff goes up).

Once week 1 starts next Tuesday, you can click on the series in the UI to see the schedule or use irbg.net (as soon as it’s updated for the new season).

You can sometimes go on the forums and find the series schedule for next season in advance, though it’s not always final.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Fellblade posted:

The tracks a series runs on changes each week, for a 12 week season (though as of today it’s week 13 which is the weird exception where most series go away and silly stuff goes up).

Once week 1 starts next Tuesday, you can click on the series in the UI to see the schedule or use irbg.net (as soon as it’s updated for the new season).

You can sometimes go on the forums and find the series schedule for next season in advance, though it’s not always final.

Weeks start Midnight GMT Tuesday so if you’re US it starts on Monday not Tuesday. As an east coaster I can do the first race of a week at 8PM (or 7PM gently caress you DST)

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
There is also this site https://www.irbg.net/ where you can click on series or cars, or whatever and figure out what is happening with them for the current season. Unfortunately you do have to wait for the new season to come out for it to be updated, at least I'm pretty sure that's how it works. So say you had the ARCA car, the Late Model and the Super Late Model and wanted to see all the tracks they were running and only buy the ones where they all overlapped. You could figure it out easily through the filters in this site.

This is how that overlap would work from last season based on if you only had the free tracks. Basically the "Tracks you own" in this filter are the free ones and everything else is a paid track.
https://www.irbg.net/Home/Duplicate/4419,4417,4431,4432,

So by that filter North Wilkesboro and Kern County are the tracks that you could purchase where all three types of cars raced last season. So you could re-run this filter again next week and see the overlap for a few different series for Season 1 2024. But if all you care about is ARCA then this link https://boxthislap.org/app/uploads/2023/12/2024S1.pdf looks like the 2024 S1 schedule, ARCA page 7.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Used that Test Drive site to drive the FIA F4 and Dallara F3 a bit. Think I'll buy one of those and the tracks. Then keep racing the miata and try to get out of rookie rallycross in the beetle.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

what's the etiquette with reporting someone? I just had a street stock race at Charlotte, qualified 3rd and worked my way up to 2nd, the leader just weaved/blocked the entire rest of the race so I couldn't pass. Like blatant, non-stop, not-up-for-interpretation illegal blocking for 3 laps. Is reporting useful/generally a good thing to do or is it frowned upon and that's what I get for being in rookie/D class series

Brackit
Jan 23, 2019
Protest them and let Nim sort them out. That's what you're paying a subscription for.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Report that poo poo. Especially in rookies.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

will do, ty everyone

sucked bc so close to my first win!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Kvlt! posted:

what's the etiquette with reporting someone? I just had a street stock race at Charlotte, qualified 3rd and worked my way up to 2nd, the leader just weaved/blocked the entire rest of the race so I couldn't pass. Like blatant, non-stop, not-up-for-interpretation illegal blocking for 3 laps. Is reporting useful/generally a good thing to do or is it frowned upon and that's what I get for being in rookie/D class series

Set your client to always record your sessions, clip the incidents in the replay viewer and file a protest attaching the replay clip(s).

You'll usually get an email in a couple of days saying either "we've informed the other party of the outcome" i.e. action was taken or that they didn't agree with your protest.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

With how long it takes to load a clip, and how many protests must get filed each day, I’ve long assumed that iRacing is the second largest buyer of nvidia chips, just behind OpenAI.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
With the recent improvements to load time I think nim's workload is massively decreased

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Got to imagine they have some cloud-based system that will preload review clips so by the time you open the ticket the replay is loaded and ready for review

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
It's just 6 KVMs in a trench coat

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

If the leader was blocking me like that for 3 or more laps and I was capable of getting a run off the corner to attempt a clean pass, and they continued to block, I wouldn’t lift at some point if I had a nose under them clean. I’d punt them.

I’d also make sure to file a protest with the clips of the blocking and my attempts at a clean pass resulting in them wrecking.

I’ve done it twice. In a D class race with a D license driver that pulled this and an A open Cup race with a pro driver.

This poo poo isn’t exclusive to rookies or low series, there are idiots at every level.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Post / “Bottas smiling at a crash” profile pic combo is sublime

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

got my first ever win!

Street Stock at Charlotte, qualified 2nd. First 3 cars and I were in a tight clean exciting battle for 13 laps, couldnt figure out how to pass while I was in 3rd place but noticed car 2 was getting pretty loose, eased off the throttle a bit more than usual going into turn one and sure enough he turned the leader, they wrecked, and I led the last 7 laps with my heart beating out of my chest.

Felt fantastic, what a rush!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Douchebag posted:

If the leader was blocking me like that for 3 or more laps and I was capable of getting a run off the corner to attempt a clean pass, and they continued to block, I wouldn’t lift at some point if I had a nose under them clean. I’d punt them.

I’d also make sure to file a protest with the clips of the blocking and my attempts at a clean pass resulting in them wrecking.

I’ve done it twice. In a D class race with a D license driver that pulled this and an A open Cup race with a pro driver.

This poo poo isn’t exclusive to rookies or low series, there are idiots at every level.

All ranked races seem to be pain this week. People doing dumb poo poo all over the place.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Theophany posted:

All ranked races seem to be pain this week. People doing dumb poo poo all over the place.

Week 13 LOL. There’s not enough ranked stuff to do this week.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
damnit i forgot to renew during the sale. is the time around black friday the only time where existing accounts get a discount for resubs?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Sunk Dunk posted:

damnit i forgot to renew during the sale. is the time around black friday the only time where existing accounts get a discount for resubs?

Yeah pretty much.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Douchebag posted:

Week 13 LOL. There’s not enough ranked stuff to do this week.

All 3 of us in the Dallara Dash have been having fun.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Dallara Dash is ranked?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Don’t think so. There are a couple unranked series that run even outside of w13, such as Dallara Dash and Carburetor Cup

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Sunk Dunk posted:

They sometimes email you at random with a discount equivalent to the black friday sale if your account is inactive. But it seems pretty sporadic.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Tried a few different series this season:
GR86 Cup - love this, got a podium at Laguna Seca, was quick at Okayama and was quick again in the PCC at Summit Point. I got unavoidably punted in one race and made a mistake into the corkscrew in another, keeping me around the 1.3k iR level but this is one I can lean on to try to reach a consistent 1.5k

Ferrari Challenge - only did one race, at Road Atlanta which I know really well in the GT3 and did alright, was hoping for more but I can't take to the new Ferrari, I feel like I'm always pushing wide on exit compared to the 488 EVO. Had the only wreck where I was at fault all season, guy broke surprisingly early going into the final chicane, I went up the inside and spun him when he turned. It wasn't egregious but it was my fault. I gave the place back on the next lap and he got on the radio to call me a saint.

Formula Ford - ended up racing this at Laguna Seca as nothing else appealed, I'm good in the Vee but a danger in the F4 so didn't know what to expect, thankfully this is much more Vee than F4 and I did quite well save for one spin, due to inexperience. Took it to Road Atlanta later on and came 4th and 6th with decent pace but no incidents, felt fantastic throughout, definitely coming back to this.

GT3 - this is where I lost all the iRating I gained elsewhere, Road America was a disaster, I would have been slow in bottom split and I got so many off tracks pushing too hard I'm down to a low B licence from an A. Interlagos wasn't much better either. I don't know if GT3 races are harder than Ferrari ones of the same SoF? I've been off the pace before but never this bad. I've changed my practice off the back of this, I started using lots of AI racing, doing longer races in big, tight fields with the aggression and optimism cranked up. It's made me so much more comfortable and aware around other cars, I get wrecked way less and only had one incident this season which was my fault. I wasn't doing enough work on pushing the limits when the track is clear, though, so I've shortened my races a bit and added some extra solo practice.

Porsche Cup - bought this in a lean week out of curiosity, quite enjoyed the experience, I think I could run this every now and then, my second race was much better than my first but chasing someone down on the last lap, I spun in a horrendous place, over the crest after the esses at Road America, fully side on and it took me ages to be able to safely rejoin

13th Week Mazda Cup - on the iRacing subreddit the universal opinion seems to be that you have to be insane to race ranked in week 13 but I've always found it fine. I can't explain what happened in my first week 13 race at Okayama. Felt good in practice both against the AI and humans. Messed up my first qualifying lap, put in a really shonky second lap which was somehow good enough for P2. Come the race, the polesitter messed up their start completely, someone else tried to go round my outside at T1 and spun, putting a bit of breathing room between me and the pack and... I just walked away with it. Won a 6 lap race by 7 seconds, my first road win of 2023.
I returned for my last race of the season and had a regulation P4, no incidents, gapped the pack easily and the guys in front didn't make any mistakes. The Advanced MX5 series is at Okayama next week so I'm tempted to enter and see how much harder it is at the same SoF. In any case, that's a 1.5k iRating for me to finish the season and I couldn't be happier with it.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
GT3 races are the most competative series on iRacing pretty much, most of the tryhards flock to it.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Just seen the Indy oval and road schedules for this season and I am absolutely stoked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Theophany posted:

Just seen the Indy oval and road schedules for this season and I am absolutely stoked.

Hopefully the participation is better this season, I adore Indy Open