Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Wamdoodle posted:

If anyone doesn't know this yet, Ted Cruz is an opportunist and is trying to fish for votes. Don't believe anything out of his lying mouth.

AOC already Ethered him.

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1354848253729234944?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

You mean the tech industry is just one big incestuous circlejerk? Say it ain't so!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mordja posted:

You mean the tech industry is just one big incestuous circlejerk? Say it ain't so!

"Pull the one star reviews on the app, or all Citadel subsidiaries stop advertising with you and go to Amazon," :toughguy:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Lol I saw that

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

“If you killed Ted Cruz on the floor of the Senate, and the trial was in the Senate, nobody would convict you,”
- Lindsay Graham

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Wamdoodle posted:

Lol I saw that

Lol, just like voting again for Nancy Pelosi AOC will be a good little Dem and not do anything but talk.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mister Facetious posted:

“If you killed Ted Cruz on the floor of the Senate, and the trial was in the Senate, nobody would convict you,”
- Lindsay Graham

BexGu posted:

Lol, just like voting again for Nancy Pelosi AOC will be a good little Dem and not do anything but talk.

lol right? they're friggin useless

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Here's something I've been trying to understand, as a regular idiot.

I get the principle behind "I think stock A is going to go in the toilet soon, I wish I had some to sell" so you borrow it from someone else, sell it today, and have an IOU to give it back to them theoretically by buying a share later at the toilet price, pocketing the difference.

What I don't get is, if seemingly the entire financial industry was so absolutely certain that GameStop was in a death sprial and all these hedge funds are up to their eyeballs in bets that it will keep going down, who or what is the entity that is "lending" them the stock to short sell? Why wouldn't the people with the stock just sell it themselves to be rid of if it's so obvious that it's only going down?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The bit you're missing is that short sellers pay daily interest based on the price of the stock.

In a case like Gamestop, the people lending to short sellers may agree that the stock will go down, but their assessment is that it won't happen as fast as the short seller hopes. Even if the stock goes down, if the short seller winds up paying them interest that is greater than the difference between what the stock was lent out and and what it was returned at, they win.

Also, it's not that the entire industry was certain that Gamestop was in a death spiral. It's more that it was a fairly safe assumption that Gamestop would continue to decline, so one or more hedge funds made a sizable bet on it. Hedge fund managers are still human, they still engage in herd behavior, so lots of others did the same thing, and they collectively wound up shorting more stock than they could easily buy back, through a combination of laziness and greed. As they approached and passed the limit, the bet went from very safe to very greedy to an outright guaranteed loss if enough money noticed and was willing to take the opposing position.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I love the David and Goliath / Robin-Hood story here but I worry about how many dumb redditors are getting caught up in that story and buying into things they don't understand.

As much as a few hedges are going to lose on this, a lot of redditors are going to lose money to other redditors too. This has become a meme stock and that's dangerous. Its obviously a bubble and this is real wild speculation going on.

Its basically a Reddit ponzi scheme at this point.

One thing that's quickly obvious from looking at Twitter or Reddit the last few days is how little most people know about the stock market. I'm no MBA type and am ignorant about a lot of complex finances but even I'm shaking my head at lots of the misinformation going around.

E:

Yep here's exactly what I'm talking about

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/01/the-gamestop-bubble-is-going-to-hurt-a-lot-of-ordinary-investors/

The "apes stick together" memes are covering up the fact that a bunch of redditors are robbing other redditors.

quote:

There's just one problem: the billions of dollars in new "wealth" people have supposedly gained is mostly in the form of inflated GameStop stock. Before they can actually use that wealth, they need to convert it to cash. And if a lot of people start selling their shares, the stock will crash. Most of that GameStop "wealth" will evaporate, with many shareholders getting a fraction of the value they expected.

Meanwhile, if GameStop's stock price starts to fall, short sellers will start to make money. Any short sellers who maintained their short positions through the bubble will make back most of what they lost.

Sooner or later, GameStop's stock is going to return to normal levels. And when it does, we are likely to find that little wealth was actually transferred from wealthy hedge fund investors to the general public. Short losses as the stock appreciated will be largely balanced out by short gains as the stock falls. The gains of GameStop shareholders as the stock appreciates will be balanced by losses as the stock declines.

But while there won't be a big transfer between short sellers as a group to shareholders as a group, there will be big wealth transfers within these groups. People who bought GameStop early and who had the good sense to sell near the top of the bubble will make a lot of money. People who buy into GameStop near the top and don't sell until after the stock starts to fall will lose money.

In other words, the GameStop bubble will have the same practical effect as any other pump-and-dump scheme: transferring wealth from those who got into the scheme late to those who got into it early. The fact that there are short-sellers on the other side of some of these trades doesn't change the analysis.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 29, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Waltzing Along posted:

One thing I am a bit confused about is why the stock got so high. I mean, doesn't someone have to buy it for the price to go up? Who is doing the buying when it is already super high?

Maybe I am missing part of the process but I've always understood it as something like:

stock = $1.00. Someone buys it and it goes up a fraction. Repeat. And the price drops when people start selling.

Why is gamestop so high? For it to hit $300, someone had to actually buy the stock at $250, right? That's incredibly stupid.

I have to be misunderstanding something.

It got high because its a meme stonk and lots of people who have never invested before are buying in.

They are going to lose their shirts.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ariong posted:

All of that hinges on the notion that investing in Gamestop shares is a foolish meme investment. It’s not. There are also serious investment people in suits and ties who are invested in Gamestop, and who recommended that the people who follow them make the same investment.

Not buying in at $329 they're not.

They may have been long on GME back at $30 sure.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Zaphod42 posted:

I love the David and Goliath / Robin-Hood story here but I worry about how many dumb redditors are getting caught up in that story and buying into things they don't understand.

As much as a few hedges are going to lose on this, a lot of redditors are going to lose money to other redditors too. This has become a meme stock and that's dangerous. Its obviously a bubble and this is real wild speculation going on.

Its basically a Reddit ponzi scheme at this point.

One thing that's quickly obvious from looking at Twitter or Reddit the last few days is how little most people know about the stock market. I'm no MBA type and am ignorant about a lot of complex finances but even I'm shaking my head at lots of the misinformation going around.

E:

Yep here's exactly what I'm talking about

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/01/the-gamestop-bubble-is-going-to-hurt-a-lot-of-ordinary-investors/

The "apes stick together" memes are covering up the fact that a bunch of redditors are robbing other redditors.

Yeah like loving BlackStone had over 13% of the stock issued by GameStop as of 12/31. That's publicly available info.

A lot of small retail traders are going to eat losses on this.

https://twitter.com/aaronhuertas/status/1355153781063905281

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

K8.0 posted:

They are financially tied to a company that has shorted GME to a dangerous extent. They're using the convenient excuse in the hopes that they avoid their just deserts.

I don't doubt that, but for every person who says "I knew the risks!" there's 100 people who just heard "free money" and then blow money they can't afford to lose on this.

Zaphod42 posted:

Exactly.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

K8.0 posted:

Also, it's not that the entire industry was certain that Gamestop was in a death spiral. It's more that it was a fairly safe assumption that Gamestop would continue to decline, so one or more hedge funds made a sizable bet on it. Hedge fund managers are still human, they still engage in herd behavior, so lots of others did the same thing, and they collectively wound up shorting more stock than they could easily buy back, through a combination of laziness and greed. As they approached and passed the limit, the bet went from very safe to very greedy to an outright guaranteed loss if enough money noticed and was willing to take the opposing position.
I've heard that Melvin had been so successful, and also so selective about who they let buy in, that there was a small industry of Melvin clones who blindly copied every position Melvin took. Now they're getting melvined.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

CottonWolf posted:

You mean Wall Street?

pst it's because only testosterone (also shitloads of stimulants) makes people insane enough to engage with what's basically fancy economic gambling as a career

Marzzle fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 29, 2021

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

and the benefits admin industry is majority ladies and a significantly less bullshit. testosterone makes people dumb as hell RE risk

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

:biotruths:

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

You get people high on testosterone and speed/coke they take bigger risks it's not some conspiracy we've exploited it for ages.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/ogooogramses/status/1355230742981324801?s=19

The more I read the more convinced I am this is all a pump and dump scheme

Apparently HALF of all robinhood accounts own some GME

Meme stocks bad

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
How much of this bubble is redditors day-trading and how much is just other firms/hedge funds taking advantage?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Cobalt-60 posted:

How much of this bubble is redditors day-trading and how much is just other firms/hedge funds taking advantage?

According to Matt Levine's good but inarguably pro-Wall Street column it's mainly the latter: https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-01-29/reddit-traders-on-robinhood-are-on-both-sides-of-gamestop

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Today I was reminded of an all time classic, proving once again that dril is a sheer Nostradamus

https://twitter.com/dril/status/381474795310702592?s=21

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bust Rodd posted:

Today I was reminded of an all time classic, proving once again that dril is a sheer Nostradamus

https://twitter.com/dril/status/381474795310702592?s=21

https://twitter.com/dril/status/626866098751860736?s=20

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Welp, judgement day is here. The sky is falling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B74cnt0-8xY

https://www.pcgamer.com/after-gamestops-share-price-plummets-reddits-wallstreetbets-investors-are-hurting/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/02/02/gamestop-stock-plunge-losers/

quote:

"I just want my money back but I know it is gone," wrote an investor from the Wallstreet Bets Discord named Slik, a 52-year-old Nevada resident. On Friday, Slik had invested $1.1 million in options on GameStop stock and lost $850,000. "I just didn't spend enough time to research what I was doing, or what the market could do to my account so quickly."

"My income is low, and this stonk sinking this low after buying it so high is a big hit," another Discord user named Housecat said. They only bought two shares priced at $316, but say that was $632 they really needed. "I’m hurtin [right now]. Not nearly as bad as others, but it’s not great. Luckily I’m in the military and I’m not married, so my expenses are low, don’t have many bills. But I will have to cut back on how often I eat out, or when I buy groceries. It’ll be a lot of playing video games and going to the gym to prevent spending any money for now. Just have to recover from the losses."

It's a sentiment shared by thousands on the Discord and subreddit, where users are frequently lamenting their losses while others spam "Hold the line" into chat like a war cry. On Twitter, a user named Shane explained they had initially bought shares when GME was listed at around $390. After buying more at lower prices, now owning just seven shares, they were facing the reality that their investment of $1550 might be burnt. "After this experience day trading, the second I can pull out for some profit I’m likely never going to day trade and do this stuff again because it was highly stressful and not worth it by any means," they said.

Some of these are probably fake, but not all of them.

quote:

"I know you are going to hate to hear this, but the lower it goes, the more powerful WSB can be stepping up to buy the stock again," he said.

heh

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 2, 2021

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Still holding, it was never about the money. At this point I and I think most investors just wanna make it as painful as possible for the hedge funds to exit. Just knowing I was part of Elon Musk losing 8b is enough to make it all worth it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

S w a y z e posted:

Still holding, it was never about the money. At this point I and I think most investors just wanna make it as painful as possible for the hedge funds to exit. Just knowing I was part of Elon Musk losing 8b is enough to make it all worth it.
Were you? I thought Musk was cheering this on.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

S w a y z e posted:

I assure you that for the hedge firms, it was always about the money. So if you don't hit them in the money, you aren't causing any pain.

It is about the money, and its about rich people manipulating poor people. Exactly the opposite of the narrative being sold to poor people. Most of the rich guys are profiting off this.
One small firm nobody has heard of wrote off a loss, but it didn't come anywhere near killing them. They moved on already. Everybody else is going to end up more rich, not less.

How were you part of Musk losing money? Tesla stock is insanely over-valued, everybody knows this. GME has nothing to do with it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

So were these guys not in it to be the Joker burning the money to prove a point? I thought the whole affair was meant to be an economic suicide bombing

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

multijoe posted:

So were these guys not in it to be the Joker burning the money to prove a point? I thought the whole affair was meant to be an economic suicide bombing

A few people have said that, but there's obviously a whole lot of people on /r/WSB who got caught up in the hype.

And if the stock price crashes then they get neither. The shorts will be able to cover themselves just fine now at this price, no big losses, AND anybody who bought in late loses whatever they put in.

The idea that it's ever going back to $400 is pretty ridiculous, much less the "to the moon!" claims that people were posting while it was at $400.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

multijoe posted:

Some absolutely were, a lot of them even. But many were also hoping to make some cash and betting a lot on that idea. Like, this whole thing didn't really have a united front of ideology behind it or anything.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

to quote isthesqueezesquoze.com (made by the WSB guys)

quote:

This is not an epic crusade to get retribution on the financial sector for its reckless greed and the damage it's done to people's lives. It's just a stock play, undertaken to make money off of some hedge funds who got caught in an overexposed position. The financial industry as a whole does not care. This is just a blip on its radar.

The people who started this on /r/WSB did it to make money. They're wealthy wall-street investor types themselves, with access to market data and knowledge that laymen do not have.

Then a bunch of redditors got caught up in a bunch of tinfoil hat stuff about righteously defeating the rich, which drove a pump-and-dump bubble.

Note that before isthesqueezesquoze.com posted that backpedal message, this was their take

quote:

Over the past year, hedge fund supervillains have made money by selling shares of Gamestop they don't actually own - they've just borrowed them. Short selling. If they sell enough they can drive the price down so far that when they eventually need to return the shares they borrowed, they can get them cheap. It's free money. They throw a couple hundred mil at this, chill in their offices watching live video feeds of homeless people being exsanguinated on the hoods of their vintage sports cars, write up an investor report, and call it a fiscal year.

They borrowed and sold a record amount - they sold more shares, in fact, than are actually traded, far more than Gamestop's float. This shouldn't have been allowed to happen and probably means they were selling shares they never even bothered to borrow - naked shorts. (Where were you on that one, SEC?) Essentially, they were simultaneously betting on Gamestop going bankrupt and doing their best to drive them into bankruptcy. It's a good tactic when you need to find a way to pay for your old wife's alimony and your new wife's poolboy.

Like holy poo poo there is so much loaded language there. Its obviously manipulation. They're trying to pitch a story here, one that doesn't really match reality, hence the need for all the big scary words like "supervillains".

Short selling isn't bad, but people who don't understand stocks can be convinced it is nefarious.
Having more shorts than stocks isn't bad and can be reasonable and natural; but people who don't understand stocks can be convinced it is nefarious.

The people who drove /r/WSB were intentionally engineering this event by manipulating people who didn't know as much about what was going on. They're the real supervillains here.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 3, 2021

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

At this stage if you're in it for the principle you're just the bagholder in a redditor ponzi scheme

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I didn't know Musk had any stake in this - he tweeted about it like once - maybe he bought a little as a joke. Hardly matters, he became the world's "richest man" (when going by net worth) back in early January, and since then TSLA has gone up by $100. It's gonna continue ballooning before the bubble bursts and he'll get bailouts when it does.

multijoe posted:

The point was to drive the price up because it was known that hedge funds had shorted enormous amounts of GME stock. Some people that got in early enough (the ones that bought in at $4 or $16) rode it to the top and made big bucks, but anyone buying this last week or so was either doing it to make a point or didn't understand the price was quickly going to crater.

Melvin Capital got a bailout anyway. Not enough to cover the losses I guess, but it don't matter, they have megarich clients and can only fail upwards.

Zaphod42 posted:

The people who drove /r/WSB were intentionally engineering this event by manipulating people who didn't know as much about what was going on. They're the real supervillains here.

For examples of people that lost actual money in this: https://www.reddit.com/r/gme_meltdown/

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Just lol if anyone thinks Elon manages his own money beyond handing it to a dozen banks/hedgefunds and saying, "Make me richer,"

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

multijoe posted:

It 100% was from the very beginning, goons gonna :goonsay: though. Also the stock is still like 120% shorted so, again, with a critical mass of people holding eventually they have to cover.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

S w a y z e posted:

It 100% was from the very beginning, goons gonna :goonsay: though. Also the stock is still like 120% shorted so, again, with a critical mass of people holding eventually they have to cover.

Dude, click that reddit link. It absolutely, verifiably isn't 100%. Using "goons gonna goon" as a defense here is rather questionable.

Also, do you understand what 120% shorted means?

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I think so, but idk if that's the burn you think it is. But honestly it's true that I don't have a lot to contribute here so I'm gonna duck out. My only real issue with the discussion going on here was that it was misrepresenting the average retail stock buyer's mindset as some sort of pump-and-dump chump instead of literally just someone who wanted to stick it to hedge funds. Which absolutely happened too and was all over the front page of the NYT like two days ago. But yeah, that's my only real point. I have no real idea whats gonna happen next. But I dont really think anyone does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

S w a y z e posted:

I think so, but idk if that's the burn you think it is. But honestly it's true that I don't have a lot to contribute here so I'm gonna duck out. My only real issue with the discussion going on here was that it was misrepresenting the average retail stock buyer's mindset as some sort of pump-and-dump chump instead of literally just someone who wanted to stick it to hedge funds. Which absolutely happened too and was all over the front page of the NYT like two days ago. But yeah, that's my only real point. I have no real idea whats gonna happen next. But I dont really think anyone does.

Nobody has the mindset of a chump. You never think you're a chump. Other people trick you into becoming a chump, by fooling you into believing something else. (Like "sticking it to the big guy")

I'm sorry but this is a tale as old as time and pretty much everybody knows what happens next: