Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
One thing I am a bit confused about is why the stock got so high. I mean, doesn't someone have to buy it for the price to go up? Who is doing the buying when it is already super high?

Maybe I am missing part of the process but I've always understood it as something like:

stock = $1.00. Someone buys it and it goes up a fraction. Repeat. And the price drops when people start selling.

Why is gamestop so high? For it to hit $300, someone had to actually buy the stock at $250, right? That's incredibly stupid.

I have to be misunderstanding something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Ok...so people are buying as much as they can no matter the price because when the hedge funds shorts come due, the holders will get to sell at whatever the new price is, guaranteed?

Is that right? At some point in the future, the hedge fund will be on the hook to buy up all that stock at the inflated prices. Anyone who got in when it was lower will make money and anyone at the top will pretty much break even?