Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Waltzing Along posted:

One thing I am a bit confused about is why the stock got so high. I mean, doesn't someone have to buy it for the price to go up? Who is doing the buying when it is already super high?

Maybe I am missing part of the process but I've always understood it as something like:

stock = $1.00. Someone buys it and it goes up a fraction. Repeat. And the price drops when people start selling.

Why is gamestop so high? For it to hit $300, someone had to actually buy the stock at $250, right? That's incredibly stupid.

I have to be misunderstanding something.

When you short a stock, you say "hey, this stock is worth $100 now, but I think that tomorrow it will be worth $90. You have 100 of these shares. I want to borrow them from you and sell them today. Then tomorrow, I'll buy them back for $1000 worth of profit. Then I will give you back the shares and some money, and I will keep the rest of the money."

Lots of very rich people shorted lots of GME stock. In fact, they shorted more GME stock than actually existed, which is something that can happen when a short seller gets shares from another short seller who got them from someone else. So the people buying it are the short sellers who promised to buy it back after selling it, with the hopes of buying it for less than they sold it for.

However, they're on the hook to buy it back regardless of what actually happens to the price. If the price goes up, the short seller takes a bath because they have to buy the shares back at the higher price to make good on their promise to the person they got the stock from originally. That's where the demand is coming from. The short sellers don't actually want GME stock that costs more than they sold it for previously, but they're already on the hook for it.

EDIT: A funny consequence of the way this works is that the short sellers' losses aren't capped. When you buy a stock regularly, you make money when the value goes up and lose money when it goes down. Logically, the lowest the stock's value can go is $0, so the worst thing that can happen is you lose all the money that you invested. On the other hand, when you short a stock, you make money when the value goes down and lose money when the value goes up. That means you can lose a LOT more than what you put in if, you know, hypothetically, you shorted a stock at $15 and it rocketed up to $400.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Acerbatus posted:

They're kinda forced to, if my understanding is correct.

To my understanding, Robin Hood probably has a contract with a brokerage about being a fiduciary, meaning they’re legally obligated to protect you from yourself. See last month how Massachusetts regulators filed a complaint that they were exposing investors to unnecessary risks.

Now, with the average dumbass who doesn't even know how to buy stocks hearing all about the STONKS memes, a lot of people who don't understand the risk they're getting into are likely to spend a lot of money they really can't afford to which is naturally going to lead to a lot of very angry people looking for someone to blame.

It's possible that they're just doing it because they're in with rich people or whatever; But they stand to actually lose a lot of money themselves if they don't save people from their own stupidity.

As for why hedge funds can still buy them, I assume it's because they are legally obliged to buy them already.

All of that hinges on the notion that investing in Gamestop shares is a foolish meme investment. It’s not. There are also serious investment people in suits and ties who are invested in Gamestop, and who recommended that the people who follow them make the same investment.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

:biotruths: