Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

it made two extremely rich guys lose money and be embarrassed so itll be illegal somehow

Attempting to regulate the stock market would cause a lot of even richer people to bring down the goddamn apocalypse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lol that they just literally took away the 'buy stocks' buttons on every single platform

The market's officially literally calvinball for rich people, which was obvious before but this in cspam terms, this is the conditions to crack ping a fuckload of people

And I doubt even the media trying to play the line of it being gross neckbeard gamer bros picking on diverse and woke hedge fund managers is going to get far

They're kinda forced to, if my understanding is correct.

To my understanding, Robin Hood probably has a contract with a brokerage about being a fiduciary, meaning they’re legally obligated to protect you from yourself. See last month how Massachusetts regulators filed a complaint that they were exposing investors to unnecessary risks.

Now, with the average dumbass who doesn't even know how to buy stocks hearing all about the STONKS memes, a lot of people who don't understand the risk they're getting into are likely to spend a lot of money they really can't afford to which is naturally going to lead to a lot of very angry people looking for someone to blame.

It's possible that they're just doing it because they're in with rich people or whatever; But they stand to actually lose a lot of money themselves if they don't save people from their own stupidity.

As for why hedge funds can still buy them, I assume it's because they are legally obliged to buy them already.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

K8.0 posted:

They are financially tied to a company that has shorted GME to a dangerous extent. They're using the convenient excuse in the hopes that they avoid their just deserts.

I don't doubt that, but for every person who says "I knew the risks!" there's 100 people who just heard "free money" and then blow money they can't afford to lose on this.

Zaphod42 posted:

The "apes stick together" memes are covering up the fact that a bunch of redditors are robbing other redditors.

Exactly.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm pretty sure way more people heard "oh poo poo I can make a bunch of money from buying GME. what's GME?" than "I CAN STICK IT TO THE HEDGE FUNDS, MAAAN". Just look on the reddit and discord and stuff and it's pretty obvious pretty fast.