Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Wife and I had a fun con, spent a lot of money on games we’ll hopefully play by next year and spent a lot of time in the Marriott dungeon and dragoning.

Was def concerned going in that masks would be a problem and all the con-goers were super good. Then it was football Sunday and hordes of Colts fans descended on the convention center as totally different maskless game nerds.

Anyways no regerts. Glad we attended. Now it’s time to try and not get destroyed by luggage weight on the way home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okkult
Oct 10, 2012

I was walking across they Skywalk to the mall when the Colts game let out. It was a flood of white midwesterners in blue jerseys. An anime girl saw it and said "Holy poo poo, it's a straight pride parade!" I thought that was a pretty good line to end on.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Okkult posted:

I was walking across they Skywalk to the mall when the Colts game let out. It was a flood of white midwesterners in blue jerseys. An anime girl saw it and said "Holy poo poo, it's a straight pride parade!" I thought that was a pretty good line to end on.

Holy poo poo :lol:

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Okkult posted:

As an Indianapolis resident who sometimes wears a blue jersey and supports the rights of marginalized groups, and also loves GenCon, this bothers me. Midwesterners aren't all racist religious nuts. :(

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Lord Of Texas posted:

As an Indianapolis resident who sometimes wears a blue jersey and supports the rights of marginalized groups, and also loves GenCon, this bothers me. Midwesterners aren't all racist religious nuts. :(

It’s all good. It’s just a joke, nothing more. She’s probably from the Midwest too.

Hopefully you had a good Con and played good games with good people.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I had a pretty short con this year, only showing up for Thursday and Friday. I felt like I saw and did everything I wanted to do by then, and spent the rest of the weekend at home playing Magic with the gf. We met some new people and had a lot of fun though. Hopefully next time around things start to get back to normal.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
It was actually kind of insane how crowded it felt Sunday. I know that there was a colts game going on but even the vendor hall felt pretty packed. I will say I was pleasantly surprised on how disciplined people were with their mask. I don't think I saw anyone really ignore it till like Saturday evening and the person didn't even have a badge.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Back from Gen Con! I attended this year with my 70 year old mother and my sister so I didn't really get a chance to get away from them to attend any goon functions. I was also sort of working the show doing promo for our game currently on kickstarter so that didn't leave me with a ton of energy for extra activities either. Glad I was able to run into and talk to a few goons in the halls, though. Overall this was a fun, but definitely a little weird, Gen Con.

If was definitely not as crowded as Gen Con normally is but it didn't really feel like it was at half (or less) capacity. The one place it did feel pretty empty was the restaurants. We never had to wait for a table when getting dinner. We went to Goodwood twice and Loughmiller's twice. Saturday evening the restaurant was more than half empty which I couldn't believe. The other times they were busy but not so busy that they couldn't seat us right away. Goodwood wasn't bad by the way. I liked the RAM better but this will do as a replacement. I didn't like their beer quite as much and their burgers were a little weird. The potato sides were good though.

The exhibit hall was pretty nice though definitely smaller. It was really obvious on the size decrease as soon as you saw the pipe and drape used to shrink the size of the place. I definitely did not miss the bigger vendors that were not there, and while I am glad there were new vendors I didn't really notice most of them because they didn't have a lot of stuff I was interested in. Definitely seemed like more art and tchotchke places, and the few new game publishers I noticed didn't have anything that I thought was great (like Grandpa's games or whatever they were that was all small generic card based games). I did appreciate the one vendor that brought a full sized Stargate, that was nice. I also was happy to find a vendor in the very tiny entrepreneurs ally that had an RPG based on the American Revolution using 5e rules. I was a little dissapointed in the apparent lack of demos this year. I was able to try that new Terraforming Mars game and we played something in the Ravansberger booth that was about it.

Pin Bazaar wasn't stellar this year, though I still participated in the buying pins part a little bit. We need to figure out if we are going to do a pin next year when we will be back with a booth. If anyone has any great pin ideas let me know. We have one game we might do a promo pin for but will have to see. The first year of pin bazaar was great and the pin alone paid for our booth. The two years after though the pin sales definitely dropped off. I don't know if thats because there is less pin enthusiasm or our pins just were not attractive to most collectors, who knows.

Gaming overall was good. We mostly did demos of The Red Burnoose, which people mostly showed up for. We had a few no shows for our games including 2 slots where the whole group didn't show up for it. I hear that was happening a lot this year. Was curious to know if it was because they decided not to come because of COVID (our events had paper tickets) or if they just did a normal Gen Con game ghosting. I was also able to play in the 2 games for the new Stargate RPG. I enjoyed both sessions though one of them was all social encounters with 0 combat or other skill checks and that just got a little old. Was nice being able to do those RPGs with my mom and sister as well, who are both interested in D&D (mostly to play with my nieces and nephews) but are not overly skilled in the game. They did good for some one off con games, though!

I definitely missed the auction. I would have loved to have been able to go to that again after a couple of years of missing it. The First Exposure Playtest Hall seemed a little sad this year. I only had one manufacturer to talk to in there this year which I guess shouldn't have been much of a surprise. We skipped the food trucks entirely since the lines at lunch were still pretty crazy even with the decreased attendance. I also couldn't believe how non-existent the will call line was. Getting in and out in 10 seconds on Wednesday was great. Wish that could be like that every year. I don't feel like I missed that much else from a normal Gen Con year. The big vendors and CCG games that couldn't be there didn't really effect me, and while I would have liked to have seen more mini games (a lot of them couldn't come this year) I don't think I would have had the time to play any of them. Missed opportunities to hang out with goons this year is probably my biggest regret, but there will be more opportunities for that in the future cons and online at least.

edit: Anyone know how the vendors did? I talked to one vendor that said they had 1/3 the sales of 2019, and another that said it was their best year ever, so I didn't really get a good feel for how they actually did overall.

edit2: I forgot about masks. It was fine wearing them the whole weekend, didn't really impact demoing or playing RPGs or anything. I was pleasantly surprised with how compliant the vast majority of people were. Especially with keeping their masks above their noses. I was sure that was going to be a problem. We did have to get Gen Con HQ to help out with one table that was next to us while we were demoing that say down and then took off their masks and clearly were not planning on putting them back on. I also noticed a fair number of people in the Hall A-D area after the hall closed that were sitting at tables gaming without masks. Sometimes it was a whole table and sometimes it was just 1 or 2 people, but it was still irritating to see. I don't know if Gen Con was patrolling those halls much after 6pm but I certainly hope they were. It was the worst on Saturday night.

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 20, 2021

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Gencon!!
-My Con experience was great. I'm really amazed they managed to pull off what they did even with Covid and the vendors/attendees dropping out. The smaller crowd sizes felt nice, after many years of enormous growth and packed halls. I saw masks everywhere and felt safe. And with small crowds, we actually got tickets to events, got to see things, and didn't feel squeezed in. No elbowing our way through the vendor hall this year.
-Speaking of small crowds, I got to talk to one of the artists (the guy with those $6k bronze dragons) for like a half hour, he was really excited to talk about his techniques and his work was amazing. We probably couldn't have done that sort of in-depth chat during a normal, busy con.
-I don't know if this is just me, but the number of dice vendors was through the roof. I resisted most of them, then I saw Norse Foundry and spent way too much. But they glow in the dark!

Games!!!
-I ran Delta Green on Wednesday night for my group, it was a nice way to get started on the con and set the mood.

-On Thursday we played a 4-hour slot of Star Trek Adventures. Normally you play the Federation, but the GM changed it all to Klingons and came up with great Klingon pregens. The whole game was a blast as we bat'lethed our way through Gorn.

-This years D&D Experience was probably the best I've seen, especially the multi-table special event at the end. I've done a bunch of these and just, wow, the reduced number of tables made everything awesome. We could actually hear announcements, and could gauge the overall event status since there's only a few tables to keep track of. Some years there are 20+ tables and you can't hear a thing or tell what the hell is going on. This event has you do things like send your players to other tables to aid their fights, and it worked out really well since we knew who needed help. We managed to win with all the tables and at the end there was a ton of energy in the room, everyone had a blast.

-We played a 5-hour game of Vampire (V5) on Sunday, after checking the 'full' event listing and realizing tickets were available once again from cancellations. The GM was really passionate, he made a killer module that had to do with investigating a Sabbat pack, with secret story bits for each pregen character, and we enjoyed the hell out of it. The fight at the end was brutal - lots of fire, blood magic, and angry Gangrel. A+

Food!
-Goodwood was ok, not better than the old Ram but it will do. They were very slow, and that was on Wednesday, so we never went back.
-Loughmiller's had instant service on the drinks and refills, but they never had food at the times we showed up. Then the one time we got there at a reasonable hour they had a kitchen fire anyway and closed it down. GG.
-With our games finishing at 11pm there were few late-night food options, so we ended up going to places like District Tap (terrible in every way, the ambulance outside wheeling off a waitress was our first clue) and Kilroy's (fun, decent bar food).
-Panera Bread by the Embassy Suites felt like a hidden secret, with basically no line even at peak lunch hours.
-Nicky Blaine's was a great place to chill out one night, if you don't mind smelling like a cigar elemental afterwards.
-JW's Starbucks closing at like noon or whatever in the middle of a convention boggles my mind. The place is packed and we need coffee!
-My group capped the trip off at Ruth's Chris, always excellent. Just make reservations early in the week.

Hotels...
-After like 5 years of staying at the Omni, this year we switched to the Embassy Suites. It was a mistake. I don't recommend it and won't stay there again. They have nice rooms but that's it. Service was absent but I figured that was just Covid in play. The off-street entrance tunnel/ramp thing didn't feel very safe late at night (after midnight, it was packed with local kids) and uber drivers had a hard time finding it (one of our groups went around the block 3 times in an uber). Some areas were in disrepair, like the tunnel going to the skywalk and the main entry exterior. There were giant gaping holes of exposed concrete in the ceiling, 10' wide. Skip it!

Until next year!

ritorix fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 20, 2021

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

GEN CON!!!!!

Gen Con was a good one for my group and I this year. At one point we thought we would have 5, but that shrunk down to just 3 as the con approached. We all went in with the understanding that if any of us were overwhelmed by the people, if people were being lovely about masks, etc. we would just leave and go play games at my buddy's house all week. It was really awesome that never happened, and even though I wasn't everywhere I didn't even see anyone breaking the mask rules (not counting the legion of maskless Colts fans on Sunday).

The Dealer Hall was fine. It was nice to have more space to walk around, and I didn't miss the big companies as much as I thought I might. But like some others have said, it just felt like there were a LOT of accessory/game-adjacent booths and it got kind of exhausting. We did a few demos but overall it didn't really feel like many places were offering demos. I approached a few booths with games that looked interesting to me (Too Many Bones, Enchanters, Skytear) and I was able to get an explanation of the game after talking with the people but none of them would do a real demo for my friends or I. I'm especially bummed about Skytear because all the play sessions were fully booked and I couldn't tell if it was a fun adaptation or a too-crunchy mini combat game. Since I work for a company who makes a MOBA and enjoy MOBAs myself, I would have gone all-in if I could have just found out if the game felt fun to play.

We played the American Revolution 5e campaign in a session that was about sussing out some witchcraft happening in Salem. It was probably the most fun my group had and our table and DM were great. All of our sessions were great this year, including just some open-play blocks with EPIC and Star Realms. We collectively really missed being able to fill two morning slots every day with PACG, but it also let us explore some other game options we never would have. One of my buddies is VERY into Harry Potter, so we booked slots for two of the Harry Potter 5e campaigns--he ended up not coming to Gen Con but we stuck with the games and they ended up being cute if not a little over the top with fanservice.

Only bought a few extra minis for Middara and a set of dice (since I wasn't able to come with any and needed a set for our games). Feels a bit weird to walk away after spending so little, but I'm not complaining. Another successful Gen Con! Can't wait for next year.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Regarding:
The Exhibit Hall
Yeah now that I have once again experienced the 1990s level of large booths, meaning there were like two, all those goddamn aisle-destroying companies that clog the Exhibit Hall can go to hell and never return. I know that will never be a thing, but I can see an advantage to limiting (or further limiting, if there is a limit) total space any one vendor can take up given what a pleasure the experience of walking through there was this year. And not just from the reduced crowds.

There really were a lot of dice vendors. But considering how empty some of their stocks were looking by the end of Sunday, I think there were not "too many" by popularity (even if it was surprising). Then again, I buy roughly one game or game book per year in the Exhibit Hall so game-adjacent stuff is way more my thing.

Game No-Shows:
I imagine there was more a Delta impact specifically than a COVID-19 impact generally. I certainly know some people who were not really in a position to attend once poo poo went nuts in August, and in some cases that led to four tickets to a single game being refunded as the domino effect of "well I was only playing because he was, so..." took hold.

Embassy Suites:
drat man, harsh. I love the Embassy Suites, and their staff has gone above and beyond often for us in the past. They even just renovated stuff in 2018-2019, so that is weird that there are serious visual construction issues there now. Could be that tunnel is owned by the mall? At least, if I understand/remember which one you mean.

Also their breakfast is so much better than, say, the Hampton Inn's that it is hard to not anticipate trying to get back in there next year with my new V.I.G. powers.

Interesting to hear the Omni is great, though. It is rarely discussed, likely due to it being slightly farther away and not being owned by one of the major brands for rewards stay purposes I imagine.

Other Things:
I would not trade it for the Auction, but actually gaming at Gen-Con again was pretty rad. My first tabletop D&D game since 3rd Edition (the 5th Edition game in the Indianapolis Catacombs) was possibly my favorite Gen-Con game ever, and probably my favorite one-shot game of any type ever. The Call of Cthulhu game where the characters I disliked all got ripped to shreds at the end was delightful too

We clearly got lulled into a false sense of security by the low-key attendance throughout the convention and got absolutely destroyed when trying to get dinner on Sunday though (clearly the Colts fans were involved here). I think we checked five Goon staples only to find them all booked solid for 3-4 hours. Though the restaurant in the Hilton where we ended up was actually good enough that I will definitely keep it in mind for future emergency eat attacks.

I love Gen-Con, and am excited it is barely more than 10 months away already.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
My first gencon in 2019 I was able to luck into a vendor block of rooms at the Omni due to work stuff and that place just is so drat classy, if I could get room there ever again I would in a heartbeat. It was definitely a smaller room compared to the courtyard we were happy to end up in this year but very nice and right there next to food truck row if you like that.

Shadragul
Feb 17, 2020

Patently Ridiculous

Dr. Quarex posted:

We clearly got lulled into a false sense of security by the low-key attendance throughout the convention and got absolutely destroyed when trying to get dinner on Sunday though (clearly the Colts fans were involved here). I think we checked five Goon staples only to find them all booked solid for 3-4 hours. Though the restaurant in the Hilton where we ended up was actually good enough that I will definitely keep it in mind for future emergency eat attacks.
That was McCormick and Schmicks for future reference.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Okay, but I do have to ask: did Catalyst really announce nothing for Shadowrun at GenCon this year?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
From what I saw at the Catalyst booth first thing Thursday morning, everyone was there to buy Battletech stuff and very little else.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Okkult posted:

An anime girl saw it and said "Holy poo poo, it's a straight pride parade!" I thought that was a pretty good line to end on.

my girl, a straight pride parade is just traffic

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
I always enjoy Gencon but god this year really hit for me. It really reminded me how much of what has made the past year and a half rough was the feeling of every day being the same and how much I missed having events to go to. I said this in the Discord, but I really appreciate how friendly everyone is at Shots Wednesday. I really struggle with meeting up with people I don't know well but every year I'm glad I went.

I did the math trade for the first time this year and I think I'll probably be doing it from now on. Seems like a good way to pick up games that I've been vaguely interested in but just would never actually buy for whatever reason. It was a lot less chaotic than I was expecting but I suspect that might be a result of lowered attendance from covid. Though that 8 am start time is killer since I'm not staying downtown.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Speaking of hotels, which ones that are attached and you have stayed in have the largest rooms? I was in the hyatt regency this year and the rooms seemed noticeably (though not drastically) smaller than what I remember our rooms in the JW and Westin were in year's past. I am always on the lookout for the largest rooms so I can cram 6 people into them.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Amcoti posted:

I did the math trade for the first time this year and I think I'll probably be doing it from now on. Seems like a good way to pick up games that I've been vaguely interested in but just would never actually buy for whatever reason. It was a lot less chaotic than I was expecting but I suspect that might be a result of lowered attendance from covid. Though that 8 am start time is killer since I'm not staying downtown.

Same here (except the 8am thing because I'm old and used to getting up early)

I was really impressed by the efficiency of the math trade but less impressed by the organizer who not wearing a mask and not having his kid who was obviously sick wear a mask.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Slimy Hog posted:

I was really impressed by the efficiency of the math trade but less impressed by the organizer who not wearing a mask and not having his kid who was obviously sick wear a mask.

Was the math trade not in the ICC? If it was that sounds like something complaint worthy to get Gen Con HQ to fix on the spot.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Was the math trade an official event? I feel like it wasn't.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
For liability reasons, I can't see the math trade ever being an official event.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Dr. Quarex posted:

Game No-Shows:
I imagine there was more a Delta impact specifically than a COVID-19 impact generally. I certainly know some people who were not really in a position to attend once poo poo went nuts in August, and in some cases that led to four tickets to a single game being refunded as the domino effect of "well I was only playing because he was, so..." took hold.

Sorry bro :(

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Was the math trade an official event? I feel like it wasn't.

nesbit37 posted:

Was the math trade not in the ICC? If it was that sounds like something complaint worthy to get Gen Con HQ to fix on the spot.

It was not. It was held at the Hilton

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Toshimo posted:

For liability reasons, I can't see the math trade ever being an official event.

In past years it was an official event but did not require a ticket. I thiiiiink it was on the event calendar this year.

The guy sucks though. He owns the site that does the trade calculations and all so when I made the mathtrade this year he removed me and took it over. He floods the trade with tons of stuff from his store to sell, gives people broken boxes, and other crap like that. He still owes me like $25 from a lovely trade in ‘19.

Edit: yeah it’s in the catalog

https://www.gencon.com/events/197420

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 21, 2021

Shadragul
Feb 17, 2020

Patently Ridiculous

nesbit37 posted:

Speaking of hotels, which ones that are attached and you have stayed in have the largest rooms? I was in the hyatt regency this year and the rooms seemed noticeably (though not drastically) smaller than what I remember our rooms in the JW and Westin were in year's past. I am always on the lookout for the largest rooms so I can cram 6 people into them.

The regular Hyatt rooms have felt enormous compared to all others I have seen. We stayed at the Hyatt Place (downtown, about a block from Skywalk, so not attached) this year in a two queen bed plus a sleeper sofa room and it would have been great for six people used to cramming into a room. In my opinion the JW rooms feel small, so seeing something that felt even smaller would have been disappointing.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Amcoti posted:

I always enjoy Gencon but god this year really hit for me. It really reminded me how much of what has made the past year and a half rough was the feeling of every day being the same and how much I missed having events to go to. I said this in the Discord, but I really appreciate how friendly everyone is at Shots Wednesday. I really struggle with meeting up with people I don't know well but every year I'm glad I went.
Yay! Yeah even first-timer or low-key Goons seem to have a good time whenever they come to these events. And plus everyone starts as a first-timer sometime!

I did not mention you!!! Plus that story was actually funnier.

"We were playing the Firefly game because [Captain Rat] wanted to do it."
"gently caress Joss Whedon and anything he has ever been involved with"
"Oh, maybe it wasn't actually beacuse of him"

Shadragul posted:

The regular Hyatt rooms have felt enormous compared to all others I have seen. We stayed at the Hyatt Place (downtown, about a block from Skywalk, so not attached) this year in a two queen bed plus a sleeper sofa room and it would have been great for six people used to cramming into a room. In my opinion the JW rooms feel small, so seeing something that felt even smaller would have been disappointing.
How do these rooms then compare to the Embassy Suites, which is mostly what I am familiar with? I can say the Homewood Suites has the biggest "single room"-style rooms I have stayed in at Gen-Con, but that is not saying much as its only competition is the Hampton Inn. I would be shocked if the Columbia Club did not have the biggest rooms overall, but considering you asked for the attached hotels Nesbit37 that is not exactly useful information (plus gently caress the Columbia Club*). In fact, depending on how you define attached, I may have never stayed in a truly "attached" hotel despite always being within a couple of blocks. I have been inside rooms at two of the three Marriotts though and their normal rooms anyway are definitely not that large.

*Also gently caress the Math Trade

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I died, was reincarnated instantly into the body of a donkey as punishment from the gods, bit a guard in the groin, died again.

5/5 great con

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

TheHoosier posted:

I died, was reincarnated instantly into the body of a donkey as punishment from the gods, bit a guard in the groin, died again.

5/5 great con

More people should play Mork Borg.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.
I knew it was going to be hilarious when I rolled for hit points and got a whole two of them. Died on the first hit. It was amazing.

Lead By Example
Jul 17, 2009

I buy and resell Pokemon cards for a living. If you're ever looking to sell your childhood, please reach out!
Fallen Rib
Is anyone here going to Origins this year? I didn't make any plans on going, but life made other plans and now that weekend's free for me if anyone wants to split a hotel or whatever.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Lead By Example posted:

Is anyone here going to Origins this year? I didn't make any plans on going, but life made other plans and now that weekend's free for me if anyone wants to split a hotel or whatever.

I went to Origins Online, according to my T-Shirt!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

OB_Juan posted:

I went to Origins Online, according to my T-Shirt!
:imunfunny:

I absolutely would have gone to Origins this year if it were not farther away than Gen-Con and at basically the same time as Gen-Con. It is basically a Gen-Con echo/shadow this year, which, well, is not really great for anybody. I do hope there is still good attendance though

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I would have gone to origins if it wasn't literally ending the day before I have to be in St Louis to set up Geekway.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I'll be at Origins. Not sure i want to share a hotel room though it would be nice to save $350.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I'll be down there for Friday, Friday, Friday!

But that's it. Mainly there for the Smithees, as usual.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I'm sure most people saw this on Discord, but figured I might as well post here.

I am investigating doing another research project on Gen Con, and could use some additional leads. If you know or remember seeing any recaps of past Gen Cons I would love to know where. This could be websites, blogs, forums, magazines, zines, whatever. I'm most worried about the 90's and 00's because there isn't a ton from the net that is still around online from then and I am not well versed on what the gaming mags of those days were, so I need to figure it out.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
HELL YES I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS

A great excuse to post one of my favorite random webpages, Gen Con in Wisconsin

Here is one of the last Wayback Machine grabs of the Keeper of Ancient Gen Con Lore's webpage before it went down in ... wow, 2007, huh. You missed most of the social media era, Randy

And a fine reminder that the Wizards of the Coast webpage had Gen-Con ...recaps? until Peter Adkison bought things out and started a domain

I want to be your research assistant baby

Edit: Found an issue of Dragon with a recap of Gen Con 1994

Oh hey Alan DeSmet has a couple of early-2000s recaps hidden on his webpage

A weirdly-formatted brief recap of 1998 ... hahaha O.K. this guy's focus is a little narrower than I thought from reading the first few bullet points, though that actually makes it interesting too

Man speaking of narrow views of 1998 ... interesting to imagine these kinds of single-game/person/company reports might have been the rule rather than the exception at the time

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 12, 2021

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

I want to be your research assistant baby

I'M SO READY FOR IT!

I just hope I am not biting off more than I can chew. I need to find magazines and zines with articles from the 70s, 80s, and 90s (and probably 00s) and then its going to be a whole bunch of internet scraping for the 2010s. Today I set a script to work to scrape Nelly and The One Tar's youtube channels for all those sweet sweet live at the con vids they do/did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

I'M SO READY FOR IT!

I just hope I am not biting off more than I can chew. I need to find magazines and zines with articles from the 70s, 80s, and 90s (and probably 00s) and then its going to be a whole bunch of internet scraping for the 2010s. Today I set a script to work to scrape Nelly and The One Tar's youtube channels for all those sweet sweet live at the con vids they do/did.
HELL YES A THREAD JUST FOR US

Something I just discovered by looking for posts from before Gen Con 2002: Apparently the knowledge that it was moving to Indianapolis dates back a lot farther than I thought, if they already knew this in 2000. Peter Adkison must have decided to move it fairly soon after buying TSR if he already settled on Indianapolis by 2000

Edit: "Reference to Gen Con - The prostitutes of New Reno sometimes say "I wish Gen Con took place in some other town." (indeed!) This is the huge gaming convention held in Milwaukee every August. Spotted by David Williams" :stare: