Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

HELL YES A THREAD JUST FOR US

Something I just discovered by looking for posts from before Gen Con 2002: Apparently the knowledge that it was moving to Indianapolis dates back a lot farther than I thought, if they already knew this in 2000. Peter Adkison must have decided to move it fairly soon after buying TSR if he already settled on Indianapolis by 2000

Edit: "Reference to Gen Con - The prostitutes of New Reno sometimes say "I wish Gen Con took place in some other town." (indeed!) This is the huge gaming convention held in Milwaukee every August. Spotted by David Williams" :stare:

I'm going to hazard a guess that he was definitely moving but had to finish out the company's contract. Indy is booked out until at least 2026 I want to say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
I saw this post had new replies and I thought GC22 discourse had already started and honestly I'm disappointed that wasn't it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

WerrWaaa posted:

I saw this post had new replies and I thought GC22 discourse had already started and honestly I'm disappointed that wasn't it.

There will be a Shots Wednesday in 2022 and hopefully this time there won't be a cover.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I hope GC22 is back up to "normal" and everyone just has their gosh dang shots. I got my booster! I'll get another if they let me! GIVE ME ALL THE BOOSTERS gently caress

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Carteret posted:

I hope GC22 is back up to "normal" and everyone just has their gosh dang shots. I got my booster! I'll get another if they let me! GIVE ME ALL THE BOOSTERS gently caress

the pfizer booster kicked my rear end but i'd do it again for a normal gencon where i can walk around sipping beer from a giant hydroflask all day

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Say what you will about GC21 but I brought a buddy to it as his first ever Gencon and he's so hyped for GC22. How hyped? His brother is getting married next year and my friend will be a groomsman but he's asked his brother to please keep GC dates in mind while selecting the wedding date.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Planning for GC22? I thought this was just Quarex and my thread for talking about gen con history now.

22 should be interesting. Hopefully more back to normal. I'll have a booth again which is going to be weird.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm going to hazard a guess that he was definitely moving but had to finish out the company's contract. Indy is booked out until at least 2026 I want to say?
Yeah, 2026, and I am honestly surprised they have not gone farther out than that, since I think the last renewal was during the pandemic. But that might be incorrect.

I say that like guaranteed to be in the same place for five more years is not probably a fairly big commitment as-is in this world, but you know. Nobody has ever mounted a compelling case for a different location than Indianapolis being able to recreate the "gamer city" aspect, even if obviously there are other cities with more lodging close to a convention center from a purely technical sense.

WerrWaaa posted:

I will discourse you!!!

It IS only about a month until the time I posted the thread last year... I might as well get started on that this weekend. Not doing anything else currently, but those moments are when jobs have most often fallen in my lap in the past, so we will see

BlackIronHeart posted:

Say what you will about GC21 but I brought a buddy to it as his first ever Gencon and he's so hyped for GC22. How hyped? His brother is getting married next year and my friend will be a groomsman but he's asked his brother to please keep GC dates in mind while selecting the wedding date.
That is awesome. Your buddy is a good buddy, roger. Particularly given the endless tragedy of Dear Fellis this year.

I am sure I have still never been forgiven for skipping my buddy's wedding in 2008 for Gen-Con. But, well, what can I say, I am monogamous. Also I THINK I would skip Gen-Con for the right event; obviously I already did it once for that whole "having a baby on the Saturday of Gen-Con" tradition we all have in this thread

nesbit37 posted:

Planning for GC22? I thought this was just Quarex and my thread for talking about gen con history now.

22 should be interesting. Hopefully more back to normal. I'll have a booth again which is going to be weird.
Finally, I can hit something with a shoe again.

We can find our own secret place for talking about nerdy history. I have an idea: I will move into an alley near your house and shout any ideas I have from a dumpster

Edit: Also ahahaha

Alan DeSmet 2003 posted:

True Dungeon was a blast! It wasn't my dream LARP, but it far better than I would have expected was possible at a large convention. Absolutely worth $15 to play. Hopefully they'll return next year.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

Finally, I can hit something with a shoe again.

We can find our own secret place for talking about nerdy history. I have an idea: I will move into an alley near your house and shout any ideas I have from a dumpster

Edit: Also ahahaha

Excellent plan. Not really any allys nearby but there are yards for you to skulking in.

True Dungeon @ $15 is absolutely worth it. I don't know how people can justify it at eleventybillion dollars per run today.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm always baffled by the groups trading with huge binders of the True Dungeon loot box tokens. That's like thousands of dollars of larp equivalent buttcoins.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I tried to get into true dungeon maybe 5 years ago and just couldn't do it. Too much money on tokens. I still have some pricey ones I should sell.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
The thing that bums me out involving TD are when the supposed intro/newbie runs get bought out by folks who are completely kitted out and on their nth run of the con.
More intro runs, lower virtual TD cost, shift the income away from whales to get new blood - that's what I want to see.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I may be overestimating how many whales there are, but I imagine the token trade may well be the primary aspect of their business where they make money, suggesting they upset the whales at their peril. It at least logically is low-cost and high-profit, unlike basically everything else they seem to be doing.

Alternately, bring back the 2003 setup for $15

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
As someone who worked on True Dungeon in the 03-04 era both at Indy and SoCal, I appreciate that they paid to fly me to multiple GenCons, house me in better accommodations than any anime con willingly did, and that they were novel and interesting at the time and I learned a lot over the course of my time there.

I would not piss on them if they were on fire though.

Re: cost, It's effectively a massively larger escape room with lootboxes, and the escape room we went to this year was appreciably more than $15, so good luck!

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Dr. Quarex posted:

That is awesome. Your buddy is a good buddy, roger. Particularly given the endless tragedy of Dear Fellis this year.

Yeah that was a shitshow, I'm glad I went but I would have far preferred to be at Gencon. I only have one other friend who I would skip GC for and he's my roommate so he probably can't plan a wedding without me hearing about it.

Bottom Liner posted:

larp equivalent buttcoins.

perfect description. I run virtual TD with a group that has poured a ton of money in, and it's fun when you have all the gear loaned to you without having to own it. I've pulled some good tokens, now I just have the buttcoin problem of finding another rube to sell them to. There are some cool puzzles and encounters, and the virtual experience has gotten much better as it's gone on. I don't think it's worth it aside from enjoying the company of the people I run with though :shrug:

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

HELL YES I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS

A great excuse to post one of my favorite random webpages, Gen Con in Wisconsin

Here is one of the last Wayback Machine grabs of the Keeper of Ancient Gen Con Lore's webpage before it went down in ... wow, 2007, huh. You missed most of the social media era, Randy

And a fine reminder that the Wizards of the Coast webpage had Gen-Con ...recaps? until Peter Adkison bought things out and started a domain

I want to be your research assistant baby

Edit: Found an issue of Dragon with a recap of Gen Con 1994

Oh hey Alan DeSmet has a couple of early-2000s recaps hidden on his webpage

A weirdly-formatted brief recap of 1998 ... hahaha O.K. this guy's focus is a little narrower than I thought from reading the first few bullet points, though that actually makes it interesting too

Man speaking of narrow views of 1998 ... interesting to imagine these kinds of single-game/person/company reports might have been the rule rather than the exception at the time

I just went through all of these and its good stuff. I also tracked down a few of the accounts from the Gen Con livejournal group, but there must be more of them. It just isn't clear the best way to search that at this time but I need to put more time into it. I am sure there are a lot of single person accounts of the events out there, its just tracking them all down that is going to be a pain in the rear end.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Can anyone think of various groups at Gen Con that may have online forums I can scrape? I am going through the True Dungeon forums today and am just wondering what other groups may have similar online presences going back a few years. I just checked Fight in the Skies Society and their forums were not active enough to bother scraping. It may be a lost cause but I am happy to follow up on any leads to other groups I don't follow. I have no idea if there is a magic community that would be posting Gen Con after action reports, for example.

edit: Just fyi I've already scraped the Gen Con forums (which don't go back that far) and BoardGameGeek going back to 2004.

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 19, 2021

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

nesbit37 posted:

Can anyone think of various groups at Gen Con that may have online forums I can scrape? I am going through the True Dungeon forums today and am just wondering what other groups may have similar online presences going back a few years. I just checked Fight in the Skies Society and their forums were not active enough to bother scraping. It may be a lost cause but I am happy to follow up on any leads to other groups I don't follow. I have no idea if there is a magic community that would be posting Gen Con after action reports, for example.

edit: Just fyi I've already scraped the Gen Con forums (which don't go back that far) and BoardGameGeek going back to 2004.

Paizo/Pathfinder?

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

nesbit37 posted:

The Magic community is so spread out, I doubt there's anything to find. There might be some old event calendars somewhere on a judge message board, but the only real major event that gets coverage was the World Cup back in... 2012-ish? Most of the Magic at Gen Con is either casual, or just con-specific, like "the Gen Con championship" and I don't think it gets any coverage or published decklists or anything.

Pastimes runs it, though, so maybe they have like blog posts or something about their events. Any Magic-specific forums or subreddits or whatever might have some passing mentions of the con, but honestly, it's not really a thing on the radar like GPs or MagicFests or whatever. (Maybe next year if GPs or MagicFests aren't back yet? Who knows.)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

nesbit37 posted:

quote:

There is an official Gen Con discord @ https://discord.gg/XupYhK2ksT. One of the channels there is "Gen Con Memories." It's filed under Gen Con 2020 but I've seen requests for stuff from the 90s and people have posted them. I would check it out and see what you can get.

might be a good resource

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Ok, I wasn't really sure on the magic stuff. Its so bug and has been a big part of the convention for so long I figure people had to be talking about gen con somewhere. I just wasn't sure if it was one central place or a whole bulkanized set of places.

I'm on the Gen Con discord and will definitely check there as well. I am going to do some memory based stuff but am more interested in contemporary accounts. Memory can color history so much.

I'm also not sure how to scrape a discord channel but need to look into it. Future historians are going to be so screwed doing research from like 2015 on. There are so many little places people post poo poo and most of them are not even semi permanent. Add on that the issues of scraping places like Facebook and its just a nightmare. Its going to be annoying tracking down magazine articles and stuff for the pre 2000 gen cons but at least I'll be more confident about how much of the conversation I am catching.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

For context, that comment was to someone asking for old pictures, so they meant people were sharing old photos and not just writing memories. Not sure if photos help your project much but can’t hurt!

For scraping Discord the search is actually pretty good, you can search channels for embeds, links, etc. Makes it pretty easy to scrape.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

It bothers me frequently that Gen-Con just kept overwriting its own forums, but I wonder if the Wayback Machine would at least have some sporadic posts? If only I could check

Oh yeah, it used to be http://community.gencon.com/forums/ before it was http://www.gencon.com/forums so that is why the Wayback Machine stops at 2016

I FEEL like they had forums before 2006, as I swear that was when they switched to the new system and is the reason I have such a low ID number for the convention, but I am not 100% sure.

For that matter, Wizards of the Coast themselves had a forum they were pushing hard in the mid-2000s; do those even still exist? How about GLEEMAX oh man, these memories. Infrno?

Also for some reason furries immediately come to mind given how I have been seeing them proudly wearing their tails and ears there longer than anywhere else. But that would be a challenge to figure out where furries specifically talk about conventions. No shame if anyone here happens to know

Did Penny Arcade have forums before PAX? I suppose they might have talked about it even after, but there was definitely reactionary hostility on the Unplugged forum when I brought it up (because lines are life)

nesbit37 posted:

I'm also not sure how to scrape a discord channel but need to look into it. Future historians are going to be so screwed doing research from like 2015 on. There are so many little places people post poo poo and most of them are not even semi permanent. Add on that the issues of scraping places like Facebook and its just a nightmare. Its going to be annoying tracking down magazine articles and stuff for the pre 2000 gen cons but at least I'll be more confident about how much of the conversation I am catching.
As is so often the case, we have all the downsides of hugely centralized companies running everything with none of the advantages you would expect from centralized control of things, like ease of use or archiving or searching. Yay!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Well I definitely have my work cut out for me. I've been gathering the online content for about 2 weeks now and so far I have:

218 pages of forum posts
140 website and youtube links
204 videos between Nelly and TheOneTar
The claim for Lucasarts v. Gen Con

I still have to scrape the relevant pages of the Something Awful Gen Con threads.

All of this content is just for Gen Con from roughly 2003 to 2021, most of it is for 2013 on.

There is still some more out there I can probably scrape but I'll probably stop gathering internet material within the next week or so and move on to trying to ID magazines from 1980-2010 that may have Gen Con recaps in them and then try to acquire them. If you remember the titles of any gaming magazines from those eras let me know the titles and I'll add them to my lists if I don't already have them down.

edit: 99% of this is Gen Con recap content. If I just wanted anything to do with Gen Con there would be tons more.

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 23, 2021

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
It is fantastic how it seems to be nigh-impossible to search Usenet posts nowadays, despite that being such an obvious archive to logically keep up. I am sure I myself talked about Gen-Con on like rec.rpg.dnd.whatever in 1997!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Yeah I haven't really tried to search usenet yet. Its coming, though. If usent doesn't have anything i can find it will probably be magazine recaps only for 2001 and earlier.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
In my dredging of the internet for past Gen Con info I found this episode of X-Play from 2002 covering the last Milwaukee Gen Con I thought you all might be interested in seeing. Its about a 5 minute long segment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouYMIHJ7QYA&t=60s

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 1, 2021

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Haha, I think those might be booth guys from the legendary forgotten Battle T.A.G.S. at 5:56.

Thanks for that link, as I definitely never saw it before when trying to drep-dive Gen-Con-related videos. I only remember the giant D20 otherwise.

I am also amused that Calye Calhoun is none of those chainmail bikini women, considering I thought she was literally the only one who did that. I had no idea it was a trend. I am kind of proud that I paid so little attention to it at the time

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Posting this mostly for Quarex since he is probably most likely to read these beyond me.

I found a murder mystery book trilogy that takes place at Gen Con. Its not bad, I read half of the first one last night. They aren't terribly long, less than 200 pages, and are packed with Gen Con nostalgia and the who's who of Gen Con from roughly a decade ago.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/114405

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

https://www.gencon.com/press/gen-con-2022-badge-registration

Masks again, also a vaccine requirement.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I was really pleased with how well everyone obeyed the mask mandate last year, and the added vaccine requirement makes me happy. Excited for Gen Con this year, but really interested to see what dealer/organizer attendance looks like. I’m going to be sad if Paizo doesn’t come back, i want my early morning PACG sessions back :shobon:.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I apologize for not beating that announcement with the new thread, though honestly that was a good impetus to make sure I finished it. Already got the thread title and most of the starter post words done!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Agrias120 posted:

I was really pleased with how well everyone obeyed the mask mandate last year, and the added vaccine requirement makes me happy. Excited for Gen Con this year, but really interested to see what dealer/organizer attendance looks like.

Same, especially if any of our international friends can make it or not. I will say that while I saw pretty great mask adherence in the convention center, the hotel lobbies were free-for-alls especially once the football crowd showed up Saturday night.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

I apologize for not beating that announcement with the new thread, though honestly that was a good impetus to make sure I finished it. Already got the thread title and most of the starter post words done!

There better be a section praising me or I'll riot!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
IT IS TIME

TO PRAISE

ADMIRAL JOESLOP