Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

Swan Lake Algae Problem posted:

I’ve found this season really strange, it’s been really funny and weird, in the way that I thought made the first campaign so fun, things like the black parade reveal have been great.

But it’s also full of their worst writer impulses, where they want to tell a poignant story about trauma and growth, and an improvised podcast seems like the worst possible venue for that story.

The main thing is that I just really need to stop listening to Teen Talk, because it feels like every episode of that show is about how ‘this episode was bad and we dropped the ball on this Emotional Beat’ and it’s a weird energy.

Strong agree on these points. They bascally have to bench Beth's comedy for most of the sesson to try and tell story's that don't really suit the cast or the podcast in general.

I would mind season 3 being a brand new universe as I feel season is kind of been weighed down by season one elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I liked this week's episode again. Funny and tense. Felt like a pretty good S1 episode.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I wouldn’t mind if they spent a few episodes just being funny for a while, I don’t think they’re quite nailing the tonal dissonance

E: sometimes I wonder though if this show’s audience is younger than I think they are and maybe this is all resonating with them but not me. I feel like I’m supposed to relate because the players are the same age as me but I’m always surprised at how young some of the fans are whenever I rediscover it. I ran into the same thing with naddpod, when Emily kept making jokes about vaping and Murph had to tell her to stop corrupting teenagers (jokingly, but they do listen apparently)

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 19, 2023

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

had thought this was what freddy was alluding to when he mentioned on one of the bonus episodes that he was trying out a different character voice for a "project: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9riE94Kkwq4

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

I thought something about the editing in the latest episode was way better, and it turns out that it was edited by Freddy for the first time since Season 1.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
I thought Freddy was a great editior but immediately I've no idea how the sausage is made.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I know like me a lot of people are cold on Season 2, but they just released the second episode of their new side campaign and it's really great so far. It brings in Amanda from Sons and Sonsability, Elyse from the Erica Drippens episode, and Riley Rose Critchlow. They're all great and it's very funny.

The latest episode of Season 2 is a strange one. Apparently, none of the players really understood the premise and it created a messy episode, so they completely re-recorded it.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I like season 2, and i am not afraid to say it

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.
Season 2 is fun, it just felt way more directionless than season 1 up until recently.

It's also disappointing that Beth has a less funny character this time around.

Still good, just not on the same level.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Yeah, sorry for bad vibes. For better vibes, a Redditor made a dice tower inspired by the Pyramid Incident:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The side campaign is great, I wish they’d do more of that kind of thing tbh. One shots or just general gently caress around episodes where the cast can cut and loose and just be funny and not have to worry too much about getting a story or characterization right

I’m enjoying s2 well enough from a comedy perspective but I’ve given up on trying to follow the plot; I don’t remember how they got to the titanic if I’m being completely honest with myself

Matt at least is still fully unchained and brings it every time. I appreciate his refusal to let go of the fact that they’re all married now

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

All of the players are irreplaceable, but Matt lowkey holds the podcast together and it likely wouldn't work without him. He's so good at pushing scenes and dialogue.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
He manages to find the absolute funniest way to be contrary in every single interaction.

Seconding more side campaigns that let's the crew go full unhinged.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

His skill is inhabiting a character so fully that he can, without hesitation, make a move that is obviously stupid and wrong from the player’s perspective, but makes perfect sense as a mistake that the character would make, in a way that forces Anthony and everyone else to adapt to it, but in a way that feels supportive rather than selfish.

Also blurting out pitch-perfect phrases like “sorry we turned into a bird”

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

The "Thanks for all your help, Gartok" bit gets funnier on re-listens.

Also, Freddy got some short-shrift in the thread. The degree to which he leaned into Glenn being an absolute shithead during his trial is some of my favorite improv.

Coquito Ergo Sum fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 7, 2023

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

I agree on Freddy, he goes in 100% on whatever bit he lands on. Sometimes that's a dud, sometimes it's magic, but I'm always kind of appreciative of his energy.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
I love Freddy but I hate "oh oh oh here's what happens"

Motherfucker that's Anthony's job lol

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jeremor posted:

I agree on Freddy, he goes in 100% on whatever bit he lands on. Sometimes that's a dud, sometimes it's magic, but I'm always kind of appreciative of his energy.

his refusal to be dragged down by failure is honestly really admirable. if he could keep his head up after that stand-up bit, then i have no excuse for slouching

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Some of my favorite bits are Matt's word salad moments.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i have like zero idea what this show is about anymore

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
Yea, they are allover the map. This hilarious to listen to but I'd say they will be glad to wrap up season 2

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

QuoProQuid posted:

i have like zero idea what this show is about anymore

Honestly Anthony seems super checked out too and i kind of wish he'd stop saying it on mic (or that they'd edit it out before releasing the eps), it's kind of hard to enjoy an ep when the host opens it by outright saying "i don't like doing this anymore" but i'm not his therapist

I've stopped trying to follow the plot, but the jokes are still good at least. it's hard to get too pumped for new episodes anymore though yeah

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
the most incredible thing is that at any given scene there’s between two to seven NPCs just standing off to the camera

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I feel like they should hurtle this campaign towards some kind of ending and then maybe take a little hiatus and/or do some low pressure one-shots to recharge their batteries a little. Maybe they could follow naddpod's suit and have one of the other players or a guest take a turn as GM to give Anthony a little break, he seems like he's falling apart a little bit. I feel like they overcooked this one and TAZ'd it a little and could benefit from some time to catch their breath (and I, the loyal audience, could use a break from trying to remember what this story is about)

I still love the cast, and there are still laughs to be had in the episodes, so I'm not planning to abandon it like I did TAZ but...yeah this one got away from them a little I think

e: i'm noticing i used the word "a little" 6 times in 4 sentences. i'm not mad, just disappointed

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Just make Amanda a permanent co dm problem solved.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Bring Back Story Break

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

goblin week posted:

Bring Back Story Break

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Second seasons are always rough. Trying to recapture lightning in a bottle is a big ask and I don't blame Anthony for the fumble but I do worry he is burning out on the whole thing and that would be a shame.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
god.

im sure the tumblr oakworthy shipping fanbase loved this episode

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I dunno what the plot is anymore but the cast is still having fun and I think that’s great

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

goblin week posted:

god.

im sure the tumblr oakworthy shipping fanbase loved this episode

I'm still puzzled about when normal actually started to like hermie. For the longest time I thought he was just pretending to like him in order to get him to go along with their plan or something? I'm just glad he's dead.

Love the Shade Witch though.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

Friend posted:

I'm still puzzled about when normal actually started to like hermie. For the longest time I thought he was just pretending to like him in order to get him to go along with their plan or something? I'm just glad he's dead.

Love the Shade Witch though.

Yea I think hermie's original nice guy role was comedy gold but I am glad he is gone. Although in the Daddie universe people do not stay dead.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

I thought he was a fun bit as the overconfident nerd, but after 20 episodes of his only bit being The Joker, I'm not going to miss him.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

I dunno what the plot is anymore but the cast is still having fun and I think that’s great

the kids were collecting daddy magic to try to get the doodler home and oops just happened.

everybody has bad seasons but I'm glad they're doing something different for a while with will taking over. anthony doesn't seem roasted or anything, but just switching things up is a good idea.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Anthony said in the patreon the season only has like three episodes left

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

If anyone is looking for another actual play with a solid start, good humor, an editing, check out Skull Tenders. It has people like KC Greene and Voidburger as players, and the DM has a lot of the best qualities of the best podcast DMs. There's also a lot of great music

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

The finale for season 2 aired today. Decent episode, and I think I liked it better than Season 1's finale, oddly enough.

On the other hand, I'm really enjoying the KDM bonus campaign. I wish they'd have the confidence to let a game do some of the legwork for them. This whole season has felt like a 50+ hour episode of Story Break.

Coquito Ergo Sum fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 27, 2024

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

The finale for season 2 aired today. Decent episode, and I think I liked it better than Season 1's finale, oddly enough.

On the other hand, I'm really enjoying the KDM bonus campaign. I wish they'd have the confidence to let a game do some of the legwork for them. This whole season has felt like a 50+ hour episode of Story Break.

As a huge Story Break fan who hasn’t listened to this podcast in over a year I must respectfully disagree

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I just listened to the season 2 finale and I really liked it. It felt like a really strong finish.

I thought it was an interesting character choice Will made at the end where he didn't really tell us anything about Normal's life as an adult beyond him being distant from the others and feeling kind of vaguely sad and out of place. That felt both realistic and bittersweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Matt's improv hot potato to Beth at the end.