Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I got the feeling that the final third of the last episode (ep31) was them re-recording to close out that "arc" and move on because it was getting so tedious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Looks like they hosed up again and put the mbic on the no-ads patreon feed. Pretty fun little 15 minutes of chaos trying to build a rocket to escape a doomed earth.

Speaking of the patreon, I joined before they started doing ad breaks and only just realized they have entertaining ads, so I started back from the beginning. Does anyone know if they do that thing where they update old episodes to have new ads? Currently getting a lot of Chime and "Etsy me, Mario! [matt laughs hysterically]"

Anyway it is incredible how much faster that season moves, at least early on. By episode eleven you've already got Gartok, Cern, the pyramid, Paedon, Scam Likely, Erin O'Neil, and the Library, and only three of those were thought of ahead of time by Anthony. I'm still enjoying season 2 but wow I forgot how strong it was when it started as a high stakes/low planning adventure.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Snowy posted:

The what?

Monthly bonus of indeterminable content for the $10 tier, it came up on my rss feed as an mbic but the patreon just says "Bonus" so maybe they thought 15 minutes wasn't enough to justify it :shrug:

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

On the one hand, Beth and Freddie were given the easiest characters to imitate, blew it, and seemed hesitant to contribute anything; Matt played it fairly safe but kept things moving as usual, and some of Anthony's stuff sounds good on paper but fell a bit flat.

But on the other hand, everything Will did was a high point of this season. His rant about rick and morty fans' reputation and Freddie being terrible ("good job you finally got one") and his desperate and rapid-fire Aristocrats joke were incredible.

But I've been going through some stuff this week so maybe the levity just hit me different

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Crazy how much of this conversation also applies to the latter part of Adventure Zone season 1. I don't know who the audience that likes this is, but any time there is a drawn-out emotional scene and/or a player starts crying I just check out.

At least I don't have to listen to two brothers roleplay a wizard trying to gently caress a skeleton though.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

goblin week posted:

god.

im sure the tumblr oakworthy shipping fanbase loved this episode

I'm still puzzled about when normal actually started to like hermie. For the longest time I thought he was just pretending to like him in order to get him to go along with their plan or something? I'm just glad he's dead.

Love the Shade Witch though.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Pennsylvanian posted:

Matt's improv hot potato to Beth at the end.

That and the argument he had with Freddie about dropping him were real highlights. The rest of the episode was a blur, which is usually true of combat-heavy episodes, but I don't even remember how Willie died and I just listened to it 4 hours ago.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Went back and realized why I didn't remember it. He blips back from hell, the soccer players say "uh nevermind" and then "everyone's spells start blasting him and he gets hurt and dies the end."

What kind of climax is that? Not only did no one roll, but they didn't even say who was doing the spells or what the spells were!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

New episode seems like a strong start and I'm looking forward to Will DMing again.

Nitpick though: am I crazy or were there like 20 npcs with names introduced? I had a hard time keeping track of who the player characters were at the start and it didn't help that the whole town was being introduced in the bowling alley. Had the person knocking on Matt's door already been introduced? :iiam:

Friend fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 10, 2024