Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Scam Likely is one of the best npc's in any dnd podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

If you aren't already, please give these people 5 bucks a month.

Cause, gently caress man

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

You can absolutely hear a difference in the energy. Great episode.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Pennsylvanian posted:

Does anyone feel like this episode was a little over edited? There are very few breaths for air.

I've felt this way for a while actually. The episodes feel so short and yet moving so fast. I relistened to season 1 and the best parts are when the dads are just going "where the gently caress are we and what is even happening, let's have a dad huddle and hash this out"

This season has some funny stuff but it feels in a hurry.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Alright, season 2 confirmed good now

Some real chaotic stupid energy this episode

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

This MBIC is short but very good. Would listen to a 40k rpg with Matt.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Pennsylvanian posted:

I also get really confused with the world, but that's likely also just me.

Not just you. It's weirdly trying to be odd, but ends up more generic than the first season.

Kind of feeling like they fell into the same trap of adventure zone. They went "dnd sucks, we hate dnd" but didn't replace it with anything interesting. A lot of my favorite moments from season 1 directly from dnd rules that they either misunderstood or used to completely gently caress up whatever Anthony laid out for them. This season is mostly Anthony saying a thing, them trying to improv a funny solution to the thing as they follow breadcrumbs, then the thing is over and something else happens. I can't think of a time that has truly derailed anything.

I think season 1, at least the first half of it, was more reactive to the characters and their dumb decisions. Season 2 has felt more rigid, and yet less defined somehow. I don't know. It's not bad, it's just not as fun to me.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Have to say happy content Scary/terri is a real fun energy too, for right now. I kind of got lost on some of the back and forth planning but it was a good episode

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

some of the funniest moments of season 1, in my opinion, were because of them engaging with combat in ways that weren't exactly RAW but were fun. Beheading the vampire with the bag of holding, killing the bandits in the cave by using the colorful flowers or whatever, throwing the bag of beans and making a pyramid... Like, way more of their successful comedy was actually enabled by D&D than they seem to want to admit. 5e is not a perfect system, no, but it's also not oppressive or anything either. You have a ton of weird magic items, some weird magic spells, and some class abilities that can be used in funny ways. I think you have two choices with successful D&D actual plays... either you keep not knowing poo poo about playing the game and just keep going off the rails (Rude Tales), or you learn the rules well and do funny poo poo by turning the game against your DM (NADDPOD). Both put a lot of pressure on the DM to "yes, and" in funny but clever ways.

I think a universally unsuccessful model is, "I hate D&D, I don't understand any of the rules, I refuse to learn them and I get frustrated by it. Let's just ignore it or try to change it into some half-assed original game system."

Honestly, combat doesn't have to be boring. That's the fault of a lazy DM. Combat should be just as much of a puzzle as everything else, and can be as small scale as you'd like it to be. Want quick combat? Give the enemies much less health, but do twice as much damage. But also don't make every combat solved by killing people one by one.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Yeah I feel the same way about s2. It isn't without its funny stuff, for sure, but there's been a lot of kind of friction with the characters themselves and the plot. Not interesting friction. Just sort of confused tension.

Their cthulu playthrough was awesome, and perfect for a cthulu game. But was it as funny as their other stuff? I'm having a hard time remembering funny moments now, probably need to relisten. I'll never forget film reel cutting scene though. Guess it just depends what kind of show they want to make. Feels like they do want more drama than just pure wacky comedy.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

I've felt the same thing about a lack of Ron. There's no real wildcard to the group. They generally just kind of talk about poo poo and then do it. Occasionally Freddie will get a really dumb idea that he overcommits to and is kind of fun, but yeah... I miss Ron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

I agree on Freddy, he goes in 100% on whatever bit he lands on. Sometimes that's a dud, sometimes it's magic, but I'm always kind of appreciative of his energy.