Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

torn grimoire posted:

i just wanna say that i subscribed to the patreon, it's the first patreon i've ever... subscribed to, and the bonus content/discord server are very worth it. "at the mountains of dadness" (call of cthulhu game, and a prequel to d&daddies) and "all that jizz" (star wars campaign, only one episode so far) are both horrifying and hilarious, respectively.

me, this morning: ugh I have too many patreons, I should trim the ones I never really listen to or get anything from anymore.

me, five minutes ago: gently caress I gotta give the Daddies five bucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Crazyeyes posted:

How in the HELL did they actually shell out money for the actual Star Wars fanfare? They really went all out for this.

guys I cannot stress enough if you like the podcast this is 100% up there with NAADPOD in the 'holy poo poo you get a lot for five bucks' because they do not gently caress around here.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
What are some must listen to Talking Dad episodes? I mean I'm sure they're all solid but are there any ones that are especially fun to start with?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Froghammer posted:

The latest episode is a lot, ya'll

I truly can't believe the ep started with 'tell em Freddy's mom sent ya' ad poo poo and Rat Daddy bullshit and ended there. These folks are genuinely really good at storytelling

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I don't know poo poo about his personal life (the, uh, the parts that weren't dragged out during that whole crazy period ages ago) but he's either a really good actor or was at least in some way touching on something he had pretty major empathy for. Like, I'd fully believe 'no he's just really good at setting a scene and as a functional human being describing a parade of tragedy and abuse for a child just kinda got to him' but man when he got choked up that hit hard.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

eke out posted:

i just caught up with the end of the star wars episodes and lmao it is truly the stupidest poo poo they've ever done

I hope they do another, there are so many amazing moments of just stupid bullshit.

Matt's character reacting to Will's getting her family threatened if she didn't turn over the crew to the empire with just completely deadpan and instant 'wow...sorry about your family' is legit one of the best comedic moments the podcast has had.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
This is my favorite loving podcast, this dumb beach episode bullshit was perfect after last episode.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pennsylvanian posted:

Pulling out the encounter table out of nowhere so it could result in Henry delivering heartfelt speeches to his children in mini-man voice is something so unique to DADDPOD.

going seamlessly from saying how cool a bunyip looks to 'I'm going to cast fireball at my maximum level' was the most D&D rear end thing ever and I loved it.

Then it going to 'hey a bunch of Jinns' 'you can't call us that *reduce person*' had me literally in tears laughing

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Glenn is probably my least favorite of the Daddies (not that any of them aren't great), but Freddie is by far top of my list for the group dynamic as a whole. He and Beth are easily the most chaotic forces in the group and it always pays off so well.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Stunning Honky posted:

Henry and the Jannis is probably the hardest I've laughed at any podcast

'it's like me going up to strangers and going 'oh hey, white people!''

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

god this could mean so many things, Dungeons and Daddies probably has the highest amount of absolute 'wait why are you doing that...noooo...nooooooooooooo' from the GM and I love it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Don't feel bad for the GMs, our devil's bargain always has been 'we get to make a world to gently caress with our players' vs 'you idiot, you fool, you chump, you let me have this meaningless magic item five sessions ago and forgot about it but I just realized I can use it to completely negate your entire encounter'.

Adversarial GM/player relationships that revolve around the GM trying kill the players as fast as possible are broke, adversarial GM/player relationships that revolve around both sides trying to find the funniest way to gently caress up the other side's day are bespoke.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Will finally learned Jezzball and used it to cast the perfect spell

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
there's no way whatever you're thinking of is what happens and it's glorious

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
they hosed him

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Truly there's no greater power move in D&D than telling your GM 'no YOU roll perception'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea it'd honestly be worse if Payden actually solo'd the dragon. There was only one way our sweet, stupid, boy could go out and that was 100% confidently saying he's awesome and then eating absolute poo poo

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ainsley McTree posted:

I mean she's owed a few back sneak attacks, it's fair. And it's not like they were ever really playing by the book anyway so honestly who cares

They should've just renamed it, "sneak attack" makes it sound like you can only do it from stealth (which is a reasonable thing to assume given what the rogue's whole archetype is). It should be called like, exploit weakness or something, you can and should be trying to get one in on every round of combat if you want to pull your weight as a rogue I feel like.

I might just be fixated on podcasts loving up sneak attack though, because I've only played one d&d campaign and my character is a rogue, so I'm used to reflexively asking "and i get a sneak attack, right?" every time i stab someone and it's always funny to me when podcast players don't realize until 1,000 hours in how the mechanic is supposed to work

yea that's the core issue, it's a legacy holdover from when rogues literally did need to be in some position where they were ambushing someone or otherwise catching them off guard but the devs rightly realized 'wait that kinda sucks to make the rogue player have to always be creepin and have to justify how to use their main source of damage when everyone else can walk around normal' but then decided to keep the name and make it kinda work entirely different than how you'd expect a move called 'sneak attack' to work.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea plus it sounded like he genuinely was swerved by the pocket dimension trick and decided to roll with it to reward creativity. I have a feeling Willie was meant to be a way bigger part of the fight before he got fish-hooked into the fuckoff box. I can see why he went with it, though, it was a good climactic end to have everyone working together with Ron telling him to gently caress off and all even if it wasn't the big magic fight Anthony likely planned.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

goblin week posted:

Willie getting told to go gently caress himself before being put in the box is the resolution he deserves. He's not worthy anyone's time to deal with

Yea there is some merit in the idea that Willie getting ganked by everyone teaming up to put him in the fuckoff box while Ron tells him to go gently caress himself being more narratively fitting for him. He was the kind of character who clearly thought he was the main character and was likely expecting a big epic magic fight and even if you beat him in it you kinda give him what he wants by just letting this pathetic abusive loser become 'the big bad' in such a way. Shoving him in the fuckoff box is what he deserves as Ron's payoff to overcoming his abuse and all.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

eke out posted:

anthony's really leaning into the horror vibes, i hope he keeps it up

'witnesses outside the car see, in order, the same man twice and a boy that looks wrong'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean, the entire joke was Will's character sucks to the point where their NPC guide said 'shut up, you're my least favorite one' and all, so I think the bit is he's gonna be less of a dink.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I also meant Matt :argh:

what even are names, maaaaaaaaaan

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dr Christmas posted:

I could feel the continuity from the film-based Lovecraftian body horror in Mountains of Dadness to the poo poo they had going on with the Speed Runner, which was cool.

Scary Terry comparing herself to Anne Frank was hilarious.

'I'm sorry for both me AND Anne Frank' was such a good stupid teen line that made me absolutely lose my poo poo

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Vinny Possum posted:

what podcast is this, for a friend.

I think Glass Cannon, they just had a really good finale to Giant Slayer but they're a lot more crunchy and there was indeed a very hilariously typical of D&D players like five minute debate (not really an argument) about which spell to use a dispell on.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

goblin week posted:

Did they slay the giant tho???

They did

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pennsylvanian posted:

Yeah I was lukewarm on Lincoln until this episode. I'd say that Matt regularly has my favorite in-character comedy scenes.

Matt is the master of making a character that seems a bit annoying/less fun than the others but winding up with some of the best moments. Like, I know that sounds kinda backhanded and lovely to say but I do genuinely think it's a point to his abilities as a performer to take a character like Link who has so many traits that are outwardly antagonistic to the story progress and make him fun and entertaining and not just 'jesus Link's doing the thing again'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pennsylvanian posted:

Yeah, a lot of APs have had "no" characters, which was a problem that TAZ and CR ran into at different times. Matt seems to get that low energy needs to be balanced with traits that help push things along.

yea it probably helps that the whole cast is so good at balancing 'no I'm gonna actually gently caress around for a bit' and 'alright we should see what's going on with the plot' so they know when to just grab his characters and go 'shut up, plot time' if they get a little too road-blocky.

Honestly this whole season has massively grown on me, the start was a bit awkward as everyone was getting a handle on things but the dynamic is fantastic now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Snowy posted:

Matt was weird but he’s been so consistently fantastic he can do whatever he wants :colbert:

yea I truly have no idea what he in or out of character thought the endgame to 'JUST DRINK THE PUS OKAY????' was but it was hilarious so I'm not complaining!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Matt's genuine fear of engaging with time travel stories is my favorite thing and I hope every single campaign and side show they do involves time travel just to keep giving us moments like 'I believe you'll find the co-ordinates have changed...wait no they wouldn't that's not how this works...I just wanted to buy dresses guys'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
love the guy going 'careful, he's crafty!'