Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Huh, episode seems to be on their site but still hasn't popped up on my feed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

i can't believe dungeons and daddies fought the real life boss baby

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

some truly baffling decisions from matt lol

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

i am so baffled by matt's play this session like my whole reaction to this episode was ??????????????????????

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

im getting a little tired by: Scary doesn't want to be on the team! -> Link does something suicidal to demonstrate his love, momentarily calming Scary! -> Scary doesn't want to be on the team! -> Link does something suicidal to demonstrate his love, momentarily calming Scary! -> Scary doesn't want to be on the team!

and i know that scary is a teenager in a show where stakes don't matter, but it's a little hard to justify people wanting her around when she's directly responsible for killing a man they spent episodes humanizing, is constantly lovely to everyone, has tried to kill the teens multiple times, and now almost burned down Normal's house and almost killed his mom on a lark. it doesn't make sense why all these teens are desperate for Scary to stay around, except for the external meta reason that they don't want to have Beth reroll a character

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 17, 2023

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

well, im glad the show is no longer the "Scary Betrayal Power Hour" but the trip to goof realm was, uh, not exactly what i hoped for

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

i unsubscribed because i really wasn't feeling it anymore and the podcast has been kind of narratively and tonally all over the place. may resubscribe again if the main feed starts jelling as a cohesive whole again.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

if they're so disinterested in combat, i think a different system would probably help, but i think the larger problem is the absence of a specific overarching goal that players can meaningfully work for and use to measure their success. like, the first season had an in-built progress bar in the form of "how many children have we gathered" that it stuck with but season two has jumped from A to B to C seemingly at random. the (relatively) recent addition of the anchors seems like an attempt to rectify that, but i don't get the sense that the players view them as especially compelling.

that's not to say that there can't be individually fun moments in between here, but i would have some difficulty trying to explain the logic of this piece

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

im not listening to comedy d&d podcasts for high drama and emotion, but it can be effectively deployed when used sparingly. dimension 20 mostly does this well.

unfortunately, almost every one of the last dozen episodes has foregrounded high drama and extreme tragedy in a way that feels very limiting. the players are all talented individuals, but i don't think any of them (except maybe Will and Beth) are able to improv intense emotion.

will also say the season also lacks a Ron-like character who can insert levity whenever things get a little too self-serious.

goblin week posted:

Well, for example, the tumblr fandom has been basically nonexistent prior to season 2, and it is bustling now

shocked that tumblr didn't want to draw a bunch of middle-aged, khaki-clad dads but are falling over themselves to depict emotionally unstable teenagers

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 18, 2023

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

had thought this was what freddy was alluding to when he mentioned on one of the bonus episodes that he was trying out a different character voice for a "project: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9riE94Kkwq4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

i have like zero idea what this show is about anymore