Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Marsupial Ape posted:

That was the most inspired thing I had heard in any D&D podcast.

That whole episode was just bananas yeah. I really appreciate this podcast's willingness to take big risks and then just live in the consequences, you never really know what's going to happen (or sometimes, which game they'll be playing) week to week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I've fallen behind on this podcast, and I just got a patreon notification for a special called "Gungans & Daddies: All That Jizz" and man, I gotta catch up, i love these weirdos

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I started listening to the Star Wars bonus eps and it is a banger right out of the gate

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Anthony’s Star Wars alien voice talent is unreal

E: the end of part 1 is savage

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 18, 2021

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

i'm still catching up, but i just listened to the talking dad ep last night where they talked about doing a bodyswap episode, so it was very funny to see the name of today's episode pop up in my feed this morning

like as soon as they started discussing the idea i was like "oh boy i bet they're actually going to do this" and then they started saying "we're definitely going to do this" and i can't wait

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm finally caught up on the podcast and oh my god it's so good, Anthony is an absolute genius with the things he does to keep the podcast fresh (tbf some of the ideas are born in talking dad, but he does an amazing job of making the "haha wouldn't it be funny if" actually work).

Freddie and Jimmy's sibling rivalry spilling over (playfully) into their characters' relationship is amazing to listen to, and the body swap only made it more incredible. I also loved the choice in the Books Castle arc of having the stakes be "if you run out of HP i'm going to make you learn how to play real d&d" and beth having ron hide in a corner so that she wouldn't have to do it

I also agree that there's no way that the initial round of body swaps was randomly chosen; glenn & jodie was too perfect to not be a handpicked choice, and I get the sense that he gave Darryl to Beth because she is vocally on the record about not really enjoying the actual "game" of d&d and probably would not have had much fun playing as a caster class who has to keep track of spells and stuff. Although I guess she has to now, so we'll see how that goes

Also, Anthony's Elizabeth Warren impression kind of sounds like george w bush

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

it took me a while to stop hearing griffin mcelroy every time freddie laughed, but i'm past it now

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Catching up on the show and I've just listened to last week's Talking Dad; Beth's rendition of the moth joke was ok but if you haven't heard norm mcdonald do it, you simply must https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJN9mBRX3uo

I feel a deep kinship with whichever one of the daddies it was who immediately said "moth joke?" when she mentioned norm mcdonald, that is my key association with him as well

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

timp posted:

I love that they pulled a (Late TAZ Spoiler) Poisoning Raging Flaming Sword of Doom with the All or Nothing Coin on the Maul

I was thinking the same thing haha. Also I was slightly intrigued by Anthony's grooming update from the previous week's episode, where he described it "being clean like an ice luge" or something like that, but after this week's update I'm out again

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

flavor.flv posted:

Still going through the old episodes, and holy poo poo this got heavy

who's your daddy now

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Anthony has a lot of balls to keep in the air on account of having to play all the kids and NPCs, but the thing I respect him for the most is managing to remember which one is lark and which one is sparrow because I don't think I ever will

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Snowy posted:

I know one of them likes Yeet but I couldn’t say which

I thought that was Grant, Darryl's kid

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

flavor.flv posted:

Hard disagree. Getting dumped into the scenario like that was the best idea they've ever had

Soysaucebeast posted:

Yeah, I thought I was having a stroke at first, but that sense of wtf really helped sell the episode for me. It was really well done.

Same, the whole not addressing it thing combined with only one player (and that player being Ron) failing the check made it so much more memorable than if I as an audience member knew what was happening the entire time. It's been a minute since I've listened to the episode, but they even included Ash in the pre-episode banter without calling attention to it as being weird, didn't they? That made it even funnier imo, it still would have been good even if I did immediately know what the joke was, but it was so much better how they did it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I was not prepared for what Freddie did, caught me completely off guard

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Soysaucebeast posted:

Yea, this is the post I saw, and there were some comments with more info. Looking at it again, it's more people being uncomfortable with them having a younger audience and Travis repeatedly asking for listener's OnlyFans with some other little stuff thrown in for flavor. I've just realized that I haven't enjoyed TAZ for a while now, and Travis has always been the weakest link of the three, so I just bailed on it. I still listen to some of the boy's other stuff (I love me some Sawbones) but I just don't listen to anything Travis is on anymore.

I don't want to turn a good thread into the horrible mcelroy thread, but I think it's premature to cancel him as a sex pest over this. I suppose he could be, but based on everything we know about Travis so far, it seems more likely that this is his clumsy attempt to be sex positive and support SWs (but with no awareness of how people will read into his behavior, which is a common thread with him over the years) than a desire to creep on fans.

I suppose you never know a guy so he could be, but I don't think I see it quite yet

e: vv lol

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 17, 2021

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Pennsylvanian posted:

It's always weird how good Matt's little fill-ins for Darryl's character are. I loved the bit about the Pledge of Alliegance.

Yeah, Beth has the title of the funniest one, and I agree, but Matt is really really sharp in a more subtle way, he's really quick to slip in a joke about some weird little in-character thing that Darryl would do based on his personality ("sorry we turned into a bird" etc).

I also enjoyed him in the trial arc, where Darryl's behavior whipped back and forth between his hatred for Willie (or whichever dad was the judge) and his innate respect for and deference to the authority of the position of Judge every time he had to talk to him.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I love how many times they've done the jezzball thing, it makes me laugh every time. Will should have never told anthony that he hates it, that was where he went wrong

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I wonder if he pulled any of those moments from his own life; he seemed affected by them in a pretty personal way.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

yea I don't know poo poo about his personal life (the, uh, the parts that weren't dragged out during that whole crazy period ages ago) but he's either a really good actor or was at least in some way touching on something he had pretty major empathy for. Like, I'd fully believe 'no he's just really good at setting a scene and as a functional human being describing a parade of tragedy and abuse for a child just kinda got to him' but man when he got choked up that hit hard.

Yeah I don't usually cry at d&d podcasts (a strange sentence to type, but the opportunity has come up several times now in my life so I know how I react) but you usually don't hear the DM breaking at their own story; that caught me off guard and got me a little misty eyed. And of course anything dog-related is just a sucker punch, feelingswise (at least he didn't kill it)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Given Anthony's warning about not pulling punches for the final act, I'm starting to get worried about Ron, because Beth famously and self-admittedly has no interest in learning how to actually play D&D (no disrespect to this attitude, it's not always the most fun game to play, mechanically)

I also noticed that Anthony was tweeting about actually reading through the D&D manuals lately, and now I guess we know why

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Pennsylvanian posted:

Also, Matt's banner image on Twitter is pretty :stare:

On desktop at least, his profile image is in just precisely the wrong place

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/anthony_burch/status/1420995163082477573?s=20

i can't wait

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

god this could mean so many things, Dungeons and Daddies probably has the highest amount of absolute 'wait why are you doing that...noooo...nooooooooooooo' from the GM and I love it.

My gut reaction is that it's gonna be henry turning into a bird to cheat at football or casting sunlight on a vampire all over again

I feel bad for DMs trying to write their own campaigns and encounters, it seems impossible to account for all the dumb bullshit that high level d&d casters can do. I'm reminded of the crystal kingdom arc of the adventure zone which had a moment like:

Griffin: ...and you encounter a giant crystal monster, and you can tell just by looking at it that it's invincible, so don't even bother trying to atta--

Justin: I cast "shatter crystal"

Griffin: *flipping through pages* ok. ok. uhhh

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

eke out posted:

lol i still think the most impressive bullshit i've ever seen pulled live is laura bailey completely successfully tricking matt mercer and 100% solving his climactic encounter with a major villain via an obscure, extremely minor magic item she got a year before that and the modify memory spell

second place goes to like 100 different things emily pulled on naddpod

Balnor, what's your favorite food?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

i can't believe we have to wait a week and a half for this

https://twitter.com/HeyBethMay/status/1421171582551027712?s=20

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dr Christmas posted:

The latest Talking Dads doesn’t have Anthony, and the cast is almost giddy discussing their plans to pull something over on him.

seems like it might have worked:

Ainsley McTree posted:

i can't believe we have to wait a week and a half for this

https://twitter.com/HeyBethMay/status/1421171582551027712?s=20

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

i can't wait to see how anthony fucks em back

he can't let it go unanswered

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The latest talking dad gets into some of the alternate plans that they had to screw with anthony, and it's pretty wild; apparently they were this close to using an AI to deepfake his voice

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ANTHONY

(ep 66) Though I will say that if they had to kill one of the dads, Glenn probably is the easiest one to lose, if for nothing else than because we don't have to have any heartbreaking scenes about a son losing their dad. There's been enough crying already dammit

I wonder if there's anything they could have done there? I imagine if they were faster on the draw, maybe they could have stopped it, they managed to burn through 2/3 of his legendary resistances in 15 seconds which is pretty rad under pressure. And props to Beth, who is on record as hating the actual game of D&D, for thinking quick under pressure in a pretty drat hard situation and doing something mechanically useful against an endgame boss; I am also playing a rogue in my first campaign, and my usual approach to situations in this ballpark is "i don't have magic so I'm just gonna be quiet and let the casters figure out what to do." I am also impressed at how calm Freddie was there. I hope they let him play an NPC or something for the finale

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 9, 2021

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Marsupial Ape posted:

You know Glenn is going directly to Hell to be reunited with his son and then erupt back onto the Material Plane with a magic Hell guitar or some poo poo, right?

I dunno! Anthony seemed pretty straightforward that he wanted to create an endgame scenario where some of the players could actually die, and he seems like the type of guy to follow through on that kind of thing; if I were a betting man, I'd put my money on Glenn being gone for good. Maybe a little easter egg side scene of Glenn in the afterlife, but I don't think he's coming back to affect things on the material plane

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Pennsylvanian posted:

This sounds mean, but they could have prepared better. It feels like Anthony has been trying to nudge them over the past few episodes saying "Willy has a dragon/army/nuke/etc." while all that the daddies had were their Fyre Fest joke army, a spy, and a plan that could easily, easily go wrong (and ended up not working anyway). The rest of the time they mostly spent doing therapy role-play. Freddie spent time actually beefing up his character. I'm oversimplifying what they've been trying to do, but the group has not been using its time wisely if Anthony is being 100% truthful about how he plans to conduct the endgame. I think this may have been his final warning that "The gloves are really and truly off."

It also sounded like Anthony's behind-the-scenes rolls for whatever he's doing for the bad guys were pretty powerful; dunno if that affects what happened in ep 66 though

I'm also just realizing that the previous episode ended with Freddie literally saying "I hosed so good I can no longer be killed in one shot" lol. High level wizards are a bitch

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

I dunno! Anthony seemed pretty straightforward that he wanted to create an endgame scenario where some of the players could actually die, and he seems like the type of guy to follow through on that kind of thing; if I were a betting man, I'd put my money on Glenn being gone for good. Maybe a little easter egg side scene of Glenn in the afterlife, but I don't think he's coming back to affect things on the material plane

lol

also, it occurs to me that if this is the penultimate episode, then this campaign will end on episode 69

also also this is the third actual play podcast i've listened to (and i listen to 5) where it's revealed like 50+ episodes in that nobody knew how sneak attacked work. it's a major part of the rogue's damage, it's really important!!

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 8, 2021

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Trojan Kaiju posted:

I loved Beth being like "okay Anthony is taking this seriously so I should learn how to actually play this game" and then I'm pretty sure she accidentally broke it the other way because I don't think they realized sneak attack is only once per turn? Which like fair game, honest mistake when y'all have spent with years not knowing what it even was.

I mean she's owed a few back sneak attacks, it's fair. And it's not like they were ever really playing by the book anyway so honestly who cares

eke out posted:

i feel like advantage sneak attack is one of the least successful things about 5e and it's really apparent just from how commonly hosed up it is even by experienced players and DMs

(also i kinda miss the 3.5 rules where a well positioned rogue could alpha strike something to death with multiple sneak attacks per turn, now you have to be a paladin or someone with action surge to do that)

They should've just renamed it, "sneak attack" makes it sound like you can only do it from stealth (which is a reasonable thing to assume given what the rogue's whole archetype is). It should be called like, exploit weakness or something, you can and should be trying to get one in on every round of combat if you want to pull your weight as a rogue I feel like.

I might just be fixated on podcasts loving up sneak attack though, because I've only played one d&d campaign and my character is a rogue, so I'm used to reflexively asking "and i get a sneak attack, right?" every time i stab someone and it's always funny to me when podcast players don't realize until 1,000 hours in how the mechanic is supposed to work

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Part 2 is out; haven't listened to it yet but my god the title is perfect

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

go doodlers

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Just Chamber posted:

The ending felt a bit anti climatic to me however the epilogue was pretty awesome.

The whole podcast has just been awesome really. It's the only D&D podcast I've listened through completely without growing bored and giving up on it or having to come back to finish it later down the line.

I kinda feel the same about the ending now that I’ve had some time to think about it. it was fine, I didn’t hate it, I just think it felt very “safe” compared to some of the bigger swings this podcast has taken; especially in light of Anthony’s constant “I’m gonna take the gloves off” warnings. He did kill Glenn, to his credit, but then Glenn came back (sort of, anyway, he reentered the narrative anyway) and everyone basically got a happy ending. It’s fine, I don’t have strong feelings about it, it just wasn’t as good as the rest of the podcast was. Endings are hard though, especially when you can’t control what your protagonists do and events are decided by dice rolls, i don’t hold anything against anyone

That post credits scene though

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I dunno if I agree with that, but some of his tweets do make me worry about his mental health

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm only on episode 2 of fetch quest but I think anthony missed his calling as an insult comic

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I've never seen a single second of entourage, so I was worried this episode wouldn't be fun for me, but those doubts were completely misplaced

I think i've figured out the show fairly quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Matt is seriously good, he does an amazing job of tapping into the character and reacting off-the-cuff in the way that the character would, even if it's not good for the problem that the players are trying to solve. Like in the trial arc, where he seemed torn between hating Bill but having a natural urge to defer to him because Darryl respects authority figures, or the entourage one-shot where Darryl has a full on catholic guilt mental breakdown because he got a handjob from meadow soprano

He's also really quick with little stingers like "sorry we turned into a bird" in the football episode

I do agree that the show is more fun when they're trying to make each other laugh rather than cry, but I don't think they ever lost sight of the fun of the show, even at the end. And the last week f talking dads has me somewhat confident that they're aware of the trap that they could potentially fall into at the beginning of season 2, the TAZ thing of "ok we've finished season 1, here's what resonated with the fans, let's try to do that again;" I think one of the things they mentioned was that for the first batch of season 1 episodes, they recorded them all before the first one was released, so they were working without knowing what the audience was reacting to, and I think one of them floated the idea of doing something similar for season 2 to make sure that their focus is on having fun with each other rather than trying to be keeping up with feedback or whatever.

I feel confident that season 2 will be good, naddpod proved that that's possible for a comedy d&d podcast and I think the dadpod crew can do it too.