Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
What it says on the tin. I noticed this on tumblr the other day. like a huge number of really talented artists like drawing these things. I never read these books.

--

caitercates

offishwhite

shoomlah

fleetwoodbrak

dailycryptodrawings

kikidoodle

ch-rry-b-mb

c-rowlesdraws

bluehedron

sphenodontia

gaeree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Worth plugging, but there's currently a Let's Read megathread underway in TBB that's covering the whole series book-by-book including all the side books.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
While I tend not to entertain counterfactuals, I am 100% certain that if the Animorph books had been released 10 years earlier they would have absolutely defined my childhood.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

WAKE UP SHEEPLE!
andalitetruth.org

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

VinylonUnderground posted:

While I tend not to entertain counterfactuals, I am 100% certain that if the Animorph books had been released 10 years earlier they would have absolutely defined my childhood.

Can confirm since I'm apparently 10 years younger than you and that's what they did for me. I really want to reread them but I'm also terrified they might not hold up

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
Seriously. I haven't read animorphs but it seems really cool and broadly leftist or at least amenable to leftist ideology.

I had loving Redwall. I'm lucky that I did not end up as a Nazi, though at least it did give us what is probably the best front page article ever.

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/bargain-book-bin-3/

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

VinylonUnderground posted:

Seriously. I haven't read animorphs but it seems really cool and broadly leftist or at least amenable to leftist ideology.

I had loving Redwall. I'm lucky that I did not end up as a Nazi, though at least it did give us what is probably the best front page article ever.

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/bargain-book-bin-3/

Kathrine Applegate and Michael Grant are both turbo lefty and probably two of the best "Your kids have probably heard of me" YA authors out there politically.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
I was too old, but I picked up my brothers' books and got hooked. Eventually lost interest due to the inconsistent nature of the books. One book would have good worldbuilding, interestingly detailed alien species, well-paced plot, then the next would be some rear end-pulled idea, idiot ball characters, and corny action. Blame it on the ghostwriters, I guess.

For children's literature, those had some really messed up parts. Body horror, PTSD, child soldiers, grief...amazing what you can get away with if you don't have sex or naughty words in them.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I only ever encountered the nickelodeon show, but those blue guys are way cooler than na'vi

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Lol, I knew someone would post that.

Some of the later (after #10 or so, IIRC) books clearly describe Andalites as having torsos. It does seem plausible that Applegate didn't originally think of them that way, though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You'd think andalite legs would be a lot thicker because they have to fit a whole esophagus running through there.

I recently found out that there was a whole line of animorphs toys, and most of them are pretty bad and don't do a good job of hiding the bits from different modes.

http://tfu.info/series/animorphs.htm

Hallo, I am your evverage teenaged boy. I am not a bert.

The happy meal toys actually look better because they just have the entire animal mode on the back

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Once the line was cancelled, they apparently just released the unused molds as regular-rear end Transformers. One of them even kept the Andalite head:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

As a kid I remember being grateful how how unapologetically bugshit the Animorphs aliens got to be. Everything else was Star Wars/Star Trek where 95% of the aliens are obviously just dudes in suits.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Yeah, the "I started out on a flying island playing multiplayer Spore and accidentally wound up with godlike powers" story was a trip.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I remember reading that Taxxons somehow evolved natural wheels, as part of how weird they are, but none of the depictions I've seen of them reflect that.

I wonder what the relation between Stargate and Animorphs is. They both share the whole villains as brain parasites sort of thing, but they both came out at almost the same time. The Stargate movie was in 1994 while Animorphs started in 1996, but I think the nature of the Goa'uld was only really established in SG-1 that started in 1997. Also in Stargate the original Goa'uld hosts were stronger but just had less dextrous hands, while it's a big point in Animorphs that the original Yeerk hosts, the Gedd, are just total garbage compared to their later hosts.

I don't really remember what Animorphs FTL was like either to say whether it was like a stargate.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't really remember what Animorphs FTL was like either to say whether it was like a stargate.

IIRC, Andalite ships at least popped into an alternate dimension to travel and then popped back out, like in Babylon 5.

This alternate dimension was also, coincidentally, where the Animorphs stored their extra mass if they changed into a smaller animal.

So what happens if an Andalite ship plows into your extra body parts while they're being stored in hyperspace? Uh...Don't worry about it, the chances are suuuuuper small that it would ever happen and you shouldn't even think about it!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
So animorphs takes place in the warhammer 40k universe

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I was the right age for, but never read an animorph. What the heck is an Andalite, besides some weird centaur thing?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

SlothfulCobra posted:

I remember reading that Taxxons somehow evolved natural wheels, as part of how weird they are, but none of the depictions I've seen of them reflect that.

that was a different alien.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I did a few more for fun with some different designs. I'm probably done now but it was fun to try it out :)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Some Goon posted:

I was the right age for, but never read an animorph. What the heck is an Andalite, besides some weird centaur thing?

all I really gather is they're some shapeshifters who can give shapeshifting powers to teens to fight a war against brain bugs

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Pick posted:

all I really gather is they're some shapeshifters who can give shapeshifting powers to teens to fight a war against brain bugs

Also if I remember right from reading those books however loving long ago they end up also being giant assholes that almost nuke earth in said war like a year later or something

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah the whole series is framed as fighting a delaying action until they can come liberate Earth but by the time the fleet shows up they're just planning on exterminatus

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Some Goon posted:

Andalites are an extremely technologically advanced race of blue centaur people. They're a highly hierarchical but also democratic species that put a fair degree of emphasis on arts and sciences in their society, as we'll as a love of nature so intense their capital ships take giant city sized domes of open prairie with them on campaign. They're also generally pretty arrogant and self-righteous as a rule, seeing themselves as the pinnacle of both physical and intellectual evolution. The morphing thing is a technology they developed.

The backstory for the animorphs series (without spoiling anything) is that the Andalites are fighting a massive interstellar war againat a parasitic race called the Yeerks which can invade sentient bodies and control their brains. It's a war the Andalites are not doing super great with because until the war started they were not an especially militaristic society, so while the Yeerks themselves are an upstart empire their only real rival has been mobilizing rather slowly in comparison to their expansion, leaving them perpetually on the back foot.

This culminates in a major battle over Earth which the Andalites lose. This is super bad because the Adalites can't spare any more forces anytime soon because theyre fighting on so many other fronts (as well as for other reasons which are spoilers). The last survivor of the Andalite Fleet, understanding that without some opposition Earth will fall before Andalite reinforcements arrive, enlists some local teens as partisans by giving them the Morphing Tech just before his death at the hands of the Yeerk commander.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

And they eat with their feet or something

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sanguinia posted:

The last survivor of the Andalite Fleet, understanding that without some opposition Earth will fall before Andalite reinforcements arrive, enlists some local teens as partisans by giving them the Morphing Tech just before his death at the hands of the Yeerk commander.

I think his little Brother ends up surviving stranded on Earth too.

Most of the drama in the series is about the teens having to deal with adults who have slugs in their brains so it intensifies all the usual teen/adult conflicts. The alien slugs love humans for hosts because they're dextrous and hardy, unlike their original Gedd hosts, but also there's billions of them to harvest unlike the Hork'Bajir who are nearly extinct, and they're totally defenseless unlike Andalites.

I'm pretty sure I stopped reading the books a while before the end, but the point I got to, the story had pivoted a lot towards some kind of extradimensional space god who wanted to recruit the teenagers with attitude for his own conflict with his rival/enemy/old buddy from extradimensional space god high school.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think his little Brother ends up surviving stranded on Earth too.

Most of the drama in the series is about the teens having to deal with adults who have slugs in their brains so it intensifies all the usual teen/adult conflicts. The alien slugs love humans for hosts because they're dextrous and hardy, unlike their original Gedd hosts, but also there's billions of them to harvest unlike the Hork'Bajir who are nearly extinct, and they're totally defenseless unlike Andalites.

I'm pretty sure I stopped reading the books a while before the end, but the point I got to, the story had pivoted a lot towards some kind of extradimensional space god who wanted to recruit the teenagers with attitude for his own conflict with his rival/enemy/old buddy from extradimensional space god high school.

Well, I WAS trying to be spoiler free! :colbert:

Anyway I wouldn't describe the Evil Space God plot as a "pivot," its more of a B plot that ties into the A plot unexpectedly.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
The series gave me a new appreciation for biology. And cinnamon buns.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
So do earth animals exist on the andalite homeworld? Also if they are already horse people then what's the benefit of turning into like, a deer or a dog? I feel like a horse can fight as good or better than most animals. Especially as a horse person would avoid some of the normal pitfalls of idiotic regular horses like "saw a lizard and died"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

So do earth animals exist on the andalite homeworld? Also if they are already horse people then what's the benefit of turning into like, a deer or a dog? I feel like a horse can fight as good or better than most animals. Especially as a horse person would avoid some of the normal pitfalls of idiotic regular horses like "saw a lizard and died"

You have to manually absorb the DNA from an animal, so Andalites wouldn't have Earth animals. Its also generally implied they originally used it more for espionage than combat

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I wonder what the relation between Stargate and Animorphs is. They both share the whole villains as brain parasites sort of thing, but they both came out at almost the same time. The Stargate movie was in 1994 while Animorphs started in 1996, but I think the nature of the Goa'uld was only really established in SG-1 that started in 1997. Also in Stargate the original Goa'uld hosts were stronger but just had less dextrous hands, while it's a big point in Animorphs that the original Yeerk hosts, the Gedd, are just total garbage compared to their later hosts.

I don't think there's much of a connection. The Yeerks exist to be a classic 90s conspiracy theory plot for the intrepid teens to fight against.

The Gouaold exist because they needed a TV show villain that made sense in the context of the movie and didn't need a lot of makeup.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I def remember that the horse man aliens didn't morph for combat at all because they were more than good enough in fights on their own on account of being horses that carried and aimed laser assault rifles and had bladed tails that could cut through armor and poo poo

In fact I don't remember there ever being an adequate explanation for why they made cubes that let them turn into other animals randomly because they kinda didn't need it

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 8, 2021

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

The main bad guy, Visser 3, is the only Yeerk to ever capture an Andalite, and he used the morphing power to travel to every death world in the galaxy and acquire every horrible super monster form he could think of. It's a very big problem for our heroes and somehow the Andalite never thought of it because they think they're own bodies are so great and perfect.

The humans similarly appreciate the myriad uses of animal biology and being able to call upon literally any animal superpower at any time in a way the Andalites totally fail to since they're imperious douches, its a fun motif through the whole series

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's canonically stated that everywhere else but Earth has like near-zero biodiversity, so both the Yeerks and Andalites (and every other species they drag along with them) are utterly overwhelmed by how much life there is here. To the point where one Yeerk that captures Jake for half a book has a full on screaming rager meltdown over it and how everything from ants to owls keep foiling his plans.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

This is probably my favorite take on the andalites:

https://jayrockin.tumblr.com/tagged/andalite

It's also the most accurate to the one in the books :smug:

StratGoatCom fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 8, 2021

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Now that's what I was talking about with needing thicker legs to fit the ingestion equipment! Although I never thought of how horrifying footmouths would be. Weird that if the writer had a more deerlike idea in mind they never tried clarifying with the publisher and whatever artist that was hired.

Psycho Landlord posted:

In fact I don't remember there ever being an adequate explanation for why they made cubes that let them turn into other animals randomly because they kinda did need it

I thought there was some kinda thing where Andalites are like space elves who appreciate nature and poo poo in their weird space elf way that maybe you human readers could learn from, hint hint.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

SlothfulCobra posted:

Now that's what I was talking about with needing thicker legs to fit the ingestion equipment! Although I never thought of how horrifying footmouths would be. Weird that if the writer had a more deerlike idea in mind they never tried clarifying with the publisher and whatever artist that was hired.

I thought there was some kinda thing where Andalites are like space elves who appreciate nature and poo poo in their weird space elf way that maybe you human readers could learn from, hint hint.

It was originally reconstructive medicine for the crippled IIRC, then some War Prince had a 'what are the military applications?'

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The thing that always bugged me is that I could never really picture how they fought with the tails in a way that makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

StashAugustine posted:

The thing that always bugged me is that I could never really picture how they fought with the tails in a way that makes sense

butt towards enemy, with eye stalks turned to provide vision