Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Welcome to White Space.
You have been living here for as long as you can remember.

OMORI is a surreal psychological horror RPG made by artist/anime fashion designer Omocat. It was kickstarted way the heck back in 2014 and was released on Christmas Day, 2020. Its soundtrack was made by Slimegirls and Clover & Sealife (formerly Space Boyfriend). It also contains guest tracks by artists such as bo en, Toby Fox, and Aivi & Surasshu. OMORI is available on the Nintendo Switch and Steam.

2014 Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erzgjfU271g

2020 Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyVv-jFJiJ8

Okay, but what is OMORI?
Earthbound + Yume Nikki + SPROUT MOLES

That's not helpful.
OMORI is a game about the titular character Omori and his best friends in the whole world. In the game, you will explore layers of Omori's reality, dreamspace, and psyche.

The game warns you upon startup that it contains depictions of depression, anxiety, and suicide.

Characters
Omori
A very stoic boy with an active imagination. Mari's little brother. Fights with a knife.

Kel
Dumbass with a heart of gold. Hero's little brother. Fights with a kickball.

Aubrey
Will take absolutely zero of Kel's poo poo. Swings around blunt objects like stuffed toys or hammers.

Hero
Kel's older brother. Very supportive and soothing. Fights with cooking utensils.

Mari
Omori's older sister. Always taking care of everyone. Loves to throw picnics.

Basil
The softest boy. Really likes plants and instant photography.

Gameplay
OMORI uses traditional turn-based RPG combat. However, it contains unique gameplay mechanics that help connect its combat to its overall story and ideas. Over the course of combat, a meter will fill that can be spent to perform team attacks based on each character. For instance, Kel can pass his kickball to another friend for a follow-up attack, or Aubrey can cheer a friend on to affect their status. Depending on which friend you target, your team attack will have a slightly different effect. At maximum gauge, an all-out attack can be performed.

The game also features 4 primary emotions, which have a variety of effects on both friends and foes alike!

Hangman?? Routes???
The game has multiple endings depending on your actions throughout the game, but there are really only 2 actual routes. The Hangman mini-game can only be 100%ed on the Alternate route.

The following spoiler tags contain the bare minimum information on how to access each route:
Unlock True Ending: Answer the door for all 3 days.
Unlock Alternate Ending: Do not answer the door for all 3 days.
For a little bonus, remember to Help out in Basil's garden often!

Arts

https://i.imgur.com/APc2wh5.mp4

NOTE: Please be very diligent about spoiler tags when discussing this game, as due to its nature it is a very easy game to spoil. Thank you.

Cephas fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
gonna buy this

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
wish i'd waited for a few patches, especially the text speed-up. lotta chit-chatting in this game and the text moved just a little bit too slowly

new players should also note that there is a ton of perma-missable content, so be diligent when interacting with stuff

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

I backed this game on Kickstarter so I'm excited it finally came out! For those that have beat it, about how long is it?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

gently caress SNEEP posted:

I backed this game on Kickstarter so I'm excited it finally came out! For those that have beat it, about how long is it?

my first playthrough took me around 28 hours, and i still missed a sizable chunk of content. that's not even counting the second route

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah about 22 hours on my end and that's even with skipping a lot of the side quests and reaching a point where I just actively started avoiding enemies because I reached a point where it just wasn't worth it anymore.

Game's great! I think the actual RPG mechanics are the weakest part but even those are fine and the story, characters, and world are all fantastic.

also real talk that "little bonus" mentioned in the OP is something that you should really just get regardless imo. It's a thing I feel is narratively important and kind of a bummer folks can just miss it.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jan 29, 2021

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I'm loving this game! Its way more solid as an rpg than I expected it to be.

For anyone who's beaten the game, is there a good opportunity near the end to backtrack and complete side quests? I just finished Last Resort and I'm wondering when is a good time since I have a lot of these piled up.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ventana posted:

I'm loving this game! Its way more solid as an rpg than I expected it to be.

For anyone who's beaten the game, is there a good opportunity near the end to backtrack and complete side quests? I just finished Last Resort and I'm wondering when is a good time since I have a lot of these piled up.

there's an obvious Very Bad Thing you will have to check out that serves as a point of no return for Headspace (you're like 2 or 3 dungeons away from it still), but everything in Faraway Town is perma-missable and builds on itself, so if you didn't knock on the right door on Day 1 you're going to miss a heap of sidequests/achievements for the last day

also bear in mind that 3 of the Hangman letters are exclusive to the game's alternate route

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Oxxidation posted:

there's an obvious Very Bad Thing you will have to check out that serves as a point of no return for Headspace (you're like 2 or 3 dungeons away from it still), but everything in Faraway Town is perma-missable and builds on itself, so if you didn't knock on the right door on Day 1 you're going to miss a heap of sidequests/achievements for the last day

also bear in mind that 3 of the Hangman letters are exclusive to the game's alternate route

That's kinda what I figured about (big spoiler) Faraway town since I think I missed a lot of stuff in general there.

Though I'm confused about the Hangman Keys. Does that mean you can only finish the phrase on the alternate route? I'm missing the last 2 keys for the phrase (I'm presuming it's W and T) right now. edit: oh I guess the op answered this, I just read that part wrong initially. Bummer!

Apologies for starting spoiler chat off the bat. This game gets so weird that it feels like you pretty much have to spoiler everything to decently talk about it. But the game does feel decently long and not too short.

Ventana fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 29, 2021

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Basically you don't need to worry about completing the Hangman phrase. You will eventually hit a wall where the game makes you go do it for progression..

Though if you only have W and T left then you'll get those after the end of the next real dungeon literally just handed to you.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

6 years to draw some characters in MS paint and import them into RPG maker. Lmao.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Haven't finished the game yet, but Nitrorad did a good video on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aJRzf6YTYQ

So far it's quite good, though.

Apple2o posted:

6 years to draw some characters in MS paint and import them into RPG maker. Lmao.

It's pretty mystifying, but I guess even doing 3-4 frames of animation for everything would've vastly increased the workload.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
The game's got so many illustrations and animated sequences, I think more than most indie RPGs I've played by a large magnitude. The boss battles are just such a treat in terms of art and music presentation. It looks like the art style and concept evolved a lot since its initial 2014 material, too (Omori got younger, everyone's noses disappeared, and the tone seemingly became more wholesome). I think the 2014 trailer might be where it shows the battle screen being almost exactly a copy of the Earthbound battle system compared to its finished form. The noisy lo-fi art style is so charming and unique. Plus, I dunno, sometimes life just happens. It kinda looks like taking care of her clothing shop might've taken priority for a couple years.

I'm pretty glad I didn't know a thing about the game until I saw it recommended on Steam when it came out, though. I went in not really expecting anything out of it other than a spooky creepypasta rpgmaker and was so pleasantly surprised

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The initial trailers definitely gave off a different vibe, for better or for worse.

I guess they're important for pacing but 70% of the game, the majority of the dream world just feels so much less interesting than what I actually care about, the stuff going on in Sunny's life

I'm not entirely sure what I'd change, but I do wonder how much things changed throughout the long, long dev time that might've been better off left alone.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Acerbatus posted:

The initial trailers definitely gave off a different vibe, for better or for worse.

I guess they're important for pacing but 70% of the game, the majority of the dream world just feels so much less interesting than what I actually care about, the stuff going on in Sunny's life

I'm not entirely sure what I'd change, but I do wonder how much things changed throughout the long, long dev time that might've been better off left alone.

I feel the same way and I think that's a result of themes inherent in the game. Once you realize everything in Headspace is a distraction it's hard not to feel like a waste of time, especially as the plots clearly become increasingly tenuous while they try to keep you off the trail.

That said like 90% of the good jokes are in that portion of the game, though.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
It's not all purely a distraction, unrelated to the story though, right? Like when Sunny reunites with Hero on Day 2, there's a point where you realize that Hero had to give up on being a cook so that he could study to become a doctor. And then you go to Last Resort, and the story there is that everyone got tangled up in Loan Shark's contracts that forced them to leave their old lives behind to be his slave. They're all missing from the Vast Forest playground and have left Omori behind, so it seems to imply that Sunny's idyllic dream safe space is getting slowly unraveled as he's seeing how people change in real life. Sweetheart and Space Boyfriend seem like they serve a kind of similar function, at times being a mirror of Mari and Hero's doomed relationship.

I'm curious to replay the game and do the hikkikomori route, because characters like Sweetheart feel like I can see where they're going but I'm not sure if I have them totally figured out. Like, Sweetheart is always looking for someone to love, and when she goes to the sea witches, she's trying to get them to use their magic/mad science to create a clone of herself. I feel like the idea of "a doomed experiment to let you love yourself" has a lot of relevance to what's going on in Sunny's life.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
anyone else think that it's weird that Sunny's mom never showed up in Headspace? could be that she did, but in a way I didn't recognize, though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cephas posted:

It's not all purely a distraction, unrelated to the story though, right? Like when Sunny reunites with Hero on Day 2, there's a point where you realize that Hero had to give up on being a cook so that he could study to become a doctor. And then you go to Last Resort, and the story there is that everyone got tangled up in Loan Shark's contracts that forced them to leave their old lives behind to be his slave. They're all missing from the Vast Forest playground and have left Omori behind, so it seems to imply that Sunny's idyllic dream safe space is getting slowly unraveled as he's seeing how people change in real life. Sweetheart and Space Boyfriend seem like they serve a kind of similar function, at times being a mirror of Mari and Hero's doomed relationship.

I'm curious to replay the game and do the hikkikomori route, because characters like Sweetheart feel like I can see where they're going but I'm not sure if I have them totally figured out. Like, Sweetheart is always looking for someone to love, and when she goes to the sea witches, she's trying to get them to use their magic/mad science to create a clone of herself. I feel like the idea of "a doomed experiment to let you love yourself" has a lot of relevance to what's going on in Sunny's life.

there's some relevance to real-world events in Headspace because it's based off Sunny's own mind, but the place itself is an elaborate funfair constructed by Omori to keep Sunny from thinking too hard about his past. that's why the distractions become increasingly sloppy and intrusive on Day Three - there's no transition between everything being normal and everyone running off to work for Jawsum, while Basil starts getting scrubbed from everyone's minds completely - and why characters who don't quite "fit" the illusion are either sealed away or violently dealt with. there's Basil himself, obviously, but Mr Outback also drops a few hints at the true nature of Headspace if you speak to him in Orange Oasis, and the next time you see him, he's been turned to sand

as for the alternate route, it involves the complete repression of the person who Sunny was in favor of continuing Omori's adventures, so the additional material for characters like Sweetheart and SB is fairly inane and doesn't have much in the way of deeper significance. that additional repression also unlocks more Black Space-adjacent areas, though, which do have some hints of Sunny's true self - but they've been locked away and left to rot, never to surface again

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Cephas posted:

The game's got so many illustrations and animated sequences, I think more than most indie RPGs I've played by a large magnitude. The boss battles are just such a treat in terms of art and music presentation. It looks like the art style and concept evolved a lot since its initial 2014 material, too (Omori got younger, everyone's noses disappeared, and the tone seemingly became more wholesome). I think the 2014 trailer might be where it shows the battle screen being almost exactly a copy of the Earthbound battle system compared to its finished form. The noisy lo-fi art style is so charming and unique. Plus, I dunno, sometimes life just happens. It kinda looks like taking care of her clothing shop might've taken priority for a couple years.

I've already said too many words about this in the Kickstarter thread, but I'm convinced that for the first ~3 years of development they were basically making a different game, then at some point they scrapped most of it and reused the parts for what we got.

It feels a little selfish, because I really did like the game we got, but there's part of me that still wishes I got a game that they pitched in the original kickstarter.

Cephas posted:

It's not all purely a distraction, unrelated to the story though, right? Like when Sunny reunites with Hero on Day 2, there's a point where you realize that Hero had to give up on being a cook so that he could study to become a doctor.

I'm also in the camp that the Headspace stuff was more than a distraction, even in the later acts. As a player, I found it important for really fleshing out the sense of the protagonists' earlier relationship. If the game didn't keep going back there, I don't think a lot of the drama in Faraway Town would have hit quite so hard.

Also I'm pretty sure the bit with Hero's cooking is even sadder than that. He seems to have stopped cooking because he used to cook with Mari.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Pavlov posted:

It feels a little selfish, because I really did like the game we got, but there's part of me that still wishes I got a game that they pitched in the original kickstarter.

I didn't even know there was a kickstarter until yesterday, is there a non-spoilery description of what was different from the original pitch and the finished product?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

Ventana posted:

I didn't even know there was a kickstarter until yesterday, is there a non-spoilery description of what was different from the original pitch and the finished product?

It's largely what Cephas described earlier. Most of the broad strokes are there, with the aesthetic and most of the main characters present. The main character is described to have a fairly different personality though, and tone seems to be leading in a fairly different direction. The game we got focuses a lot on loss, regret, and cherishing memories. The original pitch hinted more at malaise, loneliness, and existential dread; and implied there was a more overtly paranormal element to the story.

There's also a decent amount of evidence that Mari wasn't a central character in the original incarnation. The plot would have to have been fairly different to account for that.

The easiest example I can give is just to contrast the 2020 trailer with the 2014 trailer. Notice the elements they emphasize, the characters given (or not given) prominent screen time, and the actual content of words that flash across the screen. One of the things that got me to back the original kickstarter was actually the captivatingly bizarre choice of music in the original trailer. The 2020 trailer also has fairly compelling music, but it's a different kind of compelling, if that makes sense.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 30, 2021

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Pavlov posted:

It's largely what Cephas described earlier. Most of the broad strokes are there, with the aesthetic and most of the main characters present. The main character is described to have a fairly different personality though, and tone seems to be leading in a fairly different direction. The game we got focuses a lot on loss, regret, and cherishing memories. The original pitch hinted more at malaise, loneliness, and existential dread; and implied there was a more overtly paranormal element to the story.

There's also a decent amount of evidence that Mari wasn't a central character in the original incarnation. The plot would have to have been fairly different to account for that.

The easiest example I can give is just to contrast the 2020 trailer with the 2014 trailer. Notice the elements they emphasize, the characters given (or not given) prominent screen time, and the actual content of words that flash across the screen. One of the things that got me to back the original kickstarter was actually the captivatingly bizarre choice of music in the original trailer. The 2020 trailer also has fairly compelling music, but it's a different kind of compelling, if that makes sense.

The 2014 trailer still has Sunny, real world Aubrey, Faraway itself, and Ghost Mari and the production materials feature a lot of characters and symbolism that made it into the final game so I don't know how different the original plan actually was from the finished product. It's possible the Kickstarter blurb was bullshit made to obfuscate the real story.

The only thing we actually know for sure that was cut in production beyond some enemies still in the files is selecting the protagonist's gender which I imagine got axed because gently caress RPG Maker's code.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
So kind of a big spoiler for the alternative route but who the hell is Abbi in the abyss?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Weird BIAS posted:

So kind of a big spoiler for the alternative route but who the hell is Abbi in the abyss?

A bit character from the now deleted and forgotten Omori blog from circa 2012. In that, she's Omori's imaginary friend and tries to either keep him from killing himself or encourages him to kill himself it's not clear. Either way she fits the bill as one of the "original" creations according to the Branch Coral.

You can also briefly see her as a sprite in the 2014 trailer - she's the pigtailed cyclops.

Omocat's original Omori stuff is very different from the direction the game went and it seems she wiped a lot of it off the internet when the game kickstarter launched, other than a comic you can read on her site. Which is understandable as the original tumblr Omori blog is embarrassingly angsty teen livejournal-y.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 30, 2021

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Honestly since I can only speak to finding the game recently (or at least only having passing awareness of the Kickstarter) I’m really happy with what it is. Of the games that impressed me the most in 2020 it was a last addition to games of the year for me and it stands above many rpg maker games that have come out in recent years for presentation alone. OMORI really spoke to me own concerns and problems in a way that stood out.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

The 2014 trailer still has Sunny, real world Aubrey, Faraway itself, and Ghost Mari and the production materials feature a lot of characters and symbolism that made it into the final game so I don't know how different the original plan actually was from the finished product. It's possible the Kickstarter blurb was bullshit made to obfuscate the real story.

The only thing we actually know for sure that was cut in production beyond some enemies still in the files is selecting the protagonist's gender which I imagine got axed because gently caress RPG Maker's code.

I think they mention that they ditched gender-select because they didn't want to have to hand draw cut scenes and stuff twice. The backer updates do mention that they had a lot of trouble with RPG Maker's code on other things though. There were a few years of relative radio silence from the devs, but early on one of their big problems was upgrading from VXAce to MV.

I'd like to think that the kickstarter blurb wasn't bullshit. I'm more sympathetic to them having changed the plot sometime over the 6 year development than to have lied in the kickstarter pitch.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Oh related alt route spoilers there is an item that changes OMORI’s sprite running around to a twin pigtail sprite in underwater places only. It also immediately changes if you go to do anything fun like the mirrors so I was disappointed.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Weird BIAS posted:

Oh related alt route spoilers there is an item that changes OMORI’s sprite running around to a twin pigtail sprite in underwater places only. It also immediately changes if you go to do anything fun like the mirrors so I was disappointed.

which one is this? documentation on all these details is tough to find

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

I think you get it from one of the slime girls on the final headspace day I think. It’s called mystery potion.

E: confirmed medusa gives it if you get her materials to repair her body.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Turns out there's a hidden variable that effects whether or not you get some events? (Spoilers, obviously.)

I only saw up to the the fourth thing on my playthrough but watching a friend's I saw all the way up to the last item on the list.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The list of blocked names cracks me up just because i'm five who the gently caress would even think to use some of these?? What's wrong with Jawsum??

https://pastebin.pl/view/8d6e12ac

update: I cannot imagine making a game with this much content and this many slow animations, gently caress. :negative:

The recycler is like an insane anti-environmentalist message. :v:

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Feb 1, 2021

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I ended up binging this over the weekend and finished up tonight. There's no words really, this is probably one of the greatest games I've ever played. I've never had a game effect me on this level before. Is this how other people felt about Undertale??? Holy moly.

There is also no way in hell I could ever bring myself to doing the other route.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

Turns out there's a hidden variable that effects whether or not you get some events? (Spoilers, obviously.)

I only saw up to the the fourth thing on my playthrough but watching a friend's I saw all the way up to the last item on the list.

Wow, I saw all of these things in my playthrough. That's interesting.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is this how other people felt about Undertale???

Right down to the "I could never bring myself to do the other route".

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

The recycler is like an insane anti-environmentalist message. :v:

I think if you mash buttons it finishes faster.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I ended up binging this over the weekend and finished up tonight. There's no words really, this is probably one of the greatest games I've ever played. I've never had a game effect me on this level before. Is this how other people felt about Undertale??? Holy moly.

There is also no way in hell I could ever bring myself to doing the other route.

I played the game over the course of about a week or so and I can't stop thinking about the characters. The story is so intense and personal, it really feels like you're living with them (especially these days where it does kind of feel like living in White Space).

I keep thinking about the [MAJOR ENDING SPOILERS] final boss fight, and the way it builds up to those lines, "Hero loved her, and you killed her. Kel loved her, and you killed her. Aubrey loved her, and you killed her. You loved her, and you killed her." it's just about the most heartbreaking thing i've ever seen in a video game. and i think it works super well with the narrative taking place inside sunny's head. because you see how he truly feels about Mari, and it really is a pure love. In his mind, she's kind and loving and protective and nourishing, and his guilt over her death is so deep and all-consuming. It's such a poignant and emotionally-mature decision to make that fight unwinnable. Sunny can't destroy the grief and trauma that Omori represents, and the power it has over him is crushing. Instead of fighting against those feelings, the only way he's able to win is by enduring it and making peace with the truth.

it's easy to imagine an undertale-ish take on the ending where HOPE and FRIENDSHIP literally manifest themselves in the final boss fight, riding in on a rainbow, to save Sunny. And really, hope and friendship do save him in the end. But for that encounter, the game is willing to let you stare into the abyss of loneliness and despair he feels and capture his deepest struggle with himself.

it's so good

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cephas posted:

I played the game over the course of about a week or so and I can't stop thinking about the characters. The story is so intense and personal, it really feels like you're living with them (especially these days where it does kind of feel like living in White Space).

I keep thinking about the [MAJOR ENDING SPOILERS] final boss fight, and the way it builds up to those lines, "Hero loved her, and you killed her. Kel loved her, and you killed her. Aubrey loved her, and you killed her. You loved her, and you killed her." it's just about the most heartbreaking thing i've ever seen in a video game. and i think it works super well with the narrative taking place inside sunny's head. because you see how he truly feels about Mari, and it really is a pure love. In his mind, she's kind and loving and protective and nourishing, and his guilt over her death is so deep and all-consuming. It's such a poignant and emotionally-mature decision to make that fight unwinnable. Sunny can't destroy the grief and trauma that Omori represents, and the power it has over him is crushing. Instead of fighting against those feelings, the only way he's able to win is by enduring it and making peace with the truth.

it's easy to imagine an undertale-ish take on the ending where HOPE and FRIENDSHIP literally manifest themselves in the final boss fight, riding in on a rainbow, to save Sunny. And really, hope and friendship do save him in the end. But for that encounter, the game is willing to let you stare into the abyss of loneliness and despair he feels and capture his deepest struggle with himself.

it's so good

Yeah I agree entirely with everything you've wrote. The fact that they never actually tell/show you what the argument Sunny and Mari had was, was also a really good decision. It would have really hurt things to show it, and had our experience tainted by "taking a side" based on who was "in the right" or whatever. Honestly there's just like, a ton of things that they could have VERY easily screwed up on and ended up really hurting the overall narrative in small ways and they somehow dodged practically all of them. I really really liked subverting the "oh you learn how to deal with mental illness with rpg skills and then in the final battle you just use them all and win" setup. Watching those animations play 90% of the way before failing was really impactful for me. It's so easy to think you can deal with your fears or phobias or guilt, until you actually are face to face with them for real. Absolutely loved everything about that

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Even though the final photobook is slow and painful it's hard to remember the exact placement of things because of how hurtful it is. Sunny threw the violin down the stairs first in anger, probably after Mari had to get him to come downstairs to practice. Based on how he was described in game as a kid, he was scared to play and didn't enjoy it (see the library book saying he wish he had never started learning). That was the night of the recital, getting a replacement would be a problem and it was a gift from all of Sunny's friends so it being ruined hurt Mari a lot. This is the impetus of the fight, Sunny was being selfish in that moment and Mari, being a teenager and his sister, wasn't really capable of handling this situation without being affected by it. The fact that it isn't said out loud is good though and the right choice. Sunny is only able to overcome this trauma through the literal and figurative gift of his friends and his own hard work and practice.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the undertale comparisons are inevitable, but if omori has one major story influence other than yume nikki then it's probably oyasumi punpun, as if the name wasn't enough of a giveaway

there's a common thread of damaged, miserable adolescents destroying each other in an effort to understand one another, and retreating into delusions as their lives continue to deteriorate, though omori is more optimistic on the whole (assuming you get the good ending, of course)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I also think it's interesting that [More major endgame spoilers] the story ended up going in the direction it did with Mari's death. Mari's death not being a suicide is the big twist, but so much of the game rides the waves of viewing it as if it were a suicide. I definitely expected it to be that she killed herself and that Sunny might have said or done something that precipitated her death, and that was why he was feeling so guilty. Having it be an adolescent accident (I can't really think of it as a murder) that he was responsible for makes it hurt a lot more, and makes the story a lot more concrete and physical. It's really weird but it almost feels like the story gets to have it both ways? Omori, Hero, Kel, and Aubrey are all hurt as if it were a suicide, but Sunny and Basil are struggling with the guilt of the truth.

I guess the thing that surprises me so much is how real the effect of her death is on her friends and family. There's this memoir I read in college called The Suicide Index. It's about the author's father who committed suicide, and there's a quote in that book, "When you kill yourself, you kill every memory everyone has of you. You're saying I'm gone and you can't even be sure who it is that's gone, because you never knew me." I feel like Omori captures that sense of violence and confusion so well, especially with Aubrey's personality shift in Faraway Town.

I guess no matter how it actually happened, it was a sudden, unexpected, unwanted, and irrevocable death. The fact that it wasn't a suicide is why the Mari in Sunny's dreams is so pure--unlike Aubrey, he knows that Mari didn't hang herself, so it doesn't feel to him like Mari was lashing out and hurting everyone around her with her death. So Sunny has to deal with the grief and trauma of losing his sister, but he also is guilty and traumatized by the fact that he was responsible for her death, and that just compounds because Basil ended up having to share his responsibility.

Oxxidation posted:

the undertale comparisons are inevitable, but if omori has one major story influence other than yume nikki then it's probably oyasumi punpun, as if the name wasn't enough of a giveaway

there's a common thread of damaged, miserable adolescents destroying each other in an effort to understand one another, and retreating into delusions as their lives continue to deteriorate, though omori is more optimistic on the whole (assuming you get the good ending, of course)

I feel like another influence might be Stand By Me, which has quite a few thematic and plot similarities to Omori. I think one of the TVs in the game mentions "4 boys walking down train tracks." Which I guess doubles as a Pokemon reference since Red & Blue have a TV playing Stand By Me.

edit: oh duh, I already got that "Vast Forest" means the same thing as "O-mori", but I just realized that it's a play on the word Hikkikomori. :doh:

Cephas fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 3, 2021