Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah I agree entirely with everything you've wrote. The fact that they never actually tell/show you what the argument Sunny and Mari had was, was also a really good decision. It would have really hurt things to show it, and had our experience tainted by "taking a side" based on who was "in the right" or whatever. Honestly there's just like, a ton of things that they could have VERY easily screwed up on and ended up really hurting the overall narrative in small ways and they somehow dodged practically all of them. I really really liked subverting the "oh you learn how to deal with mental illness with rpg skills and then in the final battle you just use them all and win" setup. Watching those animations play 90% of the way before failing was really impactful for me. It's so easy to think you can deal with your fears or phobias or guilt, until you actually are face to face with them for real. Absolutely loved everything about that

Funnily enough the photos actually have text in the files that didn't get put into the game, possibly for this reason.

Weird BIAS' take mostly lines up with it, though. The more specific part of the argument is that it's Mari's perfectionism, brought up a few times over the game, rubbing up against Sunny not really wanting to play the violin except to please her and their friends. She's hard on him when he fucks up and doesn't understand the frustration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Yeah I want to stress that this whole situation is messy. Being in a similar position as a kid who made music her passion and has had panic attacks the day of a recital, Sunny has a ton of my understanding for reacting the way a child does and lashing out. We don't know better and frankly even as adults we aren't always educated or trained enough to deal with stress head on. Sunny could have had the situation go dramatically different if someone else was there besides Mari and Basil that could have calmed him down from his anxiety from performing. Or if the anxiety had been noticed earlier. Mari appears to be a perfectionist and Sunny spends most of his time doing what ifs. It's like polar opposite cases of OCD. Mari being a perfectionist meant she was spread too thin to notice Sunny's mood getting to that point. Sunny being afraid of failure meant he didn't want to do or contribute anything, not to the treehouse, not to the recital.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Cephas posted:

I feel like another influence might be Stand By Me, which has quite a few thematic and plot similarities to Omori. I think one of the TVs in the game mentions "4 boys walking down train tracks." Which I guess doubles as a Pokemon reference since Red & Blue have a TV playing Stand By Me.

It's the first TV you encounter in the game, even.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Absolutely loved this game. loving fantastic. Literally my only complaint is that I wish the Humphrey dungeon came before Deeper Wells, mainly because I loved Deeper Wells and everything from Black Space on, but didn't like Humphrey or the Witches and think the ending sequence would be better without it sandwiched in there.

Has anyone itt even done the alternate route yet? I can't imagine doing it myself, no amount of extra content is worth what you lose.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The extra fights and revelations seem cool but I dunno if I can bring myself to slog through so much of the same content to get to it, not even getting into how sad it'd make me lol.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

yeah I wish the trigger for the route and the point at which the new content starts weren't so far apart

otherwise, tremendous game. gonna stick with me for a long time

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Absolutely loved this game. loving fantastic. Literally my only complaint is that I wish the Humphrey dungeon came before Deeper Wells, mainly because I loved Deeper Wells and everything from Black Space on, but didn't like Humphrey or the Witches and think the ending sequence would be better without it sandwiched in there.

Has anyone itt even done the alternate route yet? I can't imagine doing it myself, no amount of extra content is worth what you lose.

The fact that Humphrey was effectively the final boss, despite not really having anything to do with the main plot felt pretty weird to me.

I intend to do the other route but I don't want to do it straight away - I finished the game pretty recently.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I think Humphrey was more important in the original game concept, where he's one of Omori's three mind guardians (along with the big yellow cat and Abbi). I think he still kind of works as a kind of final boss to headspace? He starts out fun and games and then very quickly spirals into death, death, DEATH, DEATH, DEATH, DEATH in a way that's very all-encompassing, body-horrorish and nihilistic. I think it's maybe the first time in the game that Omori's headspace just straight-up morphs into an almost inescapable abyss? Like there are some scary monsters you fight before then, but they're almost like anomalies, creepy nightmares that are crashing his chill vibe. Humphrey kind of feels like you're seeing the layer underneath the surface that was there all along.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
One of the best games of 2020 for me, I don't knkw if I'll ever do the other route but what I've played will stick with me for a very long time. What a haunting game.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

I'll talk about the alt route for those curious but not willing to commit. I think it's worth playing if you feel like exploring the rpg mechanics more deeply or just because there is more story and lore in it.

Obviously the days are different. Sunny doing tasks and having a hard time. First day is sweeping, he passes out doing it. Second is taking a bath and passing out in it which leads to the fear of drowning scene but then waking up in the dark in the tub. When the normal route headspace section happens Mari takes you through the water section. Alt route it's headspace Kel. So Sunny's subconscious isn't looking into Mari's death at this point. Deep Well continues as normal from there until you get to Basil's House and Black Space. As before there is a shadow Basil who exposits and another Basil that is killed over and over. This time though, Shadow Basil begs Sunny to remember what happened but instead of stabbing the fake as in the normal route, here you save the 'fake' Basil and seal the shadow Basil away. Sunny himself is sealed by OMORI, OMORI takes Basil past the area with the red hands and various parts of Black Space up to the neighbour's room where everyone else is asleep. There are various things including a TV with a reference I didn't quite get that says "A movie is playing, it shows 4 girls preparing to play a rock concert" The big yellow cat tells you to rest, you are safe here. You go to bed.

Sunny wakes up irl and it's time for chore 3, the dishes. 13 or so selections of "Which dish do you want to clean?" with a chance that it will break, and Sunny saying, "Maybe mom won't notice..." Then bed. I think SOMETHING shows up at some point as well. Honestly breaking dishes made me a nervous wreck because I hate when it happens in real life. Final day of headspace is gameplay rich. Basil is now at the picnic baskets and you can look at the fake photos and he'll say nice things in the few new basket locations. There is an easter egg if you go back to the forest with spiders and have a picnic with Basil and they'll talk about HERO's fear of spiders. OMORI has a new ability called RED HANDS where he summons the hands and deals crazy damage. The one tree in the Vast Forest with a tire swing now has a monster there based on the one from the train that fears everyone but OMORI. Several places are like this. You can revisit the library under the stage, that one dock that leads to nowhere and fight these enemies for no real reason. You can talk to the thing under Sweetheart's Castle and change it into your own castle and it becomes... A single comfy room with a lazy boy chair and a bunch of photos of Sunny's family. That one upset me a lot.

The main new gameplay content is Snowglobe Mountain and going back into Humphrey. For Snowglobe Mountain, you visit space boyfriend's dad at SBF's house and get batteries to put into the singing fish in the igloo. Snowglobe mountain is an interesting dungeon though a bit sparse. There is a good gag with sliding puzzles there. You fight Space Ex Husband at the top and he's actually got a dangerous gimmick to him. Humphrey part 2 is three things, 1. a big ole boss rush run by Boss and 2. helping the slime girls get new bodies 3. fighting the sweetheart-likes. These are dangerous as hell fights because they have very specific gimmicks that are neat. Also Dino Dig gives a lot more experience now.

One other bit of content is of course getting all the keys. The last one is found by going to the end of the lost highway and taking a ride with the hitchhiker to a corrider. Once you grab the key the game closes to desktop. On opening it back up you will be back at this location and can now go further into the Abyss. More of those weird SOMETHING style monsters are here. Once you get to the bottom you meet ABBI, who is one of the 3 guardians that was sealed away and fight her. If you beat her and spare her you can then go to every tentacle in the game (which are her's) and get the final items for everyone. OMORI gets a RED KNIFE and a loving COUGH MASK, loving christ. When you feel done you can head back to white space and end the dream the usual self harm way. SOMETHING will be there and will follow you out to the car. I think it's also possible to grab a knife at some point during this or the previous day time scene as well and the STAB option is available in the menu during all this. These are endings you can still get in the normal route just minus SOMETHING being there.

For what it's worth, that route was a slow start for me. Once I got deep into it it was fine though and I still haven't completely done everything. Boss Rush and Perfect Sweetheart are dangerous. I recommend it with the caveat: "Only if you don't mind feeling worse emotionally than you already do from the end of the game." But truthfully, how many people (ending spoiler)heard Bo En's My Time in game? It's in one of the worse endings and it's upsetting as poo poo. More so than anything the alt route threw at me. That honestly is more upsetting than the alt route to me, emotionally.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Spending more time with my good friend Basil Imaginary Basil sounds pretty neat, to be honest. It thematically makes sense why you spend so little time with Basil, but he and Sunny/Omori are really cute together when they're not committing transgressions against all that is holy so I'm pretty interested to see those interactions.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Weird BIAS posted:

But truthfully, how many people (ending spoiler)heard Bo En's My Time in game? It's in one of the worse endings and it's upsetting as poo poo. More so than anything the alt route threw at me. That honestly is more upsetting than the alt route to me, emotionally.

I got all of the endings from that route before I started the alt route, so yeah I got this ending. Isn't it basically just the Yume Nikki ending? That's why it didn't bug me as much as the normal endings (both moving away and the knife ending), that were more of their own thing and surprised me more.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Ventana posted:

I got all of the endings from that route before I started the alt route, so yeah I got this ending. Isn't it basically just the Yume Nikki ending? That's why it didn't bug me as much as the normal endings (both moving away and the knife ending), that were more of their own thing and surprised me more.

I think being attacked by Basil and not being able to forgive him or yourself and commiting suicide is what hurt for me the most. In the moving away ending in a normal route you run away from your friends in self preservation which is it's own kind of selfishness, same arguably with the knife ending. Basil kills himself, in both endings from what is implied by the sirens and only the knife ending has Sunny also killing himself. The hospital ending requires getting to the point where he tried to save Basil and being stabbed in the eye in the process but decides no, he's not worth it and Sunny is not worth it. He wakes up and does the deed. Not knowing what happened to Basil or the rest of his friends in the aftermath. It's possibly the only ending of these bad ones here that Basil isn't dead.

Also for as interesting and important Yume Nikki is, it doesn't have the same sense of bonds that tie as OMORI. The alt route and it's only endings feels closer to Yume Nikki than any other ending because there is no sense of where the gang are in their lives in this route narratively. Though we obviously know what happens to them from playing the other route first like a compassionate person haha.

I do think the knife and moving endings are unique. I think it stings more that you go through everything Sunny has in the coma and being attacked by Basil and give up. All of these endings are Sunny running away in their own way. It's just important that they have different consequences logically. Moving away, Basil is dead, no contact is kept with friends and they are no longer friends in alt route, possibly still friends in normal route and Sunny continues to be in White Space. Knife ending, Basil is dead, Sunny is dead, the gang left may grieve though honestly they may not all feel close enough anymore to care regardless of the route. Hospital ending, Basil is alive but hurt and further traumatized, Sunny is dead, the gang is left to grieve but arguably has reformed their bonds though it's impossible to say whether they can still be around each other. And well, good ending still hurts a lot too because Sunny admitting to the truth doesn't guarentee the gang will still be friends after this.

The fact that you go through all the farce of the lie and rebuilding friendships and then go to the grave without admitting what actually happened hurts me a bit more than just running away. Personally at least. This is still something that happens in normal route knife and moving endings but I think that having Basil still be alive is a distinction that the others don't have and him and the gang having to come to terms with Sunny's death worries me differently than the gang coming to terms to both Basil and Sunny being dead or gone.

e: ooh found a youtube channel posting more hikikomori route stuff and unshockingly I missed a big thing. There is a second black space.

Weird BIAS fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 5, 2021

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Just finished the game, really enjoyed it, although the rpg combat got pretty old. wouldn't]ve minded if there was a way to skip it. I also sped it up with cheat engine to 1.5, which helped with some slowness of the game play. The story was great. I like how you're constantly asking what really happened and the game keeps throwing curveballs at you. Although I'm not going to play the alternate route because I think it'd be too depressing.

two questions: one, if you got the good ending, do you think its a happy one or more complicated? I choose to believe it's happy (well as happy as it could be I guess)

2. When does bo en's "my time" play in the game? I don't remember it.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mirello posted:

The worst ending iirc.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Mirello posted:

Just finished the game, really enjoyed it, although the rpg combat got pretty old. wouldn't]ve minded if there was a way to skip it. I also sped it up with cheat engine to 1.5, which helped with some slowness of the game play. The story was great. I like how you're constantly asking what really happened and the game keeps throwing curveballs at you. Although I'm not going to play the alternate route because I think it'd be too depressing.

two questions: one, if you got the good ending, do you think its a happy one or more complicated? I choose to believe it's happy (well as happy as it could be I guess)

If you wanna see where my time gets used you can watch this youtube of the bad ending. I honestly was afraid it was going to be used for something even worse, like some hikkikomori route variant of Sunny and Basil deciding to drag Mari out to the tree and then the song starts playing.

I do think the good ending is a happy one. The friends all comfort Sunny about how they will be there for each other from now on, and it's really genuine and heartfelt. I forget what the exact line was, but one of them says something about how since they're still with each other, they can talk about things and rely on one another. I think it's really clear to the group that no one has been suffering more from Mari's death than Sunny and Basil have, and we come to know that Sunny's feelings for Mari are a deep, deep love even after everything that's happened. I feel like the story's resolution is him learning to trust that his friends will forgive him and stand by him, instead of his and Basil's original need to pin the blame on "Something" else as the cause for Mari's death. Plus, I think all the kids in the story are so tired of suffering, they really want to return to loving each other again.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Cephas posted:

If you wanna see where my time gets used you can watch this youtube of the bad ending. I honestly was afraid it was going to be used for something even worse, like some hikkikomori route variant of Sunny and Basil deciding to drag Mari out to the tree and then the song starts playing.

I do think the good ending is a happy one. The friends all comfort Sunny about how they will be there for each other from now on, and it's really genuine and heartfelt. I forget what the exact line was, but one of them says something about how since they're still with each other, they can talk about things and rely on one another. I think it's really clear to the group that no one has been suffering more from Mari's death than Sunny and Basil have, and we come to know that Sunny's feelings for Mari are a deep, deep love even after everything that's happened. I feel like the story's resolution is him learning to trust that his friends will forgive him and stand by him, instead of his and Basil's original need to pin the blame on "Something" else as the cause for Mari's death. Plus, I think all the kids in the story are so tired of suffering, they really want to return to loving each other again.

this is basically my interpretation. no need to make an already sad story even sadder. I'm also very glad I watered the flowers. This story really hit me. I'm gonna try some other maker games now, lol. Hope they'll live up to this one but I doubt it

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think that Hero will have the hardest time forgiving Sunny, and it'll take longer than the others but I think even he will come around. The real wrench in this is that sunny is dropping this bombshell on them then moving away hours later. And since the game seems to take place like early to mid 00s, maintaining long distance communication isn't going to be as easy as it is nowadays. But idk. I def don't buy into the fan interpretations that they'll hate him forever or anything but its definitely not smooth sailing from here on out

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I think that Hero will have the hardest time forgiving Sunny

As much as I loved this game and would absolutely recommend the hell out of it, after finishing the game on the good ending I really couldn't help but feel like the reveal of the truth behind Mari's death feeling... Extremely jarring, to the point of it leaving me feeling pretty sour. I get that Basil was trying to protect Sunny, but covering up her accidental death by making it look like suicide felt so beyond extreme that it was a strain to feel empathy for Omori or Basil's guilt over what happened and even harder to believe that a happy resolution could come from it once Kel/Hero/Aubrey were told what really happened. There's almost no way "My sister didn't kill herself, we had an argument and there was an accident, she died and we made it look like she killed herself" is something that's going to sit right with all of them, let alone be forgiven.

Suppose that's much of the point of it, though, is that Sunny's found it in himself to tell the truth and face the consequences, regardless of what they might be and why the game's lived so rent-free in my head since I finished it. What a ride.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

JimmyBiskit posted:

As much as I loved this game and would absolutely recommend the hell out of it, after finishing the game on the good ending I really couldn't help but feel like the reveal of the truth behind Mari's death feeling... Extremely jarring, to the point of it leaving me feeling pretty sour. I get that Basil was trying to protect Sunny, but covering up her accidental death by making it look like suicide felt so beyond extreme that it was a strain to feel empathy for Omori or Basil's guilt over what happened and even harder to believe that a happy resolution could come from it once Kel/Hero/Aubrey were told what really happened. There's almost no way "My sister didn't kill herself, we had an argument and there was an accident, she died and we made it look like she killed herself" is something that's going to sit right with all of them, let alone be forgiven.

Suppose that's much of the point of it, though, is that Sunny's found it in himself to tell the truth and face the consequences, regardless of what they might be and why the game's lived so rent-free in my head since I finished it. What a ride.

it definitely feels like a "premise before plot" situation, where the writer came up with this earth-shattering revelation and wrote the story backwards from there. on a strictly emotional level it works, but on a logical one you need to take a few big steps back or the seams will show

as for hero's reaction, i agree that he'd take the news the hardest, but i get the impression that a big part of his self-identity revolves around being the grown-up of the bunch, so that impulse (along with his sainted dumbass of a brother) will keep him from clinging to any grudges

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

JimmyBiskit posted:

I really didn't like this either. Before the reveal I had assumed that Sunny was "guilty" in that he said or did something that he felt was the reason for her death. One thought I had was that maybe Mari died protecting Sunny somehow, since in headspace she's always showing up even in dangerous areas to care for everyone with heals/saves/hints. Another was that since one of the main gating mechanics in headspace was Omori getting over various fears, maybe Sunny felt guilty because he felt he could have saved Mari if not for his cowardice. Having it be something as straightforward as Sunny physically pushing her to her death just seemed like such a wet fart of a reveal, and Sunny and Basil staging the suicide was just so over the top ridiculous that it sucked any emotion out of it for me.

To make a comparison with another RPG that deals with some dark emotions, Mother 3 (M3 endgame spoilers) hit me in the gut like a ton of bricks with the ending. In Omori, the final boss is your own negative mental self-image. In Mother 3 the final boss is your brother that was kidnapped by a time-traveling fat elderly child who turned him into a cyborg so he could pull magical needles out of a continent-sized dragon. On paper one of these should feel a lot more relatable than the other, yet Mother 3 gets me every time while I felt nothing from Omori's sad twist. Despite all the craziness surrounding it, the core emotional part of Mother 3's final boss battle was "despite everything, deep down you're still you, and I see you there and love you" and I was able to feel that on a real primal emotional level even without having a cyborg brother. "You gotta forgive yourself for killing your sister and covering it up" on the other hand just didn't do it for me.

All that said though I can still confidently say this will make my top 10 for 2021

garfield hentai fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 5, 2021

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ehh...Personally I don't actually find the situation that hard to find believable, especially when you remember that it's heavily implied that Sunny's parents knew or suspected what actually happened which would mean they helped cover it up in their own way, probably by not having it investigated further. Kids freaking out after a tragic accident and trying to cover it up isn't unbelievable to me either. There was a news story I still remember from like 15 or so years ago that had a similar altho not 100% same series of tragic events and cover up and the people involved were like 11. I dunno, it just didn't take me out of it at all I guess.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

I've seen it theorized that Sunny might not have killed her initially with the push. That Mari's death came from the hanging since the one eye was open at the time. I'm not sure I believe that though or that that logic works.

Anyways I've speculated elsewhere about the parents likely knowing about what happened to some extent based on the one 'key' scene. I can't really say that this is a normal situation that would happen but it's also not exactly the real world even when it pretends to be.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah I absolutely don't buy that. That's like misery porn for the sake of it which the game has gone really out of its way not to really do. I took the eye just being because her eyes were open when she broke her neck.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah I absolutely don't buy that. That's like misery porn for the sake of it which the game has gone really out of its way not to really do. I took the eye just being because her eyes were open when she broke her neck.

No, it's not that.

Her eyes were closed, hence why Sunny thought she was sleeping. Rigor mortis can make eyes open after death. That's all it was.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Tallgeese posted:

No, it's not that.

Her eyes were closed, hence why Sunny thought she was sleeping. Rigor mortis can make eyes open after death. That's all it was.

Ah ok yeah that makes more sense.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Ah ok yeah that makes more sense.

Of course, one could make the argument that it was left intentionally ambiguous.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Yeah the theory that Sunny and Basil killed her with the hanging makes no sense at all. Not only from the point of it going against how pretty much everything else is portrayed in the game like Ibram mentioned, but also because they literally carry her back upstairs first. If they wanted to just kill her (for some inexplicable reason???) they would have just done it instead of trying to bring her back to bed first.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I also found the reveal a bit bad, just because I hate the "pushing someone away and they DIE" trope more than anything.

Tbh, I thought it was going to be that basil had taken pictures of Mari and hero having sex and was blackmailing Mari or threatening to show one of the parents, and sunny knew but was too awkward to do anything. I would've liked that a bit better, but that would've been more hosed up. I thought that's what all the focus on the photo album was leading to, and was a bit disappointed that the 2nd photo album wasn't "real". I thought sunny had stumbled upon it in real life. I guess in that situation it's hard to make basil relatable, but blackmail is a bit more common and believable for a 12 year old than faking a suicide, imo.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

garfield hentai posted:

To make a comparison with another RPG that deals with some dark emotions, Mother 3 (M3 endgame spoilers)

I've been feeling the same way, and I wanted to make the exact same comparison, so I really appreciated this post.

That said, despite things that I felt could've been done better, the game still is a "reach for the moon; even if you fail you'll still be among the stars" state for me. I'm very impressed with what they tried, and even with these critiques about the ending/plot I still think it's generally ok/good in what is otherwise a very solid rpg.

Mirello posted:

I also found the reveal a bit bad, just because I hate the "pushing someone away and they DIE" trope more than anything.

fwiw I have a friend who also was pushed down the stairs as a kid in a similar manner, and while she didn't die she did get very hosed up physically and it's had some long lasting effects to this day. It might be overplayed in media but it still has to be some clearly dangerous stuff. My friend liked how Omori portrayed it I think, though she didn't like the cover up stuff :v:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
relevant anecdote: when i was six or seven, my little brother shoved me down our house's (very steep) stairs for the sheer hell of it. just knocked the wind out of me, but those steps were carpeted and kids at that age are practically made of rubber anyhow

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

When I was a little kid I decided to play a prank on my brother and hide his iPod Shuffle in one of the lamps in the house. When I got it out later on the USB connector on it was partially melted and unusable, and I freaked the gently caress out and started crying and trying to cover it up. I don't find it that unreasonable that a couple of kids that had something significantly worse than that happen to freak the gently caress out and try to shift the blame off of them in the moment.

Also yeah while the way she died isn't the most unique thing in the world, kids doing extremely violent things to each other that are only really hosed up in retrospect isn't that uncommon, and that can often lead to the fear of "what if it went worse" which is pretty relatable.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I liked just about everything about the ending, i didn't feel like anything was expected and was handled well. The one issue is basically if you think about it too hard it somewhat unravels, but uh 12 year olds do stupid poo poo isn't too big a leap for me. Especially since Basil suggested the hanging to try and help Sunny because "you're a good person, a good person doesn't do something like that"

Also:

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

I ended up watching Stand By Me since I could't remember if I had seen it all. OMORI REALLY drew from that huh. The TV Pokemon reference is one thing but god drat.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I mean talking about influences, all of omori is basically just paranoia agent the game. I heavily recommend you watch that show if you liked this game at all. Or even if you didn't, lol, one of my favs of all time.

I do think the theme of the game I enjoyed the most was just hiding deeper and deeper in a fantasy to escape from reality. While obviously not as in depth as the game, I do think that's an extremely common behavior in real life. I know I've had times I wanted to just escape from it all and live in fantasy.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Acerbatus posted:

The worst ending iirc.

For me, I think the worst ending is the one where Basil kills himself at the sleepover, and you get to see all your friends' reactions. Aubrey seems to blame herself, and Kel says, "Why does this keep happening to us?" You then run straight home and kill yourself too.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mirello posted:

I mean talking about influences, all of omori is basically just paranoia agent the game.

i'd argue against this - paranoia agent is a magical-realist story about societal malaise, with an ensemble cast. omori is more grounded (all the more bizarre elements are strictly metaphorical) and focuses primarily on the main character and his own hangups, maybe with basil as a secondary focus

the only thing they really have in common is the idea of retreating into delusion to escape painful reality, and that shows up in a lot of works besides just PA

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

i'd argue against this - paranoia agent is a magical-realist story about societal malaise, with an ensemble cast. omori is more grounded (all the more bizarre elements are strictly metaphorical) and focuses primarily on the main character and his own hangups, maybe with basil as a secondary focus

the only thing they really have in common is the idea of retreating into delusion to escape painful reality, and that shows up in a lot of works besides just PA

I mean what about the child who literally retreats into the delusion of his life as a video game (specifically an old school jrpg) in order to understand whats going on? That episode is pretty similar, no? or the detective guy retreating from his wife. obviously not as in depth as like a 20 hour focus on one character but theres gotta be some influence there.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mirello posted:

I mean what about the child who literally retreats into the delusion of his life as a video game (specifically an old school jrpg) in order to understand whats going on? That episode is pretty similar, no? or the detective guy retreating from his wife. obviously not as in depth as like a 20 hour focus on one character but theres gotta be some influence there.

those could be points of inspiration, but it's not an uncommon plot conceit, and definitely not specific enough to call it "paranoia agent the game." i would love paranoia agent the game! this probably isn't it

compare that to the stand by me examples above, or goodnight punpun, where the protagonist's spiraling mental state results in the traumatic death of the female deuteragonist (an actual hanging, this time), and he hits rock bottom, believes that he's being influenced by a malicious entity separate from himself, and only begins his (possible, ambiguous) recovery when he acknowledges that no such entity exists and attempts suicide by gouging out his eye. punpun is basically what you'd get if you rolled sunny and basil into one horribly maladjusted kid and added extra parental abuse to taste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Goodnight/Oyasumi Punpun definitely was an influence here. I think the first time I heard Bo En’s My Time was a manga music video for Punpun funny enough.