Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Mizuti posted:

I've gone ahead with streaming with my friend and I'm making good time.

That's a cool thing you're doing with your friend, and I hope the best for both of yall :shobon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoWgI1V_WDA

I definitely am not in the right headspace right now to try to complete the hikkikomori route, so I am thinking I might start Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass soon. I've heard it's got a similar vibe to Omori.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Cephas posted:

I definitely am not in the right headspace right now to try to complete the hikkikomori route, so I am thinking I might start Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass soon. I've heard it's got a similar vibe to Omori.
Yeah, for sure. kind of leans a bit more into the Earthbound influence has way less of the Yume Nikki influence, if that helps describe things.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Well, that was definitely something. I finished the game on the best ending yesterday. Probably one of the best games of its type I've ever played. Considering doing a bad route playthrough, though yeah as others have said there's a lot of bloat there.

What really struck me was just how quiet both Omori and Sunny were in their own stories, in terms of having next to no dialog and all. Like, in other games the whole silent protagonist thing is very much a normal thing, but here it really hit differently. Just immensely damaged, in both headspace and realspace. Utterly shutting down and not talking to anybody was definitely sometime I did at times in high school, so that really rang a scary kind of true.

Anyway, I process depression/trauma through humor so to that end I present this:
(crack spoiler)

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Cephas posted:

That's a cool thing you're doing with your friend, and I hope the best for both of yall :shobon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoWgI1V_WDA

Jimmy's a lot more earthbound than Omori. Omori never requires grinding and the combat is super easy. Jimmy is difficult and will need some grinding to get through it, though there's an easy mode you can enable to help out in both regards.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Sardonik posted:

Anyway, I process depression/trauma through humor so to that end I present this:
(crack spoiler)

:eyepop: Man this game is superb for black humor after you've played it all.

Cephas posted:

Thanks, man. I'm actually in the process of wrapping up. One final stream to showcase the largely story-irrelevant bonus bosses, and I've shown him almost everything in it. really queer Christmas's LP helped me find all sorts of cool details to share. I set aside save files to show my friend the content of both routes and each major ending fork, minimizing repetition. I know there's videos I could have shown him, but we chose to go through it together so we could discuss it. I made sure to point out my favorite detail that I don't see many people mention during the One Day Left section: Hikikomori route quietly adds the STAB option in reality at that point. And yes, you can use it. Speaks volumes about Sunny's headspace.

Christ on a cracker, it was immensely uncomfortable to livestream the sequence where Omori systematically dismantles Sunny's will to live, culminating in Sunny's submission and suicide.. Now we can't get the song out of our heads... Still worth it to talk about it after together, though.

Something interesting I noticed about Omori is that it tends to worm its way into your mind; much more than any other video game I've ever seen. People often feel compelled to talk about it once they have experienced it and had some time to digest it. My friend is no exception. I've urged him to privately write down some of these reactions he's having to make them more "real" and to not forget them. I did, and my notes are helping me. I don't know why an amateur work of fiction was the vehicle that could help me so much, but I'm not going to take this opportunity for granted.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I ended up doing a video where I just ruminate on the events in the game and where my head was at when I played it originally (spoilers I was kind of depressed and not coping). Spoilers for everything in the game obviously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGIyxHaVfgQ

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZEvFY9OMmQ

Based on the 3 tiers of emotion pictures, I'd say it's a dlc about basil.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i forgot how loving eerie that song is

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

really queer Christmas posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZEvFY9OMmQ

Based on the 3 tiers of emotion pictures, I'd say it's a dlc about basil.

Confused on the context for this, were these images always there or in some update or...?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Ash Rose posted:

Confused on the context for this, were these images always there or in some update or...?

There was a Japanese release recently, and all the images were found in that release.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

omori is the best game ever made

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Nyoro posted:

omori is the best game ever made

it's certainly one of my favorite. I think the elongated headspace segments drag a bit and can feel like "the parts in-between the stuff you are waiting for" but they aren't BAD. They serve a purpose of building tension and letting you ruminate on things, as well establishing norms for the game to later subvert, like how we start off with SAD, HAPPY, ANGRY and then add in AFRAID with no pace-killing explanation needed in the moment that counts.

In a perfect world I would like the combat to be a little more engaging with less random encounters and more bespoke fights, something akin to Lisa: the Painful RPG's encounters.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I heard from a long yellow cat that this game is now out on the Nintendo Switch. Supposedly with expanded content??

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I ordered the physical copy but that won't be here until July. I never finished the game on PC, so I'm not sure what was added but I know omocat mentioned something about added content to a route.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I ordered a physical copy too but haven't gotten any emails about when it's going to ship. I've already played through all the content in the steam version, but even still I don't want to spoil for myself what new content there is gonna be. I did see some of the ideas for the new content from the older data mining from the recent-ish patch earlier this year, and it looked cool, but I'm not sure if that is what made it to the final game.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

omori is one of my favourite games all. is the new content locked to the consoles or does it go on PC? might need to start a new playthrough soon if so

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

aubrey

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

pog boyfriend posted:

omori is one of my favourite games all. is the new content locked to the consoles or does it go on PC? might need to start a new playthrough soon if so

Also interested in knowing this, will buy on switch if I must

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

pog boyfriend posted:

It has not been announced whether or not the new content is ever coming to Steam, but the Game Pass PC version does have the new content.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
Ah yes, portable OMORI, for when you need agony on the go! It's great that this release has something new, but this game can be extremely cryptic about side content, so I have no idea how or where it would appear. Does anyone know what it is and where it's found?

As long as I'm here, this game's been on my mind lately because I recently brought another friend through it. He was interested in trying it himself, and I was wondering if he'd get any useful insights from it like I did. He carefully chewed through it over the course of three months, and I gave him moral support and helped him digest the emotions and memories it brought up. When he finished it, he emerged from this experience with a lot more control over his feelings of grief, guilt, and social anxiety.

I figured he'd react to it, but I had no idea how quickly and intensely it would get to him, as he's a hardened horror veteran. I told him almost nothing about what to expect since just about everything important about the game is considered a spoiler, so suddenly undergoing the section where Sunny wakes up for the first time and is immersed in an atmosphere of loneliness and fear punched right through his comfortable detachment, pried loose some things in his mind, and made him start processing bottled-up trauma. When he found the courage to return to the game and continue, other events reminded him of both his life's highest highs and lowest lows and helped him come to more realizations about himself.

When everything wrapped up and the dust settled, I asked him his final thoughts on what he went through, and he said it was a positive if stressful experience, saying, "It gives you a mental clarity that you don't normally have when you're just living your life." I apologized for ambushing him with upsetting subject matter, and he replied, "Nah, if I did it again for the first time, I would want those same responses, so don't be sorry." He compared undergoing OMORI to breaking and re-setting a broken bone to heal properly and said that though it caused him pain in the short term, it's helping him heal for the future.

Whew. Not bad for a little indie video game. :unsmith: Our strong reactions are not the norm, but I'm glad it could help me and my friend.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Omori hit real hard for me too as someone with some pretty intense anxiety and depression. I dunno if I can get through it again right now since (personal life stuff that is related to game spoilers) my older sister just started having some pretty scary medical problems and the stuff with Mari might be too intense. Excited to hear about what stuff folks find though.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
The new content is exclusive to all the recent new releases (Switch, Xbox, Gamepass), and exclusively takes place at the end of the alt/hikikomori route

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Forsythia posted:

Ah yes, portable OMORI, for when you need agony on the go! It's great that this release has something new, but this game can be extremely cryptic about side content, so I have no idea how or where it would appear. Does anyone know what it is and where it's found?

As long as I'm here, this game's been on my mind lately because I recently brought another friend through it. He was interested in trying it himself, and I was wondering if he'd get any useful insights from it like I did. He carefully chewed through it over the course of three months, and I gave him moral support and helped him digest the emotions and memories it brought up. When he finished it, he emerged from this experience with a lot more control over his feelings of grief, guilt, and social anxiety.

I figured he'd react to it, but I had no idea how quickly and intensely it would get to him, as he's a hardened horror veteran. I told him almost nothing about what to expect since just about everything important about the game is considered a spoiler, so suddenly undergoing the section where Sunny wakes up for the first time and is immersed in an atmosphere of loneliness and fear punched right through his comfortable detachment, pried loose some things in his mind, and made him start processing bottled-up trauma. When he found the courage to return to the game and continue, other events reminded him of both his life's highest highs and lowest lows and helped him come to more realizations about himself.

When everything wrapped up and the dust settled, I asked him his final thoughts on what he went through, and he said it was a positive if stressful experience, saying, "It gives you a mental clarity that you don't normally have when you're just living your life." I apologized for ambushing him with upsetting subject matter, and he replied, "Nah, if I did it again for the first time, I would want those same responses, so don't be sorry." He compared undergoing OMORI to breaking and re-setting a broken bone to heal properly and said that though it caused him pain in the short term, it's helping him heal for the future.

Whew. Not bad for a little indie video game. :unsmith: Our strong reactions are not the norm, but I'm glad it could help me and my friend.

I think indie games are a great way for artists to communicate their feelings in a surprisingly intimate way. I had a really intense reaction to the game, too. I've had ongoing problems with dissociation, isolation, nightmares, and family dysfunction throughout my life. And I'm also just a bit of a crybaby when it comes to subjects like friendship and found families. I think what really connected with me in Omori was the feeling of kinship it takes. I really adore Omocat's art, but Omori is a pretty humble game even in light of its charming aesthetic. You get a sense of the author's presence in the game; it isn't so polished that the human creator is invisible, which is what a AAA game aspires toward. So you can feel the author present in the game. And the game, even when it's in these dark spaces, has this feeling of "I've been through this before and I made it out. Let me walk you through this." Like how Sunny instinctively knows how to Breathe to ward off his monsters or how the final boss isn't defeated by the power of friendship. You almost expect it will be, that it will be a Power of Friendship ending that fills the ruined world with sunshine and rainbows and hope. But it's not. The author knows darkness well enough to know that friends are vital and lifegiving, but sometimes you have to face your darkness alone, and dwell with it, and learn to accept it. It's a very emotionally mature ending that goes to a darker place than many games are willing to go, but it's not for the sake of shock or nihilism. It's to say, there's a way through this, but it's something only you can do for yourself, and it's not through force or violence but through healing and acceptance.

Polderjoch posted:

The new content is exclusive to all the recent new releases (Switch, Xbox, Gamepass), and exclusively takes place at the end of the alt/hikikomori route

I'm glad to hear that, because I have been putting off doing that content!

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Polderjoch posted:

Good to know, but that still covers a pretty broad swath of content. I wouldn't have found half the stuff in that part without looking it up and I bet this is no different. Can someone please share the (spoiler-tagged) specifics of where exactly it's found?

Cephas posted:

I think indie games are a great way for artists to communicate their feelings in a surprisingly intimate way. The game, even when it's in these dark spaces, has this feeling of "I've been through this before and I made it out. Let me walk you through this."

Back in the GotY 2021 thread on this forum I described this game as "intimate, sincere, and compassionate" and I meant every word of it. I'm still bowled over by the amount of intense emotions and constructive realizations OMORI makes me feel. I think part of the way it gets to people is that it uses the video game medium to its fullest advantage: The way it pushes and pulls the player, establishing "safe" expectations and then breaking them when it hurts most, and forcing the player to personally to pull the trigger on unpleasant and anxiety-provoking actions. The two campaigns and multiple endings that let the player explore more than the intended "good" ending that make that best outcome far more weighty in retrospect. The superb use of dramatic irony on repeated playthroughs, since by then the player knows what Sunny is capable of, but he sure doesn't, and it's so easy for him to stay "safely" in place or stop struggling and snap right back to surrendering all control over his life. They're things I've seen put to use in other games, but here they all combine together into something with an unusual amount of weight.

I don't want to e/n about it too much, but I've been taught my entire life that video games are trivial and meaningless, and I'm still grappling with the fact that one could teach me so much about myself. Just sharing any of my thoughts on it in a public space is excruciating. Well, even though my OMORI experience has been uncomfortable, it's been absolutely worth it. I'm glad I could share this strange but wonderful outcome with at least one of my friends.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Forsythia posted:

Good to know, but that still covers a pretty broad swath of content. I wouldn't have found half the stuff in that part without looking it up and I bet this is no different. Can someone please share the (spoiler-tagged) specifics of where exactly it's found?

from what i've seen, the new content is a hikikomori route boss rush found inside humphrey, where your only other party member is basil (less of a handicap than you'd think, the little nerd's a beast)

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Oxxidation posted:

from what i've seen, the new content is a hikikomori route boss rush found inside humphrey, where your only other party member is basil (less of a handicap than you'd think, the little nerd's a beast)

There's also a fight against Hero when he takes over Last Resort now, and a hunt for polaroids strewn over the Looping Forest in Black Space when you enter the nightmare version of your bedroom in the Black Space playground

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Oxxidation posted:

That's not a possibility I ever saw coming, but I gotta see this for myself. I'm curious if they were cruel enough to include the garden shears in his combat options.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
there's also a Mari boss fight, I believe at the end of the boss rush? all she does is heal you and say encouraging things while you and Basil kill her

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I respect going full hell mode on the hikkikomori route but I almost wish it were like, maybe a much darker path that could still lead to some kind of emotional reconciliation. Like if instead of a good route and a hikkikomori route it were more like a friendship route vs an introspection route, where Sunny being a shut in still leads to a darker place but maybe he is still able to find an inner wellspring of healing way down in all that mess.

I haven't actually played it, so I don't really know what the tone of that route is like, but it just sounds very emotionally difficult and feels-bad. Or if nothing else, I don't know exactly what it can offer that is of equal value as the pathos that the good route provides.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cephas posted:

I respect going full hell mode on the hikkikomori route but I almost wish it were like, maybe a much darker path that could still lead to some kind of emotional reconciliation. Like if instead of a good route and a hikkikomori route it were more like a friendship route vs an introspection route, where Sunny being a shut in still leads to a darker place but maybe he is still able to find an inner wellspring of healing way down in all that mess.

I haven't actually played it, so I don't really know what the tone of that route is like, but it just sounds very emotionally difficult and feels-bad. Or if nothing else, I don't know exactly what it can offer that is of equal value as the pathos that the good route provides.

it’s pretty firm in saying that sunny locking himself off does nothing to solve his problems. and why would it, he’s been doing just that for years and it’s only made him worse

it doesn’t really go “hell mode” - if anything the True path is darker because it forces sunny to confront his issues, whereas the hk route just buries you in stat twinking and the dream world’s dopey side stories. there’s stuff like Abbie and black space 2 but they’re no worse than the True route’s content and quickly forgotten

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I wish for a proper Omori DLC some day, but it probably wouldn't happen

I'd love a DLC where we play as Aubrey and experience her life from its peak to its lows since she's like the only character besides Sunny with a "complete arc"

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Nyoro posted:

I wish for a proper Omori DLC some day, but it probably wouldn't happen

I'd love a DLC where we play as Aubrey and experience her life from its peak to its lows since she's like the only character besides Sunny with a "complete arc"

I think all of the kids have them, though Kel's is over before the game begins and Hero's is mostly unfinished

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a not-spoilery (I've already been spoiled on quite a bit, but still) "best" way to play through the different paths? I played through what I feel is most of the game on PC (I stopped after a long underwater highway if I recall), but fell off for reasons I can't quite remember, but I'm pumped for my physical Switch copy to arrive and pick up again.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Framboise posted:

Is there a not-spoilery (I've already been spoiled on quite a bit, but still) "best" way to play through the different paths? I played through what I feel is most of the game on PC (I stopped after a long underwater highway if I recall), but fell off for reasons I can't quite remember, but I'm pumped for my physical Switch copy to arrive and pick up again.

Good route (as spoiler-free as possible): always open the door to hang out with your friends. in the dream world, make sure to regularly water Basil's garden. there's quite a bit of optional real-world side quests to do, but I don't think any of them affect the ending. You probably want to try to visit the graveyard and have a picnic there though--it is just a good scene.

Can't say about the hikkikomori route.

Oxxidation posted:

it’s pretty firm in saying that sunny locking himself off does nothing to solve his problems. and why would it, he’s been doing just that for years and it’s only made him worse

it doesn’t really go “hell mode” - if anything the True path is darker because it forces sunny to confront his issues, whereas the hk route just buries you in stat twinking and the dream world’s dopey side stories. there’s stuff like Abbie and black space 2 but they’re no worse than the True route’s content and quickly forgotten

Yeah, I agree. I think the writing would have to take a different turn for sunny to find something positive during his isolation. I think some of the lore stuff sounds kind of nifty, but it seems like ultimately the game's narrative shifted to focus on the value of his real friends. I think a lot of those early comics and promotional art and trailers from many years ago made it look like Omori really was about the Hikkikomori stuff, and the story was going to be about the "vast forest" inside Sunny, including some of his funky dream neighbors.

I meant mostly that the Switch having a boss rush where Omori and Basil kill Mari while she says reassuring things to them sounds pretty hellish. It sounds kind of like, as far as enhanced edition content goes, it took the approach of filling out some of the stuff in the Hikkikomori route, rather than really taking it into a direction where it can stand alone as anything other than the spooky bad ending that you are saving Sunny from.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
that description of the fight was kind of inaccurate. mari jumps onto the tourney in a “this should be fun” kind of way, with the rest of the gang cheering her on. the fight proceeds as described until the screen snaps into you fighting her hanged corpse instead, with sunny and basil in their real-world selves. Sunny’s unable to relax, “Mari” can’t be injured, and after a few turns she jump-scares you and you’re back at the tournament lobby with everyone acting like nothing happened

it’s just the game’s reiteration that Sunny’s past will continue to haunt him and his experiences in Headspace are completely unable to help him cope with it

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I've seen all the new content (to the best of my knowledge) and although there wasn't a lot of it I'm glad I did. Though it went on for a little long, I was pleased with the Basil boss rush. Just as I'd hoped, he got the garden shears, level 3 emotions, adorable new Tag art, and a custom all-out attack and everything. It feels spectacularly disgusting to invoke their power of friendship to summon Red Hands to erase their enemies. And then there's the way it ends...

Since a console version can't do that neat little trick where it generates a .txt document addressed at Sunny after you complete a Neutral ending, featuring an ASCII drawing of Something and the words THERE'S SOMETHING BEHIND YOU to symbolically follow him forever, I guess this new, much more direct sequence is there to take its place.

To get to this new content I did something unusual that I've never tried before. I did the Three Days Left sequence as usual and then had Sunny refuse to go out the next day, shunting him onto the other route. This has a couple interesting consequences. (I'm guessing these were in the original release and I just never heard about them.) Since Kel confiscates the steak knife, Sunny no longer has one, and there doesn't appear to be a way to make him get another. Whew. But more alarmingly, you get to keep the photo album, and when I checked it out of curiosity on the night of One Day Left I saw that all the photographs had been quietly vandalized and scribbled out offscreen. Well, if you need any proof of what's going through Sunny's head if he sees what's waiting for him outside and gives up on it as soon as possible, here it is. Sunny usually prefers to do nothing and let "decisions" get made for him, or waits for people to tell him what to do, so him deliberately doing this carries a lot of weight. This is one of the few times he ever takes initiative, and it's to destroy the irreplaceable treasure that can remind him of his own humanity. Oh, is this game good at twisting the knife... :smith:

Forsythia fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 26, 2022

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
I will say I appreciate the spoiler tags since I am coming into this thread having barely played any of the game so far.

I picked up this game because it was so well reviewed and started to record myself playing it. I am fine with intense themes, but one thing I'm not really as good with is jumpscares.

After the first dream sequence ended with a jumpscare (right after Basil sees the photo that he dropped and starts talking about Mari, the jumpscare moving right into the whitespace) I started panicking a bit, especially after waking up in a completely darkened house. I am hesitant to move on with the game because I caved and looked to see if there was a list of jumpscares to look out for, and it seems like it gets much worse from there. It's embarrassing but I am quite bad at handling jumpscares, and was wondering if there was anyone else in this thread who is similar to me. Any good ways to handle the jumpscares? I was thinking of playing with the game in windowed mode instead of fullscreen mode, that may help a bit along with turning the audio down, but I'm not sure how good OBS Studio is at capturing the game in windowed mode. Any other advice? Since I've started recording this already I would like to finish it if possible, especially because the game seems quite good. Open to any and all advice!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

trapped mouse posted:

I will say I appreciate the spoiler tags since I am coming into this thread having barely played any of the game so far.

I picked up this game because it was so well reviewed and started to record myself playing it. I am fine with intense themes, but one thing I'm not really as good with is jumpscares.

After the first dream sequence ended with a jumpscare (right after Basil sees the photo that he dropped and starts talking about Mari, the jumpscare moving right into the whitespace) I started panicking a bit, especially after waking up in a completely darkened house. I am hesitant to move on with the game because I caved and looked to see if there was a list of jumpscares to look out for, and it seems like it gets much worse from there. It's embarrassing but I am quite bad at handling jumpscares, and was wondering if there was anyone else in this thread who is similar to me. Any good ways to handle the jumpscares? I was thinking of playing with the game in windowed mode instead of fullscreen mode, that may help a bit along with turning the audio down, but I'm not sure how good OBS Studio is at capturing the game in windowed mode. Any other advice? Since I've started recording this already I would like to finish it if possible, especially because the game seems quite good. Open to any and all advice!

Keep in mind that I haven't beaten the game as I say this, but the jumpscares are pretty telegraphed up to the point where I'm at and you can typically tell when you're in a situation where something's not right and something weird could happen. The first one at the start of the game is pretty sudden though, yeah.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
So I decided to sit down and finish the game. I stopped a few days after getting the game because I had to go through a pretty traumatic thing (pet death) and it put me in a horrible headspace to handle anything bleak. It's taken me a while to want to get back into it, knowing the game gets dark further in.

I started playing again yesterday and finished today-- the three Sunny endings, at least.

I already knew a lot of what happens in the game because the internet is the internet and if there's one thing the internet loves to do, it's spoil poo poo. So a lot of the twists and turns of the story didn't have the impact on me they probably would have if I had been able to go in blind, but:

END SPOILERS AHEAD:

God drat this game is a gut punch. I knew the general twist of what happens in the story-- Mari dying not by killing herself, but because Sunny accidentally kills her and Basil encouraging him to cover it up as if it were a suicide to protect him-- but I didn't know the how or the why or how the game was going to explore those feelings, and they sure do make it as gutwrenching as they possibly can.

I never would have figured the game would go that far into the pit of pure, torturous despair from how bright and cheerful most of the game is otherwise, but it sure did and I'm not mad about it.

The Yume Nikki-esque Black Space sequences were loving chilling-- the game really goes in hard on telling you THINGS ARE VERY BAD as soon as you hit Deep Well and Sunny's escapism becomes more and more incoherent and more and more hostile. I really love how the Headspace parts of the game actually have very little to do with what's actually going on in the story and are more a reflection of Sunny's mental state as he tries to keep it together, the more distraught he becomes.

I should have expected that the "good" ending would still be pretty bleak, but I was surprised at how much darker the other two endings are, especially so deep into the game where you feel as if Sunny's actually doing better-- he's reconnected with his friends, he's made relationships and helped everyone around town, and every broken heart has started to mend... except yours and Basil's. I feel like while the ending where you choose not to retry against Omori and he takes over as you jump to your death was obviously dark and heartwrenching (especially since THIS is where My Time plays, dear god), the ending where you choose not to help Basil is by far the darkest. Literally everything is in shambles.

I haven't started the Omori route yet, but somehow I feel like it's not going to be as dark? Maybe just as hosed up since the implication is that you just go deeper into Sunny's escapism without interacting with your friends, but who knows.

I feel like I'm just rambling here and I'm not really putting my feelings into the game into words very well, so perhaps I'll come back later and give my more personal review of the game as a whole.

Overall, game good. One of the best psychological horror experiences I've had in a long time, if not one of the best ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

trapped mouse posted:

I also don't do well with jumpscares normally, and normally I avoid any horror-esque things that go for this, so I can kinda relate. I don't know if this is feasible for you, but one thing that helped me out was that I played most of the game with a friend I have good rapport with. It might not work for everyone, but it softens the edge out of the scary stuff for me.

That said, while it's definitely true there are some jumpscares in the game, for me a lot of the jumpscares later on aren't as bad as the early ones. And like Framboise said, there's a lot of them that come from distinct places that you'll start to recognize as you play, which helps with the later ones not being as bad.

Everyone has their own limit, so I can't tell what will be best for you. I will say though, as someone who also doesn't handle scary/jumpscare stuff well, that this game is absolutely worth playing. And I see comments on youtube/twitch all the time from other people who also talk about how tough it got for them to handle the scary stuff, but enjoyed the game a lot and they were glad they pushed through.