Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
I think the thing that first hooked me on this game is the first Sunny segment, which portrayed creeping downstairs in the middle of the night when your parents are asleep more accurately than anything else ever has. Creepy

(main route) I think it's ultimately to the game's benefit that the events in the dream world are only loosely coupled with Sunny's life. As has been pointed out by other posters, headspace exists to be a distraction, and it fills that role both narratively as a nonsense story for Sunny to occupy himself with, and metanarratively as a nonsense story for you the player to occupy yourself with because you're stressed out about what's probably coming in the next real world segment.

There's another rpgmaker game about a kid in a dream world that i've been thinking about in relation to Omori a lot lately, called Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass. JatPM takes a much more strict approach to relating everything in its dream world to events or places or people in Jimmy's life, but it makes more sense to do so in that game because Jimmy isn't repressed in the way Sunny is. It's also interesting to compare the intrusive thoughts of Jimmy and Sunny: the pulsating mass in JatPM tends to be abrupt, gruesome, and violent, whereas Omori's subconscious thoughts only momentarily appear in places that tie too closely to his repressed memories. I really appreciated the restraint of Omori's story in that regard. There isn't any blood in Omori for the first two thirds of the game (even when you slice someone in the park), so when it starts showing up in the black space segments it hits a lot harder.

Weird BIAS posted:

Hmm were there specific things that people wanted explained more? I feel like I'd have more fun speculating about the Jawsum subplot being about HERO and MARI getting older and starting to work a bit and leaving Sunny behind. I mean, everyone literally leaves OMORI behind there except for Mari and or Kel for a bit. Or the black space church being a metaphor for the actual funeral, where Sunny chooses to either save Basil there, or deny him and drat him to loneliness.

Not really speculation, but I think it's grimly funny that (lost resort) Mari disappears into the window at the start of day three, and then you immediately run into her picnic at Lost Resort, and she keeps showing up in almost every room and in the elevator. Omori really wanted to blank out the scene at the pier so much that he copy pasted her a hundred times in the following area

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLWXkwdbHGw

PS I agree that the combat is fairly simple, but the music in all the longer fights is so good I didn't mind at all

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
hearing By Your Side all the time is easily the hardest part about playing the alternate route

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

I exited out of the photo album at the start accidentally, do I get a chance to look at it again?

Yes

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

Oh bruh I only watered Basil's flowers once in the prologue. I'm in the second chapter, can I still go back and water them?

you can flower them at any point in the dreamworld segments, and more flower wither as game time increases, so there'll be plenty to water by the time you get there again

Venuz Patrol fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 17, 2021

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
there are corridors in the lower left and lower right of the castle that have more things to do before you'll be allowed to leave

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

dangerdoom volvo posted:

How long is this roughly?

Reaching the main ending was about 20 hours for me taking it easy and trying to find most of the secrets and side quests and so on. That could probably be cut down to 15 or so if you focus exclusively on the main plot? And the alternate route was another 15 or so hours, although only half of that was new content.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
wow thats kinda shameless to wear a shirt with your own face on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Relin posted:

i think it's unrealistic to think aubrey and hero will forgive sunny, and his parents finding out will also distance them from him. basil who is left behind will also receive hate for covering it up for four years. i know the game implies friendship will trump all, but a lot of that is just sunny's imagination. the "leave" ending probably causes less overall additional suffering, despite basil's suicide.

that's insane to think that after playing through everything in the last day of faraway town