Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea so do I. Beep boop oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazz
Feb 27, 2007

Black Bean has a tendency to stare and likes to hide.

Shoehead posted:

It literally sounds like Charlie Brown's parents talking to you, it sucks rear end.

This is how I used to describe it! Thankfully it doesn’t happen to me anymore, but when I used to teach high school pre-diagnosis, I thought I had hearing loss and told my students that on the first day of class. Then I realized it only really happened when I was stressed out (which is all the time when you teach), trying to do something but being interrupted by a student needing something, and fighting to hear them over the background noise of the rest of the class (like when they were doing group work, for example).

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Volmarias posted:

I especially hate, hate, hate voice only phone calls. Video calling is the absolute best and I absolutely prefer it whenever possible, and I'm glad that it exists.

Video calls with ugly people, really? Have you actually dealt with that before? Gross.

E: honestly video calls are great. Replace with phone calls imo. Makes the entire lovely impersonal workday feel like you have a real job in an actual city.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 28, 2024

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Aramoro posted:

Quoting this post but could have been one of a few here.

So I managed a small team and I had someone in my team a while back who suffered from severe ADHD. Problem was they would not engage with the business at all about thier issues. So from the outside thier performance looked all over the place, like they were just a lazy bad employee. I was getting asked to put them on a PIP for performance but I can't raise thier medical issue with HR. I don't even need to know the issue, I just need HR to know so it can be factored into performance goals. The business cannot make accommodations if they don't know there's accommodations to make. Mental health issues are just as relevant as any physical disability and in my experience folk are happy to make an effort. But someone in the business needs to know.

Did eventually get them to chat to HR about it and everything got sorted out in the end. They still work there. So all good in the end.

Not all businesses will welcome that information but even the US has fairly strong ADA protections as I understand.

In the US the employee is also expected to inform their employer of their need for accommodation, if they want one. The employer can then request medical documentation, if they want, and then potentially dispute the reasonableness of the request.

The catch in the US is that the company explicitly does not need to adjust their performance goals or expectations as an accommodation for someone's disability. You seemed to suggest that your HR would take the disability into consideration when evaluating the employee's performance, which is awesome if true. In the US, the goal is to find the employee a "reasonable" accommodation that allows them to meet the same performance expected of a non-disabled peer.

It's not perfect, but in the context of American employment law, the ADA is a real gem, and I'm continuously amazed that it even came to be. There's no chance the ADA would pass these days.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
disabled people crawling, with great effort and visibility, up the steps of the capital building was a hell of a tactic back when the country still had shame.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Thesaurus posted:

The catch in the US is that the company explicitly does not need to adjust their performance goals or expectations as an accommodation for someone's disability. You seemed to suggest that your HR would take the disability into consideration when evaluating the employee's performance, which is awesome if true. In the US, the goal is to find the employee a "reasonable" accommodation that allows them to meet the same performance expected of a non-disabled peer.

It's a complex area for sure, if the accommodation is reduced hours then that's easy because performance scales to your working hours. So for me personally it's about adjusting goals to match what the person is best suited to doing. So for a senior engineer we would expect them to mentor junior engineers, now that might not work for an individual so would just drop that requirement and instead look at other ways they can help, maybe it's technical documentation which would fulfil the brief of communicating with colleagues. Or if it's someone had peaks and troughs in thier performance then looking at how we judge that performance as a whole rather than focusing on the bad times. Perhaps getting better at recognising when things aren't great and getting them off the critical path to avoid stress. It's all a conversation with the employee. This is all easy to do and justify if the employee has engaged with the business.

I would say I work in the UK but for an American company and I think in general we do a good job with this stuff.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

kazz posted:

This is how I used to describe it! Thankfully it doesn’t happen to me anymore, but when I used to teach high school pre-diagnosis, I thought I had hearing loss and told my students that on the first day of class. Then I realized it only really happened when I was stressed out (which is all the time when you teach), trying to do something but being interrupted by a student needing something, and fighting to hear them over the background noise of the rest of the class (like when they were doing group work, for example).

My wife suspects she had ADHD or a similar condition because she'll unintentionally just talk over other people about completely unrelated topics. She claims she simply didn't hear the other person saying anything. The worst part is when it's just the two of us and she interrupts me with "can you believe he did that?" and I have to work out who he is and what he did as she seems to believe I can read her mind when she isn't speaking out loud. She has literally invited me to going away parties for her coworkers in her head, but nowhere else. I had to remind her that her co-workers coming through town tomorrow specifically demanded I show up at dinner despite the fact she told me five different times I was required to be there in the last week. Like, I copied and pasted our IMs about it.

We've been married for ten years, I'm used to it by now. Our new friends ask if she has some sort of head injury due to her inability to listen or focus. I arrange all our events because of this problem, she literally forgot I was DDing a bunch of us this past weekend despite a 40 reply text chain. This woman has an MBA; it's not like she can't apply herself or set goals. She's now concerned that getting a diagnosis and medication may slow her down after 37 years of just dealing with it, which I can understand. At the same time; Jesus Christ, how effective could you be if you were able to pay attention to people talking to you?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
If she's using her MBA, then this behaviour is an asset.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Lazyfire posted:

My wife suspects she had ADHD or a similar condition because she'll unintentionally just talk over other people about completely unrelated topics. She claims she simply didn't hear the other person saying anything. The worst part is when it's just the two of us and she interrupts me with "can you believe he did that?" and I have to work out who he is and what he did as she seems to believe I can read her mind when she isn't speaking out loud. She has literally invited me to going away parties for her coworkers in her head, but nowhere else. I had to remind her that her co-workers coming through town tomorrow specifically demanded I show up at dinner despite the fact she told me five different times I was required to be there in the last week. Like, I copied and pasted our IMs about it.

We've been married for ten years, I'm used to it by now. Our new friends ask if she has some sort of head injury due to her inability to listen or focus. I arrange all our events because of this problem, she literally forgot I was DDing a bunch of us this past weekend despite a 40 reply text chain. This woman has an MBA; it's not like she can't apply herself or set goals. She's now concerned that getting a diagnosis and medication may slow her down after 37 years of just dealing with it, which I can understand. At the same time; Jesus Christ, how effective could you be if you were able to pay attention to people talking to you?

Have you considered that perhaps she just does not want to be seen with you in public? :v:

More seriously, it wouldn't hurt to talk to someone more professional than poo poo posters on the something awful dot com forums.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Every event/task gets written on a big paper calendar pinned in a very prominent place.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Imo I think about anything I've done without medication and I wonder how much I could do on it. Like Goku taking off his weighted training clothes.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

If she's using her MBA, then this behaviour is an asset.

:hmmyes:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

peanut posted:

Every event/task gets written on a big paper calendar pinned in a very prominent place.

I actually really prefer this (plus being able to cross off each day provides a lot of affordance) but the online calendar is much better for being able to see it and make updates from anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

~Coxy posted:

I actually really prefer this (plus being able to cross off each day provides a lot of affordance) but the online calendar is much better for being able to see it and make updates from anywhere.

Make one of those smart mirror type deals so you have the best of both worlds