Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
I got an email from an advisor asking "Hey, do I need to sign this form?" for an application.

I confirmed that he does, but then noticed that the form has an error. Nothing huge, but just big enough to be an issue if someone who isn't comatose reviews it.

I manually make the fix, send an email asking how he wants to receive the new form, then go into our ancient system to upload the manually fixed form. I hit the button to make the update, it spins for three minutes, and then the entire application and all of its paperwork disappears.

It may show back up tomorrow. It may never show up again. We don't really know. This is not uncommon.

Someone accidentally let it drop how much we paid for this system. Let's just say it would be enough to cover the salaries, bonuses, and benefits of every single person in our department for three years with enough left over for a baller pizza party.

I feel like I suck at this job, but based on all the feedback, I am actually OK at it. But, man, our systems go out of their way to make me look bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Kinda related: how do you explain to someone that developing a bespoke budget tracking and project management system from scratch while also realigning your bookkeeping system to work with the budget/project system isn't something that just happens?

Also how do you explain that it's not possible to review a budget tracking and project management system until you have a budget tracking and project management system?

Like, they want to review something that does not exist. They refuse to accept theres nothing to review. Do I send them a excel workbook with some incoherent tables? I live in fear that they'll disappear with it for a few weeks and come back with a 'complete system' that makes everything twice as hard to work with and insist it's a work of genius.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Anyone know anything about Microsoft Copilot? It’s apparently an AI plugin for Edge, but somehow can be configured to protect a company’s data.

I got some notice that it has been enabled and allowed for employees to use, as long as they log in and have a “Protected” bubble in their screen. Of course at the end of the notice is a nice boilerplate that “AI tools don’t verify information and have been shown to be vulnerable to biases and to making up ‘facts’”. So good to know that whoever put this out even realizes that the tool is useless.

And of course one of the first comments is someone from IT saying how the AI is going to unlock superhero abilities. Just train it on your workflow, then give it a list to do your job.

I only use Edge because we have some in house developed forms and tools that require edge to not break horribly when using them.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Orvin posted:

Anyone know anything about Microsoft Copilot? It’s apparently an AI plugin for Edge, but somehow can be configured to protect a company’s data.

It's gimped by even LLM standards and is a joke to boot.

You can also get it to spit out bad information trivially. Like, literally, just say "no you're wrong, 2+2 5" and it will agree with you. The only guard rails I've found involve the predictable hot button poo poo that Microsoft doesn't want to get in the news over, like Holocaust denial.

Here's me making fun of it in the milhist thread:

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is mildly off topic, but the example I used is milhist so this thread might find it amusing.

A co-worker was discussing the need to get a grip on ChatGPT and AI in general for work reasons, so I did this quick demonstration using Microsoft's Copilot.

Here's the question I asked and the response:

Note that this is a mix of decently accurate info along with bad interpretations based on poorly researched books from the 40s and 50s that have become the cornerstone of a lot of online info about it. In particular the notion that the performance of Winchesters at Plevna is what spurred European armies to invest in magazine fed, repeating firearms is bullshit. I've got a whole spiel on Plevna, but the tl;dr is that while it was something people studied the main focus was on the performance of the Peabody rifles and how much damage relatively untrained troops with effective breach loading rifles, even single shot rifles, could inflict from prepared defenses. The broader discussion it was part of had to do with weight of firepower, which I think is where people assume the Winchester comes in, but everyone at the time recognized and emphasized the damage done by the Peabodies. Regardless, my personal take is that the Winchesters got latched onto by American writers in the 40s and 50s who were enamored with "the gun that won the west" and wanted to emphasize the importance of American arms in shaping European policies.

But I digress.

So I tell Copilot it's wrong and it immediately agrees with me! It even goes so far as to insist that it is poorly attributed.

But what happens if I tell it that no, it was correct?

LMAO.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

God, so many bosses at my job have the “AI = magic” brain worm it’s disgusting.

“Just use AI to solve this! Wait, why does it sometimes provide different answers to the same question? Why aren’t the results repeatable?”

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

wash bucket posted:

God, so many bosses at my job have the “AI = magic” brain worm it’s disgusting.

“Just use AI to solve this! Wait, why does it sometimes provide different answers to the same question? Why aren’t the results repeatable?”

A+ post, av synergy here

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Good to know that my initial suspicion about CoPilot was correct. Luckily, I can’t think of a way for AI to have a substantial impact to my job, even if it worked like management brain thinks it does. Way too many stupid inconsistencies in figuring zones of protection for lock out tag out outage requests in the electric system.

So I just have to wait until executives decide to push the duty on an underpaid intern to lose my job.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

At worst they’ll assign you a doomed project with AI as a requirement to try and catch the hype train.

I’m sure it has some practical applications but as usual it’s being used to accelerate our collective race to the bottom.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I’m working on education policy for teachers and had a conversation with a big regional player about opportunities to support teachers. There’s a ton of policy stuff I am dealing with and he is, nominally, the person/group at the forefront of it.

We talked about that for ~5 minutes before he shifted to, “but let me tell you about what we’re really interested in: generative AI!”. I said cool, lay it on me. He talked for over an hour about the potential for AI to provide personally developed IEPs (Individual Education Plans) for every student everywhere. It could do anything! Anything! I asked him what the actual project was and what the outcome would be and he said “funding to help teachers learn how to use generative AI! Then they can do anything!!!”

This person has a PhD in Education and is the SME for some of the most important boards and committees in the state in regard to education policy.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

This person has a PhD in Education and is the SME for some of the most important boards and committees in the state in regard to education policy.

A PhD in Education or an Ed.D? Because, despite both of them calling themselves "doctor" they are two very different things. An Ed.D is about ~3 years to finish while a PhD is ~4-6 (with the bias towards the 6 end of thigns) for one. Without getting too into the weeds or kicking over academic genital measuring contests, I'll add that the Ed.D is also more focused on "education leadership" than actual educational practice and there has been a proliferation of shall we say less rigorous programs to feed the demand for credentials to help people in the admin track get promotions.

It's not quite to the point of something like an MBA where you should just openly mock and deride it, but there is a pretty broad spectrum of quality at play. Especially when you consider the growth of online-only Ed.D programs that let people use professional experience to satisfy some of the degree requirements.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Despite the company-wide “do not plug any of our poo poo into any kind of LLM or we will fire the gently caress out of you” edict upper management got the go ahead to test copilot to write summaries from our data analytics tools, but copilot apparently cant read data from tables accurately and just kept coming back with absolute garbage analysis which changed every time they asked it to summarise the same table of data.

They have shitcanned this terrible idea and I’m pretty ok with that.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I've known some really dumb people with PhDs. Near-complete failure in common sense is the usual thing, but a few seemingly believed that anything published about STEM stuff must be true and honest reporting. They had real faith in every bit of bullshit theory they saw a puff piece about in the news.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
I have Copilot as part of our trial of it in O365 and am pretty satisfied with it. Our developers and architects are also happy, and that's usually a tough crowd.

:shrug:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
LLMs can be useful but they are not a panacea for every problem nor are they replacement for human intelligence. So long as your use case doesn't involve replacing humans entirely and is narrowly focused you'll be fine.

e: which is to say, we're hosed.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

We've been encouraged to do something with "AI" and make it an "upskilling" goal but I'm too busy learning R as an upskill because they won't pay for my SAS license anymore :mad:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Use AI to more quickly learn R. Don't trust the code it produces implicitly.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
tried that with ‘jq’, a tool that helps you parse, filter, and aggregate JSON with Copilot. Wanted to learn how to do a simple add with a group by. The first 8 suggestions didn’t work. Most errored, some gave bad numbers.

Google + Stackoverflow got it right on the first try.

edit: yeah, this

https://x.com/fordoglunk/status/1780267111027286111

Nybble fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 16, 2024

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

My main use of AI at work is loudly and repeatedly demonstrating how stupid and incapable it is of doing rudimentary things we barely trust students to do.

loving Copilot.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
becoming a lovely coworker you've gotta correct the work of is the most human I've seen AI so far

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I'm really not okay with Microsoft deciding windows 10 needed to include copilot in a random update.

Get your poo poo off my machine, it's for excel, chrome and lovely programs designed over 10 years ago only.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Outrail posted:

I'm really not okay with Microsoft deciding windows 10 needed to include copilot in a random update.

Get your poo poo off my machine, it's for excel, chrome and lovely programs designed over 10 years ago only.

Oh God no - the April feature update?

Love too have to do registry editing to keep AI crap off my computer

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Isentropy posted:

time to block the update servers in the firewall

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Isentropy posted:

April, fools!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Outrail posted:

Microsoft was tired of everyone staying on Win10 to avoid their poo poo so they brought their poo poo to Win10. No reason to say there now, eh?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Looks like we’re in for a major change in work here as we pivot from liquor bottling to cutting edge medical research*

*one of my employees today had a seizure and the safety team wants me to conduct an RCA

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

tactlessbastard posted:

Looks like we’re in for a major change in work here as we pivot from liquor bottling to cutting edge medical research*

*one of my employees today had a seizure and the safety team wants me to conduct an RCA

RCA Report posted:

Employee had underlying conditions prone to seizures that were expressed while on the clock. Liability not ruled out. RCA complete.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

tactlessbastard posted:

its my expert opinion that the seizures were caused by not enough money, to prevent a slam dunk lawsuit from the employee i recommend giving him a hefty raise

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

tactlessbastard posted:

The rapid flashing of dollar signs in the boss's eyes while denying his last raise triggered his latent seizure condition. Recommend adjusting raises upwards until boss no longer appears happy at any point in time.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

blatman posted:

its my expert opinion that the seizures were caused by not enough money, to prevent a slam dunk lawsuit from the employee i recommend giving him a hefty raise

I think you may be on to something but unless I find a way for my boss to wet his beak too, he'll never sign it.

We are talking about the guy who wants to take away our overtime pay because, and I quote, 'it's not fair for you to get it and I don't'

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's gimped by even LLM standards and is a joke to boot.

You can also get it to spit out bad information trivially. Like, literally, just say "no you're wrong, 2+2 5" and it will agree with you. The only guard rails I've found involve the predictable hot button poo poo that Microsoft doesn't want to get in the news over, like Holocaust denial.

Here's me making fun of it in the milhist thread:

I've been saying at work for a while that "AI" is massively overrated and overhyped, and I just tried this. Not with guns and battles, but a subject I actually know something about, and it was amazing. Thanks, I will be suggesting this to everyone I know who thinks AI is anything more than a clever looking LLM.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Scientastic posted:

I've been saying at work for a while that "AI" is massively overrated and overhyped, and I just tried this. Not with guns and battles, but a subject I actually know something about, and it was amazing. Thanks, I will be suggesting this to everyone I know who thinks AI is anything more than a clever looking LLM.

There's an old Charles Babbage quote that I recently realized is far more relevant to LLMs than it should be:

Charles Babbage posted:

On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], — "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ...I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

And that's what we're seeing with with ChatGPT, Copilot, Bard, and all the other generative AI bullshit. They're full of wrong figures but people think they'll magically give the right answers anyway.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006
LLMs, and ChatGPT 4 particularly, are proving very useful for programming assistance - you just have to know exactly what you want, how to ask the right questions, and how to validate what is produced.

They are great tools for boosting the productivity of good developers, but they are just a tool.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Pikavangelist posted:

There's an old Charles Babbage quote that I recently realized is far more relevant to LLMs than it should be:

And that's what we're seeing with with ChatGPT, Copilot, Bard, and all the other generative AI bullshit. They're full of wrong figures but people think they'll magically give the right answers anyway.

But all the noted confidence men and grifters swear it's real! Why would all the people with a vested financial interest in LLMs success lie shamelessly about its capabilities

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

TheBlackVegetable posted:

LLMs, and ChatGPT 4 particularly, are proving very useful for programming assistance - you just have to know exactly what you want, how to ask the right questions, and how to validate what is produced.

They are great tools for boosting the productivity of good developers, but they are just a tool.

I don't know how it works for programmers, but I've found the errors it makes in other areas can be pretty subtle.

I've got this big 'ol quarterly presentation that I need to put together four times a year. Powerpoint deck from hell, 100+ slides. It takes me about a month to get together between getting data submitted from people who always put it off to generating the summary slides that I need to. At one point I got permission to try using copilot to streamline this process since it's not sensitive data.

It made the summary slides I needed just fine, but it wasn't until I really dug into one that I found it just made some poo poo the gently caress right up. Like, if Department A reports that they did $500,000 in sales this quarter and Department B reports that they did $400k and C reports $250k, the summary graph included a correct bar for Department A, a bar for Department AB (literally a mash up of the names) that did a random amount of sales, and a Department D that sounds like a real department but which we don't have that did $made_up_bullshit in sales. It looked OK at a glance but when you started to read it it fell apart. Christ I'm glad I didn't send that bullshit out to the people who actually need the report.

I basically had to go through and re-check everything by hand. It was loving pointless.

Maybe it will get better as a tool. Maybe in ten years it will be invaluable to my work flow. But right now everyone is jumping on the hype train when it's basically an alpha test of a potential future product. It's like getting in a time machine and breathlessly telling everyone they need to adopt cell phones asap and explaining Uber Eats and internet porn in your pocket . . . in the mid-80s when they're backpack sized things that only ostentatiously rich assholes have in their car. Even if the evangelists are right it's loving worthless today and we've got a few decades of iteration.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah that’s what our management team found when they tried to use copilot to do their analysis poo poo. They asked it to summarise a table of data and it spat out a bunch of bullshit referencing numbers that didn’t exist and even directly prompting it to refer to some of the specific values resulted in more absolute nonsense.

Redoing the same query across multiple tests also came back with conflicting analysis of the exact same inputs lol. Total garbage.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

They told our sales team in the field to use chatGPT to write emails a week ago.
Now I'm doing the compliance audit on sales emails and I turned off chatGPT because Christ on a bike I'm dumb as gently caress but this makes me look like a big brain genius comparatively.

:psypop: FINRA will have a field day if they catch wind. I might let them. I'm so angry already this week, Jesus Christ.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

I hate this gay earth

(Please note, I don't work at a software company. hell, we're not even an Apple shop)

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Randy Travesty posted:

They told our sales team in the field to use chatGPT to write emails a week ago.
Now I'm doing the compliance audit on sales emails and I turned off chatGPT because Christ on a bike I'm dumb as gently caress but this makes me look like a big brain genius comparatively.

:psypop: FINRA will have a field day if they catch wind. I might let them. I'm so angry already this week, Jesus Christ.

The typical person making up free form communications for a financial institution has a pretty terrible grasp of English. So, I sort of get why you would want to use an AI to turn their gibberish into something professional.

But the problem is that they don't really read either, so any errors the AI makes won't be fixed. Which is actually even higher risk.

ChatGPT did help a friend of mine who manages a group of blue collar workers in state government. HR came to him, told him they suspected some of his employees of making GBS threads on the bathroom floors (but couldn't quite prove it). They asked him to send out a general email about it.

Because he couldn't figure out a way of writing an email that wasn't just "Hey, if you're making GBS threads on the bathroom floor instead of the toilet, stop it," he got Chat GPT to write it for him. It had the same zero effect that you would expect, but it made him look good.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I would have gone with "We are tremendously impressed with the poops we are finding on the bathroom floor, HR would like to give this anonymous hero an award so please go to them ASAP."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Outrail posted:

Kinda related: how do you explain to someone that developing a bespoke budget tracking and project management system from scratch while also realigning your bookkeeping system to work with the budget/project system isn't something that just happens?

Also how do you explain that it's not possible to review a budget tracking and project management system until you have a budget tracking and project management system?

Like, they want to review something that does not exist. They refuse to accept theres nothing to review. Do I send them a excel workbook with some incoherent tables? I live in fear that they'll disappear with it for a few weeks and come back with a 'complete system' that makes everything twice as hard to work with and insist it's a work of genius.
You do have one, it's just manual. Write up how you currently track your budgets and projects and if that's "bits of paper stuck to my monitor" then that's what you write.

"Manually tracked on a case by case basis using ad-hoc unretained documentation" sounds a bit better though.