Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea so do I. Beep boop oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazz
Feb 27, 2007

Black Bean has a tendency to stare and likes to hide.

Shoehead posted:

It literally sounds like Charlie Brown's parents talking to you, it sucks rear end.

This is how I used to describe it! Thankfully it doesn’t happen to me anymore, but when I used to teach high school pre-diagnosis, I thought I had hearing loss and told my students that on the first day of class. Then I realized it only really happened when I was stressed out (which is all the time when you teach), trying to do something but being interrupted by a student needing something, and fighting to hear them over the background noise of the rest of the class (like when they were doing group work, for example).

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Volmarias posted:

I especially hate, hate, hate voice only phone calls. Video calling is the absolute best and I absolutely prefer it whenever possible, and I'm glad that it exists.

Video calls with ugly people, really? Have you actually dealt with that before? Gross.

E: honestly video calls are great. Replace with phone calls imo. Makes the entire lovely impersonal workday feel like you have a real job in an actual city.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 28, 2024

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Aramoro posted:

Quoting this post but could have been one of a few here.

So I managed a small team and I had someone in my team a while back who suffered from severe ADHD. Problem was they would not engage with the business at all about thier issues. So from the outside thier performance looked all over the place, like they were just a lazy bad employee. I was getting asked to put them on a PIP for performance but I can't raise thier medical issue with HR. I don't even need to know the issue, I just need HR to know so it can be factored into performance goals. The business cannot make accommodations if they don't know there's accommodations to make. Mental health issues are just as relevant as any physical disability and in my experience folk are happy to make an effort. But someone in the business needs to know.

Did eventually get them to chat to HR about it and everything got sorted out in the end. They still work there. So all good in the end.

Not all businesses will welcome that information but even the US has fairly strong ADA protections as I understand.

In the US the employee is also expected to inform their employer of their need for accommodation, if they want one. The employer can then request medical documentation, if they want, and then potentially dispute the reasonableness of the request.

The catch in the US is that the company explicitly does not need to adjust their performance goals or expectations as an accommodation for someone's disability. You seemed to suggest that your HR would take the disability into consideration when evaluating the employee's performance, which is awesome if true. In the US, the goal is to find the employee a "reasonable" accommodation that allows them to meet the same performance expected of a non-disabled peer.

It's not perfect, but in the context of American employment law, the ADA is a real gem, and I'm continuously amazed that it even came to be. There's no chance the ADA would pass these days.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
disabled people crawling, with great effort and visibility, up the steps of the capital building was a hell of a tactic back when the country still had shame.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Thesaurus posted:

The catch in the US is that the company explicitly does not need to adjust their performance goals or expectations as an accommodation for someone's disability. You seemed to suggest that your HR would take the disability into consideration when evaluating the employee's performance, which is awesome if true. In the US, the goal is to find the employee a "reasonable" accommodation that allows them to meet the same performance expected of a non-disabled peer.

It's a complex area for sure, if the accommodation is reduced hours then that's easy because performance scales to your working hours. So for me personally it's about adjusting goals to match what the person is best suited to doing. So for a senior engineer we would expect them to mentor junior engineers, now that might not work for an individual so would just drop that requirement and instead look at other ways they can help, maybe it's technical documentation which would fulfil the brief of communicating with colleagues. Or if it's someone had peaks and troughs in thier performance then looking at how we judge that performance as a whole rather than focusing on the bad times. Perhaps getting better at recognising when things aren't great and getting them off the critical path to avoid stress. It's all a conversation with the employee. This is all easy to do and justify if the employee has engaged with the business.

I would say I work in the UK but for an American company and I think in general we do a good job with this stuff.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

kazz posted:

This is how I used to describe it! Thankfully it doesn’t happen to me anymore, but when I used to teach high school pre-diagnosis, I thought I had hearing loss and told my students that on the first day of class. Then I realized it only really happened when I was stressed out (which is all the time when you teach), trying to do something but being interrupted by a student needing something, and fighting to hear them over the background noise of the rest of the class (like when they were doing group work, for example).

My wife suspects she had ADHD or a similar condition because she'll unintentionally just talk over other people about completely unrelated topics. She claims she simply didn't hear the other person saying anything. The worst part is when it's just the two of us and she interrupts me with "can you believe he did that?" and I have to work out who he is and what he did as she seems to believe I can read her mind when she isn't speaking out loud. She has literally invited me to going away parties for her coworkers in her head, but nowhere else. I had to remind her that her co-workers coming through town tomorrow specifically demanded I show up at dinner despite the fact she told me five different times I was required to be there in the last week. Like, I copied and pasted our IMs about it.

We've been married for ten years, I'm used to it by now. Our new friends ask if she has some sort of head injury due to her inability to listen or focus. I arrange all our events because of this problem, she literally forgot I was DDing a bunch of us this past weekend despite a 40 reply text chain. This woman has an MBA; it's not like she can't apply herself or set goals. She's now concerned that getting a diagnosis and medication may slow her down after 37 years of just dealing with it, which I can understand. At the same time; Jesus Christ, how effective could you be if you were able to pay attention to people talking to you?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
If she's using her MBA, then this behaviour is an asset.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Lazyfire posted:

My wife suspects she had ADHD or a similar condition because she'll unintentionally just talk over other people about completely unrelated topics. She claims she simply didn't hear the other person saying anything. The worst part is when it's just the two of us and she interrupts me with "can you believe he did that?" and I have to work out who he is and what he did as she seems to believe I can read her mind when she isn't speaking out loud. She has literally invited me to going away parties for her coworkers in her head, but nowhere else. I had to remind her that her co-workers coming through town tomorrow specifically demanded I show up at dinner despite the fact she told me five different times I was required to be there in the last week. Like, I copied and pasted our IMs about it.

We've been married for ten years, I'm used to it by now. Our new friends ask if she has some sort of head injury due to her inability to listen or focus. I arrange all our events because of this problem, she literally forgot I was DDing a bunch of us this past weekend despite a 40 reply text chain. This woman has an MBA; it's not like she can't apply herself or set goals. She's now concerned that getting a diagnosis and medication may slow her down after 37 years of just dealing with it, which I can understand. At the same time; Jesus Christ, how effective could you be if you were able to pay attention to people talking to you?

Have you considered that perhaps she just does not want to be seen with you in public? :v:

More seriously, it wouldn't hurt to talk to someone more professional than poo poo posters on the something awful dot com forums.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Every event/task gets written on a big paper calendar pinned in a very prominent place.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Imo I think about anything I've done without medication and I wonder how much I could do on it. Like Goku taking off his weighted training clothes.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

If she's using her MBA, then this behaviour is an asset.

:hmmyes:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

peanut posted:

Every event/task gets written on a big paper calendar pinned in a very prominent place.

I actually really prefer this (plus being able to cross off each day provides a lot of affordance) but the online calendar is much better for being able to see it and make updates from anywhere.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

~Coxy posted:

I actually really prefer this (plus being able to cross off each day provides a lot of affordance) but the online calendar is much better for being able to see it and make updates from anywhere.

Make one of those smart mirror type deals so you have the best of both worlds

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm on a team meeting, and we invited someone from the IT Security team to chat with us about the Distribution Groups we have here.

He asked how many distribution groups we thought were here. None of us were even close. It's over 90,000.

To put it in perspective, this place has under 1500 employees and maybe another 800 contractors.

Edit: But it's an insurance company that sells through independent agents, so that's the main reason there's so many. Agents comer and go and get put on one DG over here, another over there, whole groups are functionally empty, but no one ones that job to go through them all cause...yeah.

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm on a team meeting, and we invited someone from the IT Security team to chat with us about the Distribution Groups we have here.

He asked how many distribution groups we thought were here. None of us were even close. It's over 90,000.

To put it in perspective, this place has under 1500 employees and maybe another 800 contractors.

Edit: But it's an insurance company that sells through independent agents, so that's the main reason there's so many. Agents comer and go and get put on one DG over here, another over there, whole groups are functionally empty, but no one ones that job to go through them all cause...yeah.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

DrBouvenstein posted:

powershell delete my homie.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I would be skeptical that the quoted number is actually the number of security groups (aka plain old AD groups.)
It could also be the sum of distribution groups and security groups, since the easiest way to see the number is to login to Azure Portal and look at the "groups" number.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

As often in this thread, I'm glad I don't know what any of this means

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Thesaurus posted:

As often in this thread, I'm glad I don't know what any of this means

I think somebody opened a bunch of tabs and never gets around to closing them

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Would you believe

that my boss wants another $500 of the same peach jelly

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
Do y'all cry at work?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Chewbecca posted:

Do y'all cry at work?

Do tears of laughter count? Cause if so then regularly

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

Chewbecca posted:

Do y'all cry at work?

Only when I work from home. So 3-4 days a week, tops.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Barudak posted:

Do tears of laughter count? Cause if so then regularly

I mean, sure

Wish I cried from laughter instead of from despair, that sounds cool as hell

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Chewbecca posted:

I mean, sure

Wish I cried from laughter instead of from despair, that sounds cool as hell

Sounds like somebody doesnt want a new job, they need a new job.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Barudak posted:

Sounds like somebody doesnt want a new job, they need a new job.

That may well be true, but given I only started this year I'm not sure it would look too crash hot on the CV :sigh:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You just tell the interviewer at the next place that you didn’t feel you fit culturally and leave the “because they were an rear end in a top hat clownshow” part out.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Chewbecca posted:

That may well be true, but given I only started this year I'm not sure it would look too crash hot on the CV :sigh:

If its the first time you have job hopped inside a year, noone is going to give a poo poo.

If its the 10th time you have job hopped inside a year, people will give a poo poo

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Mzuri posted:

Only when I work from home. So 3-4 days a week, tops.

:same:

NPR Journalizard posted:

If its the first time you have job hopped inside a year, noone is going to give a poo poo.

If its the 10th time you have job hopped inside a year, people will give a poo poo

Last role scraped in at 12 months, org before was 16 months across a few different roles (and they definitely wanted me to stay).

I am actively looking cos when you have a job it's easier to get a job (truism), but this role was hard enough to get. It's brutal out there.

I'm actively looking but idk goons

:smith:

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Pirate Radar posted:

I think somebody opened a bunch of tabs and never gets around to closing them

I actually know a few people who have hundreds of tabs open in their browser at any given time. It seems to work for them but I'd get lost trying to find anything.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Lazyfire posted:

She's now concerned that getting a diagnosis and medication may slow her down after 37 years of just dealing with it, which I can understand. At the same time; Jesus Christ, how effective could you be if you were able to pay attention to people talking to you?

Respectfully, life with my partner medicated isssss so much better than unmedicated, I now feel so much more like I have an equal partner, it is absolutely worth it.

Also re: auditory processing issues, this video does a good job of expressing what it feels like, as well as the fact it can be frustrating for the listener who is mishearing just as much for the speaker
https://youtube.com/watch?v=wg5TTPAZrNU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Chewbecca posted:

Do y'all cry at work?

Twice.

Once was when my dog got diagnosed with cancer and my boss took me into a meeting room and we both cried for a bit and talked about dogs before he told me to just work from home to spend more time with mine.

The other time was when a boss sent me home the day after i was out for a stomach bug, but that wasn't so much genuine emotion as it was lack of sleep, dehydration, and lingering fatigue from trains leaving both stations hourly all night.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Chewbecca posted:

No harm in trying. It's not like another company will anti-hire you.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

My workplace has an "Employee Assistance Program" - a thing in Australia (and probably elsewhere) where your company pays an external company to provide counselling and whatever. A feel good nothing thing usually.

Anyway I had a phone appointment with a counsellor and I'm crying and the lady is doing the usual spiel. I'm telling her events from just the last 3 weeks and I poo poo you not, she moves away from the motivational speech and starts floating finding another job as the best option. "this isn't a dress rehearsal, this is your life. At a certain point you have to ask yourself - is this what you want to spend your time doing?". I was on the phone like :dogstare:

She's right, I just didn't expect her to say it. In fairness, she gets paid either way so why not.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Outrail posted:

E: ^^^ or that

If you're doing nothing for 8 hours a day can you enroll in a course and get paid to pick up an advanced degree?

I got the majority of my master's and doctorate degree done on company time this way :smugdog:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Chewbecca posted:

My workplace has an "Employee Assistance Program" - a thing in Australia (and probably elsewhere) where your company pays an external company to provide counselling and whatever. A feel good nothing thing usually.

Anyway I had a phone appointment with a counsellor and I'm crying and the lady is doing the usual spiel. I'm telling her events from just the last 3 weeks and I poo poo you not, she moves away from the motivational speech and starts floating finding another job as the best option. "this isn't a dress rehearsal, this is your life. At a certain point you have to ask yourself - is this what you want to spend your time doing?". I was on the phone like :dogstare:

She's right, I just didn't expect her to say it. In fairness, she gets paid either way so why not.

I had a similar experience with a management coach hired by my company he was just like "You know, work is not that important, you need to set boundaries and probably reduce your availability for work, Maybe just turn your work phone off"

:aaaaa:

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Chewbecca posted:

I love situations like this, where the company is just providing X service bc it serves as a good culture band-aid to say you care about your employees, and then the service actually does care and ends up loving up the company's jam

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dance Officer posted:

I actually know a few people who have hundreds of tabs open in their browser at any given time. It seems to work for them but I'd get lost trying to find anything.

Chrome has a dropdown menu with all your open tabs and recently closed tabs. There's a search field! It's the downward-pointing arrow above the settings menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Chewbecca posted:

When I used my company's referral service the first time like 10 years ago, I ended up with a counsellor that was so good I saw her for many many years after out of my own pocket.

Two years ago when I tried to ask for help finding a grief counsellor due to many deaths in my family, I got a workbook webpage on Grief that had balloons and fireworks after every segment you completed.

No idea if that's still the case but I did get a nice apology from HR and the other company as well after I lost my poo poo at them. Nothing says we care more than a light show after pouring your heart out.