Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Hotel Kpro posted:

I’ve had very little work to do since I started this job in November. Super close to being done with my degree and they said I’ll get promoted when it’s done. Feels weird being rewarded for not doing very much real work but I’ll take it. Maybe they’ll expect more from me? Who knows

I'm in a similar situation, it feels weird. Excelling in my current role to the point where I'm getting callouts in other departments' all hands meetings for what a good job I'm doing takes about as much effort as barely scraping by in every role I've ever had before. I'm still getting 6-7 hours of free time every day to sit around playing videogames or working on classwork. It's truly a blessed job, congrats on finding one :cheers:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

NPR Journalizard posted:

Also, it turns out that I work with multiple people who are boomer enough to prefer to talk on phone, but savvy enough to know how to do a screen share through Teams, so i get people calling me and then sharing their screen and its really annoying.
There's a couple people at my place who always turn on their camera when I Teams call them. It's so awkward, I don't need to be staring at you while we talk.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Cthulu Carl posted:

I learned this One Weird Trick years ago: When you hang up, do it while you're talking. Makes it much more believable that it was a connection issue because who hangs up on a call when their mid-sentence?

This is 100% true.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Knormal posted:

There's a couple people at my place who always turn on their camera when I Teams call them. It's so awkward, I don't need to be staring at you while we talk.

Meanwhile their boss gives them a hard time for never turning their camera on. Can’t win.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Knormal posted:

Ok continuing Teams chat - I think some people think that's something that is expected - like it is a video chat program and that's all it can be used for. Same people in my org never use it for quick chat questions, calendar-checks, etc. All Calls are VideoCalls (tm)

Excuse me, I need to answer the 10 emails in my box "can you be on a teams call at X:pm today?"

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Hotel Kpro posted:

I’ve had very little work to do since I started this job in November. Super close to being done with my degree and they said I’ll get promoted when it’s done. Feels weird being rewarded for not doing very much real work but I’ll take it. Maybe they’ll expect more from me? Who knows

Often your job gets easier and easier the higher up you climb. The people earning the least are the ones working the hardest. My current promotion is so much less stressful than what I had been doing.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I loving hate “AI.” gently caress you!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Thesaurus posted:

Often your job gets easier and easier the higher up you climb. The people earning the least are the ones working the hardest. My current promotion is so much less stressful than what I had been doing.

Yeah my average working week now is like 60% sat with my thumb up my rear end, 30% doing my BAU poo poo and 10% white knuckle action.

The white knuckle times are infinitely more stressful than any of the poo poo I had to do all day every day when I joined the company but I get so much more downtime (hell, any downtime at all) that it’s a way better gig.

That and the much fatter paycheque make it all worthwhile.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah my average working week now is like 60% sat with my thumb up my rear end, 30% doing my BAU poo poo and 10% white knuckle action.

The white knuckle times are infinitely more stressful than any of the poo poo I had to do all day every day when I joined the company but I get so much more downtime (hell, any downtime at all) that it’s a way better gig.

That and the much fatter paycheque make it all worthwhile.

Excellent work, Agent 47.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I have been fascinated by the venting about students thread for how the students are writing assignments with LLM (badly) and the anti-plagiarism/AI tools the schools have are even worse. Hasn't really hit my industry much yet. I used it to write some basic input/output tools for me that I just had to minorly unfuck.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

As with almost everything it’s not necessarily the thing but the culture surrounding it. I have people making high 6 figure salaries gaslighting me to my face in order to justify their continued existence. Go gently caress a pole up your rear end, AI!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

It's the same basic problem that machine translation introduced to with the same basic parameters.

Yeah, now anyone on the planet can get google to tell them how to say "Are there stairs in your house?" in every loving language imaginable. And yeah, that has some utility. It's great to be able to punch in some random text I need to know in a language that I don't have any clue about and get a pretty OK feel for what it's saying.

But it's not a universal translator and the people who think it's going to solve all your language problems are idiots. No, google translate doesn't mean you can skip hiring a native speaker to localize your documents. No, it won't let you have a meaningful conversation in real time with someone. Yeah, if you really want to engage with people from that country you're going to have to put in the grunt work to learn the language, or at least hire someone who did.

It's a useful tool. I speak pretty decent German and use it all the time to double check something I'm working on. Weird word I don't recognize? At this point it can be faster than hitting up ye olde dictionary. Writing a letter and stumbling over a spot of grammar I don't remember? Yoink. But lmao if you think it's good for anything beyond that.

And, similar to the current LLM bullshit, it really had a deleterious impact on education. There are whole swaths of kids who get through Spanish 101 by google translating their homework and run into a brick loving wall the second they need to do something that goes beyond that. I knew a lady who taught French at the university I got my degree from who called a C in second year French the "google grade."

Same basic poo poo. Right now it's crude as gently caress and has limited uses. In a decade it will be less crude and have more uses. But it's not the panacea for paying SMEs to do their job that MBAs are trying to convince themselves it is.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Volmarias posted:

Any older than... COBOL on a mainframe??? Or did you mean no older than 2020?

Very weirdly sloppy of the consultant to not consider what the target runtime would be if it's not "basically whatever's current"
Yeah, no older than 2020. I don't think Java was much of a thing when we spun up the mainframe in 1995. And we're a government agency so also pretty sure we're not using pirated software.

On top of all the other poo poo we've been dealing with our security group decided unilaterally that I didn't need the same permissions I had in the old environment so now I can't do half my job. :suicide: My boss was supposed to leave over an hour ago and he's still working, the tickets are still rolling in and we're down 2 other people due to previously scheduled time off. I'm going to get very drunk this weekend.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

SubponticatePoster posted:

Yeah, no older than 2020. I don't think Java was much of a thing when we spun up the mainframe in 1995. And we're a government agency so also pretty sure we're not using pirated software.

On top of all the other poo poo we've been dealing with our security group decided unilaterally that I didn't need the same permissions I had in the old environment so now I can't do half my job. :suicide: My boss was supposed to leave over an hour ago and he's still working, the tickets are still rolling in and we're down 2 other people due to previously scheduled time off. I'm going to get very drunk this weekend.

Just to clarify, from Oracle's perspective, not paying them their blood money every year means it is pirated, not that y'all made the conscious effort to go torrent something with a cracker.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Java has been free for like a decade and a half and not having a modern JVM anywhere you are deploying business apps is a collosal gently caress up of both the customer and the consultants.

Congratulations, your digital system is worse than a DVD player.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

zedprime posted:

Yeah, at least a DVD player works!

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Today it was declared we have no time for team leader meetings, because there is too much work. Without team leader meetings, we have no way to know how they want us to do the work. Management!

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
My boomer coworker is enraged over diversity training. If they make him take diversity training, he will quit on the spot.

There is no diversity training. He's just mad at the idea of it.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Sounds like it would be a good training then

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sounds like you should ask management to introduce diversity training.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

zedprime posted:

Java has been free for like a decade and a half and not having a modern JVM anywhere you are deploying business apps is a collosal gently caress up of both the customer and the consultants.

It was free for a decade and a half, then Oracle decided businesses needed to start paying if they wanted to use it past a certain version.

https://www.java.com/download/ie_manual.jsp posted:

Important Oracle Java License Information
The Oracle Java License changed for releases starting April 16, 2019.
The Oracle Technology Network License Agreement for Oracle Java SE is substantially different from prior Oracle Java licenses. This license permits certain uses, such as personal use and development use, at no cost -- but other uses authorized under prior Oracle Java licenses may no longer be available. Please review the terms carefully before downloading and using this product. An FAQ is available here.

Commercial license and support is available with a low cost Java SE Subscription.
So take a wild guess on what date my state agency decided pushing out the latest patched version of Java to our PCs was suddenly no longer a major security concern.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Salami Surgeon posted:

My boomer coworker is enraged over diversity training. If they make him take diversity training, he will quit on the spot.

There is no diversity training. He's just mad at the idea of it.

tell him that actions speak louder than words. quit now and take a principled stand against the very idea of diversity training. quit later and you're just the dude that wanted to get out of diversity training.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

Sounds like you should ask management to introduce diversity training.

Clearly they need it for their blatant ageism. Get to it :colbert:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The only proper reason to use "AI" is to have it create pictures of silly stuff. Last week one of my coworkers had his bday and he made some image of a model-like handsome dude playing with legos (i.e. himself) and plastered it everywhere.

Sywert of Thieves fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 20, 2024

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Knormal posted:

It was free for a decade and a half, then Oracle decided businesses needed to start paying if they wanted to use it past a certain version.

So take a wild guess on what date my state agency decided pushing out the latest patched version of Java to our PCs was suddenly no longer a major security concern.

lol

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

DeeplyConcerned posted:

tell him that actions speak louder than words. quit now and take a principled stand against the very idea of diversity training. quit later and you're just the dude that wanted to get out of diversity training.

I've been telling him to quit. He's too in love with the idea of working. He can WFH but comes to the office every day to feel useful. But now they are expecting him to actually work, and he's threatening to quit over that too. My guess is that he will keep doing what he's always done until they fire him.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Salami Surgeon posted:

I've been telling him to quit. He's too in love with the idea of working. He can WFH but comes to the office every day to feel useful. But now they are expecting him to actually work, and he's threatening to quit over that too. My guess is that he will keep doing what he's always done until they fire him.

That or promote him

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Sywert of Thieves posted:

The only proper reason to use "AI" is to have it create pictures of silly stuff. Last week I've of my coworkers had his bday and he made some image of a model-like handsome dude playing with legos (i.e. himself) and plastered it everywhere.

Even that is still stealing poo poo from real artists.

We need a Butlerian Jihad, asap

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

zedprime posted:

Oracle gotta Oracle.

quote:

Costs of Java licensing in 2023

According to the new Oracle Java SE Universal Subscription Global Price List, the number of required licenses is calculated based on the number of employees, and not just the employees actually utilizing the Java programs, but all company employees, including "all of Your full-time, part-time, temporary employees, and all of the full-time employees, part-time employees and temporary employees of Your agents, contractors, outsourcers, and consultants that support Your internal business operations."

What is more, the Java SE Universal Subscription Programs can be installed on up to 50,000 processors, not counting desktops, regardless of the number of employees. If the quantity of processors exceeds 50,000, additional licenses must be purchased.

The price list starts at $15 per month per employee - see https://www.oracle.com/a/ocom/docs/corporate/pricing/java-se-subscription-pricelist-5028356.pdf if you care.

quote:

The old (2019-on) subscription model was $2.50 a month for each desktop user and $25 a month for each Java SE processor ['*]

A company with 250 employees, 20 Java desktop users and eight Java installed processors would pay $3,000 a year under the old licensing model, according to House of Brick.

Under the new model, the price increases to $45,000, 15 times the old amount.

For a company with 250 employees with all employees using Java desktop and 48 Java installed processors, the price under the old model was $21,900 a year.

Under the new model, the price increases to $45,000 a year, more than double the prior amount.

Oracle started charging license fees for Java in 2019 for patches and updates, according to The Register. In 2021, it released a no-fee license with free quarterly updates for three years for Java 17.

* using Oracle's funky rules for what a "processor" is and that VMs don't count - e.g. if you put your 2cpu VM on a 500 cpu server, you need to buy a 500 cpu license).

The way around that poo poo is to write to OpenJDK but that's something that really needs to be specified BEFORE software development starts.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

I work for a large corporation as a principal engineer. This is a company that many think of as a leader in its field. The systems we're forced to use are outdated, in some cases, by several decades. We have principal and higher engineers performing manual transactions in systems that were made 20+ years ago, without any updates to modernize them. They're so in bed with the old version of software that they'll effectively never get away from it. Rather than have a project team to work on moving to a modern system, that would free up literally thousand of engineering hours annually at my site alone, they double down by building more and more systems that have to communicate with this software. It's unbelievably slow, extremely limited in its capability, and non-compliant to the regulations, in some cases. Literal gaps to required regulations and nobody seems to care. They tout lean mindsets and have six sigma courses, but then set their engineers free to work in these old, manual, slow, awful systems.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Knormal posted:

We did a massive push to get Java out of the environment last year. Our licensing was set to go from $3 million to $12 million and lol, gently caress that.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
TIL people still pay for Oracle's flavor of Java lol

Edit: because of all the open source versions available for free.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
the company i work for is going all in on AI lol. it's something existing customers have never asked for. anyway, company probably wont exist in a year

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
:v: *Struggling to deliver programming and run organisation* "I need help!"

:wal: "We need to focus on program delivery and organisational management!"

:v: *Expends considerable effort leveraging sources of funding, hiring staff, and increasing capacity to manage organization and deliver on programs*

:wal: "Wow, this is a huge budget."

:v:

:wal: How will your team deliver on all this? Maybe we need to think about trimming it down."

:suicide:

The more money you spend on something the more work it is. Here's how it works:

Let's say you pay one person to build a house. They are overworked and unhappy.

But if you pay two people to build the same house, it'll cost twice as much. Because the expenses doubled the same job is harder to do than it was before, and everyone will be more stressed and overworked.

Now buy some equipment to help the two people do the job, that's even more expenses! You've made it harder, you idiot!The job is now basically impossible and everyone will quit.

What you should do is cut the original worker's hours, give them no support and tell them to work faster, this decreases expenses and makes the job easier.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

johnny sack posted:

I work for a large corporation as a principal engineer. This is a company that many think of as a leader in its field. The systems we're forced to use are outdated, in some cases, by several decades. We have principal and higher engineers performing manual transactions in systems that were made 20+ years ago, without any updates to modernize them. They're so in bed with the old version of software that they'll effectively never get away from it. Rather than have a project team to work on moving to a modern system, that would free up literally thousand of engineering hours annually at my site alone, they double down by building more and more systems that have to communicate with this software. It's unbelievably slow, extremely limited in its capability, and non-compliant to the regulations, in some cases. Literal gaps to required regulations and nobody seems to care. They tout lean mindsets and have six sigma courses, but then set their engineers free to work in these old, manual, slow, awful systems.

Hey, I know this song. Except maybe the “leader in the field part”. The electric utility I work for has like 4-5 different pieces of software cludged together for outage requests. And none of it is automated in a good way. If you need to move/change anything on an outage request, you have to talk to a couple of different departments in a specific order, or the changes either are not possible, or get undone.

Add in some time pressure due to the distribution side of the company being critically understaffed, so they are not looking at requests until 10 days out from the outage start. Which leads to an almost continual scramble to get things fixed on the paperwork so that an outage can be properly set up.

And the executives wonder why none of our projects can hit their budget anymore.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

withoutclass posted:

You're probably paying numbers that at least look similar to a CEO in computer janitor consultants (if not FTE Java nerds eeew) to support OpenJDK. But also you probably should out of principle unless you are already deep in Oracles other software (eeeew) and getting unpublished partner discounts on the lot of it all.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

withoutclass posted:

Corporate IT is all about vendor support contracts with SLAs.

I've stopped bothering to give first hand RCAs and poo poo for a lot of stuff because it'll be easier to get whatever accepted if I just get my vendor to say in a ticket the thing I was going to say.

e: also your dogshit java code is performing poorly on the server not because the server lacks cores or ram, it's because your dogshit spaghetti code stitched together by the lowest bidder code farm who bait and switched you with the sales engineer who was competent with the fresh off the streets warm bodies they actually assigned to the project suck at coding.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 20, 2024

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Hey man, he's a weird one I know, but he's a solid man.

Hairy Right Hook fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 20, 2024

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Dameius posted:

Corporate IT is all about vendor support contracts with SLAs.

I've stopped bothering to give first hand RCAs and poo poo for a lot of stuff because it'll be easier to get whatever accepted if I just get my vendor to say in a ticket the thing I was going to say.

e: also your dogshit java code is performing poorly on the server not because the server lacks cores or ram, it's because your dogshit spaghetti code stitched together by the lowest bidder code farm who bait and switched you with the sales engineer who was competent with the fresh off the streets warm bodies they actually assigned to the project suck at coding.

How did you get access to my code??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

withoutclass posted:

How did you get access to my code??

Copy and pasted it into production from stack overflow.