Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Starting in the new year, the higher ups in IT decided that everyone on our team (Deskside support, not any other IT group) now have to meet daily/weekly ticket quotas.

Problem is, despite having, functionally, 3 managers of the deskside team, we self-assign tickets. And as anyone can tell you, not all tickets are equal, and we ALL know the guys who just F5 that queue till they see a real easy one and assign it to themselves.

And then there's the two guys who never really look at the queue, because they've convinced whole departments to bypass the internal IT policy and directly submit tickets to them, rather than use our online portal or call the helpdesk. So they get tickets that would normally go to the helpdesk (lowest level IT, mostly offshore, the deskside team I'm on is basically one level above that) . Things like "account is locked" or "please reset my password."

Before it was just a nuisance, but now, with the stupid quotes, there's infighting with people getting mad if you "steal" their ticket, others literally doing Make-Work and creating tickets out of whole cloth, or basically splitting what is really 1 tickets into 2 or 3, etc...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Full Metal Jackass posted:

There's a bunch of people absolutely throwing a fit about having a 10 year retention limit for files on the new onedrive. I guess it's based off of each file's last modified date. So to satiate the crowd they are asking IT if there is some kind of script they can run to mass modify every file's last modified by date, once they allow all the boomers access back to the network drive to move over their gigs worth of year 2000s PDF'd emails they've never opened in 15 years.

We have a 18 month retention policy on emails (a few exceptions for some shared mailboxes/folders and a few people, mostly in legal or C-level) and boy oh boy the complaints.

Like....if that old email is so important, why do you have it just "hanging around" your inbox? Move it to another folder*, save it outside of Outlook, move the contents to OneNote, loving literally anything else other than "use Inbox as a filing cabinet."

*This may or may not work, but often retention policies only apply to the default folders, so Inbox (and any sub folders under inbox,) sent, and deleted items. But you can make a folder that's in your mailbox but NOT a sub-folder of the inbox, and it might not get deleted as part of the retention policy.

But again, depends on how it's config'd, honestly, just save them out or copy the contents to a different document if they're so important.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

I archive all my emails because it's great to pull up emails from 3-4 years ago with pictures/screenshots of the exact same problem I'm seeing right now along with the assurance from the engineering manager that the defect will never happen again, and then drop it on that managers desk and watch him sweat

This is the answer to you people whining about not getting to keep your five year old email chains about where to get lunch.

Export to a PST. Problem solved. You can then import it back into Outlook and browse, search, etc... in it as if it was your active inbox, and it's immune from retention policies.

A few months ago I get paged in the middle of the night for Exchange failing for a different customer. Because no one there ever loving deleted anything, and no polices were set up, everyone had MASSIVE mailboxes and the Exchange database (cause it was set up improperly with just a single database) hit the 1 TB limit.

Cause no one ever deleted anything, it brought down their entire email system. Well, temporarily, at any rate, it wasn't THAT bad, had to create a new DB and move a couple mailboxes to get it back up and running, but my point is, delete at least SOME of your emails? Please?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Inept posted:

I think the answer here is to set up quotas and not expect people to know there's a magical limit where everything will break, because lol what a basic business function failure.

Oh, I agree, this was a new customer to us and we hadn't yet finished a full evaluation/recommendation so it took us by surprise.

But I guess quotas might be better than time retention? Honestly, the company that does the 18-month thing might HAVE to do it? I don't know, they do insurance stuff, and I don't know the ins and outs of what those regulations are, so maybe there's some sort of legal/regulatory reason it has to be at 18 months?

Unrelated to that, though still email/Exchange related.

For the deskside support team, if we take time off/a sick day, we don't JUST put an event on our calendar. We have to send out the invite to the whole deskside team, so it goes on EVERYONE'S calendar. Of course, because of this, you can't actually mark the time off as "Out of office" or "busy," it always has to stay as "free" because otherwise when you accept someone else's vacation invite, it marks YOU as busy or out of office.

Why in the actual gently caress do we do this, instead of just marking it on our personal and a single shared deskside calendar?
If your guess is, "Some idiot manager doesn't want to have to look at multiple calendars to see who's in/out and wants it right there on his" then you're right.

I think someone tried to tell him he can have the shared "Deskside Calendar" show events overlayed on his personal one, it doesn't HAVE to be side-by-side, but I guess he didn't like that either?

So it results in people either trying to schedule me for things even if I'm not there because it doesn't show me as busy or out of office, or someone makes their vacation event and sets it to out of office by mistake so then we ALL get marked out of office and people don't schedule us for things we need, or it sometimes auto-rejects or what have you when using the scheduling assistant.

A huge pain in the rear end.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Bad Purchase posted:

No, Skype isn't being discontinued. It's fake Skype that's getting discontinued, also known as Skype™ for Business™. This used to be called Microsoft Lync, which they rebranded when they bought Skype, but they didn't actually merge the two projects together. Their similarities end at the logo and blue color scheme.

I've been forced to use it at work for years, and it's the buggiest, least reliable chat system I've ever had to use on any platform and I can't wait for it to be buried and forgotten by history. The IT dept where I work has been promising to roll out Teams as a replacement for more than a year now. Please dreadlords of IT, take a break from dreaming up new password complexity requirements and push the button on this one.

Yeah, I've seen a lot of complaints about Teams, often in this thread, but Lordy-loo Skype for Business is soooo much worse and why would anyone prefer that?

I'm not saying Teams is perfect, it definitely suffers from feature bloat, but the basic things that it replaces Skype for (chatting, calls, screen sharing, etc...) is worlds better.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

One of the biggest issues I see re: being on mute is the levels of muting available.

At the "top", as it were, is the meeting organizer's ability to mute you. Regardless of what you do, that will override it.

Below that, whatever app your using can mute you in your controls. Ok, unmute within there.

Oh, the hardware button to mute the mic was on, ok, click that to unmute.

Oh, wait, Windows is muting your mic. Ok, where is that setting? Is is sound settings from right clicking the speaker in the system tray, is it volume mier? Is it just the option that says "Sound"?

Oh, sound settings takes you to the Win 10 Settings, and that has some controls, but not what you need...you need to actually go to control panel -> sound, right click the headset, then go to properties, then the Advanced tab, and THEN you can uncheck the box that says "Allow apps to take exclusive control of this device" because you were in a Zoom call earlier, but Zoom is still running in the background and won't release control of the headset to Teams unless you uncheck that box.

Edit: Oh, and plenty of people work in VMs, so in addition to the Windows volume setting of their VM, there's also the volume setting of whatever device they use to connect to the VM, which can be:
Personal laptop or desktop
Company issued laptop
Company issued Wyse thin client
Company issued Windows thin client

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 19, 2021

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Speaking of Teams, at the start of the pandemic and WFH, someone higher up decided we'd be very proactive with our support.

Teams asks users after every call to rate the call quality. I don't know to what degree that is customizable, since I'm not a Teams admin, but a lot of people are annoyed that it asks after every freakin' call.

Secondly, and how it directly affects our team, if ANY call is rated less than a 5/5, it auto-generates a ticket about the call quality that we have to investigate.

4/5 should not generate a ticket, and I'm on the fence that even a 3/5 should.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Email is the absolute worst way to share files/collaborate.

We use OneDrive where I am, but we still have issues with people attaching a document as a file, not OneDrive link, so we get like five loving versions of a document floating around that 4 different people edited on their own.

A single OneDrive link allows EVERYONE to simultaneously edit it, and it has built in versioning, so you can go right back to what it was before without having to sit there and wonder,

"Is Document V1.2 the most recent, or Document V 2.1...in theory it should be 2.1, BUT 1.2 has the most recent Date Modified...maybe Jerry didn't know we moved on to 2.1 and put his edits on 1.2..."

I feel your pain on traditional file shares and not being able to use/edit a file cause someone left it open and left for the day, but that is also solved by OneDrive/Sharepoint.

And what if your local storage shits the bed before you had a chance to move it to the Sharepoint/OneDrive?

No system is perfect, but "everyone emails the actual file back and forth for weeks on end" method is the absolute worst.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

The company I'm contacted for also does not provide free coffee, though there is a cafeteria with a vendor-run kitchen (well, was in pre-COVID) so it's entirely possible that part of their contract was that only THEY can have coffee, or something?

Though every floor has 1 or 2 kitchenettes with a microwave or two, fridge, and a Keurig, so anyone was free to bring their own K-Cups, and at least a couple departments (usually the "nice/fancy" ones like Sales and Marketing) would always have those large Costco boxes of Kirkland K-Cups for their team.

But in the same vein as "penny-wise, pound-foolish," our department had to send multiple emails and calls to various managers before they FINALLY approved us buying two new plastic carts for wheeling around equipment, since over the course of a few years the small, cruddy ones we already had kept breaking more and more. One literally had a wheel fall off while carrying some monitors and broke two $150+ high def monitors, and each of these new carts was a whopping $125.

Now I'm currently in the process of killdisking and throwing away into an e-waste bin laptops that are maybe 2.5 to 3 years old. Good laptops that run $400-$600 used on eBay and Amazon. But the managers/higher ups who got them don't want them anymore and want new ones.

Pretty much everyone on our team that wanted to has taken more than a couple to keep or sell (according to my post history, I've sold at least 9 here on SA Mart alone (though not all of them the $400-$600 models,) nevermind local and eBay). They donated some to some non-profits, but decided the effort to buy non-profit licenses of windows and then have us install and QA them before donating wasn't worth it, so into the e-waste bin (my car) they go.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

You're doing the right thing, re-use them by selling them on ebay. Better for the environment, better for you too.

Yeah, and I know that odds are, all that e-waste is maybe disassembled here in the state and the plastic and metal recycled, and then the actual boards and poo poo are shipped off to Africa, China, or India where children pick through it and a whole town dies of cancer from fumes in the "recycling plant."

Or the recycling place here in the states lies and just ships it to a state where it's legal to throw e-waste in with the regular trash and gets rid of it there.

wooger posted:

It is very much industry dependent I think.

Media & Finance and “cool” tech companies tend to have laughably generous kitchens and free stuff and proper coffee.

Regardless of profitability honestly.

Old fashioned companies are cheap, a former employer of mine, new media adjacent, was cheap enough to:

Makes sense, this company is def. "old fashioned" (founded in mid 1800's.)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Due to lockdown/WFH, the facilities team realized that the past year was the best time to re-organize departments, re-do the site map, implement a better desk numbering system (it's a big office, several floors, multiple departments, about 900 people on site normally, so you need to know that person ABC sits at desk XYZ quickly.)

Not a bad idea.

But...uhh...well, this is the color code from the online site map for each department (I blanked out the departments, but just imagine that next to each color is something generic and office-y like "Sales" and "Human Resources" or "Legal."

I'm not even color blind and I can't tell the difference between half of those.

Why are there so many shades of sort-of-pinkish-or-magenta-or-maybe-fuchsia ?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

https://www.calpeculiarities.com/2017/05/02/random-drug-tests-still-not-advisable/

Random piss tests aren't allowed under normal circumstances in California, so you might be fine.

Same for Vermont, barring special circumstances (certain government jobs, law enforcement, maybe some others.)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

The mileage reimbursement my company uses is changing and, SURPRISE SURPRISE, it's much, much worse.

It went from using a simple online website where we just typed in the mileage, to some half-assed app that we have to install and then turn on and use GPS to track our driver. The app has terrible reviews, absurd permissions, and of course the privacy notice mentions that they will collect as much data as like Amazon or Facebook to sell to who-the-gently caress knows.

AND on top of that, the rates are changing. It went from a simple amount per mile (most recent one was like $0.58, I think, for my area?) to a fixed monthly reimbursment plus a MUCH lower mileage rate.

If you drive a few miles, you actually can come out with more reimbursement...but there's a tipping point of miles in a month, looks to be around 450ish maybe? I haven't done the full math, where you start to lose money.

I drive a LOT of miles for my job, like over 1000 in a month typically, and my quick math shows me now getting about $300 less a month in reimbursement in addition to having to use a crappy app.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

To answer them in order:

I am looking for a new job and have voiced my concerns to like the three levels of manager above me (which basically covers all the ones that are local/I know.) But they aren't high enough in the chain to really make a change , so I will likely have to ask for a big cost of living raise.

I can't get a company car because the OTHER part of this switch is the removal of almost all company/fleet vehicles. Some techs and whatnot that need the larger vans, Ford Transits and such, can keep those, and obviously no executive is losing a car, but every 'rank and file' employee has to turn their company car in by the end of the month (we were also notified of this change last Thursday, the 7th.)

On one of the virtual info/Q&A sessions, I swear one woman was nearly in tears pleading her case because she went to look at cars to buy (she has no personal car, since fleet vehicles could be used for personal use as long as it was tracked) and on top of almost no inventory, there's also absurd APRs and massively inflated car prices! I swear they engineered this for the worst possible timing. She'll said she puts almost 90k miles a year on the fleet car just for work driving, not counting any personal miles, so this new rate system really fucks her over. I'm thinking she will quit (though she also said rather flippantly that the longer drives she used to do, she'll now just fly and expense it. Hope she does.)

And reducing my mileage isn't possible. I am contracted to a single customer, 40 hours a week. So I only drive from my house to there. And that customer really hates Work From home but I might have to force the issue... There's 5 if is from my company contracted to do work there so we can sort of form a coalition and do rotating WFH days, like 1 or 2 each a week.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 13, 2022

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

The IRS sets the tax reimbursement rate, not what your employer may or may not reimburse you. If your employer is reimbursing less than the IRS rate you can claim the difference between the two on your taxes.

Hopefully you understand that claiming this on your taxes is not the same as getting all of that money back, i.e. it's bullshit if your employer isn't reimbursing at LEAST the IRS rate.

They claim it IS the IRS rate, it's just a different type of reimbursement?

Like I said, rather than a straight up "here's the regular IRS recommended rate for full mileage reimbursement" it's a weird combo of a flat reimbursement amount of ~$210 a month PLUS a much lower mileage rate since IN THEORY that flat-amount is designed to cover the wear and tear, depreciation, a small portion of insurance and registration fees, etc... so then the actual mileage rate is much lower.

I mean, it's obviously some BS but they still get to technically claim they are doing what the IRS recommends, or whatever.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

My work is changing mileage ( and, in fact, ALL travel/expense related items) yet again. They are combining four different reimbursement policies, which, to be fair, seems excessive, into a single cohesive one.

I don't do any actual travel, or client meetings, or anything like that. I only use their mileage reimbursement. It changed once last July. I went from getting approx. $800 a month in mileage reimbursement to about $400. Now it looks like I might drop down to $0, but...that's in the air and my managers are looking into it. There's two things that are worded to make it seem like I won't be getting anything.

1) In the "Quick summary" email about changes to the expense policy, there is a line that said

quote:

Mileage incurred commuting to your contractual place of work is not reimbursable

The issue is what "contractual place of work" means. If it means just the main office I "work" out of, then I will still get reimbursed because I never go there. I am basically full time contracted to a client, 40 hours a week at a client that's ~40 miles from my home.

But...there's the rub. I am CONTRACTED to work for that customer, so is THEIR office considered my "contractual place of work"?

2) There is a chart in the longer, full policy linked to in the email that seems to confirm this. It has "Traveling from" on one axis, and "traveling to" on the other.

Traveling form "Home" to a "Non-[employer's] place or work" is a NO for counting as business miles. As is going form home TO my employer's place of work, but going from Employer's place of work to a non-employer's place of work is covered, so in theory if I go to my "main" office I never go to, and from there travel to where I actually work out of, that's reimbursed.

So basically going forward I'm just going to lie and say I start every day at my office and from there go to the client site. I'll just have to adjust the mileage form to reflect the mileage from the office to where I work, which is only like 5 miles less than from my home, so not a HUGE deal.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Two things, sort of related, are really chapping my rear end at work right now because they 100% absolutely don't have to be like this, but, welp, here we are.

I'm on the desktop support team. Don't love it, but I'm a contractor and my company sent me here because they had no other place for me, so it was kind of this or get let go. I was doing more sysadmin and a touch of system engineering before, now it's all desktop support and a touch of sysadmin. But that's more a general gripe than today's specific gripes:

1) Years ago, my manager (who is from the same contracting company I work for (there's one other contracting company here who also has part of the desktop support contract)) lobbied to get the desktop support team to be involved in desk moves. A person changes departments, or the mangers just want to play musical chairs*, the facilities team does anything with the actual desks (if they need the desk height raised/lowered, if they have a keyboard tray attached, if the whole cubicle setup needs rearranging, etc...) but we move all of the PC equipment. There's no real need for this. People can move their own stuff, and on the 1% chance they somehow manage to plug something in wrong, we can come to their desk after the fact to fix it.

But my manager got us involved because, pre-COVID, all desk moves had to be done after-hours or on weekends, and our contract states we get overtime pay for that. So he lobbied for it, and in the first few years he got TONS of OT pay, and the rest of us got some too (moving desks was sort of a volunteer basis, he volunteered every time for the money AND because he's a typical Boomer "hate my job, but I hate my wife more, so I'll stay late all the time! har har har!" kind of guy.)

Then COVID hit so there were no moves for a while, but since we are MOSTLY back to 100% in the office (actual employees can WFH on Mondays and Fridays...we're contractors, and were told we HAVE to be in the office every day) there are more desk moves...but also, because most of the company WFH on Mondays and Fridays, those are the days we do moves now, so we don't even get the extra money. It's just tedious busy work. Plus, we also have an absurd number of temp desks we're setting up all the drat time, because this company has two physical locations, and a bunch of full-time remote people (yes, that upsets the people who live close to the offices since they HAVE to come in when the full time remote people are WFH nearly all the time) who do come in like twice a year. In May, we had to set up 120 temp workstations for a SINGLE WEEK. It was a mix of just USB-C monitors for people with laptops, and a full dual monitor +thin PC setup for users who use the VM infrastructure. On top of regular desktop work and desk moves. In 2022, we did approximately 700 desk moves at just one of the two locations. For a company with only about 1200 employees TOTAL across both locations and remote. So yes, we functionally moved everyone in the building AND THEN SOME. Why are there so many moves? Well, because managers and team leads know that if they ask, he little computer elves have to do it, so they've gotten a LOT more bold with asking for desk moves when ,I poo poo you not, people are moving like one desk over just to be slightly closer to a different teammate.

2) You know the other contracting company I mentioned? Well, according to the contracts, they are actually 100% responsible for ALL of the inventory management. All monitors, laptops, thin clients, etc... have asset stickers and are tracked with who they belong to, what desk they sit at, etc. It's a good system...if it were accurate. They got a huge penalty hit to their contract at the end of 2022 because it was SO out of line with reality. The stock reports saying we were supposed to have like 100 monitors in the stockroom, and the reality was like 30 (number made up, but you get the idea). Laptops and thin clients weren't AS bad, but still not right. So they implemented a new policy last February. Now, only THEIR employees (in fact, only like two of their employees, plus their manager (so three people out of a total dozen or so on the desktop team)) can make changes to the asset database, and only their badges get into the stockroom. So now, the process I need to follow to get a new monitor to employee, is that I take the ticket in the system that says "Equipment request - new monitor" but then I make a SECOND ticket and assign it to the inventory team for them to pull a monitor from the shelf, assign the asset # to the employee, and bring it to me so I can bring it to the employee. Why can't the inventory person just bring it to the employee themselves? I honestly have no idea. Actually, I have an inkling, and that's that the other company wants to artificially increase the total ticket count to make it look like they're doing more work.

So, you know how I mentioned we also do the desk moves? Well part of that includes updating the assets to the new desk location, which we can no longer do. So, again, we have to make tickets and assign it to the inventory team that just says "Update asset info for Laptop 1234 and monitor 5668, keep assigned to same person but update desk to Desk 5A23"

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

My state has had MASSIVE flooding yesterday and today. Official state of emergency from the governor and the feds.

The company I work AT (not for, I'm a contractor for an MSP) has not officially closed their campus, though they did ENCOURAGE everyone to use their best judgement/ WFH if able. Did I mention their in a town that's almost ENTIRELY cut off from the rest of the world right now from all the roads closures and wash outs and bridges that are...gone? Granted, their building is on a big hill away from the floods, but...seriously, we are to use our best judgement?

On top of that, the official word from the company I actually work for (because all they ever do is kowtow to every little thing the client wants) was "WFH for now, but re-evaluate later and go in if you can."

It seems now that's changed to just "everyone WFH" but the fact that they even flittered with the idea of us going in is asinine. The main interstate in the state, the one I'd have to use to get to the building anyway, is closed right at the exits for that town. The surface roads/routes I could take instead of the interstate were closed/washed out well before it was, so...yeah.

Your lives are meaningless in the pursuit of capital.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

So I didn't have to come in to the office yesterday, but all the roads I needed were perfectly clear this morning, so I came in.

Only to find an email sent to everyone (at 8 PM) saying (paraphrased):

"Because of the flooding, there is a boil water notice in town. This means the cafeteria is closed, and the water dispensers will be shut off. There will be bottled water supplied. We encourage everyone who can to work from home, and if you do come in, make appropriate plans."

But due to weird rules that the MSP I work for has...I'm not supposed to have that company's email on my phone. So I never got that email until i saw it...after driving in over an hour to get to the office. Thankfully, I bring my own water and lunch anyway, so I'm fine there, but what a fuckin pain. And here's the kicker:
This company uses a mass alert system (I think called Everbridge?) that has EVERYONE'S phone # who works in the building to send texts or phone calls to. This is employees, as well as all contractors (which at the very least is about 80% of the IT staff, and all of the janitorial and security staff.) for emergencies just like this. I know it works, they has to use it a couple years ago when all the water in the building was off ( so couldn't even use toilets, at least we have that today.)

Did they use it for this emergency? Yes...eventually...at 8:30 AM this morning after most of us already came in.

V V V I know you jest, but since they've done it before at like 5 AM, there's no excuse. V V V

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 12, 2023

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Man, all this new job talk...I really gotta get out of my current position. I'm now 5 years into a "temporary, 6-month" IT contracting assignment.

I just don't know how I'm ever going to get out. I kind of lucked into my current job despite having no real IT skills (beyond "better than the average person in Windows") when I was hired.

I was initially hired to do QA for the e-commerce team, but the company lost its biggest client about a year into my role and had to massively downsize, and I got shifted to the Managed Services team. From there, any skills I picked up were almost entirely just as-needed on the job, I have only done a few actual REAL training courses, but I felt like I was ;picking up some real sysadmin and lower-level systems engineering skills. But then a few years into that, I was told I needed to "fill in" at the (n ow largest) client we had, as an on-site desktop support tech, which is something I've never wanted to do. My previous role was maybe only 10-15% desktop (since the MSP-team had only 1 client we did desktop support for, everyone else was server/backup/monitoring support.) But now it's basically almost entirely desktop support. I've asked several times to get moved back to the MSP team, but they don't have enough clients to support another tech, especially since they'd also lose the 40 billable hours/week they can charge for me at Big Large Client. I asked about moving someone else to this team and I take their place, but I guess everyone else but me gets what they want when they say no, and I'm the one to get hosed over.

I have applied to other jobs off and on the last few years, a couple I've gotten to a second interview with, but they all went with someone else who, surprise surprise, had more skills/experience. I'm actively losing knowledge in this current position that I had because I'm just not in the same systems I used to use daily. Should I just start lying more on my resume/interviews? I feel like I'm perpetually stuck in that same catch-22 of "need experience for the job, need the job to get experience."

That being said, I don't think I want to do IT at all anymore. Never really wanted to do it in the first place, but got stuck in a rut, and I'm barely qualified to do it, but I've been stuck here ten years, so I don't think I'm remotely qualified to do anything else at this point...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Outrail posted:

Absolutely not. What you should do is reevaluate and interpret your skillset and experience so human resources can better understand what you bring to the table and help them recruit a valuable employee.

Yeah, I...have no clue how to do that.

That's the kind of corporate BS talk I hate. "Bring to the table" , "reevaluate and interpret."

There is nothing to reevaluate! It's all there on the resume.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Outrail posted:

It's lying with extra steps so it's not lying.

Instead of 'I once fixed my bosses email when the dumbass changed the settings' it's 'Performed IT functions above and beyond role requirements to ensure team efficiency and cohesiveness'.

I guess in that vein, I feel like my resume is mostly there? I know it needs some updating since last I touched it was like two years ago, though.

Splicer posted:

Post a non-doxy bullet point from your resume, if such a thing exists.

Sure... I just used one of those "resume builder" thingies online, not sure if it's even in a good format (it recommended I go with one highlighting the projects I've worked on), but here's what I got.

Boy...looking at it now, I think I do need to get some more specifics in there? IDK, problem is I don't actually DO much or KNOW much, so...yeah. I try to volunteer for things but the issue is where I am now has a MASSIVELY silo'd IT department. So only the desktop engineering team can do things like make GPO or AD changes, only the Server Team can do things with the servers, only the Infrastructure Team can do things with the Citrix or VMWare environments, etc... and I'm stuck on the deskside team (and can't really move to another team because my company is ONLY contracted for deskside, two other MSPs are contracted for the other teams.)

I have no certifications, a couple training classes that are on the way to them, but until VERY recently, it's been hard to get my company to allow time for training, because an hour of training means one less hour they can bill...and we only FINALLY had access to an online portal with training classes like two years ago. Before that, we ALSO had to beg for money/reimbursement for any sort of training.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Splicer posted:

What do you want to do?

Well, there's the rub...I have no idea. Not this, and not my last job, which is basically the only two things I'm remotely qualified for. Actually, I wouldn't mind too much the WORK I did at my last job, just not the employer or the pay (the problem is they are the only employer in the area, really, in that line of work and I have no desire to move.)

Splicer posted:

Can you afford to take night classes? Could you afford to take a hit in pay or at least not a raise?

No, not really. Maybe a small pay cut if I reduce what I send to my savings and investments (which are not much, a few hundred a month.) Like, I'm by n o means living paycheck to paycheck, but anything more than, say, a 15% pay-cut would be really hard to finagle.

Splicer posted:

Depending on what you want to do early or mid 30s genuinely isn't too late to switch careers, especially if you're in existing employment and willing to start near the bottom.

I'm 40...nearly 41, so...yup.

Thanks for the help everyone, I'll stop shittin' up the thread and take it to the actual careers forum.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Is this thread an appropriate place to talk about specific people at work that are not boss/manager related? Just like "general coworker bitching" or should I take it to some thread in PYF?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

So here's, as best I can, my description of one of the most annoying coworkers I've ever had (well...still have.)

She's in her mid-30's, so a few years younger than me, but also pretty nerdy, so it's clear her "internet coming of age" was a few years behind mine, the mid to late aughts. I say this, because there are times when it seems her brain is still stuck in that time period. Like...she is a little perma-internet-brained, but for the internet like 15 years ago. She FREQUENTLY says things like "FTW", "epic fail" and, I poo poo you not, "le epic [noun]" and other cringe poo poo like that all the time. She references old memes like that, and when no one reacts to her decade+ old "joke", she will say something like,
"Oh come ON, we're all nerds here, I know you know that meme!" But...most of the people here aren't that nerdy? Like...for an IT support team, it is some of the least "nerdy" group I've seen. Part of it is the team is like half people over 50, and even a couple of the guys in their 30's just sort of "fell" into an IT job (like me) but without the typical background of "always playing around on computers" (which is like me.) so her references really are lost on these people, but she keeps trying. Though she does pepper in newer-stuff, too. Like...she frequently says "unalive" or "unalived" in place of dead, suicide, etc... Now, maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the main reason certain online spaces use those terms was just to get around filters/monetization that would flag words like "suicide, "killed, etc...? So when I hear someone say "unalive" out-loud, it honestly reads to me as someone being a "try-hard" at being The Most PC Person because the meaning of using those terms got weirdly morphed into "oh no, you HAVE to say unalive, it's the correct way now!" And I daresay, she is a poster-child for The Most PC Person, where it loops back around to sort-of self-parody. Like...she is the strawman that conservatives think all liberals/leftists actually are.

That alone wouldn't be so bad, but she also has a touch of "Main Character Syndrome" (and yes, I realize the irony of using an internet-phrase to describe someone who I said is perma-internet-brained, but I'm doing it here...ON the internet, not in real life.)

She seems to think we ALL care about every minutia of her life, and is always saying things like "Oh no..." or "Wow..." out of the blue, clearly trying to get SOMEONE to ask her what she's reacting to, so she can then go on about some news story she just read, or a note from her doctor about XYZ, etc... Always describing what she's doing. Like...we aren't baby-sat at this job, we're adults in an adult job, we don't have to ask permission to go to the bathroom, or cafeteria, or even go for a walk for a few minutes. But she seems to either think she DOES have to make an announcement she's doing one of those things, or just feels we really want to know. Not so much the bathroom part, at least, but drat near anything else she gets up from her desk to do, there will likely be an announcement about it. Even things AT her desk, like when she's calling a user to assist them. We don't need to know you're making a call! This isn't like a high-intensity call-queue oriented job. I'm probably not making it sound as bad as it is, but my GOD, she really just never shuts up, she has to be talking about something, so if there's nothing of substance, she has to talk about what she's physically doing. Even something like her sneezes require additional commentary from her. I'm not sure I've heard her sneeze without a follow-up statement, usually along the lines of:
"Oww...." or
"Oooh, that one hurt."

The big kicker was last week, she had some mandatory training she had to do from her contracting company (different company that I work for) so she told us she was doing the training, and it was about two hours, and to basically pretend she's not here. Not to assign her tickets, or ask her questions unless it's an emergency. Ok, sure, makes sense. But then CONSTANTLY throughout her online training she's doing that same poo poo. Just every couple of minutes talking BACK to the training, saying things like:
"No, that's not right."
"Oh NO, why?!"
"Ugh, this is so stupid..."

Again, seemingly trying to goad us into asking her about it so she could pause it to explain* how the training is CLEARLY useless and wrong because she knows best about everything.

*And my GOD, when she explains things to someone, she is ALWAYS talking down to you like you're a five year old. And her cadence of speech is VERY annoying, too. Basically, almost every other word has some odd emphasis. Best I can do to describe it:

"So this training is dumb because everyone knows you can't accurately do the thing that's asked because of [reasons]."

A few weeks ago, we shuffled desks around and I ended up being right next to her. Officially, we all moved around because her had a new hire coming in, and the manager (who's old seat I took) said he wanted the new hire in my old seat because it was more centrally located, so easier for the new hire to ask questions to everyone, etc... Ok, makes sense. But there was no reason for HIM to move. I could have just moved my desk to the desk he ended up taking...but nope, he moved out and took that desk (coincidentally, about as far from her desk as possible) and I took his. I'm 99T% sure it's because she's an annoying chatter-box, because before I sat here, HE was the "target" of all her comments, questions, etc... and now I am.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Thesaurus posted:

Gotta beat this annoying coworker at her own game and start incorporating as many SA references as possible (what's her username btw?)

From what I can tell, I don't think so, but maybe I can drop a stairs reference and see what happens...

The other big issue with her is that she is calling out more than anyone I have ever seen. It's a running joke here that if she actually works a full week, it's a miracle. Her contracting company gives her functionally unlimited suck days, but she's hourly, so it's her paycheck at the end of the day that hurts when she's not here (and yes, she always complains about money issues.)

And speaking of BOTH of those things combining beautifully:

last week on Monday morning, she sent out a notice saying she hurt her hand over the weekend, and had to take the afternoon off, and then ALL OF TUESDAY for a doctor's appointment. Right before she sent that notice, she sent me a chat message that she was happy because she just bought a new PS5 over the weekend.

And when she was finally back in the office on Wednesday, you bet she had a wrist splint on and was also complaining her car has an exhaust problem and she doesn't have the money to fix it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Another mild coworker rant, but this time I have no idea who it is, other than PROBABLY a dude on the third floor.

There is a serial "snot-smearer" on, most likely, the third floor. ALL of the men's room stalls on that floor, especially the back of the stall doors, are routinely COVERED in boogers. It's disgusting. Thankfully, I'm on the fourth floor, and I almost never see any up here (I do sometimes see them, so either he occasionally is up here, or someone else does some smearing at a smaller frequency.)

Now, granted, it's not my work's fault that he exists and does this. But it IS their fault that it's almost never cleaned up. It's kind of a symptom of a larger problem that the custodial staff is pretty lousy with the bathroom cleaning. I've sent notes to facilities (I don't mention specifics re: boogers, I just say I feel the overall cleanliness is poor and sometimes I have pointed out the walls need cleaning) but to no avail. And it's not just the walls, overall the floors, sinks, etc.. are gross. Oddly enough, the actual toilets themselves are the one thing they seem to clean often and well.

I know custodial work is not great, pretty thankless, etc... I've only had to do it as part of other jobs (like cleaning bathrooms when doing retail in a mom and pop hardware shop that didn't have dedicated custodial staff) but c'mon, the boogers are RIGHT THERE! Give the walls, like, a weekly scrap or something.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

A couple years ago, because we still have plenty of PC monitors in use with no display port, some manager bought us a giant box of DP to DVI adapters since all our docking stations and thin clients use DP (just like my ex...sadly I wasn't one of the D's :smith:)
But, managers gonna manage, they bought some of the cheapest pieces of poo poo.

You never think you'd miss knurling and screw slots on the strain relief connectors until they're gone.

It's a massive PITA to try and screw these into monitors when there's no room for your fingers. And since so many of the users here like to have Ergotron sit/stand desks, the strain reliefs are actually needed or else they come loose from the frequent up/down motion and slight tugging (which is all I got from my ex)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

Who has a bunch of DVI only screens in tyool 2023 and decides to get DP to DVI adapters instead of throwing those antiques out and just getting screens made within the last decade? :psyduck:

If you're really pinching pennies you could probably have gotten refurbed screens with DP for less than what your company spent on those garbage adapter cables.

Sorry about your ex. But engaging in self harm like this is not the solution.

This place is the epitome of "penny-wise, pound-foolish" for desktop support. They finally got a manager who understands things better a few months ago, so hopefully we'll get on the right track.

But the previous...3(?) managers in just the five and a half years I've been here would blow the budget terribly because they'd keep doing small orders here and there of like five laptops, then a dozen monitors. The new guy was like "no, we'll place like one HUGE order for two hundred monitors and two dozen laptops to get volume discounts"

And don't worry about me, I was just having a jest. The thing with the ex was like 5 years ago, in a better place now...ugh, emotionally, not job-wise.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

~Coxy posted:

:raises paw:

We have those same docks (Dell WD19s*, it looks like?) and GOD, they suck.

Only 3 USB-A ports.

Most of the people here have 4 USB devices. Mouse, keyboard, webcam, and headset.

SOME of our keyboards have an extra USB port or two, but most most. And I guess asking people to use the built-in webcam in their laptops isn't cool (cause the quality and angle is bad) so...yup. Most people are ok with plugging in their dock and ONE other USB device into their laptop when they come into the office to dock it, but others complain about a whopping two plugs they have to plug in, so they get a USB-C to USB-A hub to plug into the dock to add more ports.

*I think that's a 19S because I don't see a headphone jack on the front, which I think is the only difference?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

We've been told that our current PDF editing software, eCopy, is EOL and we are NOT to deploy it.

We also license Adobe Acrobat to some users, but we've also been told we are out of licenses in our portal and we will NOT be purchasing any more of those under any circumstances.

The new PDF editing software we are going to start using, Kofax, isn't ready yet and there is absolutely no ETA at all.

So this means anyone who is hired or transferred to a role where they need to edit PDFs is basically poo poo out of luck and won't be able to do that part of their job function for some nebulous amount of time.

And this company has about 1200 employees, and is massively expanding and hiring close to a dozen more every month (and losing maybe 5 people a month on average) and I'd say HALF the employees now have and use either eCopy or Adobe Pro. So if the hiring trends match the current state of things, there's going to be a LOT of angry new hires, hiring managers, and corporate trainers.

The solution is simple. If security says we can't use the old one, and engineering says the new one isn't ready...just temporarily buy more Adobe licenses! But engineering (who also handles licenses) is also refusing to do that.

This company already wastes untold amounts of money in IT, what's another few thousand for some Adobe licenses*? The biggest waste, IMO, is that we don't charge departments for their equipment, which I know plenty of places do. It CAN work fine, if people don't abuse it...but people abuse it.

If someone wants a new laptop because their current one is "old" (i.e., maybe two years, still a year left on the extended warranty)? Well, if they or their manager is even remotely important, it gets approved and it's all out of our budget. Or even if they're not important but throw a big enough of a fuss, or maybe get denied their first request but then "accidentally" drop their laptop or spill coffee on it. So we go throw most laptops before they're really done, because we also aren't' going to give out a two year old one to a new employee if we can help it.

*We could probably scrape buy on 25 licenses, and at $15/user/month, that's under $5000 for a year, and we don't need a full year (though maybe Adobe requires a years purchase?) But still, that's like two less laptops and docking stations to buy for the year, we can manage around that. Especially if we stop acquiescing to people who piss and moan for a new laptop every year.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 20, 2023

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

2) You know the other contracting company I mentioned? Well, according to the contracts, they are actually 100% responsible for ALL of the inventory management. All monitors, laptops, thin clients, etc... have asset stickers and are tracked with who they belong to, what desk they sit at, etc. It's a good system...if it were accurate. They got a huge penalty hit to their contract at the end of 2022 because it was SO out of line with reality. The stock reports saying we were supposed to have like 100 monitors in the stockroom, and the reality was like 30 (number made up, but you get the idea). Laptops and thin clients weren't AS bad, but still not right. So they implemented a new policy last February. Now, only THEIR employees (in fact, only like two of their employees, plus their manager (so three people out of a total dozen or so on the desktop team)) can make changes to the asset database, and only their badges get into the stockroom. So now, the process I need to follow to get a new monitor to employee, is that I take the ticket in the system that says "Equipment request - new monitor" but then I make a SECOND ticket and assign it to the inventory team for them to pull a monitor from the shelf, assign the asset # to the employee, and bring it to me so I can bring it to the employee. Why can't the inventory person just bring it to the employee themselves? I honestly have no idea. Actually, I have an inkling, and that's that the other company wants to artificially increase the total ticket count to make it look like they're doing more work.

So quoting myself from several months ago.

The inventory got WORSE (as a lot of us knew it would) with only those two people in charge. One of them just...didn't do most of his job. He left in early fall (should have been fired before that, but not my decision), so for a month or two before that, it was a complete roll of the dice if he assigned equipment correctly. So most of us got in the habit of double checking, and when we reminded him to assign it, he'd just say "oh yeah, I forgot" or "Yeah I got the list, I'm just going to do them all in a big batch later." Which can be a valid strategy...but sometimes this was days or weeks later.
We had to set up about 150 temp workstations for a conference... none of the stuff he set up was "checked out" of the stockroom. Like 50 monitors and thin clients all still recorded as "in stock."

The other guy meant well, but...he is just too disorganized to do this job. Everything would get written down on random scraps of paper and either lost, or one piece got in the wrong pile so it was mis-assigned, or he'd enter all the stuff he did so late, it had already changed by the time he'd get to it.

For example:
Let's use that same conference. He set up a bunch of the temp workstations and wrote down where they all went...but he was so slow at entering the info in, we collected it all and returned it to stock at the end of the week when the conference was over. And he got about halfway through his list of changing them to the temp seats before we noticed and told him not to bother because it was all back in stock. But he still wanted a "record" that they went to the floor for a week and back. So we let him finish...but then he never entered like half of them back into stock after changing them to being on the floor.

So he was taken off that team, and I was added to it (even though there are weird issues with the contract where I don't think I'm supposed to be but...whatever.) and a new person was hired in late July to assist when the first guy quit. She was actualyl VERY useful and helpful, and she was great at organizing things. Cleaned up the stockroom and put things in better places, etc...But she got sick of her commute and left in November, and no was else has been hired/added to the equipment team so it's basically just me.*

The benefit? I'm in charge of the inventory. I can keep it organized, and the information is accurate.

The downside? Everything else. I TRY to insist upon people not to wait till the last minute to ask for things, but it's inevitable that I'll be in the middle of something else, and I'll be asked to go downstairs to the stockroom to get a new monitor for someone because they need it ASAP for some reason. And no sooner do I bring that back upstairs than someone asks for something else.

*There are 3 other people with access to the stockroom and the rights to make changes to the equipment database in case I'm not around. My manager, the telecommunications guy, and the audio/visual guy. And technically even if NONE of us are around, the security or facilities team can let someone into the stockroom to get things in emergencies, and they can just send me info on what they took and who it's for and I can enter it in later.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Atopian posted:

Establish and publicise "hardware times" at an appropriate interval (twice daily? Once daily? Once weekly?), collect requests and fulfil them when the next scheduled time rolls around.

Allow fulfilment outside those times, but make it somewhat slow/annoying (add a form, slow-walk it), so that people get used to getting best results from the established times.

I assure you, I have tried drat near everything. I try to only go down there two or three times a day (oh, and have I mentioned I've got persistent bursitis and tendonitis in my foot since July and I'm currently wearing an orthopedic boot? Cause I do and I am. So it's really annoying for me to make these frequent trips.)

The problem arises that one of two things happen:
1)The other IT tech tells me they only JUST heard about it from the user, who says it's an emergency and they need it now.
or 2) They fully admit they forgot to ask earlier...BUT the user needs it now because they are leaving early for the day and it's important work from home equipment they need.

So I have to still go get off my rear end and get the stuff, because we can't possibly inconvenience any of our users in any way, shape, or form. Never mind the fact that 99% of the time, these are not "user down" scenarios. They are,
"I have mismatched monitors, can I get a newer Dell to replace the older HP so both are Dells?" scenarios.

But again...upper management has told us we, as best we can, have to fulfill these requests from the business users ASAP and then gently remind them that we prefer as much advance notice, and a formal ticket in the online portal request system. But when we make exceptions to the rules every time, there's functionally no rules.

There's really only one other tech who seemingly does try his best to inform me ahead of time and not have every request be ASAP. But he always does so in the most annoying manor.
1) He will walk up and tell me that he is putting in an equipment request for a monitor, for user Generic Person, who sits at Desk 123.
2) He then puts in the request with all the same info he told me. Which, BTW, emails me, appears in my online ticket portal queue, AND SENDS ME A TEAMS MESSAGE. So I really didn't need #1. Or the upcoming #3.
3) He then walks BACK over and tells me he just put the ticket in, and gives me all the details about it again.

And then once he gets the equipment and swaps it out for the user, he then has the broken equipment he has to bring back, and then repeat steps 1-3 for the disposal of the equipment.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I live and work in the Path of Totality for the Apr 8 solar eclipse. I took that day off months ago, and even if it might be really cloudy or rainy that day, I'm still hopeful and excited.

But my office has made no plans/announcements about this. I wouldn't expect them to close for the day (although almost every school and daycare in our region already has,) but maybe a little notice like,
"Hey, yeah, so the population of the entire state is going to increase by as much as 1/4 that day, concentrated almost entirely in a couple counties, so maybe, like, work from home, stay off the roads, etc..?"

But nothing. Seriously, the state pop is like 625,000 and best guest estimate are as many as 200,000 visitors that day, and they will ALL be on the roads when the eclipse is done, which, hey wow, look at that, pretty dang close to when people would be leaving work! Some officials think some roads are going to be backed up potentially for hours, just pure gridlock. My friend lives off a side road from a major highway that goes to one of our islands, and some people are reporting that it might be just pure chaos all day. He won't be able to leave his house, most likely. Cell towers could be overloaded, etc...

I don't plan to leave my house, with maybe the exception to go to a local park on the lake for the "main event." I'm in the largest city here, but in a pure residential area on the outskirts with no hotels, very few restaurants, even, so I'm hoping that most visitors will go to the more downtown core parks/lakefront and not the smaller one in my neighborhood.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I'm on a team meeting, and we invited someone from the IT Security team to chat with us about the Distribution Groups we have here.

He asked how many distribution groups we thought were here. None of us were even close. It's over 90,000.

To put it in perspective, this place has under 1500 employees and maybe another 800 contractors.

Edit: But it's an insurance company that sells through independent agents, so that's the main reason there's so many. Agents comer and go and get put on one DG over here, another over there, whole groups are functionally empty, but no one ones that job to go through them all cause...yeah.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

ponzicar posted:

When you all say you have tens of thousands of unread emails, I assume they are mostly automated "server x ping is critical" "a ticket has been updated" "here's your Microsoft newsletter that you never signed up for"? How many are direct communication from real people in your company?

And to add to this...why not make rules to move those to a folder, or delete them, or something if you don't need to see/read them?

I am IMPLORING all you unread inbox email assholes to just right click->Mark all as read on your inbox.

My Inbox I HAVE to keep all as read. I don't actually read all of them, I am VERY skilled at scanning quickly after even a couple days of being out what emails are important, opening those, marking the rest as read, then getting back to the ones I opened.

The number of times I've had to say "Oh, I missed that email" and MEANT IT are slim to nill, because if I'm actively at my desk, or come back after being in the bathroom, getting lunch ,etc.. and there's a few unread emails, I notice IMEDIATELY and can look at them. I just say that when it's something I don't want to do/put off.

If you just have an inbox of thousands and thousands of unread emails, no rules to send automated server messages/spam/marketing to other folders, I'm going to guess you say you missed an email and MEAN it, yeah?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

*Narrowing my eyes at the IT tech with 'Born to Agile' written on his graphic tee and wearing a Report Spam icon button.* ... Whose side are you on?

Born to Agile, forced to Waterfall.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

The two managers I interact with the most, the one right above me (A) and the one above him (B), are the WORST when it comes to both micro-managing, AND not being observant of the most recent developments in the issues they're trying to micromanage.

Example:

An email will come in to our department's mailing list, or maybe one/both of them is just CC'd on an email about an issue. It might not even be a pressing issue, could just be some user (who, BTW, is also bypassing the ticketing process by emailing us, and the official policy is that we we are SUPPOSED to tell them to submit a ticket or call the help line, but that's another issue) having a minor problem, like Printer 123 isn't working for them, but 456 is ok, so not a huge priority.

There might even be some back and forth Replay All emails to the user, and we fix the problem, and she even sends a "Thanks, everyone!" email.

Well, then Manager A and B finally get done a meeting they had and back to their desks, and the same sequence of events ALWAYS happens:
B sees the first email. Doesn't remotely bother to check that we've replied and even fixed it, just immediately blasts out a reply (which means he ALSO has to ignore the diaglue box from Outlook telling him he's not replying to the most recent email in the chain):
"We are on top of this, Megan! Someone from Desktop support, please contact Megan ASAP!"

Then A, who sits right next to me, sees B's email reply first before he also sees any of the preceeding conversations (I assume he has a rule where emails from Manger B always get priority or go to a folder marked "Read this right away!") and will wheel his chair over and tell me to go help Megan right away! B asked about it, and the first email was an hour agho, and it's top priority.

And, time after time, I tell A we fixed it already, it's even in the email chain, and we post-facto made a ticket and closed it.

I need to gain access to their Outlook and switch it to Conversation View.

Use Conversation View, people! At least if you're the type to frequently miss the most recent email in a chain.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Sorry for lack of full details, I'm not on the A/V team so hearing this from them:

Company upgraded a bunch of AV stuff for their main presentation room. It already had multiple cameras, projectors, decent sound system, etc... so this was more a "back end" upgrade on the stuff "running the show", so to speak.

Well, they now discovered that the new equipment they have recognizes that they're broadcasting the meetings/presentations to multiple locations (Zoom to both WFH people and the company's other physical building) and, as a result, they can't play licensed music anymore. It knows it's being streamed and refuses to send the audio. This was discovered for the first time during a BIG meeting with CEO and board of directors.

It wasn't found during the dry run-through because that was local-only, they weren't doing any testing of the Zoom stream then, just the local multimedia aspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

20 Blunts posted:

this doesnt sound right to me

I checked with the AV guys today, and I had it slightly wrong.

It doesn't refuse to play music when streaming to another location, it's just if it's projecting anything on the overhead.

The hardware (a Crestron unit,) has HDCP and, for a time, the AV team was able to bypass it. But they did some sort of update and now if the Crestron is presenting, the DRM on a lot of music is detected and it will just not broadcast audio from the PC that's piping it into the Crestron unit itself.

They did a workaround for a time by just having a laptop stream audio out to it's AUX port into an AUX input on the AV receiver, but then all the syncing/starting/stopping had to be done manually.

They did get a proper license for Spotify that, in theory, should allow music to be played...but even that got hosed up because the Buyer in the company who did the actual purchasing did so under HER work email account, not a shared account. I assume at this point they moved the license to a shared service account, but IDK.