Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Well I've basically done my job so well I don't have any tasks left for my team.

This is a good thing for me, and will likely result in a promotion.

My team will be scattered to the winds since team leads don't manage their members directly.

Feels bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Lmao. I've been a machinist since I was 13 and have been an engineer for 5 years and people still treat me like I'm a college grad and I don't understand turbomachinery.

Business is hosed.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

SniperWoreConverse posted:

No idea what this is but it sounds fuckin metal as hell

The mechanical poo poo that enables pumping out the tanks of a falcon 9 in 50 seconds.

Also jet engines.

It is very metal :haw:

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Lazyfire posted:

We had a contractor who was proud he didn't read emails. He would tell our coworkers in meetings that he only checked his inbox once in the morning and once before he left and if you needed him to do something you had to call him. Problem is that, as a buyer (and my only backup), all our quotes were communicated through email and our company policy is to keep a paper trail. It took almost six months to clean up his mess when he was laid off due to COVID staff reductions.

Oh poo poo was he my buyer?

I'm glad if so. Cancelled an order on a part without asking if that was cool.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Lazyfire posted:

It depends on where you land sometimes. I had someone explain to me what their job as a Buyer in mainline supply chain was once: all the suppliers and prices are determined for you, the schedule you submit orders is known and other people take care of tracking the order once it's submitted. All you have to do is create the purchase order along with the company required paperwork. Then they offered me a job doing that if I ever got bored of being the buyer for my group.

In my group I am responsible for getting quotes, determining the vendor, actually ordering parts and tracking delivery. Plus managing vendors, getting agreements and contracts in place and reviewing engineering drawings for manufacturability. The company actually tracks me as an Engineer rather than a Buyer because of all that. I would go crazy if all I did was issue orders all day.

Lmao, same. In the production environment the MBA dropouts just fingerfuck PO text all day.

In my team, I'm responsible for everything including quality for development orders.

They make way more than me.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Wage theft is much easier from home. Just have 'wifi issues' once a week for 2.5 hours and play a game.

The real trick is getting them to pay for your overhead.

Samuel L. Hacksaw fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 13, 2021

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Noblesse Obliged posted:

“Mr Hacksaw. Thank you for joining me today. Your metrics have some issues. We see a remarkable drop in data transfer from your device this month. While I understand you’ve been having data issues I’m afraid that as a Remote Contractor that stable internet is a requirement to submit invoicing for your time. As such we will not be paying you for any period where data activity falls below this arbitrary threshold we control.”

They already use 'ergo-tools' to monitor keystrokes and mouse movement.

But the folks that implemented it for productivity tracking left and now they think it's a real ergo tool. I got my friend in IT to give me my admin credential so I can remove software.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

ilmucche posted:

Someone sent a scan of their passport to the wrong printer in our office once. It got printed by the printer made for spitting out big drawings, so a passport sized image bang in the middle of like a 2m wide sheet of paper

I hope it got hung in their cube. Someone autoscale printed a document on our plotter and now it's their cube wallpaper.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Yeah, chief and subject matter expert positions are hilarious. You literally just have to do 2 things: tell people their design is dumb and be old enough to remember the previous design cycle. Those are the requirements.

Coming from a competitor is also good.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Just ask hr after the interview. If it's a deal breaker anyway what do you care if they know you smoke.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
It's all good, my point was to say gently caress companies for testing for drug metabolites.

What I do outside of work is my business, as long as I'm sober on the clock, they can gently caress off with that poo poo.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
How long does it take your companies to process an internal job posting? We're at 3 weeks now, 2 of those in the hiring managers hands waiting for an interview decision.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Yeah, this career track ends up managing multi-billion dollar programs so there's a weird ad-hoc executive council where they workshop who should go where.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
In the 12 months prior to me taking my position like 8 other people tried and failed lmao.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
My place just implemented accurate timekeeping by letting salaried employees log more than 8 hrs a day.

Planning for next year just started and the shocked pikachu face emoji is getting a workout in the leadership teams channel.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
As a team lead I get to hit all the projects my team works plus overhead. My timesheet usually has like 15+ rows, tacked in 6 minute increments.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Smik posted:

It's a retailer (that wants to be called "the working and learning company").

Well Dwight, maybe you should focus on your rustic farmhouse bnb project. This one sounds unfun.

In other news, we had a diversity and inclusion lunch n learn about Asian-targeting hate crime because of recent happenings.

When QnA opened someone asked "Hey, why are the only asians on the screen paid consultants?"

That went over like a fart in an all day Kaizen meeting :smith:

Samuel L. Hacksaw fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Apr 29, 2021

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

ClothHat posted:

(Two weeks ago)
Boss: I want you to implement changes to the way you do this thing, either do it as A or do it as B.
I go ahead and implement option B.

(Today)
Boss: How is it going implementing the thing?
Me: Good, I've implemented option B across the board.
Boss: I wanted you to do option A.
Me: I thought you said option A or B.
Boss: I don't think B is enough, I think it needs to be A.
Me: Ok if you want A I'll implement that instead.
Boss: Well it's not about what I want, I would like you to poll the team and see if that's what they want. You need to look at what are the outcomes of doing B and if that's sufficient or if we need option A.
Me: Ok just to be clear, do you want me to go to the team and ask their opinion, or stick with B for now and evaluate how it's working, or just switch to A now?
Boss: I want you to do A.

I got a not-boss like that. I ignore him and do whatever b/c he doesn't review me and isn't included in leadership development reviews b/c he was terrible as a leader.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Was he yelling about suppliers being unable to read a blueprint?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
The tricks to managing are apathy and lies. Pretend to care, but don't fall for the trap of actually caring.

That's how you get managers that buy into corporate culture.

Of course shelter your team from dickheads. That should be the only source of stress. It's a big one though depending on workplace.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I don't use handrails because i'm not ancient or an idiot with 0 balance

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

SkyeAuroline posted:

Remember that whole "one ancient workstation with worn out hardware that will eventually fail on us, that is the linchpin of our whole database process and losing it to a hardware failure means our processing times go from seconds or minutes to hours" deal?

Guess what hardware failed today

Sorry the shitter is clogged.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Better than the config management team constantly updating their audit checklist and never sharing it with the BoM team.

Love getting a dozen turnbacks b/c one dude couldn't be assed to send a process update email.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I just had my managers on my team meeting for the first time in a while, and now they're all mad that my team performs so well and I don't hold their hands.

Tough titties, just loving let the employees work. I'll keep going to your stupid meetings and adding to the backlog though.

Idgaf what the official leadership operating model is.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Oh I know this one because it just happened to me!

They leave aerospace and defense for software engineering because the pay is better.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Shageletic posted:

Catching up on this thread and holy lol this
Yup but I was trapped in a car and had no idea why she wanted to talk to me, her employee who she never even really talked to before.

Felt like I was in a gynecological Training Day

She wanted to gently caress you and your coworker.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
You don't have to actually be friends, you can treat it like a dating sim where you get better jobs as you level up your friendship with the right people.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I'm jumping the gun and running my team by 'agile' now. I've actually always done it and just showed waterfall style reports to management.

Hopefully when the real deployment rolls around they don't force me to use points. That just makes people think about getting the max points per sprint rather than focusing on features that add value.

I just run my team with 2 week work plans and manage priority and drop ins ad-hoc through IM, eliminating the stand-up overhead in favor of a one per week team meeting we use for risk management, flowdown, etc.

Samuel L. Hacksaw fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 3, 2021

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
gently caress them take all your leave. It's part of your compensation if you're salary.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Configuration management teams hire people with the least possible foresight possible. This is to ensure constant process updates that the managers can bill as 'improvements'.

I feel your pain

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I like to tell managers, "that sounds like a (company name) staffing problem, not a problem MY team can solve. " when they ask my team to work free O/T because they are chronically understaffed

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
It's gonna be fun on day 1 when nobody goes in.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Ever notice how their home offices are furnished by the company?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

goatface posted:

So is mine tbh. I got the tech, I got the chair, I was offered a desk but declined.

Our execs have giant expensive L-desks, leather chairs (still ergo chairs so like 10k) and book cases, along with a company standard locking file cabinet.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Hey guy working hardware family A, run a change for hardware family B, that you haven't worked on in 5 years .

No, there's no extra money for you to spend walking into walls because you don't know as much about this commodity.

Cool, I'm gonna overspend this poo poo.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
That's enough money to buy citizenship in a tax haven that won't extradite you to stand trial for embezzlement.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Lazyfire posted:

We're about a month out from our Agile training and it's resulted in two projects "going agile." In both cases this consists of the project lead calling our chaotic concurrent design/buy/build process Agile. One of these programs is so bad I'm starting to think the program manager may be illiterate or have memory issues. When the customer for that program pointed out that the meetings had nothing in common with the Agile process the manager responded with "you know, this is all new to me and I really didn't get what we were taught. We were told to be Agile and so now this is an Agile program." The designer and I had to conspire to convince him that as a contractor he wasn't allowed on site with the current COVID protocols just to avoid him trying to "help" with some measurements we needed. He sent a subjectless email to our lead Deployed Systems guy that was just "I heard there's another workstation we could buy. Is it good?" No mention of what the needs are for the program, nothing on what is currently being tracked, not even an email train to work through leading up to that request. If I didn't know exactly what was happening I would think that was a spam message or sent before it was completed.

Is he a 66 y/o named Rich? If so I might have fired him from my team 5 years ago for that poo poo.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It would be great if everyone weren't trying to staff every position with the absolute best possible candidate. Just put whoever in there if they're competent. Whatever. Very few of us do anything that's actual crucially important.
Get ready for this poo poo to happen then.

Boss: Why is your team taking longer to complete tasks after experiencing 80% turnover?

Me: New Hires aren't as good as incumbent employees at working, what do you mean?

Boss: NO EXCUSES, GET CONTROL OF YOUR TEAM!

So I left that company and went to work for their customer.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Smik posted:

So serious question -- how widespread does everyone think this level of mismanagement really is spread? Knowing that new hires take awhile to learn the ropes, that high turnover means massive knowledge loss, this is all basic management stuff, right? RIght?!

In every management video game I've ever played, there has never been an "NO EXCUSES!" option. Is there really that much distribution of stupid in the world?

I've had 11 jobs and the more prestigious ones were generally better due to competing for talent with other big Engineer destination jobs like NASA, Caterpillar, automakers and aerospace mfgrs.

Every small machine shop sucked, every retail job sucked, bus driving sucked. All my internships and my current position own(ed).

Outsource for my company sucks, and I worked for v given before I hooked the fence. I send no work to my old department, I use other suppliers for that and I specifically tell them why (they hosed me out of 7k and I have first hand experience with their poor engineering QA).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Imagined posted:

The technology absolutely exists to track absolutely everything you do in the vicinity of a laptop.

I shuttered my laptop camera and plugged the microphone port with blu-tac after I noticed the mic settings kept changing to re-enable it. I even hosed with the register to disable it semi-permanently and they fixed it.

gently caress you.